Digital OTA reception problem - Panasonic DMR-EZ17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my Panny recorder for a few months and have enjoyed digital OTA signal with no problem until this past week. The digital channels (approx. 12)no longer display. I just get black screen without the "No signal" message. Analog signals are still fine. I am using a Panasonic DMR-EZ17 with the Terk HDTVi antenna.

I have tried the reset button, unplugging the unit for 15 minutes, rescanning the channels, unplugging and re-attaching the antenna cable, powering the unit off and on (without unplugging), and updating the firmware.

Yesterday, I was able to get the digital signals started again and thought the firmware update saved the day. Today, I encounter the problem again and have not been able to get signal. I did not repeat the firmware update because I don't think it's the kind of thing that should be repeated.

Any ideas here on what my problem may be?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Do you have another device that would tune in your digital channels, to help narrow down the problem. If you do, preferably hook it up to the same cable that is feeding your EZ-17. Another thing to verify is that in the setup of the EZ-17 that you have selected Antenna and not Cable. If setup for cable, for sure you won't get the UHF channels, not sure about the new digital channels. Do you get non digital UHF channels?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 430
He's not on cable, he's using OTA.
I think he either has a bad tuner or there was some kind of interruption with the digital broadcast. Having a second digital tuner to compare against, like jjeff suggested, would be invaluable at this point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm now encountering the same problem with my EZ17. Have you learned anything that could help me?
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is that your only digital tuner, or do you have another on the same antenna for comparison.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

My last EZ-17 was not able to receive OTA digital channels. I tried every option and reset possible to no avail. I finally returned it. It got the analogs fine, just no digitals.
Note when I first got the unit it got the digitals, but then next day they were gone and I was never able to get them back again.
This was my last of 5 EZ-17's that all had major problems
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Is that your only digital tuner, or do you have another on the same antenna for comparison.

I have a DMR-EZ48V on the same antenna which is receiving the digital channels just fine.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Doesn't sound good if it just stopped working and you hadn't changed any settings. More so in light of a companion digital tuner that is functioning properly. Your tuner may have died, and if out of warranty, the EZ-17 is not worth the $130 fix-it charge to send it back to Panasonic.

- kelson h

post #9 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Your tuner may have died, and if out of warranty, the EZ-17 is not worth the $130 fix-it charge to send it back to Panasonic.

If it was out of warranty, it wouldn't be so bad. I've only had the thing for 2 months. Does an EZ17 with a bad tuner have any trade-in value? (He said, displaying a degree of optimism that defied credulity.)
post #10 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Aleta and Rperlberg,

If your Panasonics are still under warranty call Panasonic at 1-800-211-7262 for a RMA to ship your machine to the main Panasonic Service Center in Illinois. (Don't let them talk you into taking your Panasonic to your local "Authorized Panasonic Service," a privately-owned business that services many brands, specializing in none. Such a location may have your Panasonic tied-up for an extended period waiting for parts. Such a business may not even have a Service Manual for your model.)

The Panasonic Service Center is the only location for prompt, high quality warranty and out-of-warranty repair. Panasonic pays shipping both ways for warranty service.

Here is the Panasonic Service Center information:

1-888-439-2676

Panasonic Service Center
1590 Touhly Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

If your Panasonics are out of warranty it is up to you to determine if it is cost effective to use the $130 flat rate repair offered by the Panasonic Service Center. The $130 includes shipping to and from Pansonic.

If you purchase another product keep this Panasonic for parts or sell it. Most of the parts in your model are also used in other Panasonic models. Check eBay for current selling activity for used or as-is Panasonics.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #11 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

If it was out of warranty, it wouldn't be so bad. I've only had the thing for 2 months. Does an EZ17 with a bad tuner have any trade-in value? (He said, displaying a degree of optimism that defied credulity.)

Panasonic DVDR's have a 1 year parts and labor warranty, so unless you meant your EZ-17 was 14 months old(2 months past the warranty) you should be able to get it fixed for free, probably less the shipping.
Note depending where you got your EZ-17 the store might also do a swap for a new one(if they still have them). I did this 5! times within a 5 month span. Sometimes they would last over a month, sometimes less. In the end I ended up getting my money back and used it to purchase a EZ-28, which has been working fine so far.....
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page