Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1093 Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Maybe your laptop can't bitstream DTS-MA? Were you using HDMI output for audio?

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1093 Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

I just purchased my system from MakoPhone for $800. Woo hoo!

How? Shows $995 when I look. Looking to buy but I have not found a great deal yet.
post #543 of 1093 Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Wow! They didn't waste any time raising the price. Sorry, man.
post #544 of 1093 Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 PM

You could go this route if you are willing to wait 2 months: http://search.live.com/products/Onky...erce&FORM=ENCA.
post #545 of 1093 Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 PM

Bought this system for $789 shipped from Accessories4less about a month ago, labeled as refurb but it is brand new. Hooked it up to a PS3 (HDMI), EEEBox HTPC (Optical) & U-verse HD DVR (HDMI).

1) Awesome bass from the sub at 'THX level' on the subwoofer.
2) Loudest on 'All Ch Stereo' setting.
3) THX and DTS settings lower the volume significantly.
4) Receiver gets very hot, not sure if it's because of my TV stand with a glass door.

So far, I like it very much. The full size speakers do a make a difference in sound delivery.

Kris
post #546 of 1093 Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM

My reciever is telling me i only have surrounds and not back surrounds...ive had it for 2 weeks and now it wont stop....any help...it just started today
EDIT: It's Fixed But the auto eq says i have no back right and always reads speaker detect error....I have HORRIBLE luck with anything electronic....
3 Xbox 360's, 2 Ipods, 1 Zune (Thank God I own 3 lol)
post #547 of 1093 Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mine should arrive on Monday. It's coming UPS and it's set for delivery.

I can't wait!!!
post #548 of 1093 Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan6831 View Post

Hey folks, i've been playing blu-rays on my laptop hooked up to my HT-s9100thx through cyberlink powerdvd 9. When I select for the receiver to decode the codec's, the DTS-HD MA has never come up. Is this supposed to appear on the display panel?

The other day is tried a 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA blu-ray and when i hit display on the receivers button, all i got was 5.1 and DTS-HD MA never came up on the display panel. What's going on here?

This is from Cyberlinks site:
Quote:

HD Audio Compatible Sound Card List

* Realtek ALC885 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
* Realtek ALC889 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
* Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (supports HDMI 1.3a bit-stream lossless pass-throughavailable soon from partner Auzentech)

post #549 of 1093 Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

YAY! I got my Onkyo HTS-9100THX today! Damn, that's a HUGE box ... and it looks like it has been through hell and back, but everything checks out fine. I just finished installing the fronts/center/sub for now with the 12 gauge Monoprice speaker wire and I'm totally blown away with the awesome power this system delivers. I can't imagine how much better it's going to sound with the surrounds and rear channels hooked up.

I'm lovin' it!
post #550 of 1093 Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Pixs ...

post #551 of 1093 Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM

Can someone post the extra tweaks you did after the auto setup to get the best sound out of the system.
post #552 of 1093 Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 AM

Receiver does get hot you do need a room for this thing to put do not sack anything at top of that receiver. The quality isn't great it can be break if is too heavy in the top.

As for sound, if you wanted enjoy best hd loseless sound you need a stanlone blu-ray player that most current release, because ps3 all it does is decorde itself and pcm to receiver, this receiver use better decorde chip than the ps3, so down in the road when blu-ray stand alone hit around 100 or lower, consider get one just to try it.

Also PS3 use nearly 10 time smore power than stand alone blu-ray and the noise fan can be another reason you might wanted only play game on ps3 and watch movie on other player.
post #553 of 1093 Old 05-23-2009, 03:31 AM

I don't think you had better deals than in AAFES Military Exchange site, 680 Shipped total, this is brand new unit too
post #554 of 1093 Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 AM

Is this product still being sold? I cant find it anywhere here in the Netherlands
post #555 of 1093 Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultje66 View Post

Is this product still being sold? I cant find it anywhere here in the Netherlands

A friend just bought one a week ago here in the US, however the price is going up instead of going down. For what I'm reading it just gotten very popular and it just got reviewed in "Home Theater Magazine".

