TX-SR606 + SPEAKER SYSTEM vs HT-S7100 HTIB - UNDER $800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 127 Old 09-17-2008, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the first "big boy" system I will be purchasing (big boy for me that is). It will be paired with 1080p Plasma and a PS3. It is easier for me to compare receivers on the market from a features and benefits standpoint because it seems quantitative (2hdmi vs. 4, 1080 pass-through vs. up convert). However, assessing the overall value in the speakers is very qualitative and I do not have the expertise to go this course alone. Please help me with your knowledge and guidance if you can.

I am currently debating between purchasing the Onkyo HT-S7100 HTIB system or purchasing the SR606 receiver separately and pairing it with a speaker system or putting one together (both systems use the SR606). I was looking to buy a beginner system that I could still grow with and narrowed my search down to the SR606 system with 4 HDMI inputs, 1080 up convert, and multiple system set up options (5.1, 7.1....). I will be moving into an apt at the end of this month and will initially only be using the 5.1 set up. My dilemma is below:

1. HT-7100 is on the market for $749 OTD (VANNS)
System includes 7 satellites, two stands, ipod V/An input, 230 power 10" sub

2. SR606 is on the market for $379 OTD (Tiger Direct)
Receiver only

Option 2 leaves me with $370 to spend on a speaker system. My max budget would be $420 for speakers and would keep me under $800 total.

Do you have any suggestions for a speaker system that I could put together for less than $420 OTD that would be a better value than the HT-7100 HTIB? I would only need a 5.1 system with a sub to start with, and then I could add on down the road.

Your time and help is greatly appreciated.
ovaldes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 127 Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
griz_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Meridian, ID USA
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for that kind of money, it would be tough to beat that Onkyo HTIB. In fact, it would be a struggle to even match the speakers that come with the Onkyo HT-S7100 for $420.

Do you happen to have a Fry's store nearby? They often have some blow-out pricing on Polk speakers. If you don't mind spending some time and energy, and have a strong bargain-hunter streak in you, you might be able to piece together something slightly better for the price. But, time is money, too.

If it was my $800 to spend, I'd snap up that Onkyo HT-S7100, then see if you can get a good deal on a Harmony 670 remote (with the left-over $50) to tie everything together, then enjoy!

Later, as living space and budget allows, you can start swapping out speakers (start with left/right center 1st, then sub, then finally the surrounds), and keep that receiver for quite some time.

That way, you'll have a good system today, with a path to upgrade.
griz_fan is offline  
post #3 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really appreciate the help. I think I am burned out from so much research and I was getting totally lost with the speaker comparisons! I think I am going to go with the S7100 for the over all value and simplicity. Thanks for the guidance.
ovaldes is offline  
post #4 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
chironerd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recommend.... get two pairs of Athena LS-100:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

Athena LS-C50B:

http://www.amazon.com/Athena-LS-C50B...1745083&sr=8-1

Velodyne VX-10:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-10

Onkyo 606:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Comes to 835.00 + FREE SHIPPING

35 dollars more than your budget...but will blow any HTIB to pieces
chironerd21 is offline  
post #5 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Onkyo system has the following specs:

Front Speakers

Type 2-W2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer x 2
Tweeter 1" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5 1/2" x 14" x 3 11/16"
Weight 4.0 lbs.

Surround Speakers

Type 2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer x 2
Tweeter 3/4" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5 1/2" x 14" x 3 11/16"
Weight 2.9 lbs.

Center Speaker

Type 2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer
Tweeter 1" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 14" x 5 1/2" x 3 11/16"
Weight 4.0 lbs.

Subwoofer

Type Bass Reflex Powered
Woofer 10" Cone
Frequency Response 25 Hz-150 kHz
Max. Power 230 W
Dimensions (W x H x D) 10 13/16" x 19 15/16" x 16 3/16"
Weight 24.7 lbs.

It seems that the frequency response is wider with the Onkyo's. Is that better? Should I be looking for something else, or just trust that the Athena brand will provide a better system?

I am new so any info will help.
ovaldes is offline  
post #6 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
soulsedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone! I'm new here, so please have some pity.
I am building an HTPC (intel/intel micro-atx from renethx's post) I will need speakers and a receiver as well I've read great things about the 606, and i don't yet have need for a 7.1 system. What speakers would you recommend for a 5.1 setup? Thanks in advance.
soulsedition is offline  
post #7 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
chironerd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldes View Post

The Onkyo system has the following specs:

Front Speakers

Type 2-W2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer x 2
Tweeter 1" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5 1/2" x 14" x 3 11/16"
Weight 4.0 lbs.

