Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1093 Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got it to work, I had to run hdmi from dvd to tv, then optical cable fromdvd to reciever. don't know why it wouldn't work the other way ..but its good now. this system is great! got it all calibrated and tweeked...sounds awsome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Anyone using wall mounts on either the surrounds or rears? If so which? I need to hang the rears on my ceiling and have picked some mounts up but I am not sure I trust them that much to hold these things. Any help appreciated.

I was going to list my equipment, but it told me not to. So instead I will just say it's a bad mother with some kick and nice visual.
post #273 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM

Can someone tell me what the difference is between this 9100THX and the Onkyo HT-S990THX?
post #274 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 PM

the 9100 is this years model and I believe the 990 does not have HDMI... there are some other differences also (990 has XM support but does not upconvert to 1080i)...those are the biggies imo

I was going to list my equipment, but it told me not to. So instead I will just say it's a bad mother with some kick and nice visual.
post #275 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 PM

ok thank you im so frustrated that i cannot even buy this thing because i cannot find a place that has it in stock
post #276 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 PM

I am looking at getting this setup as well.. also checking into building my own. I work for a company that has deals with companies for amazing discounts... such as Yamaha and Polk Audio :O :O ... I just hope I can figure out what I want without going insane lol. All these posts definitely help!
post #277 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM

vanns.com at 949 shipped and 6 months (or 12 months if you call and ask) no interest financing... I can say this about this system. I am using the cheapo wires that came with it and haven't mounted or calibrated everything the right way yet and this thing rocks!!

post #278 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM

that makes me want it even more but yeah you def need to upgrade to some 14 or 16 ga wire vanns is out of stock right now
post #279 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideHunter08 View Post

that makes me want it even more but yeah you def need to upgrade to some 14 or 16 ga wire vanns is out of stock right now

I have some 12AWG THX Certified wire in my garage.... just haven't got to it yet ... I see what your saying at Vanns ... You can still pre-order then you for sure get one. Little tip though. You that notify me deal they have when it becomes available... it doesn't work. Being that I have Electronics A.D.D I kept checking everyday and all of a sudden it was there. I ordered right away and it was sold out the next day. Soooooooo make sure you do the same thing I did and check every day order quickly.

post #280 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 PM

http://www.ealtex.com/product_info.php?products_id=444

someone has go to take a look at this and tell me if its a load of crap or not. this system for 489.90 it doesnt say its refurbished or anything please reply
post #281 of 1093 Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

The legitimate store is in Texas, it's like Fry's: http://www.altex.com/

Your link is trying to rip you off - lol, ealtex.com. Have patience and buy from an authorized Onkyo dealer.

It's funny, Altex even put a disclaimer all over their website: "Altex Computers and Electronics, Ltd. has no affiliation with Ealtex Electronics."
post #282 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrloon View Post

@ JDub_41 Having the connectors, speaker cables or sub cable too close to a power source may cause some interference. The extension cord could be an issue. Have you tried plugging it directly into the wall to notice if there is a difference?

I've got my system all setup and calibrated and I'm still noticing a slight hum from my sub. Sounds like feedback that comes and goes. No one else seems to notice it unless I point it out to them but its annoying the crap out of me! I have all my equipment connected to the receiver via HDMI. I've made sure to connect both the receiver and the sub directly into my wall outlets. I've also replaced the sub wire with some THX certified RCA. None of these things has gotten rid of the hum. I've heard some mention on the board of a ground loop terminator (inexpensive solution). Is that what I need to fix this annoying sound? Maybe I need a power strip with a line conditioner (seems like an expensive solution)? Can anybody suggest a solution that wont kill my pocket?
post #283 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM

MMUSF,

Same problem here. Upgraded the RCA like you and then manually adjusted the sensitivity of the sub to get it to go into Standby (red light). Had to fiddle with the settings a bit before I found the right setting.

Sometimes it is still slow to go back to Standby once it has been working for a movie. Mine is plugged into a voltage regulator/line conditioner. All HDMI w/ ferrite cores here for other components.

Maybe the RCA is sensitive enough to pickup interference if there is another cable line crossing it.

Most of the time...mine goes to Standby now, since the upgrade of the RCA, the tweaking of the sensitivity settings, and the output on the back.

