Onkyo HT-S6100 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2347 Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sucks to be in LA. Pilot just scheduled delivery for Wednesday from 12-4. Ehh, anyways, gives me a chance to install the fans and setup the speaker stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2347 Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, my system arrives tomorrow... so tonight i went to program my harmony remote, and i am noticing that harmony doesn't have it listed... anybody else find this?
post #183 of 2347 Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46XBR4Owner View Post

Will do, give me a day or so. I updated it a bit but need to gather the info. Thanks!

Looks great! Here are some suggested additions:

* Explain the difference between this and the 7100 (you did this a few posts ago)
* Add a section titled "Suggested enhancements/mods" and include the info for the banana plugs, 14 gauge speaker wire, and the speaker stands that I mentioned the (Sanus HTB3 from buy.com).
* Include the basic info for hooking it up (I think you did this as well)
post #184 of 2347 Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botero View Post

ok, my system arrives tomorrow... so tonight i went to program my harmony remote, and i am noticing that harmony doesn't have it listed... anybody else find this?

Did you try the TX-SR606? It's a very similar receiver.
post #185 of 2347 Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Ok, I got my 6100 over the weekend and its working great.

But I have a little problem and was wondering if anyone has any solutions.

I dont have a stand alone Blue-ray player. I do have a Blue-ray drive on my laptop and the laptop has an HDMI out. However when I connect the laptop to the Receiver my laptop stops playing the movie and gives me an error message. I later read in the Onkyo manual that it does not support Video via HDMI from a PC.

I can connect my laptop to the TV (which by the way doesnt have an HDMI out, only 3 HDMI in's). And I can connect the TV to the receiver with RCA cables. But from my limited knowledge of all the connections, I dont get the full quality of using a 7.1 system unless I have the reciever connected with an HDMI cable.

Does anybody have any advice on how to connect my laptop to the receiver to get the best quality sound?
post #186 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, after several days of setting up this system, I finally got it all setup.The room is still a mess with wrappers and DVDs all over teh floor, but when I clean that up iwill post pictures. FOr the record, I used SANUS stands that I bought at target for my fronts and side surrounds; for the back surrounds I used SANUS speaker wall brackets, also attarget. After experimenting quite a bit, I got the receiver figured out, except for the very advanced features. I used the Audyssey setup process and did not change anything. Alotof people say that the best isto have the subwoofer crossover frequency at 80hz, but according to the manual, with the size of speakers of this system, it should not be set under 120HZ..anybody has any input on this? also for the record, this is what I got hooked up to my receiver:
  • ps3 (hdmi)
  • Wii(component)
  • Comcast HD box (component)
  • Macbook(DVI to HDMI for video and RCA analog for audio)

and so far no problems with any of that. The receiver can be set to whatever audio format u want such asDPLIIx or DTS neo 6 which will matrix any source to all 7 speakers, pretty neat. Love this thing. ^_^
post #187 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd54321 View Post

Looks great! Here are some suggested additions:

* Explain the difference between this and the 7100 (you did this a few posts ago)
* Add a section titled "Suggested enhancements/mods" and include the info for the banana plugs, 14 gauge speaker wire, and the speaker stands that I mentioned the (Sanus HTB3 from buy.com).
* Include the basic info for hooking it up (I think you did this as well)

Also, include how the 6100 has a modified 606. Does anyone find it weird that the 667 receiver is not on the Onkyo website?

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #188 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Okay, here are a few pics of the 6100. Mind you, my living room is a total mess and I will devote this whole weekend to its set up. I only have my crappy Norcent at the moment, but Saturday I will get my Toshiba REGZA 52XV540U.
I put my ps3 and 360 next to the sub so you guys can see how big it is. It's very powerful and rumbles the floor, even with my carpet.

post #189 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just found these forums after I purchased the 61000 from US Appliances, can't wait to get it! I will apologize in advance for being a noob, but I am looking for some guidance on replacing the stock wires once the system gets in. Here is what I plan on getting:

14 Banana Plugs
200FT 16AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable
1 12ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for subs)

Does this seem like adequate wire. Any recommendations?

Also, how hard is rewiring on this system? I know the banana plugs wont be a problem, but what about where the original wire connects to the speakers?
post #190 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM

My wife just called and said my 6100 has been delivered. Very impressed with US Appliance... many of us were skeptical at first.. but I'd definitely do business with them again.
post #191 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhcraig View Post

Just found these forums after I purchased the 61000 from US Appliances, can't wait to get it! I will apologize in advance for being a noob, but I am looking for some guidance on replacing the stock wires once the system gets in. Here is what I plan on getting:

14 Banana Plugs
1 12ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for subs)

Also, how hard is rewiring on this system? I know the banana plugs wont be a problem, but what about where the original wire connects to the speakers?