Surround Speakers

Type 2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer x 2
Tweeter 3/4" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5 1/2" x 14" x 3 11/16"
Weight 2.9 lbs.

Center Speaker

Type 2-Way Acoustic-Suspension
Woofer 3-1/8" cone woofer
Tweeter 1" Balanced-Dome
Frequency Response 60 Hz–50 kHz
Max. Power 110 W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions (W x H x D) 14" x 5 1/2" x 3 11/16"
Weight 4.0 lbs.

Subwoofer

Type Bass Reflex Powered
Woofer 10" Cone
Frequency Response 25 Hz-150 kHz
Max. Power 230 W
Dimensions (W x H x D) 10 13/16" x 19 15/16" x 16 3/16"
Weight 24.7 lbs.

It seems that the frequency response is wider with the Onkyo's. Is that better? Should I be looking for something else, or just trust that the Athena brand will provide a better system?

I am new so any info will help.

You can't compare a HTIB to dedicated speakers. Onkyo speakers are known to not be very good. Plus these Athena speakers used to be retailed a lot more than what they are now. Its just these speakers are going out of stock and they are on massive discount. Athena is a dedicated speaker company, and a sister company of the more $$ Energy brand ... both based and made in Canada. You cant compare a dedicated speaker company with HTIB speakers.... Also you compare speakers by db .... the Onkyo speakers are at 79 db, while the athena are at 87 db. That is a huge difference.. really expensive speakers go up to like 95+ db....

Also you can't compare a Velodyne subwoofer with HTIB subwoofers.....its just doesnt make sense. Velodyne sells subwoofers only..and made a history of selling subwoofers only.

Also ... Maybe look into the Athena tower speakers if you can afford a few hundreds more... Tower speakers are so much more clear and powerful...
chironerd21 is offline  
post #8 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
chironerd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsedition View Post

Hey everyone! I'm new here, so please have some pity.
I am building an HTPC (intel/intel micro-atx from renethx's post) I will need speakers and a receiver as well I've read great things about the 606, and i don't yet have need for a 7.1 system. What speakers would you recommend for a 5.1 setup? Thanks in advance.

What your budget?
chironerd21 is offline  
post #9 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1 for the Athenas,Vx10 and 606......or vsx 1018....had to throw that in there.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #10 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Type Bass Reflex Powered
Woofer 10" Cone
Frequency Response 25 Hz-150 kHz

You had a typo there. the sub only goes up to 150hz, not 150khz.

20khz is really the limit of human hearing so those Onkyo satellites don't buy you anything by stating they go to 50khz. Besides they lied anyway. And like Chironerd21 pointed out, the Onkyos are very inefficient. They Athenas will sound better and use less power to do it. I have Athena bookshelfs and the Onkyos aren't close.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #11 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you guys very much, this is extremely helpfull.

Any thoughts on the infinity TSS-450 and TSS-500 speaker surround systems?
ovaldes is offline  
post #12 of 127 Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
chironerd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldes View Post

Thank you guys very much, this is extremely helpfull.

Any thoughts on the infinity TSS-450 and TSS-500 speaker surround systems?

Infinity are great speakers.... but not these little plastic things....

I own a full set of Infinity Primus... amazing value ... awesome sound....

But you are comparing ... little plastic HTIB sets ... to a full Athena + Velodyne setup... its not going to be comparable...

Sorry
chironerd21 is offline  
post #13 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Newbie
 
soulsedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the looks of it, i might be going with the athena/velodyne set-up. It's in my budget and seems pretty reasonable. My only question is this: How will i hook up a ps3, HTIB, and Samsung ToC 46' to all of this in order to get sound through all of them? It's a horribly easy question, i know. But as of right now, i'm stuck in the sandbox and don't have the bandwidth to download manuals. This is my first home theater as well.
soulsedition is offline  
post #14 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
chironerd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsedition View Post

From the looks of it, i might be going with the athena/velodyne set-up. It's in my budget and seems pretty reasonable. My only question is this: How will i hook up a ps3, HTIB, and Samsung ToC 46' to all of this in order to get sound through all of them? It's a horribly easy question, i know. But as of right now, i'm stuck in the sandbox and don't have the bandwidth to download manuals. This is my first home theater as well.

PS3 w/ HDMI into Onkyo 606 ... HDMI from Onkyo 606 to TV

Speaker wires connected into the Onkyo 606

On the Onkyo 606 select the HDMI which the PS3 is connected to... and on the TV select the HDMI which the Onkyo 606 is selected to...