We finished installing it Friday night after running into some roadblocks, not due to the equipment or speakers but installation itself. He fixed a room on top of the garage. He wanted to keep the installation clean and very professional so we removed the baseboards at the front and sides to run all speaker wire then fished the wires up through the walls tho reached the ceiling. We terminated the speakers with wall plates. The rear and surround speakers are mounted from the ceiling with brackets very cool looking, the fronts are set on 30" stands.

The problem was when we tried running the speaker setup through the receiver it will clipped and shut off. I thought there was something wrong with the receiver at first, but after running several tests and trouble shooting one issue at a time we found that the left front wire some how was shortening. Probably when the baseboard was nailed back down one of the nails perforated the wire. For now we just ran a wire directly to the speaker, we'll decide if pulling the baseboard in the front to change that wire is worth it or not. I looks very nice.

First Impression: I have an Onkyo 805 myself. The setup menus are very similar as well operational wise the receivers act almost the same. His receiver has not been run through the Addisey(SP), we just set it up manually to set the distances to the speakers. Sound quality is excellent, however sound volume seemed soft. After going through this thread is looks that this issue can be adjusted a little, and I'm sure is a matter of getting use to that specific receiver. Overall is a very nice set up for a fully THX certified system.

If I get the chance to take some pictures I'll post them later.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #556 of 1093 Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some pics from the installation:

The receiver is inside the center portion of the TV stand. It has an Aquos BD player on top of it, there is no other option so far to put the BD player. The BD player has some spacers in between the receiver and the player to give it some extra breathing room.

Front Speaker on Sanus 30" stands. We added velcro to the bottom just to be safe. And the Sub.

Surrounds and backs...

Center...

And a pic from the tv stand

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #557 of 1093 Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM

I have seen poor reviews on the newegg website but great ones here. I want to invest in this system but only if it is worth it has anyone had any major problems or grips with this system?

Also what gauge speaker wire is best to use with it or the wire that it comes with is ok?
post #558 of 1093 Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 PM

How long until the new model year for this system? September?
post #559 of 1093 Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

I would move the Blu-ray player elsewhere. The receiver puts out a ton of heat and the vents are being covered the way you have it set up now.
post #560 of 1093 Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert View Post

I would move the Blu-ray player elsewhere. The receiver puts out a ton of heat and the vents are being covered the way you have it set up now.

Yep I know, that was my concern too when we placed it there. The BD does not fit on the sides of the tv stand, go figure... the center is 19" and the side are only 14.5". There is space for an extra shelf that would give the receiver 3" of clearance, I think that is the next best option.

As a matter of fact, when we were testing the setup for the first time and started clipping, my first thought was that the receiver was getting too hot. As it stands now it has a 1" space in between components, but yes not having anything on top is the best way to go.

post #561 of 1093 Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugupo View Post

I don't think you had better deals than in AAFES Military Exchange site, 680 Shipped total, this is brand new unit too

That's where I've got mine as well. That was the best price you can find anywhere. I was lucky to have found one there. When I went to their website, they had 4 left. By the time I finished making my order, they were sold out.

I've been to their website numerous times, but they do not have them in stock anymore. They've got the S7100 / S6100 though.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #562 of 1093 Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Yep I know, that was my concern too when we placed it there. The BD does not fit on the sides of the tv stand, go figure... the center is 19" and the side are only 14.5". There is space for an extra shelf that would give the receiver 3" of clearance, I think that is the next best option.

As a matter of fact, when we were testing the setup for the first time and started clipping, my first thought was that the receiver was getting too hot. As it stands now it has a 1" space in between components, but yes not having anything on top is the best way to go.

