Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 106 Old 01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
mml

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just have to learn how to hook it up.

When you back up a dvd can you add chapters? Does it save the menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Any DVDR copying will have to be realtime. Realtime copying will not have commercial menus or chapters. If you had a DVDR w/HDD you could recreate the chapters but you won't have direct access to them (with a thumbnail) like the original. (OK maybe some old Toshiba DVDRs could create thumbnails for chapters but not any current DVDRs).
To retain chapters and menus you need to use a computer and somewhat bootlegged software. You will also lose some PQ using a filter, the computer will be lossless.
post #93 of 106 Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM

After learning on its website that the Grex was supposed to preserve closed captions, I ordered one to use in backing up my copy-protected "mouseland" VHS tapes. To my disappointment, I have found that its preservation of closed captions is less than perfect. In two out of three attempts so far, there are numerous missing words and letters in the closed caption output from the Grex. It looks as if passing the video signal through the Grex weakens the closed caption component of the signal, causing parts of the captions to drop out and become unreadable.

I have no doubt that the Grex is the culprit. When I play a copy-protected tape directly from my VCR to my TV, the closed captions are perfect. Also, if I record a non-copy protected VHS from the VCR to the hard disk of my Magnavox 2160 DVDR and then play that recording on my TV, the closed captions are again perfect. It is only when, for copy-protected VHS, I put the Grex between the VCR and the Mag 2160 that the captions get garbled.

SO... what video stabilizer product would you folks recommend I get that will not garble closed captions by weakening the signal? Apart from the Grex, none of the others I have checked address the issue of closed captions on their websites, so I hope some of you folks have actually tried this on your units.

Thanks for your advice!
post #94 of 106 Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

You could email this guy
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14985551
I think he makes or at least sells the Video Filter. From what I've read it's a quality product but I don't know if it effects the CCs.
post #95 of 106 Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickl144 View Post

After learning on its website that the Grex was supposed to preserve closed captions, I ordered one to use in backing up my copy-protected "mouseland" VHS tapes. To my disappointment, I have found that its preservation of closed captions is less than perfect. In two out of three attempts so far, there are numerous missing words and letters in the closed caption output from the Grex. It looks as if passing the video signal through the Grex weakens the closed caption component of the signal, causing parts of the captions to drop out and become unreadable.

I have no doubt that the Grex is the culprit. When I play a copy-protected tape directly from my VCR to my TV, the closed captions are perfect. Also, if I record a non-copy protected VHS from the VCR to the hard disk of my Magnavox 2160 DVDR and then play that recording on my TV, the closed captions are again perfect. It is only when, for copy-protected VHS, I put the Grex between the VCR and the Mag 2160 that the captions get garbled.

SO... what video stabilizer product would you folks recommend I get that will not garble closed captions by weakening the signal? Apart from the Grex, none of the others I have checked address the issue of closed captions on their websites, so I hope some of you folks have actually tried this on your units.

Thanks for your advice!

I use the CT-200, the DP-5000 and the DP-X7000 and if the captions are showing on the source signal they will be on the copy. You can't keep the choice of CC or no CC though.
post #96 of 106 Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks jjeff, I did contact Logic Design earlier, and he said his Video Filter does preserve closed captions. But since he makes it and would be biased, I'm afraid I could wind up with a situation like I have now with the Grex - taking the vendor's word for it, and being disappointed by real-life performance.

To get around vendor claims, I'd like to hear the experience of users who actually have put a Video Filter to the test with Closed Captions. It would also be good, not just for me but potentially for others in the future, to find out if any of the other products out there, like the dp-5000 or the Apple TV Converter, do a good job at preserving readable Closed Captions after removing CP.
post #97 of 106 Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have personally designed the Video FIlter and can tell you that CC is something specific that has been addressed. I encourage someone that has it, to try CC.
post #98 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I have the CT-2 (which looks just like the CT-200 pictured). It copies anything I have tried, but don't have a BR to try that. Personally I haven't read one way or the other about the Simas and BR. The more expensive one in your link specifically did mention BR though.
Note when I've tried copying a resolution test pattern and contrast test pattern with my CT-2 it did reduce contrast and resolution a slight bit, although I have not noticed a problem actually copying a movie.
I think my CT-2 was $100 back when BB sold them and I consider mine one of my better investments.

