Which Video Stabilizer should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 106 Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at both the Firebird-Systems Archiever unit, and the DP-5000 from World Import. Which one works best for DVD back-up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM

I don't know which one works best but i have the dp-5000 on the way.
post #3 of 106 Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up the DP-5000 from World Import and finally hooked it up to do backup copies of some DVDs (ok, ok, Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series). I ran the composite video and L/R audio outputs from an Oppo 971 to the DP-5000, then from the stabilizer to the front inputs of my Panasonic DMR-E85. At first I got some annoying herringbone interference patterns on the image the E85 was getting. Playing a hunch, I plugged the DP-5000's power transformer into a different wall outlet from the one the Oppo was on, and the problem went away. Under close scrutiny, the copy PQ was clearly not as good as the original, but more than adequate for my purposes.

The audio connections on the DP-5000 appear to be entirely passive. If I unplug the power cord, the video disappears but the audio keeps coming through. So it appears they're just there to simplify the logic of the connections for the user. Next time I'll cut them out of the loop and run the audio straight from the Oppo to the E85. Probably won't make a major diff, but why add extra connection points to the circuit?

BTW, before I started, I tried a direct connection from the Oppo to the E85 and got an "Unable to Record" no-go.

Bottom line: the DP-5000 performed as advertised. I can play the heck outta the copies and not worry about having an oops with the originals; if a copy does get scratched or something, I can just make a new one. The real goal is actually to dub some of my old VHS stuff to DVD, so I don't have to buy them again.
post #4 of 106 Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Doswonk1 how long did it take you to get the dp-5000 from world import
because i'm still waiting on mine from them.
post #5 of 106 Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

how long did it take you to get the dp-5000 from world import
because i'm still waiting on mine from them

Geez, not long--maybe 3 days. I don't live that far from them. They shipped it the day after I placed the order.
post #6 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying a DP-5000 also, but I am experiencing Lip Sync issues. I'm running it between 2 Sony units using S-Video, one is strictly a player, the other is a stand alone DVD recorder. (DVD Direct unit) I haven't tried the DP on a different electrical circuit to see if that would help, but I have bypassed the audio inputs, and that didn't help. Video quality is fine.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not too happy at this point.
post #7 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
What happens if you try a DVD that is NOT CP'd and bypass the DP-5000?
Just wondering if the issue is truly related to the DP-5000, or if it would still be there with a direct connection from player to recorder. Personally never had a lip sync issue with any of my Sima's.
post #8 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Same thing's true with digital cable STBs, since that would also work well connecting your box into the DP-5000, and into a DVD recorder. To me, that's a godsend, since most of the good shows are on channels outside of the standard lineup, and especially if there's a good HBO/Cinemax movie, there you go. I'm probably talked into getting a GoDVD myself, if there are any available anymore.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #9 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

I'm probably talked into getting a GoDVD myself, if there are any available anymore.

They're not making those anymore. Been almost a couple of years now. Those were the Sima's. They apparently got sued. The ATX500 and the DP5000 are direct replacements for it. You might still be able to find a Sima around, but the newer models have updated firmware, so you're probably better off with those anyway.

(Never had any lip synch issues with my Sima, either.)
post #10 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, you're right... Okay, I pulled the trigger on the DP5000, hopefully it'll even decode the cable box for my DVD recorder that I currently have for the short term (Samsung DVD-R135). May upgrade my DVD recorder to a Panny in the near future, stay tuned.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #11 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

4 all u folks making backup copies of yer dvds; i've found from 4+ yrs of experience that toshiba dvd players have the best s video output circuitry (in the consumer class of players).
its clean and sharp. and ive tried all the others, sony, pioneer, panny, etc.

the reason i know is cuz i copy from either a '07 tosh 5000 or older 5970 player into sima ct2s and on into either tosh dr2s or panny es15 and then play them on either panny s77 or tosh hd a2 or a30 into hd pj and onto 108" screen.
on a screen that large, u can see all the artifacts and i dont get many.

so try out even a low end tosh player 4 this purpose and see if its not true.

10' from 84" screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 106 Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Okay, I pulled the trigger on the DP5000, hopefully it'll even decode the cable box for my DVD recorder that I currently have for the short term (Samsung DVD-R135).

