Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1093 Old 08-16-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New HTIB from Onkyo, information from their website.

"If you thought our first THX Integrated System Certified receiver/speaker package was a great concept, then this power-packed followup will be sure to please.The HT-S9100THX is the first THX I/S Plus Certified system to handle full high-definition processing of 1080p video and the master quality of Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.Whatever input you choosewhether gaming, movies, broadcasts, or musicthe HT-S9100THX draws on a reservoir of precise amplification power to create a breathtaking home entertainment experience.With video upscaling, revolutionary audio equalization and acoustic treatment technologies, and integrated control with leading display brands, the HT-S9100THX is a fail-safe solution for most home environments."

Looks like it might be a pretty good setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1093 Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 AM

Looks like the same thing except the receiver is newer - has HDMI and Audyssey built-in.
post #3 of 1093 Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodedofome View Post

Looks like the same thing except the receiver is newer - has HDMI and Audyssey built-in.

It also now offers Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA. It also seems the watts per channel has gone up from 110 to 130.
post #4 of 1093 Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Is it me or is this model identical to the HT-S6100 model. But with better speakers that help it get the THX certification.
post #5 of 1093 Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM

I've been looking at this system very closely, and i am almost confident that i will purchase it. Anyone see any major drawbacks with this system?

Basically i will have it connected to my PS3 and my Sony KDS-50A2000. Also note that my PS3 is my main source for watching Blu ray movies, and i have a separate DVD player unit.
post #6 of 1093 Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofos View Post

Is it me or is this model identical to the HT-S6100 model. But with better speakers that help it get the THX certification.

I think you may be right. Looking at the specs, it looks almost the same except the upgraded speakers. At this price point, you are probably better off going separate components. Not worth the large price difference from the 6100.
post #7 of 1093 Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM

What kind of setup would you recommend at this price range, with similar features?
post #8 of 1093 Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM

The 6100 uses the HT-R667 MDD model receiver. Look at the rear view images on the Onkyo site.

The 9100 uses the HT-R960 MDC model receiver.

I'm not sure what's different between them, but there seems to be a difference.
post #9 of 1093 Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM

anybody know what THX i/s plus certification means?
post #10 of 1093 Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd pellowe View Post

anybody know what THX i/s plus certification means?

There are three performance categories for home theater products—THX Integrated Home Theater Systems, THX Select and Select2, and THX Ultra and Ultra2. THX Select2 is an upgrade to the company’s original THX Select™ Certification for AV receivers. THX Select2 Certified receivers are designed to address the growing needs of the newest generation of home entertainment enthusiasts, those who crave immersive DVD, music and video game experiences, but don’t require the full benefits of a large, dedicated home theater environment. In addition to providing product design and performance specifications to manufacturers, THX Select2 offers additional playback features, including THX Surround EX™ and THX listening modes such as THX Cinema, THX Music and THX Games.

While THX Select2 Certified products are designed for small-to medium-sized residential rooms (2,000 cubic feet in size with 10-foot viewing distances), THX Ultra2 is for the acoustics of larger home theaters. THX Ultra2 Certification is reserved for high-end home theater products, specifically those that have the power to distribute sound to dedicated home theater rooms—3,000 cubic feet or larger with 12-foot viewing distances.

THX Certified Integrated Home Theater Systems are geared to small home theater environments and residential living rooms, a space currently filled by home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) products. Because this THX specification is developed and successfully tested by THX as a system, its components—receiver, speakers and amplifier—are optimized to work together to deliver a THX quality audio experience in an affordable “all-in-one” package.

Each THX certification requires manufacturers to build products that meet or exceed the THX standards for presentation excellence, and include such THX features as Timbre Matching™, Bass Management™ and Re-equalization™ (Re-EQ™). Each THX certification category enables manufacturers to feature popular THX listening modes, which incorporate the company’s proprietary Adaptive Speaker Array (ASA) technology for optimizing playback of multi-channel movies, music, and video games in the home.
post #11 of 1093 Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc4.6 View Post

There are three performance categories for home theater productsTHX Integrated Home Theater Systems, THX Select and Select2, and THX Ultra and Ultra2. THX Select2 is an upgrade to the company's original THX Select Certification for AV receivers. THX Select2 Certified receivers are designed to address the growing needs of the newest generation of home entertainment enthusiasts, those who crave immersive DVD, music and video game experiences, but don't require the full benefits of a large, dedicated home theater environment. In addition to providing product design and performance specifications to manufacturers, THX Select2 offers additional playback features, including THX Surround EX and THX listening modes such as THX Cinema, THX Music and THX Games.

