TV Optical Output = ???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I buy a Optical cable and hook up my Samsung 46" TV from OPTICAL OUT to my Samsung AS720 Optical Input.... what would happen? (i dont want to spend $20 to test this)

will my basic anolouge cable be played through my tv AND 5.1 speakers (as 1 loud speaker, i know it wont be real 5.1 )??

This is my TV:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...45&catid=24558

This is my HTIB:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...99&catid=20311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't answer your question, but please don't spend $20 on an optical cable. Buy one from monoprice.com for about $4.

Steve

post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I buy all my cables from monoprice :P but its $5 + 10 shipping so i just said $20 as a quick number,

but can anyone answer this, i really want to know
post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you are using the Samsung 46" TV tuner(no cable or sat box) the optical out will give you 5.1 if the program is being broadcast in 5.1 from an HD channel. If not you will still get much better sound than from the TV speakers.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

thxs for the response, but i was doing some searchign and ppl say most tv;s only output to 2 speakers not 5 ... can this be confirmed?
post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi View Post

thxs for the response, but i was doing some searchign and ppl say most tv;s only output to 2 speakers not 5 ... can this be confirmed?

It will output 5.1, if available, when going through the TV's tuner. It will only output 2 channel stereo if your source is a cable/satellite box, DVD player, etc... If you want surround from sources other than your TV you will need to connect audio cables from those sources to your receiver.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

If TV tuner = TV Optical Out (back of Samsung TV) then awsome thxs for reply
post #8 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FYI - the TV's tuner comes into play if you're receiving signal over the air from an antenna. Under that circumstance, you can send 5.1 from the TV to your receiver via the optical connection.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If your TV has a QAM tuner and you have basic cable connected to it, you should receiver your locals in HD also with 5.1 sounds. Works that way for me.

Afro GT
post #10 of 21 Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, I can confirm that I get Dolby Digital from HD channels with a direct coax feed (no cable box) passed through my Samsung A550's digital tuner with a digital audio feed to my HTIB.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Ok so I have my Directv, PS3, and 360 all going into my Panasonic tv (54g10) through hdmi. If I use the digital output from the tv into a panasonic surround sound (thinking of buying sc-pt960) using the digital input will I get full surround sound from all 3 sources? Or will only 2 speakers have sound with that set up? This new 2.1/5.1 is a problem I just learned about and I'm just trying to figure it all out. Any help would be appreciated!
post #12 of 21 Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 433
All HDMI audio signals get downgraded to 2-channel when passed through a TV to the TV's optical out.

For best multichannel sound, connect all of the HDMI (and other video/audio) cables directly to your receiver. If you use a cable box or satellite decoder box, connect that to the receiver, too. If your channel selection is being done by the TV, then you also need to connect the TV's optical (or other) audio output to the receiver. (The TV's own audio is not downgraded.)

Connect the receiver's HDMI output to your TV. The HDMI video will be passed through your receiver to the TV. Instead of selecting the appropriate input device on the TV, select it on the receiver.

Turn off the TV's internal speakers: all of the sound will be generated by your receiver and the speakers that are connected to it. The external speaker system will sound much better than the speakers in the TV. (Some people use the TV's speakers as the center channel, but most don't like it.)

If you have more HDMI connections than your receiver has HDMI inputs, then you need to consider upgrading your receiver. (Or you can use their non-HDMI connections.) If you have devices connected to the receiver which do not use HDMI, then you might need to connect the corresponding receiver outputs to your TV, too. Many mid-range receivers do not translate non-HDMI signals to HDMI, although the more expensive models do.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #13 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 AM

Hi Team,

I have an UE46C6900 LED TV which is linked with my PC via ethernet cable and using DNLA
I am planning to buy an AV receiver HW-C700
My question is...if I select a movie (.mkv) using DNLA from my PC which had a DTS-HD sound...will it work if my TV will be linked to the AV receiver via optical calbe? Will I hear a 7.1 sound from the speakers?