It should do the job. I don't think there's been anyone here that it hasn't worked perfectly for when using it for that.

You shouldn't even need a different recorder now.
post #13 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

They're not making those anymore. Been almost a couple of years now. Those were the Sima's. They apparently got sued. The ATX500 and the DP5000 are direct replacements for it. You might still be able to find a Sima around, but the newer models have updated firmware, so you're probably better off with those anyway.

(Never had any lip synch issues with my Sima, either.)

Weren't those the boxes people were using to descramble premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime?
post #14 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

It should do the job. I don't think there's been anyone here that it hasn't worked perfectly for when using it for that.

You shouldn't even need a different recorder now.

Well, since I have lots of VHS tapes yet to convert to DVD, I probably may go for a tunerless VHS/DVD combo recorder, and switch the DP-5000 off between converting VHS tapes and recording digital cable. Probably might go for either a JVC or Toshiba combo recorder eventually.

post #15 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, since I have lots of VHS tapes yet to convert to DVD, I probably may go for a tunerless VHS/DVD combo recorder, and switch the DP-5000 off between converting VHS tapes and recording digital cable. Probably might go for either a JVC or Toshiba combo recorder eventually.

You will most likely need two separate units to do that - a DVD recorder and a separate VCR.

There were some older combo models where you could place the filter in between on the same unit (some Pannies, for one), but I don't know if there are any around that you can do it on anymore.
post #16 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

Weren't those the boxes people were using to descramble premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime?

If by descramble premium channels, you mean make it so you can record them after they have been outputted by your STB, then yes.
They don't really descramble the picture, they just remove the CP bit, so you can copy it to your DVDR or VCR. There is no descrambling going on inside the devices, only removing the copy protection so you can copy it. Descrambling is a whole different situation.
And Ramm's right, if you want to copy CP'd VHS tapes you should get separate units, the Panny combos are the only ones(I'm aware of) that you could loop the output through a filter, then back into the recorder. Not sure if the newer Panny's allow that though.
post #17 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

I picked up the DP-5000 from World Import and finally hooked it up to do backup copies of some DVDs.

Yep, got mine coming from them, and should arrive on Wednesday, since I ordered it over the weekend. I did have an old Insignia DVD/VHS combo recorder that I got from Best Buy back in 2005 and used that with my old Westinghouse LTV-32w1 way back in 2005/2006, even tho it's not an upscaling unit, but may be good enough to use the DP-5000 with (I donated the Insiggy to other family members when I got the Samsung). Whether or not that's gonna be something I'm gonna need back to convert all the VHS tapes remaining, then so be it.

post #18 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 04:53 AM

Got my DP-5000 yesterday,took them 2 weeks to ship
post #19 of 106 Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

I also just ordered the DP-5000 from World Imports, $132.62 total incl. shipping.

Thought about the Grex or even the old Sima CT-200 (now available only on Fleabay), but it seems the Grex has issues (after reading the threads) and it is also more expensive.

Fleabay seems to be around $100-150 for the older CT-200's, and some are used or opened so the DP-5000 is probably the wiser choice.

What I am curious about is that the World Import site shows that you can use a component connection with the DP-5000 by just plugging the 3 video cables into the composite connection. Is this true??
post #20 of 106 Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, I find no trouble with the DP-5000 whatsoever, hooked that up from my set-top digital cable box, and into my Samsung DVD-R135, and seems to record everything like it's just a lowly home video. I'm probably even gonna try recording the weekend HBO movie to put this device to the ultimate test. Don't worry, it's gonna be an HBO movie recording for my own use, I know the rules.

post #21 of 106 Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHuff View Post

What I am curious about is that the World Import site shows that you can use a component connection with the DP-5000 by just plugging the 3 video cables into the composite connection. Is this true??

I have also read that. I think their just using one of the 3 component cables routed thru the DP-5000. Not sure which one, but I think it would be a moot point, since there are no recorders currently with component inputs. With my CT-2 I get great results using S-video. Hopefully the DP-5000 will be the same.
post #22 of 106 Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I have also read that. I think their just using one of the 3 component cables routed thru the DP-5000. Not sure which one..

