Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB - Page 27 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Home Theater In A Box > Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB

Home Theater In A Box

Everdog's Avatar Everdog
12:01 PM Liked: 10
post #781 of 1093
12-29-2009 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

soon these the 9100's will be sold out, then the 9200's will be the first network HTIB

It's really not an HT in a Box, It's more like a large crate!

Anyway for this price I could always sell the receiver on ebay and upgrade, but I have no reason to. I use Sonos thoughout my whole house for audio and PS3s for video which is far better than having networking built in to a receiver.

OK, so this arrived today and so far everything is very impressive. I tested a couple speakers any they seemed to be very clear. I am guessing that over time they will break-in and sound even better. Also, the wood cabinets are very nice.
osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx
12:34 PM Liked: 11
post #782 of 1093
12-29-2009 | Posts: 1,838
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

It's really not an HT in a Box, It's more like a large crate!

Anyway for this price I could always sell the receiver on ebay and upgrade, but I have no reason to. I use Sonos thoughout my whole house for audio and PS3s for video which is far better than having networking built in to a receiver.

OK, so this arrived today and so far everything is very impressive. I tested a couple speakers any they seemed to be very clear. I am guessing that over time they will break-in and sound even better. Also, the wood cabinets are very nice.

post some pics
BADASSBBQ's Avatar BADASSBBQ
05:47 PM Liked: 10
post #783 of 1093
12-29-2009 | Posts: 5
Joined: Dec 2009
Man, am I ever glad I found this site today while searching for info on the new 9200! My wife, for Christmas, bought me something that she thought would be as good as what I wanted...you know where this is going...damn salesmen! Anyway you all know that the 9100 is impossible to find in store but thanks to Everdog I have one ordered from accessories4less with an eta of Jan 7!
Thanks-a-bunch!
Everdog's Avatar Everdog
08:28 AM Liked: 10
post #784 of 1093
12-30-2009 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSBBQ View Post

Man, am I ever glad I found this site today while searching for info on the new 9200! My wife, for Christmas, bought me something that she thought would be as good as what I wanted...you know where this is going...damn salesmen! Anyway you all know that the 9100 is impossible to find in store but thanks to Everdog I have one ordered from accessories4less with an eta of Jan 7!
Thanks-a-bunch!

Be prepared for a huge box that weighs about 150 pounds! Also, FYI, I received mine on the date they predicted.

One cool thing I found out is that you should have all 3 front speakers match (check speaker forum). Most systems have a center channel that is different (2 woofers while the L+R just have one). For this system all 3 fronts are the same except for the labels. Also, they feel fairly solid and night light and hollow.

Anyway, good luck!
postup's Avatar postup
12:37 PM Liked: 10
post #785 of 1093
12-30-2009 | Posts: 17
Joined: Dec 2009
Glad I stumbled upon this, but don't have time to read all pages. Quick question for those who bought one:
How is it with music?
Rig85's Avatar Rig85
01:10 PM Liked: 10
post #786 of 1093
12-30-2009 | Posts: 108
Joined: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by postup View Post

Glad I stumbled upon this, but don't have time to read all pages. Quick question for those who bought one:
How is it with music?

Music sounds good to me. I don't listen to it often (usually when cleaning), but I like it.
Everdog's Avatar Everdog
01:25 PM Liked: 10
post #787 of 1093
12-30-2009 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig85 View Post

Music sounds good to me. I don't listen to it often (usually when cleaning), but I like it.

I do not have mine installed yet, but did a few tests with the speakers and like the music very much. One problem with many HTIBs is that the speakers are usually 3 inches or less in size, so much of the mid-range is played on the sub-woofer. Many like those Bose cubes have a hole in the mid-ranage that is too low for the tiny speakers, but too high for the sub. IMHO, once your go to speakers that are over 5 inches, that problem goes away. Also tiny speakers have to work very hard to move air.
BillieThePuppet's Avatar BillieThePuppet
08:41 PM Liked: 10
post #788 of 1093
12-30-2009 | Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 2009
I just found a surprising low price for this unit here:

shopmaniadotcom/

shopping~online-home-cinema~buy-onkyo-hts9100thx~p-6428313 HTML

$ 479.99 USD

I think it is too good to be true to be perfectly honest but it is rather amusing. I just purchased the unit online myself on the 27th @ electronics4lessdotca and after taxes and shipping it was 1400.99 Cdn. If it the 479.99 is a legit site/ purchase that sucks cause I could have gotten the harmony 1100 aswell.
canDarian's Avatar canDarian
09:59 AM Liked: 10
post #789 of 1093
12-31-2009 | Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 2009
Heres a couple picks,as you might notice cable management isn't my fortay