That is a horrible response, I know, but messing with it is all I know to do.
post #284 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
I'd like to start off my first post by thanking everyone for their contributions to such an amazing thread. You guys are great!! It's a wonder how I used to purchase big ticket items in the past without having any real world feedback. I've been following this thread daily for the past couple of months and the abundance of feedback has helped me narrow down my decision. On to my question:

Mr Fuzz and gang,

Although I don't have the system yet I thought I'd start off by planning it out and purchasing all the minor accessories that I'll need. The first thing that I want to tackle is the RCA cable for the sub. So I noticed that you went to Monoprice to buy an upgraded one and I was wondering if it was similar to the one I already bought from Monoprice.

I bought product ID 2865 - Premium 2 RCA Plug M/M 22 AWG 12 Feet.

Although it's officially an "Audio" cable with 2 connectors on each side I believe I can just separate along the middle for 2 separate cables. Do you think this would suffice for the sub? A colleague of mine is one of those audiophiles and he recommends a 10 or 12 gauge cable for the 290 Watts. This "premium" cable is only 22 gauge. Does anyone know of a place that sells very high quality sub cables or should I stick with this one? It seems that a few posters on Newegg and here have complained of a relatively weak sub. I know that modifying the settings to about 20% past the THX level helps and I'm expecting a top quality cable to contribute to the ooomf as well.
post #285 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #286 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM

The eagle has landed - box was trashed from top to bottom and 2/3 of the foam was cracked inside. I haven't hooked it up yet as I am still hiding/running 14g speaker wire (damn this stuff is thick - there is no way I could have done 12g). All parts seem to be undamaged and unscratched.

Had a major blowout with my wife (on something completely unrelated) which changed my plans of having all the wires, etc already set up. Oh well, I've waited two months already, another day or two is nothing.

I'll post pics, etc. soon.

Lastly, although its been said many times already - wow, the rear/side surrounds are big
post #287 of 1093 Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbdl View Post

The eagle has landed - box was trashed from top to bottom and 2/3 of the foam was cracked inside. I haven't hooked it up yet as I am still hiding/running 14g speaker wire (damn this stuff is thick - there is no way I could have done 12g). All parts seem to be undamaged and unscratched.

Had a major blowout with my wife (on something completely unrelated) which changed my plans of having all the wires, etc already set up. Oh well, I've waited two months already, another day or two is nothing.

I'll post pics, etc. soon.

Lastly, although its been said many times already - wow, the rear/side surrounds are big

I used 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cable from Monoprice. I bought 100 feet and that worked out about right for my install. Also used their high quality banana plugs. Both were priced very reasonably and even took their 3 business day delivery. These cables & plugs arrived the next day after I received my fantastic Onkyo unit. I took pictures of my damaged box too, but found after opening a day later, that this unit was well protected and no damaged had taken place.

I have built in speaker wall plates so I ordered 20(sets) of banana plugs, and cut the same length for cables for center and both fronts. This was an upgrade to my present dedicated Home Theater Room (2004) at a much lower cost than the originally planned. I have saved so much on my updating with a new Samsung 67 inch (HL67A 750) and this Onkyo HT-S9100THX kit that today I ordered a new Onkyo Blue-ray Disc player (DV-BD606). This should complete my updating. Yes I am (we, Wife too) pleased and recommend the above. Hell I have had Onkyo A/V receivers in the past that cost over 1K. Now I am ready for 1080P.

Samsung HL67A750 RPTV, TWO 2013 Hoppers w/Sling, OTA Digital Dongle, My Book Essential
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ONKYO HT-S9100 THX speakers & ONKYO TX-NR616 A/V receiver, ONKYO DV-BD606 Blu-Ray Disc Player, Harmony ONE Remote, GOOGLE TV, w 4 other TV's (LCD & LED).
post #288 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTurba View Post

A colleague of mine is one of those audiophiles and he recommends a 10 or 12 gauge cable for the 290 Watts. This "premium" cable is only 22 gauge. Does anyone know of a place that sells very high quality sub cables or should I stick with this one?

The sub is powered, you are only passing signal over the sub cable. The 290 Watts are within the sub itself.
post #289 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6diesel View Post

The sub is powered, you are only passing signal over the sub cable. The 290 Watts are within the sub itself.