The wiring is a piece of cake. If you think the banana plugs are no problem, then the wire is even easier. It works the same as the original wire except its not color coded and is thicker.

How long is your longest wire run from receiver to speaker?

You didn't need a CL2 rated sub cable unless you're going in wall. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

Good purchase.

Afro GT
post #192 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Is there a way to change the input to zone 2? After looking at the manual, it doesn't look like you can change the zone 2 input. Does this mean that zone 2 will play the same audio as zone 1? The 606 manual states that you can change the input to zone 2, so I'm assuming you can have different inputs for zone 1 and zone 2 on the 606. I need to get this question answered so I know whether to buy a 6100 or a 606 and speakers. I would like to be able to play music in zone 2 and watch a movie in 5.1 on zone 1 simultaneously.

If the 667 doesn't support zone 2 then this is a huge difference between the 667 and 606.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
Thanks!
post #193 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The wiring is a piece of cake. If you think the banana plugs are no problem, then the wire is even easier. It works the same as the original wire except its not color coded and is thicker.

How long is your longest wire run from receiver to speaker?

You didn't need a CL2 rated sub cable unless you're going in wall. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

Good purchase.

I haven't placed the order yet, so I might not order the sub wire if its not necessary. Do you think the stock sub woofer wire will suffice?

My living room is quite large, and I don't see any way of getting a wire to the back speakers without running wire around the edges of the entire room. I am racking my brain right now trying to figure out how to conceal the wires
post #194 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

My living room is quite large, and I don't see any way of getting a wire to the back speakers without running wire around the edges of the entire room. I am racking my brain right now trying to figure out how to conceal the wires

I purchased a Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit. It delivers 25watt RMS to each speaker (yea this seems low, but the rear speakers probably don't need a huge amount of wattage). The kit has gotten pretty good reviews on the internet and it doesn't interfere with my DECT phone system and my 2.4ghz wireless.

-HD
post #195 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:

14 Banana Plugs

Looks like a good buy to me! I went with the 14awg speaker wire based on a recomendation from a friend...I think he said that cause I am running a 33-35ft line of wire for each of the rears....

I bought the 25ft RG6 sub cable and it looks very nice...not real rigid/hard to work with as I expected...

And rewiring the system is nothing more than making sure what you plugged into the receiver is the same wire you are plugging into the appropriate speaker...make sure you get your positive and negative right too! If you ordered the speaker wire from monoprice like I did, they have a blue line on the one wire to designate the positive.

Matter of fact...I will be running wires tonight!
post #196 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:

I haven't placed the order yet, so I might not order the sub wire if its not necessary. Do you think the stock sub woofer wire will suffice?

Oh, definitely get a sub cable. They're cheap enough. You just didn't need the in wall CL2 model.

After looking at the site, all the RG6 sub cables are CL2 rated. So get whatever one you chose the first time. It also looks like te RG6 cables are cheaper than the RG59 which usually isn't the case.

Afro GT
post #197 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeNaz View Post

Ok, I got my 6100 over the weekend and its working great.

But I have a little problem and was wondering if anyone has any solutions.

I don't have a stand alone Blue-ray player. I do have a Blue-ray drive on my laptop and the laptop has an HDMI out. However when I connect the laptop to the Receiver my laptop stops playing the movie and gives me an error message. I later read in the Onkyo manual that it does not support Video via HDMI from a PC.

I can connect my laptop to the TV (which by the way doesn't have an HDMI out, only 3 HDMI In's). And I can connect the TV to the receiver with RCA cables. But from my limited knowledge of all the connections, I don't get the full quality of using a 7.1 system unless I have the receiver connected with an HDMI cable.

Does anybody have any advice on how to connect my laptop to the receiver to get the best quality sound?

Have you tried running the HDMI from the laptop to the TV and then running a digital coaxial or optical from the TV to the receiver (if the TV has a digital output?).