Can't wait for wireless everything.

And that box is dam heavy 140 pounds give or take and unwieldly as it measures 20" Deep 29"Wide and 42" High ,most carriers will only do curbside on it.
My place is a mess so you only get the center and FL FR think can see the sub aswell.

Oh and I crank my music sounds aweasome,ofcos I crank my Blurays aswell and the uncompressed pcm is to die for NHL 2010 on the PS3 sounds particularly well to.

W/O a doubt best HTiab I ever purchased.






osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx
11:02 AM Liked: 11
post #790 of 1093
12-31-2009 | Posts: 1,838
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by canDarian View Post

Heres a couple picks,as you might notice cable management isn't my fortay

Can't wait for wireless everything.

And that box is dam heavy 140 pounds give or take and unwieldly as it measures 20" Deep 29"Wide and 42" High ,most carriers will only do curbside on it.
My place is a mess so you only get the center and FL FR think can see the sub aswell.

Oh and I crank my music sounds aweasome,ofcos I crank my Blurays aswell and the uncompressed pcm is to die for NHL 2010 on the PS3 sounds particularly well to.

W/O a doubt best HTiab I ever purchased.






how do you like the sub?
canDarian's Avatar canDarian
11:18 AM Liked: 10
post #791 of 1093
12-31-2009 | Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 2009
I had to turn the sub down as it was working to well.There are alot of settings that just shouldn't be handled by their internal software speaker setup.You can turn that sub up to the point that it makes water in a glass ripple .

I'll try get my video to my PC working and upload a vid of me an the 9100 system tormenting my neighbours

Also the UN55B8000 man oh man does that TV rock talking plasma blacks zero bleeding and retina burning contrasts,everyone should have it or the UN46B8000.They have native support for mkv which is sweet I use 2 external 2TB drives holding all my HD content direct to the TV all networked with my Xbox PC and PS3,PC COD on that screen is disturbingly beautiful.
osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx
11:22 AM Liked: 11
post #792 of 1093
12-31-2009 | Posts: 1,838
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by canDarian View Post

I had to turn the sub down as it was working to well.There are alot of settings that just shouldn't be handled by their internal software speaker setup.You can turn that sub up to the point that it makes water in a glass ripple .

I'll try get my video to my PC working and upload a vid of me an the 9100 system tormenting my neighbours

nice
canDarian's Avatar canDarian
11:53 AM Liked: 10
post #793 of 1093
12-31-2009 | Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 2009
Heres a few pics of 1080p wallpaper on the Samy I was about 2 feet away taken with a an EoS









Those are untouched,I frickin <3 that TV
Everdog's Avatar Everdog
05:31 PM Liked: 10
post #794 of 1093
01-01-2010 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by canDarian View Post

Heres a couple picks,as you might notice cable management isn't my fortay

JUst a tip...try putting you center just under your TV. Everyone says you should have the tweeters of the L, R and C on the same horizontal plane.
shelbycsx's Avatar shelbycsx
12:01 PM Liked: 10
post #795 of 1093
01-02-2010 | Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 2009
Well, only 2 weeks before I am home from Iraq and I can get this sucker hooked up to my Samsung 50" B650 Plasma I bought while on leave. I am upgrading sound from a Logitech 5500 computer speaker system that sounded really good to me so I should be pretty impressed with this upgrade.