Thanks for the quick response 6.6diesel. As this is my first HTiB purchase I wasn't sure if the sub had a separate power plug or was powered by the receiver. So I'll rephrase my question(s) then:

1. Has anyone upgraded the sub cable that came in the box and if so could you provide a link to the cable you purchased? (I have bought a 'premium' 22AWG one from Monoprice for an earlier project but I'm thinking of buying a higher end one).

2. Does anyone know where to find a 10 or 12 gauge sub cable possibly even THX certified?
post #290 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response 6.6diesel. As this is my first HTiB purchase I wasn't sure if the sub had a separate power plug or was powered by the receiver. So I'll rephrase my question(s) then:

1. Has anyone upgraded the sub cable that came in the box and if so could you provide a link to the cable you purchased? (I have bought a 'premium' 22AWG one from Monoprice for an earlier project but I'm thinking of buying a higher end one).

2. Does anyone know where to find a 10 or 12 gauge sub cable possibly even THX certified?

Cable I used and 100 foot On Sale today for only $18.36!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Samsung HL67A750 RPTV, TWO 2013 Hoppers w/Sling, OTA Digital Dongle, My Book Essential
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ONKYO HT-S9100 THX speakers & ONKYO TX-NR616 A/V receiver, ONKYO DV-BD606 Blu-Ray Disc Player, Harmony ONE Remote, GOOGLE TV, w 4 other TV's (LCD & LED).
post #291 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:

These should do the trick...

3ft:

6ft:
post #292 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Hi. All fellow owners. Need your help.

When I connected my DVD player to the receiver via the RCA cables. It does not up-convert and output the images via HDMI to my HDTV except the AUX input ports. When I tried all other RCA ports (DVD/VCR/DVR) - all I have is audio but NO video. Did anyone have the same problem? The receiver will upconvert if the source is Component cables.

Thank you in advance.
post #293 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Make sure you have enabled the up converting feature

post #294 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

[quote=rickaren;15602311]Cable I used and 100 foot On Sale today for only $18.36!

Rickaren thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should have spelled out subwoofer as I think you're referring to the regular speaker cable. I usually don't like to open another can of worms until I'm done with the 1st one. However, I guess I might as well ask.

1. Can you confirm that this cable is in fact 12 AWG measured?
2. Does anyone think there would be a noticeable difference between 10,12, and 14 AWG?
3. Since the 9100 is a THX system wouldn't it be advisable to buy a THX certified roll of speaker wire or is this unnecessary marketing?
4. Last question is noooooby... I can't tell from the drawing but I imagine this cable can be stripped at the end for both the black and red connectors. So both cables in one?
post #295 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hey 6.6diesel, thanks for the links. I've seen these cables before and they're similar to my audio cable:

However, the net of my concern is that these cables are quite thin at 22 AWG. I don't know if I'm being over-demanding but I can't seem to find 10 or 12 gauge RCA cables online anywhere. While researching I found this snippit that kind of makes me lean to spending a bit more and getting a top-of-the-line subwoofer cable. From http://www.wisegeek.com/what-should-...er-cables.htm:

"That said, audiophiles will likely opt for a little more assurance that they are getting everything they can from their sound system, and might choose 12-gauge for surround-sound speakers, and 10-gauge for the subwoofer. The subwoofer delivers the bass sounds in a home theater system, and the thick 10 gauge cable assures low resonance signals will be replicated nicely. Surround sound speakers can also be wired with 10-gauge cables, but this is probably an unnecessary margin of overkill. In home applications it is rare to use anything thicker than 10-gauge speaker cables."

I have a strong feeling that some of the humming and buzzing sounds heard by others could be remedied with a high-end cable. Although I dislike them in general this is straight from Monster marketing "Unfortunately, ordinary audio interconnects aren't designed to deliver deep powerful bass and they often transmit buzz and hum."

I know everyone here is in love with Monoprice as am I, but I don't feel that they have an RCA cable that would be really classified as premium. Has any expert here ever connected their subwoofer with a 10 gauge RCA cable? If so, please advise.
post #296 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

[quote=TurboTurba;15605312]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaren View Post

Cable I used and 100 foot On Sale today for only $18.36!

Rickaren thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should have spelled out subwoofer as I think you're referring to the regular speaker cable. I usually don't like to open another can of worms until I'm done with the 1st one. However, I guess I might as well ask.