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
post #198 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

Have you tried running the HDMI from the laptop to the TV and then running a digital coaxial or optical from the TV to the receiver (if the TV has a digital output?).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have an optical audio out on the back of the TV - will that give good quality sound ie. utilize the 7.1 system to its full capacity?
post #199 of 2347 Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I will let you all know how it sounds once its all said and done. Of course, that could be a few weeks based on US Appliances shipping estimate...
post #200 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I will let you all know how it sounds once its all said and done. Of course, that could be a few weeks based on US Appliances shipping estimate...

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I placed my order on 8/9 and received the 6100 yesterday, 8/19.

One thing I have to say upon unboxing this system... is Wow. It's more substantial than I had in mind... in a good way, though.

I share your dilemma in that I'm trying to find a good way to conceal my speaker wires. Right now I'm considering running them behind the walls and up through the attic, but that sounds like a pretty big undertaking... so I'm not sure yet. But I want it to be as clean and as neat as possible.
post #201 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 AM

Seriously, how big is that sub? I might not get this becasue that is so big.
post #202 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16 View Post

Seriously, how big is that sub? I might not get this becasue that is so big.

The sub's dimensions are 10 13/16" x 19 15/16" x 16 3/16" (275 x 507 6x 411 mm) and it weighs 25lbs.

So, it's pretty big. But I think it's stylish. And it's glossy black finish matches my Samsung HDTV and PS3 perfectly. So, I like it.. but some might not. To each his own, right?
post #203 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM

So.. last night as I was unboxing my 6100 I noticed that each speaker had two holes for screws.. I'm assuming for wall mounting.

This whole time I thought I'd have to buy either speaker stands or wall mounts. What's wrong with just mounting the speakers onto the walls with those holes in the plastic casing of the speaker itself? I realize you wouldn't be able to angle them, but is there somethign else I'm missing?
post #204 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

So.. last night as I was unboxing my 6100 I noticed that each speaker had two holes for screws.. I'm assuming for wall mounting.

This whole time I thought I'd have to buy either speaker stands or wall mounts. What's wrong with just mounting the speakers onto the walls with those holes in the plastic casing of the speaker itself? I realize you wouldn't be able to angle them, but is there somethign else I'm missing?

I was going to mount mine on the wall using those mounting points...I think they even give you foam spacers so the speaker doesnt rest on the wall. I dont see why it would hurt anything? It wouldnt hurt to give it a shot...see how it sounds!
post #205 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:

The sub's dimensions are 10 13/16" x 19 15/16" x 16 3/16" (275 x 507 6x 411 mm) and it weighs 25lbs.

So, it's pretty big. But I think it's stylish. And it's glossy black finish matches my Samsung HDTV and PS3 perfectly. So, I like it.. but some might not. To each his own, right?

Its rather large, but your right, very stylish and sexy..

post #206 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thats what I did with the rear speakers. Looks and sounds fine. But the foam spacers are needed, they help.
post #207 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM

Ackk! They took away the "Add to Cart" button for this item on the US Appliances page... Until further notice...

So, I was wondering if any new owners could comment on the analog video upscaling quality. This was a negative area for the TX-SR606, at least in the CNET review, and if this is basically the same receiver... Any comment would be helpful.
post #208 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Circuit City has it for $599.99 plus add a 10% coupon/code floating around brings it down to $539.99 plus tax with free shipping.
post #209 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmix View Post

Ackk! They took away the "Add to Cart" button for this item on the US Appliances page... Until further notice...

So, I was wondering if any new owners could comment on the analog video upscaling quality. This was a negative area for the TX-SR606, at least in the CNET review, and if this is basically the same receiver... Any comment would be helpful.

I thought they reviewed the 605, but not the 606? i remember reading about the upscaling issue but it was my understanding that this didnt affect the 606. Now that we are on topic...how do I get it to upscale? I know I would want to leave untouched signals coming from my PS3, for example, but how about my wii (maximum resolution of 480p with component cable) how do i set it to upscale that? anybody know?
post #210 of 2347 Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

I thought they reviewed the 605, but not the 606? i remember reading about the upscaling issue but it was my understanding that this didnt affect the 606. Now that we are on topic...how do I get it to upscale? I know I would want to leave untouched signals coming from my PS3, for example, but how about my wii (maximum resolution of 480p with component cable) how do i set it to upscale that? anybody know?

You just go to the HDMI Output settings in the menu and scroll over to 1080i for the TX-SR606. (Page 80 of OM)

Home Theater TX-SR606 review - They say it is the best receiver they have ever tested under $1,000 and you can buy it for less than half of that.

"If God dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting!" -Handey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page