I ordered my 9100THX from Newegg before they sold out. My girlfriend was nice enough to accept the delivery of a 140 pound package and wo-manhandled it into the house. (see attached pics). I think she's a keeper ;-)

I have plans to rearrange my living room to take advantage of the length to allow me to place the rear surrounds a few feet behind the couch (see attached diagram).

I'm going to be ordering 200' of speaker wire, subwoofer cable (15'), and banana plugs from monoprice.com and have already ordered Sanus 31" speaker stands for the fronts. I am still unsure what speaker mounts I should use for the rear/side surrounds. I want them mounted to either the wall or the ceiling but understand the speakers are ginormous. I was looking at the ones at monoprice.com but they have been sold out for over a month now with an ETA of "N/A". I hope they will be getting more in but just don't know when. Otherwise, anyone else know of any alternative mounts for the surrounds at a comparable price?

Let me know if there are any suggestions for my setup at all. I am a newbie and have been trying to learn as much as possible while I am deployed. Any advise or criticisms are welcome.

Thanks!

Jake
LL
LL
LL
LL

 

Living Room topview with dimensions.pdf 14.99609375k . file
latreche34's Avatar latreche34
11:32 PM Liked: 26
post #796 of 1093
01-02-2010 | Posts: 326
Joined: Feb 2005
It's back on accessories4less I ordered mine last night for $699.99
DieselDan's Avatar DieselDan
11:14 PM Liked: 10
post #797 of 1093
01-04-2010 | Posts: 63
Joined: Jul 2006
wow great price
BillieThePuppet's Avatar BillieThePuppet
11:55 PM Liked: 10
post #798 of 1093
01-04-2010 | Posts: 12
Joined: Dec 2009
outletelctronicsdotcom/product_info.php?products_id=444&cPath=46#shopmania

Has it for $479.99 however that site seems a little fishy to me.

I received mine today from another site and have only finished cleaning the room out that its going in (not a dedicated but a bedroom home theater) Turns out I need to get speaker wire (and maybe banana plugs) the default wire is too short as the avr is off to a corner so the lengths of speaker wire are too short. I think its best I get new speaker wire anyways.
latreche34's Avatar latreche34
09:01 AM Liked: 26
post #799 of 1093
01-08-2010 | Posts: 326
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieThePuppet View Post

outletelctronicsdotcom/product_info.php?products_id=444&cPath=46#shopmania

Has it for $479.99 however that site seems a little fishy to me.

I received mine today from another site and have only finished cleaning the room out that its going in (not a dedicated but a bedroom home theater) Turns out I need to get speaker wire (and maybe banana plugs) the default wire is too short as the avr is off to a corner so the lengths of speaker wire are too short. I think its best I get new speaker wire anyways.

No dought it's a scam, when you check out they ask for money order.
KYLE B's Avatar KYLE B
05:37 PM Liked: 10
post #800 of 1093
01-10-2010 | Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 2006
Anyone know where to find it in stock? Maybe they're getting to release an updated version?
Everdog's Avatar Everdog
10:30 AM Liked: 10
post #801 of 1093
01-13-2010 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE B View Post

Anyone know where to find it in stock? Maybe they're getting to release an updated version?

Keep checking places like accessories4less. They pop in in out of stock.

A new model should be out between now and March (?), but will sell closer to MSRP for a while.
Topher L's Avatar Topher L
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #802 of 1093
01-13-2010 | Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 2010
I ordered mine from Vanns on Sunday evening and will receive it this Friday. Got it for $949.

Conversely; prior to ordering my unit from Vanns.com, I had canceled my order from Amazon as they were charging $85 dollars for shipping and it stated that It wouldn't ship for 1 TO 2 MONTHS! It was however cheaper at Amazon.com ($917), but the shipping made the grand total greater than what I would have ended up with at Vanns.com. You could try one of those two.