The green.
post #23 of 106 Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I just got the DP-5000 I ordered from World Import a couple of weeks ago.

What actually showed up was a DPX-7000 that looks exactly the same as the DP-5000, so I was curious if anyone else has recently received the same unit. I assume this is an updated version of the DP-5000. Maybe they just keep changing the model #'s based on lawsuits etc....???

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend!
post #24 of 106 Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM

I also just received a DPX-7000 from world import. DanHuff, have you used it yet? Has anybody used it? It looks exactly the same as the DP-5000 (except it is black).

I hope it works as good as everyone says the DP-5000 works. (Incidentally, world import now lists the DP as unavailable. I ordered it on friday and it arrived today. I got lucky I guess, managed to order it just before it diseappared).
post #25 of 106 Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

I just received my DP5000 from World-Import and do not know how to connect it. I saw your posting and was wondering if you could help. I have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. All I'm trying to do is record HBO onto my dvd recorder. I called World Import but didn't have any luck understanding them. Did you actually have to also connect to your TV as well?
post #26 of 106 Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM

I was wondering if you could share with me the way you connected your DP5000. I also have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. I called World Import with no luck. Did you have to connect anything to your tv? Help-I'm having no luck with this unit.

Quote:

Oh yeah, I find no trouble with the DP-5000 whatsoever, hooked that up from my set-top digital cable box, and into my Samsung DVD-R135, and seems to record everything like it's just a lowly home video. I'm probably even gonna try recording the weekend HBO movie to put this device to the ultimate test. Don't worry, it's gonna be an HBO movie recording for my own use, I know the rules.

post #27 of 106 Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirl View Post

I just received my DP5000 from World-Import and do not know how to connect it. I saw your posting and was wondering if you could help. I have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. All I'm trying to do is record HBO onto my dvd recorder. I called World Import but didn't have any luck understanding them. Did you actually have to also connect to your TV as well?

dont know what gear u got, but here goes anyway. the very simple version. try recording content without the dp5000 first, only use if u get 'no record/copy protection' messages.

for recording video with dp5000:
connect a yellow rca cable from stb (cable box) sd video out to dp5000 rca video input then another yellow rca video cable from dp5000 video out to a video line input on rear of dvdr (dvd recorder).

for recording audio with above video-bypass dp5000:
connect a red and white rca cable from stb stereo audio out to matching audio input of dvdr video cable u just already hooked up.

for playback:
hook up either composite, s video or red, green, blue component video cable (or even hdmi)(if u have a hdtv) from video output on dvdr to open video input on tv.

audio:
hook up 2nd set of red and white rca audio cables from audio output on dvdr to audio input on tv that corresponds with the video inputs u just hooked up. if using hdmi, u wont need to hook up audio cables.

others may suggest using the rf connectors, or other ideas.

10' from 84" screen.

post #28 of 106 Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM

You guys who received the DPX-7000: Please post your impressions/results. Thanks!

There was no mention of anyone having the Firebird-Systems Archiever unit. Is (was!) the DP-5000 superior?
post #29 of 106 Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM

I just posted this in a new thread before I noticed this thread. I searched under dp5000 etc., but this thread didn't turn up.

Anyway, here's what I posted:

Some time ago, I ordered one of these (DP-5000 copy enhancer) from World-Import.com. Because I live in Canada, I had it sent to a friend in Chicago, who sent it on to me. I just got it a few days ago, and will begin testing it soon.

I will test it on both copy-protected VHS tapes and DVDs to see who well it works.

In checking the site to see if they were still available I found this:

http://www.world-import.com/macrovisionkiller.htm

I don't know whether they're just out of stock or what. I haven't checked to see whether other suppliers of similar devices are also no longer selling them.

We could use this thread for reports on how well these things work with various equipment and video sources. Just let the other thread I started die (I don't know how to delete it).
post #30 of 106 Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As long as you do it today you should be able to click on the thread, then click EDIT then DELETE. I know if you wait too long it can only be deleted by a moderator. Not sure of the exact time though, also I think if someone posts to it you cannot delete it.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page