List of HTIB's and/or AVR's with HDMI audio processing (5.1/7.1 PCM) Help List Grow!! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be annoying and jump on the advice seeking bandwagon. I currently have a Onkyo SR800 (receiver is a SR550) HTiB with a Panny BD30 for BD, Comcast (HD and SD viewing is roughly 50/50), and a 360. The 360 and cable box are connected via toslink, the BD30 is connected via digital audio cable. All video signals are being sent to my TV via HDMI except the 360 which is component. I am in an apartment, everything is set up in a fairly open area (living room/dining area/kitchen all an open space). Because I'm in an apt, I can't turn the volume up too loud (don't want to be THAT neighbor...) Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to an HD audio-capable receiver? I've never heard an HD audio mix so I don't know if I'm missing out on great things with my BDs. I'm figuring that if I can sell my old receiver for $200-250 on craigslist (is that asking too much BTW?), I could upgrade my receiver for around $200. Is HD audio worth ~200 bucks? Or should I find something else to dump money into? Thanks.

Gamertag: wasey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

I thought that the signal only got downgraded if you attempted LPCM, but that if you did bitstream for it to be decoded in the receiver it would be ok?

It gets downgraded to 2.0 PCM on optical cable...

Nope, even bitstream wont work...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
What is the cheapest HTIB with HDMI audio processing?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Check the first post of this thread and then start looking up prices. You can't really say which one is the cheapest as prices change all the time and vary from vendor to vendor.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome02000 View Post

I think the bandwidth is still too much. Those codecs only have about 50% compression, like flac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToGo1 View Post

It gets downgraded to 2.0 PCM on optical cable...

Nope, even bitstream wont work...

Oh ok...thank you! You learn something new every day
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I say the CT100 is the cheapest at around $280 through Wal Mart. Then again it's only a bar and sub.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler87 View Post

I'm going to be annoying and jump on the advice seeking bandwagon. I currently have a Onkyo SR800 (receiver is a SR550) HTiB with a Panny BD30 for BD, Comcast (HD and SD viewing is roughly 50/50), and a 360. The 360 and cable box are connected via toslink, the BD30 is connected via digital audio cable. All video signals are being sent to my TV via HDMI except the 360 which is component. I am in an apartment, everything is set up in a fairly open area (living room/dining area/kitchen all an open space). Because I'm in an apt, I can't turn the volume up too loud (don't want to be THAT neighbor...) Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to an HD audio-capable receiver? I've never heard an HD audio mix so I don't know if I'm missing out on great things with my BDs. I'm figuring that if I can sell my old receiver for $200-250 on craigslist (is that asking too much BTW?), I could upgrade my receiver for around $200. Is HD audio worth ~200 bucks? Or should I find something else to dump money into? Thanks.

Its kind of hard to give opinions when we dont know what speakers you have, how many movies do you see etc etc. The Panny BD will bitstream all the lossless formats so it is possible to take advantage of all the new formats.

IMO, if you are not a serious audiophile or dont see that many movies or have a bit of a modest speaker setup then there is no point to upgrade the setup. You will be ok with what you have. However if you take a look at the aspect of trading in your new receiver, its hard to say. In the future your receiver may not be worth much given that more and more receivers will process the new lossless formats. So if you are getting that much now, better jump ship and lose out less than later on when you wont get anything for your receiver. Alternatively, if you can use your present receiver else where without selling it, then wait for the prices to drop and then jump on some HDMI receivers. Of course, this is all my opnion and the final decision should be yours.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok Guys really need some help here. So anyone that knows this stuff please chime in.

I currently have the Panasonic HTIB SC-BT100. Basically the same player as the BD50. All around this HTIB is excellent, except for two major areas, the wireless rear speakers are not going to work in my house, white noise, distortion, and a clicking sound in the right rear speaker. I have spent a couple of weeks trying to find the cause, and have had two of these units and they both respond the same way. So a wireless system will not work here.

One of the things I do like about the HTIB I have, is both the DTS HD (both 5.1 and 7.1) and the Dolby HD.I do not want to give that up. (The other major weakness with the BT100 it only has one toslink in, and I need at least two - One from the 800U Plasma and one from the Sony HD recorder).