And just to be clear, the settings that most people found to be the best are the "THX Surround EX" and THX Cinema"? Which one is best for bass?
forestmoonstudio's Avatar forestmoonstudio
04:51 PM Liked: 10
post #803 of 1093
01-14-2010 | Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 2009
What do you guys think about this being connected to a Panny 4000 projector. My room is 16'x14' I was thinking of going with a seperate receiver and speakers but for the price of this. I would be willing to consider this setup.
Everdog's Avatar Everdog
11:01 AM Liked: 10
post #804 of 1093
01-15-2010 | Posts: 4,278
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio View Post

What do you guys think about this being connected to a Panny 4000 projector. My room is 16'x14' I was thinking of going with a seperate receiver and speakers but for the price of this. I would be willing to consider this setup.

I promise it won't ruin your projector's picture.

Also, this really is a "seperate receiver and speakers" and not an HTiB...and its a THX Certified receiver to boot.
osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx
04:40 PM Liked: 11
post #805 of 1093
01-15-2010 | Posts: 1,838
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio View Post

What do you guys think about this being connected to a Panny 4000 projector. My room is 16'x14' I was thinking of going with a seperate receiver and speakers but for the price of this. I would be willing to consider this setup.

whats the most $ you want to spend on a receiver and speakers?
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
07:09 PM Liked: 418
post #806 of 1093
01-15-2010 | Posts: 23,415
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

I promise it won't ruin your projector's picture.

Also, this really is a "seperate receiver and speakers" and not an HTiB...and its a THX Certified receiver to boot.

Actually the package is certified as a whole THX integrated system, not just the receiver.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/hometh...rated_system/#

With this Onkyo model, you get all your THX joy in one box. THX further specifies that its I/S Plus system functions at a viewing (and presumably listening) distance of 8 feet.

8 feet isn't all that far of a viewing/listening distance but still it does meet certain minimum specifcations.
forestmoonstudio's Avatar forestmoonstudio
06:10 AM Liked: 10
post #807 of 1093
01-16-2010 | Posts: 166
Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

whats the most $ you want to spend on a receiver and speakers?

$1000.00 to maybe $1500.00

I was looking at this speaker setup but they just came out with the newer models. Last week the older models were selling for $799.00. Now they are up to $1055.00. http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

I was looking to put the speakers with the Pioneer VSX-1019AH. I can find this one for around $450.00.

Of course I would love to save money like anyone else but I have never owned a HT system. So for me. Would I really know the difference between the two setups? I could save $500.00 and get myself a really good Blu-ray.

Everything that I have read about the Pioneer RV is that it is hard to setup.

So I guess the question is. For about $500.00 more would the better Rv and speakers make that much of a difference for someone who has never heard any kind of system?
osofast240sx's Avatar osofast240sx
08:40 AM Liked: 11
post #808 of 1093
01-16-2010 | Posts: 1,838
Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio View Post

$1000.00 to maybe $1500.00

I was looking at this speaker setup but they just came out with the newer models. Last week the older models were selling for $799.00. Now they are up to $1055.00. http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

I was looking to put the speakers with the Pioneer VSX-1019AH. I can find this one for around $450.00.

Of course I would love to save money like anyone else but I have never owned a HT system. So for me. Would I really know the difference between the two setups? I could save $500.00 and get myself a really good Blu-ray.

Everything that I have read about the Pioneer RV is that it is hard to setup.

So I guess the question is. For about $500.00 more would the better Rv and speakers make that much of a difference for someone who has never heard any kind of system?

i would buy the 9100 and get a really good blu-ray(oppo 83) this setup will last you for the next 5-10 years
LanceX's Avatar LanceX
06:04 PM Liked: 10
post #809 of 1093
01-16-2010 | Posts: 480
Joined: Oct 2009
Ive had this system for...oh 4 months and it is FRICKN AMAZING. Still going strong. Sub woofer still sounds amazing. Have to adjust it sometimes, it does the job too well .

I got lucky and paid 799 for it, free shipping too.

with my 61 DLP 1080p samsung gaming on it is just too much fun ^^
NorthwoodsDave's Avatar NorthwoodsDave
09:21 PM Liked: 10
post #810 of 1093
01-17-2010 | Posts: 7
Joined: Dec 2009
When watching cable TV with the audio going through the receiver we occasionally hear a slight popping sound in the speakers when the TV switches from one commercial to another. Is this normal or should I give Onkyo a call?

Thanks, Dave

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3