While THX Select2 Certified products are designed for small-to medium-sized residential rooms (2,000 cubic feet in size with 10-foot viewing distances), THX Ultra2 is for the acoustics of larger home theaters. THX Ultra2 Certification is reserved for high-end home theater products, specifically those that have the power to distribute sound to dedicated home theater rooms3,000 cubic feet or larger with 12-foot viewing distances.

THX Certified Integrated Home Theater Systems are geared to small home theater environments and residential living rooms, a space currently filled by home theater-in-a-box (HTiB) products. Because this THX specification is developed and successfully tested by THX as a system, its componentsreceiver, speakers and amplifierare optimized to work together to deliver a THX quality audio experience in an affordable all-in-one package.

Each THX certification requires manufacturers to build products that meet or exceed the THX standards for presentation excellence, and include such THX features as Timbre Matching, Bass Management and Re-equalization (Re-EQ). Each THX certification category enables manufacturers to feature popular THX listening modes, which incorporate the company's proprietary Adaptive Speaker Array (ASA) technology for optimizing playback of multi-channel movies, music, and video games in the home.

Ohh my.
Thanks for the info ... that pretty much sums it up for me

Hello Moto!
post #12 of 1093 Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I found that info, I just wasn't sure if it was better or worse than other thx certifications.

I just saw that BandH has this htib in stock. I don't need the extra 2 speakers but this setup sure looks nice for my media room.
post #13 of 1093 Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

So i've been researching all the components to setup my future entertainment center (living room theater if you will ) and the audio is still up in the air for me. I originally had picked out logitech z5500s and quickly realized a computer system is not going to cut it for me. Now I am leaning towards this onkyo setup. Do you guys think this set has what it takes to really take advantage of the new HD audio formats? A lot of the reading i've been doing around here seems to point for the need of some pretty quality speakers to even notice an audible difference with HD.

Also it seems like there is two schools of thought for people with audio budgets at around $1000. Some feel that you get most quality for your buck with an HTIB and others seems to say just get a receiver and the two best speakers you can afford.

To give an idea of my listening interests. I am a huge music enthusiast so that is definately #1 on my list. Other than that my listening pretty split between movies, gaming, etc. I do quite a bit of everything but if there is no other audio going on I always default to some music
post #14 of 1093 Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Are the speakers in this system wall mountable? Says 11.7lbs???
post #15 of 1093 Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM

does anyone know if the receiver can process audio through the hdmi ports, or can they only process video? i've had to take back a couple onkyo receivers because the hdmi input ports only process video.
post #16 of 1093 Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM

These are capable of passing audio through the HDMI ports... In fact a few people have complained of NOT being able to pass ONLY video through these receivers, although that has been figured out... (turning off auto hdmi, and setting input as hdmi and audio from spdif etc...)
post #17 of 1093 Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

I just received this unit. I will post a full review in a few days. So far I have just done a quick set up of the unit to see how it sounds. It is by far the best unit (HTS) I have ever heard. I ordered it a week ago last Tuesday (August 26th) from shoponkyo.com. I paid for two day shipping. However FedEx lost the package and it was not until last Friday that I received it: a week late!!! Although I am not happy with FedEx, I am overall happy about getting the unit. With luck I will have it and the rest of my HST set up this weekend and I shall try and give you all a fair assessment by next Monday.
post #18 of 1093 Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 AM

Hey come on.. Post the review...

Share ur happiness with others......

And also tell us what Wall mount stands should we use !!!!!
post #19 of 1093 Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM

I am considering this system... do you all think that it is worth the extra coin? Also, where can I find this system cheaper than $1000?

Please, I would like a slightly technical response to my question.
post #20 of 1093 Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Does anyone know what speaker stands can be used with this system? I want to order the system today but not until I know what stands I can use.

Thanks
post #21 of 1093 Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Vanquish View Post

Does anyone know what speaker stands can be used with this system? I want to order the system today but not until I know what stands I can use.

Thanks

You need to look at the speakers base dimensions and weight, then start looking for stands that have a similar sized top plate and weight rating. There will be many different stands to choose from, I can tell you that now. The decision will be yours to make on your personal taste and at what height you want the speakers to sit.
post #22 of 1093 Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Sorry folks, but the system has yet to be fully set up. I am a grad student and work and school have been keeping me away from the system. To answer two of the above questions.