I got my CT-2 back in 2004 for $85 at the Bethesda Navy Exchange store when I got my first Philips DVD recorder, but it burned out because of being left 'ON' all the time since there is no On/Off switch. In July 2007, the Exchange was no longer carrying them so got one of the last ones in stock at BB for $99.95 before they went off the market. Needless to say, I now unplug the power supply except during a recording session.

I too have never had a copy fail with my trusty CT-2. The following machince are used only for archival purposes: I'm currently using a Sanyo Combi DVD/VCR machine as input to the CT-2 and a Lite-On LVC-9006 DVD/VCR combi-recorder as the output.

If my CT-2 goes kablooey, I'll likely go with a Grex for replacement.
post #99 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml View Post

What do you think of this?

I probably wouldn't do any editing. I only want to back old dvd>video stabilizer>dvd recorder. Make an exact duplicate to prevent the originals from getting ruined over time with scratching etc.

This may have been already answered but the DVDR3506 is a good machine, basically the same as the 3576 but without the hard drive. I bought one NEW on eBay and sold it to a coworker because I wanted the HDD and he didn't need one. He has had zero problems with it. The biggest benefit is the NTSC/ATSC/QAM hybrid tuner so you can pick up analog and digital OTA channels as well as the in-the-clear digital cable channels AND record from them.
post #100 of 106 Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM

On another site someone said they used a DVDRED PRO.
Has anyone heard of this? I'm thinking of getting the new DPX 7000. Do you think they will eventually make these to be connected w/ HDMI?
post #101 of 106 Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalee View Post

Do you think they will eventually make these to be connected w/ HDMI?

Since HDMI was devised to prevent copying things digitally I very much doubt we will ever see a HDMI filter. Besides very few things other than PCs can record from HDMI anyway. Note most if not all analog video filters will work with one leg of the component video and component is almost as good as HDMI IMO.
The Grex and Video filter seem to be highly rated. Oh and don't forget about the 2 component to S-video adapters that also remove CP.
post #102 of 106 Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Any updates on sourcing for the grex or the DX-7000, (Not ebay!)

I have a new Magnavox H2160MW and and want to make some backup personal DVD copies of my VHS tapes and some DVDs.
post #103 of 106 Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Any DVDR copying will have to be realtime. Realtime copying will not have commercial menus or chapters. If you had a DVDR w/HDD you could recreate the chapters but you won't have direct access to them (with a thumbnail) like the original. (OK maybe some old Toshiba DVDRs could create thumbnails for chapters but not any current DVDRs).
To retain chapters and menus you need to use a computer and somewhat bootlegged software. You will also lose some PQ using a filter, the computer will be lossless.

Hi jjeff

Can you explain the chapters w/ thumbnails a little more? I was just starting to wonder how I could make selectable chapters. My Toshiba D-R550 allows you to make chapters, but you can only skip through them in a linear manner. I'd like to be able to go directly to any chapter, instead of 'ff' like a tape.
post #104 of 106 Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
Don't know much about chapters yet but in the Toshiba 560 DVDR manual under Playback, Search..it talks about using Skip to go one at a time but also talks about using Display and if you know the chaper you want, you can enter the number and it will go there and start auto play. Just a special note to add to your information you will get in answer to your question above. Hope it helps.
post #105 of 106 Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe the only DVDR to make directly selectable chapters(like a commercial DVD) was the old Toshiba XS series w/HDD. Other than that you'd have to use a computer and software.
You can generally directly select a chapter by just hitting that number on your remote but you won't have a thumbnail or anyway to know what's on that chapter number. All my players and recorders work this way but I've not owned a non XS Toshiba so I can't say for sure on a newer Toshiba like yours.
post #106 of 106 Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

Any updates on sourcing for the grex or the DX-7000, (Not ebay!)

I have a new Magnavox H2160MW and and want to make some backup personal DVD copies of my VHS tapes and some DVDs.

Google it. The Grex is made by Dimax in Israel but you can just Google "Grex".
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page