So I will be going with the BD50 playerbut I need a HTIB or AVR and speakers that go with it for a 100% match. I can tell that a lot of people are having the same problem.

So far from what I have seen about 90% or more of the AVRs and HTIB, will not handle all that the BD50 can put out (like the HD sound) and/or they mess up the video processing badly?

And unfortunately Panasonic is keeping their line of AVR's in Europe?

Is the Onkyo HT-S6100 100% compatible with the BD50? (it is about $150-$200 above my price range)

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i

Are there any other HTIB that work with the BD50, that will process ALL the video and sound correctly? Or good AVR's that are a 100% match to the BD50?

Again the HD Audio is a "must" and the two toslink "in" would be nice. If the unit can not process the DTS HD and Dolby HD; then it will not work for me.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Ok Guys really need some help here. So anyone that knows this stuff please chime in.

I currently have the Panasonic HTIB SC-BT100. Basically the same player as the BD50. All around this HTIB is excellent, except for two major areas, the wireless rear speakers are not going to work in my house, white noise, distortion, and a clicking sound in the right rear speaker. I have spent a couple of weeks trying to find the cause, and have had two of these units and they both respond the same way. So a wireless system will not work here.

One of the things I do like about the HTIB I have, is both the DTS HD (both 5.1 and 7.1) and the Dolby HD.I do not want to give that up. (The other major weakness with the BT100 it only has one toslink in, and I need at least two - One from the 800U Plasma and one from the Sony HD recorder).

So I will be going with the BD50 playerbut I need a HTIB or AVR and speakers that go with it for a 100% match. I can tell that a lot of people are having the same problem.

So far from what I have seen about 90% or more of the AVRs and HTIB, will not handle all that the BD50 can put out (like the HD sound) and/or they mess up the video processing badly?

And unfortunately Panasonic is keeping their line of AVR's in Europe?

Is the Onkyo HT-S6100 100% compatible with the BD50? (it is about $150-$200 above my price range)

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i

Are there any other HTIB that work with the BD50, that will process ALL the video and sound correctly? Or good AVR's that are a 100% match to the BD50?

Again the HD Audio is a "must" and the two toslink "in" would be nice. If the unit can not process the DTS HD and Dolby HD; then it will not work for me.

Thanks!

The S6100 has receiver 667 which should transfer HDMI. The link to the specs confirms it and so does the bold statement in the first post "*All Onkyo receivers models SR6XX and above will be able (or already are able) to handle HDMI audio." Please note that the high end formats can ONLY be transferred by HDMI cable and not optical/spidif. Hope that helped a bit...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks GoodToGo........I saw a few AVRs at Frys today (about 5 or 6), that do the HD audio. Of course the S6100 is not in stock yet. I did see another Onkyo that had the same set of speakers; but of course there is "no-way" to audition them in a loud store. In the store playing on the shelf they did not sound good at all; but then nothing sounded good in the store.

Do you know if there is an online manual to the receiver in the S6100 set; I have not been able to locate it.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

I think the sony ss2000, ss2300, & sf2300 are around 400. Samsung as720 is 500-600.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 AM

I would like to make a suggestion that this topic also keeps a list of HDMI PCM 2.0 receivers/HTiB systems. That way we can know for sure its been talked about and confirmed one way or another.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the sony ss2000, ss2300, & sf2300 are around 400. Samsung as720 is 500-600.

I looked up the Sony's listed. Best I can tell they do not process Dolby TureHD or DTS MA HD. I have not looked up the Samsung yet
Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked up the Sony's listed. Best I can tell they do not process Dolby TureHD or DTS MA HD. I have not looked up the Samsung yet

They do 5.1 pcm.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks GoodToGo........I saw a few AVRs at Frys today (about 5 or 6), that do the HD audio. Of course the S6100 is not in stock yet. I did see another Onkyo that had the same set of speakers; but of course there is "no-way" to audition them in a loud store. In the store playing on the shelf they did not sound good at all; but then nothing sounded good in the store.

Do you know if there is an online manual to the receiver in the S6100 set; I have not been able to locate it.

Just an opinion that if they dont sound good, then the chances of them sounding good at home are not that great. You would be better off with a better system...My $.02....Tried locating the manual, couldnt find it...
Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They do 5.1 pcm.

they dont do 7.1?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

they dont do 7.1?