1. I did not use wall mounts, just a heavy duty screw into the stud, holds the back surround speakers with no problem.

2. As for stands, I just got Sanus BF-31Bs for the front and back speakers. The back fit fine, but I needed to use some Velcro to give the front speakers the support I felt they needed. Without it the speakers would slid slightly if bumped.

The review may be a while coming, but I can say that the system has been great so far. I have all new equipment (DVD, TV, CD, etc.) so setting up my system is a slow process (besides, I only have an hour a day of free time to work on it).

Best,

TsD
post #23 of 1093 Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 AM

Take all the time u need m8...
post #24 of 1093 Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM

Well, I still have yet to full enjoy the system, but here is a few a quick review. My TV is a Samsung A650, I have a PS3, Wii and X-box 360. DVD is an Oppo DV-983h. Overall I am happy with the ht-s9100thx, but let me start with a few of the negative points.

1. The sub arrived slightly marred; I think this had more to do with the shipper (FedEx, which was a week late with deliver) than with Onkyo. The box (which weighs in at 150 lbs.) arrived damaged.
2. The system is big, which is not a negative in itself, but make sure you are prepared for some very big speakers.
3. The speakers have very cheap wires (about 20 gauge); I replaced them with 16 gauge and I also got a better sub cable (the one that came with the system is very cheap).
4. The speakers are very easy to mount to a wall (I used nothing but a screw put into the stud) but there is no gap between the speaker and the wall. I had to cut a v-shaped channel in the bottom of the two back surround speakers to allow the wires to run in a fashion I was happy with.

The positive:

1. Easy speaker set up. However the speakers are big, I need to get new speaker stands and then I still need to fashion a way on ensuring that a bump would not knock the off (Velcro).
2. The sound is by far the best I have ever heard in a sub-$5000 system.
3. The HDMI up conversion looks great. I have an X-box 360 (non-HDMI) and it looks better when the Onkyo is working its magic.
4. The remote works very well and it has an easy layout to learn and use.
5. The onscreen display is great and makes setup of inputs a pleasure to do.
6. I feel that the grand I spent on this system was well worth it and I have no regrets in buying it.
post #25 of 1093 Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darraght View Post

6. I feel that the grand I spent on this system was well worth it and I have no regrets in buying it.

I think that says it all... ( we r w8ting for some pics when u have the time...)
post #26 of 1093 Old 09-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darraght View Post

Well, I still have yet to full enjoy the system, but here is a few a quick review. My TV is a Samsung A650, I have a PS3, Wii and X-box 360. DVD is an Oppo DV-983h. Overall I am happy with the ht-s9100thx, but let me start with a few of the negative points.

1. The sub arrived slightly marred; I think this had more to do with the shipper (FedEx, which was a week late with deliver) than with Onkyo. The box (which weighs in at 150 lbs.) arrived damaged.
2. The system is big, which is not a negative in itself, but make sure you are prepared for some very big speakers.
3. The speakers have very cheap wires (about 20 gauge); I replaced them with 16 gauge and I also got a better sub cable (the one that came with the system is very cheap).
4. The speakers are very easy to mount to a wall (I used nothing but a screw put into the stud) but there is no gap between the speaker and the wall. I had to cut a v-shaped channel in the bottom of the two back surround speakers to allow the wires to run in a fashion I was happy with.

The positive:

1. Easy speaker set up. However the speakers are big, I need to get new speaker stands and then I still need to fashion a way on ensuring that a bump would not knock the off (Velcro).
2. The sound is by far the best I have ever heard in a sub-$5000 system.
3. The HDMI up conversion looks great. I have an X-box 360 (non-HDMI) and it looks better when the Onkyo is working its magic.
4. The remote works very well and it has an easy layout to learn and use.
5. The onscreen display is great and makes setup of inputs a pleasure to do.

I am going to cop this system. Please get back to us and let us know what the soud is like once you have it running.
post #27 of 1093 Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM

I am looking for speaker stands for this system. Does anybody have any recommendations? Will the Onkyo 240B's work (link at end)?
If those do not work, what about the brand Sanus?
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0
post #28 of 1093 Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Tos

What model receiver comes with this system?
post #29 of 1093 Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Tos

My answer was up message:
The 6100 uses the HT-R667 MDD model receiver.
The 9100 uses the HT-R960 MDC model receiver.

Now, is there anywhere that explains the difference?
post #30 of 1093 Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Anyone else have this HTIB?

Your thoughts?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page