I would also suggest adding a fan behind the receiver to exhaust the air inside the cabinet.
post #563 of 1093 Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert View Post

The receiver does run quite hot after some hour of operation, also the receiver isn't good quality builing, the top isn't too strong, if the top fall out it can cause devasting damage to the chip inside. I never like idea of eletronic running at top of each other.

Anyway you should had a portable fire extinger just incase.
post #564 of 1093 Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's where I've got mine as well. That was the best price you can find anywhere. I was lucky to have found one there. When I went to their website, they had 4 left. By the time I finished making my order, they were sold out.

I've been to their website numerous times, but they do not have them in stock anymore. They've got the S7100 / S6100 though.

If i would do all over again, i would probably buy the speaker separate and the receiver as well. I like floor front speaker better, also the 9100 cose me like 130 to get the 3 set of speaker stand. The wire that comes with the package is very very poor quality, get you own wire. and add banana plugs.
post #565 of 1093 Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugupo View Post

If i would do all over again, i would probably buy the speaker separate and the receiver as well. I like floor front speaker better, also the 9100 cose me like 130 to get the 3 set of speaker stand. The wire that comes with the package is very very poor quality, get you own wire. and add banana plugs.

You have to keep in mind that with this system you are getting a full THX certified system: receiver, speakers ans sub. If you would get THX certified everything separates, you can't get close to this price. Just the FACTS...

post #566 of 1093 Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Anyone know how to get sound out of the tv and the receiver at the same time without messing with the remote. For example. If i have tv control set to on and i want to use the av jacks on my tv I will get no sound unless i go into the receiver and mess with the settings and turn tv control off. I would like sound out of both at the same time when playing from the receiver or at least be able to plug av jack in and not have to mess with the settings each time.
post #567 of 1093 Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rslt1 View Post

Anyone know how to get sound out of the tv and the receiver at the same time without messing with the remote. For example. If i have tv control set to on and i want to use the av jacks on my tv I will get no sound unless i go into the receiver and mess with the settings and turn tv control off. I would like sound out of both at the same time when playing from the receiver or at least be able to plug av jack in and not have to mess with the settings each time.

is your tv plug to hdmi port in the receiver?
post #568 of 1093 Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM

I've read every post here in preparation for making the big purchase. I rumaged around the net for a few days looking for the best price. Most places had it for $994, some with free shipping and some not. One or two posts here mentioned universalmania.com which I was unfamiliar with. I placed an order with them Saturday and they shipped this morning. They charged $739.75 plus shipping. That's the cheapest place I could find. It's new, not refurb. I thought maybe some other folks here could use the info. It's quite a savings.
post #569 of 1093 Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Excellent pics man! thanks How much did you spend including the stands and all that?

BTW, a universal controller would fit you really well =D haha

Quote:

The receiver is inside the center portion of the TV stand. It has an Aquos BD player on top of it, there is no other option so far to put the BD player. The BD player has some spacers in between the receiver and the player to give it some extra breathing room.

Front Speaker on Sanus 30" stands. We added velcro to the bottom just to be safe. And the Sub.

Surrounds and backs...

Center...

And a pic from the tv stand

post #570 of 1093 Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelajjam View Post

Excellent pics man! thanks How much did you spend including the stands and all that?

BTW, a universal controller would fit you really well =D haha

Thank you Mike. I'm just the instigator in this install. This is a friend's house, I just convinced him to do it right and run all the wires behind the walls ant terminate all the speakers.

As I mentioned before there is one speaker wire, front left, that is shortening somewhere, after a long hard thought we are going back and trying to find where the short is.

I can mention some of the cost that I know:

Speaker wire -- 300ft 14g : $55.00
Banana plugs : 17.00
Front speaker wall plates 12.00
Miscellaneous wall plates 9.00
Speaker ceiling mounts 18.00
Speaker stands 35.00
2 HDMI cables 6ft 24.00
Lutron IR dimmer 36.00

The remote is the next step, as well as calibrate the audio and the tv.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page