Only the samsung as720, but it comes with 5 speakers. For some wierd reason it can't do pcm 5.1. It always displays 7.1.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 PM

How come the Yamaha RX-V463 and RX-V563 haven't got a mention? I thought these AVRs were 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM compatible too?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtheo View Post

How come the Yamaha RX-V463 and RX-V563 haven't got a mention? I thought these AVRs were 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM compatible too?

I am doing my best to keep the list up..the data loss affected me too..i had some new things up. I am working on MS EXCEL type version of the list which will have price ranges, 5.1 or 7.1 classifications, among other things. All I ask for is patience. Ill get it done folks, promise.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 AM

Add Onkyo HT-S6100 to the main list.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these:

Denon
DHT-789BA htib

Pioneer
VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

Onkyo
HT-S6100 htib

Harman Kardon
CP 60 / 65 htib

I'm leaning toward the Onkyo S6100...maybe the price will come down a tad now that its been released.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Sony new HT-IS100 does LPCM (2CH/5.1CH/7.1CH) thru HDMI - although a 5.1 system
Old 08-17-2008, 11:27 AM

My Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV handles 5.1/7.1 LPCM over HDMI. I use it with a PS3 and an Oppo 980 for DVD-A and SACD. I also used it with an Oppo 970 before upgrading to the 980 and moving the 970 to the bedroom. The 70 series receivers only support up to 1080i, but the 80 and 90 series that were manufactured after mine support LPCM with 1080p.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:03 PM

add onkyo 6100 and 7100
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Comments/suggestions on the format of the list:
1. Brand names should be bolded and/or capitalized.
2. The list should be primarily AVR based. If the AVR is also part of an HTiB set, then the model number(s) of the HTiB set(s) should be included in parenthesis after the AVR model.
3. Under each brand, the list could be ordered in a common way e.g. ascending, release date etc

Even as is, it's still a great resource. Kudos.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I did research on Friday about AVR's here on AVS, but unfortunately did not find this thread, so I was piecing information together from all over. I had the understanding that if a receiver could process 7.1 LPCM from my PS3 that I would get loseless HD audio even if the receiver does not decode it (have the stamps ), but I went to two stores and both of them told me otherwise, they said that the receiver would still have to decode it and that the PS3 is only able to read it. Anyways, great thread, it really re-confirmed what I was thinking and then some.

PSN = Hatcher14
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post

I did research on Friday about AVR's here on AVS, but unfortunately did not find this thread, so I was piecing information together from all over. I had the understanding that if a receiver could process 7.1 LPCM from my PS3 that I would get loseless HD audio even if the receiver does not decode it (have the stamps ), but I went to two stores and both of them told me otherwise, they said that the receiver would still have to decode it and that the PS3 is only able to read it. Anyways, great thread, it really re-confirmed what I was thinking and then some.

You know the attitude that you take when a 5 year old comes up to you and assures you he has seen the real santa? That is how you should behave and this is the attitude you should always take towards Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, and whatnot's sales associates. Dont get me wrong, I have found one or two that know what they are talking about, but most of them have no idea. MOst of them will say whatever just to make a sale. The PS3 decodes the HD formats, and then sends them LPCM format to the receiver. THe objective before a signal is able to come out of speaker is to turn it into PCM. IN other words, the end result is the same whether it was decoded in the PS3 or in the receiver. "PS3 is only able to read it.." lmao
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM

I wonder why would sony include bitstream option at all on PS3 if linear pcm this much better?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 AM

I would like this list to also contain all systems that accept HDMI audio.

So is there a chance that another category could be created that will list receivers which accept regular HDMI audio but cannot support HD-Audio (well down convert to PCM 2.0)?

Like I've said before, it has the added benefit of allowing people to know for sure the system has been talked about and confirmed one way or another.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm in the market for a budget HTiB that will go well with my 80 GB PS3 and Sony KDL46Z4100. I don't know much about home theatre systems but am looking for a 5.1 system that works well with my setup and takes HDMI input (so that's what lead me to this thread).

I'm leaning towards the Sony HT-SF2300 mainly because it fulfills my requirements and because I assume it is a sony product so it will work well with my system... it is a little pricey tho, and something similar in the $200 range would be great! any other recommendations?