1. Can you confirm that this cable is in fact 12 AWG measured?
2. Does anyone think there would be a noticeable difference between 10,12, and 14 AWG?
3. Since the 9100 is a THX system wouldn't it be advisable to buy a THX certified roll of speaker wire or is this unnecessary marketing?
4. Last question is noooooby... I can't tell from the drawing but I imagine this cable can be stripped at the end for both the black and red connectors. So both cables in one?

I did upgrade from my previous 14 AWG wiring I used on my Energy Take 5.2 (w/2 back speakers for 7.1) and S8.2 subwoofer to assure the best sound. I already had an upgraded subwoofer feed cable (Acoustic Research Performance) so I used it instead of the Onkyo supplied one. And yes cables are together as one pair but available as a quad too. One cable is marked with a blue line. Spool has the same info as the Link and states strand count 87 wires. I would think that there is really is a point of overkill but the Onkyo supplied speaker wire does not seem to match the quality of their speakers or A/V receiver. Just like the wild difference in premium HDMI cables prices you can buy Monster THX certified speaker cables, but are they really cost effective? If you are building one of those 100K HT, maybe.

post #297 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Hey 6.6diesel, thanks for the links. I've seen these cables before and they're similar to my audio cable:

However, the net of my concern is that these cables are quite thin at 22 AWG. I don't know if I'm being over-demanding but I can't seem to find 10 or 12 gauge RCA cables online anywhere. While researching I found this snippit that kind of makes me lean to spending a bit more and getting a top-of-the-line subwoofer cable. From http://www.wisegeek.com/what-should-...er-cables.htm:

"That said, audiophiles will likely opt for a little more assurance that they are getting everything they can from their sound system, and might choose 12-gauge for surround-sound speakers, and 10-gauge for the subwoofer. The subwoofer delivers the bass sounds in a home theater system, and the thick 10 gauge cable assures low resonance signals will be replicated nicely. Surround sound speakers can also be wired with 10-gauge cables, but this is probably an unnecessary margin of overkill. In home applications it is rare to use anything thicker than 10-gauge speaker cables."

I have a strong feeling that some of the humming and buzzing sounds heard by others could be remedied with a high-end cable. Although I dislike them in general this is straight from Monster marketing "Unfortunately, ordinary audio interconnects aren't designed to deliver deep powerful bass and they often transmit buzz and hum."

I know everyone here is in love with Monoprice as am I, but I don't feel that they have an RCA cable that would be really classified as premium. Has any expert here ever connected their subwoofer with a 10 gauge RCA cable? If so, please advise.

10ga would only be required if you had a passive sub. You have a powered sub, so your cable only needs to carry signal.

Large gauge wire is only required for carrying current. Your quote is talking about 10ga "speaker wire" to the sub, the RCA you require is really more of an "input" cable.

Any good quality RCA cable will serve you fine.
post #298 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:

If humming and buzzing is caused by cables it's usually due to poor connectors.
post #299 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM

I have this system on the way and I just wanted to get some opinions on the best 7.1 speaker placement. For instance at ear level or how far above ear level should they be placed. With a sofa directly in the middle of the setup have far should each speaker be from the sofa in each direction for best performance. I have heard some say ear level is best and some say two or three feet above ear level is best this is the main question i would like an answer for. Also some recommendation on so good stands for these speakers?
post #300 of 1093 Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscochris View Post

Anyone using wall mounts on either the surrounds or rears? If so which? I need to hang the rears on my ceiling and have picked some mounts up but I am not sure I trust them that much to hold these things. Any help appreciated.

I'm using Init® - Home Theater Speaker Mount - picked up from Best Buy. They can mount from ceiling or wall. I have my rear and surround speakers mounted on the wall. They are rated for 8 lbs and feel sturdy enough. The mounts have an attachment that can be attached to the keyhole speaker mount on the back of the HT-S9100THX surround speakers, but I didn't feel that it was enough and perhaps foolishly removed the kehole mount and used short wood screws to attach the wider two screw base to the back fo the speakers. This required new holes as the mount doesn't line up with the existing ones, but they do fit in the general vicinity of the existing holes.

I just got my system set up late last night and only had time to run through the initial setup. The audessy setup guide was easy and completed without error. I played a few tracks from a CD and listened to a few minutes of whatever was on cable. First impression is that the volume seems kinda weak. Seems like you have to turn the volume way way up just to get to a decent level for normal operation. I made sure the mute wasn't on, but that's about all I've had time to do. I'll tweak some more later.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page