"This is what I found in the maunal of the TV, but they do not mention DNLA (AllShare)
When a digital audio system is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack, decrease the volume
of both the TV and the system.
5.1 CH (channel) audio is available when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1 CH.
When the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV's optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre."

Please let me know
post #14 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

All HDMI audio signals get downgraded to 2-channel when passed through a TV to the TV's optical out.

For best multichannel sound, connect all of the HDMI (and other video/audio) cables directly to your receiver. If you use a cable box or satellite decoder box, connect that to the receiver, too. If your channel selection is being done by the TV, then you also need to connect the TV's optical (or other) audio output to the receiver. (The TV's own audio is not downgraded.)

Connect the receiver's HDMI output to your TV. The HDMI video will be passed through your receiver to the TV. Instead of selecting the appropriate input device on the TV, select it on the receiver.

Turn off the TV's internal speakers: all of the sound will be generated by your receiver and the speakers that are connected to it. The external speaker system will sound much better than the speakers in the TV. (Some people use the TV's speakers as the center channel, but most don't like it.)

If you have more HDMI connections than your receiver has HDMI inputs, then you need to consider upgrading your receiver. (Or you can use their non-HDMI connections.) If you have devices connected to the receiver which do not use HDMI, then you might need to connect the corresponding receiver outputs to your TV, too. Many mid-range receivers do not translate non-HDMI signals to HDMI, although the more expensive models do.

will the sound be downgraded to 2-channel in the optical out if I have my TV linked with my PC via ethernet? (DNLA/AllShare)? I understand it is downgraded if using HDMI from Blu-Ray, DVD etc...but will it downgrade using ethernet or USB?

Thank you in advance for your reply
post #15 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I think some of the TVs do pass 5.1 through the optical from HDMI sources connected to the TV. The thread on the LG 55LH90 documents that some people have been able to do that:

I also came across an old review from Costco:

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11531514/reviews.htm

Quote:
and the optical out lets you take any Dolby Digital signal and push it right to your sound system

And someone in a different AVS thread posted about how their LG 55LH90 did pass DD through the optical out

Best advice to the OP is to try and do some research on his/her specific model
post #16 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
and the optical out lets you take any Dolby Digital signal and push it right to your sound system

It could be Dolby Digital 2.0, though (yes, such a thing exists.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #17 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It could be Dolby Digital 2.0, though (yes, such a thing exists.)

In any case, my JVC TH-BA1 soundbar will be arriving tomorrow or wednesday. I am going to hook it up via my TV's optical out and will let you guys know.

Is there anyway I will be able to tell whether my TV is putting out 5.1 vs 2.0/2.1? Will the soundbar let me know? I don't know if my ears will be able to tell.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If the soundbar has a display or indicator on it somewhere, it should be able to say one way or another. If not, you'll either have to check your TV's manual or find someone with the same TV and ask if they can check.

post #19 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:

If the soundbar has a display or indicator on it somewhere, it should be able to say one way or another. If not, you'll either have to check your TV's manual or find someone with the same TV and ask if they can check.

This is what it says in the LG 55LH90 manual:

This is what it says in the manual:

Quote:

If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL
AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may
block digital audio output.

I just tried out the JVC BA1 soundbar I bought and hooked it up directly to my cable box watching a variety of HD channels, as well as hooked up to my TV optical. In both cases, the soundbar really filled up the room and sounded pretty rich.

In both cases, I couldn't hear any appreciable difference. I'm guessing it does pass 5.1, but I wish there was a way for me to know for sure.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Digital broadcasting probably means the TV's internal tuner. Most if not all TVs do 5.1 through that.

If you can borrow a 5.1 receiver, you can see if it displays 5.1. You don't even have to hook speakers up to it.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Digital broadcasting probably means the TV's internal tuner. Most if not all TVs do 5.1 through that.

If you can borrow a 5.1 receiver, you can see if it displays 5.1. You don't even have to hook speakers up to it.

Hmmm ok. I'll look around and see if I can find one.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page