Run the Audussey on the Onkyo 606 ....

Turn on your PS3..... and enjoy
chironerd21 is offline  
post #15 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you guys think about the Polk R50 front drivers below to start with? If this would be a good start should I look for a good center channel next, or sub?

Mid/Woofer 2 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Dynamic Balance Polymer/mineral composite cones, shielded
Tweeter 1 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Dynamic Balance silk/polymer composite dome, shielded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz - 24kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 50Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 20kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 150 w/channel
Efficiency 90 dB
Inputs 5-way binding posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimensions
Cabinet Size 36-3/4" H x 7-3/4" W x 11-7/8" D
(93.34cm H x 19.68cm W x 30.16cm D)
Enclosure Type Vented
ovaldes is offline  
post #16 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After delivery these are less then $200 from frys
ovaldes is offline  
post #17 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Member
 
80sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chironerd21 View Post

I recommend.... get two pairs of Athena LS-100:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

Athena LS-C50B:

http://www.amazon.com/Athena-LS-C50B...1745083&sr=8-1

Velodyne VX-10:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-10

Onkyo 606:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Comes to 835.00 + FREE SHIPPING

35 dollars more than your budget...but will blow any HTIB to pieces

Can these Athenas be wall mounted? I didn't see any bracket holes on the back.

Thanks.
80sailor is offline  
post #18 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ovaldes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you guys think about these two options:

I am trying to pair a 5.1 system for an Onkyo SR606 receiver. My MAX budget for this entire system is $850 with approximately $400 for the SR606

Option 1:
Velodyne VX-10 - $169.99 Vanns
Polk RM10 Theatre System – 4 Satalites, 1 Center Channel - $199.99 J&R
Sensitivity – 89db
Freq resp – 30hz – 24Khz

Total - $370

Velodyne VX-10 - $169.99 Vanns
Option 2:
Athena LS-C50B Center Channel - $79.99 Vanns
Athena LS-100 (4) Satalites - $199.98 audioadvisor
Sensitivity – 87db
Freq Resp – 55hz – 20Khz

Total $450
ovaldes is offline  
post #19 of 127 Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With the LSC-100 no longer available, i would suggest the infinity Beta C250 center as a better match than the 50b. Dialogue will suffer during quiet listening. As for your question-option 2.....most definitely.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #20 of 127 Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
aphex187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the Polk RM85 setup to go with my Onkyo 606 and sounds terrific.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
aphex187 is offline  
post #21 of 127 Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Member
 
mkreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chironerd21 View Post

I recommend.... get two pairs of Athena LS-100:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

Athena LS-C50B:

http://www.amazon.com/Athena-LS-C50B...1745083&sr=8-1

Velodyne VX-10:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-10

Onkyo 606:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

but will blow any HTIB to pieces


How do you think this would compare to the Polk RM6880? The RM6880 is about $500 new, $400 refurbished.
mkreef is offline  
post #22 of 127 Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mayhem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Athena system would shame it considerably.
mayhem13 is offline  
post #23 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Ted the Penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chironerd21 View Post

Also you can't compare a Velodyne subwoofer with HTIB subwoofers.....its just doesnt make sense. Velodyne sells subwoofers only..and made a history of selling subwoofers only.

Just for nitpicky fun.. you're wrong about Velodyne, they make LIDAR too
http://www.velodyne.com/lidar/
lots of the DARPA Grand/Urban Challenge teams use them.


The rest of this seems like it belongs in the HTIB alternatives thread... which should truly be a subforum.
Ted the Penguin is offline  
post #24 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkreef View Post

How do you think this would compare to the Polk RM6880? The RM6880 is about $500 new, $400 refurbished.

I hope you pulled the trigger on the Athena setup already because LS-100s are now gone at Audio Advisor.

It would blow away the RM6880.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #25 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Member
 
asalerno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

Im in the exact same boat, I have decided on the sr606 receiver, and am looking for speakers in the same budget -

As far as those athena's - do they go in and out of stock often, or are they gone forever now? I'm not familiar with audioadvisor.

If anyone would to be so kind as to answer a few questions in regard to some other options:

are the primus 152 held in as high regard as the 150's?

How would the HSU VT-12 compare to other options? Space isnt really not a big factor for me... so I could do bookshelf or floorstanding, but im sure my girlfriend would enjoy the size of the vt-12's
asalerno is offline  
post #26 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jakeman02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asalerno View Post

Hello everyone,

Im in the exact same boat, I have decided on the sr606 receiver, and am looking for speakers in the same budget -

As far as those athena's - do they go in and out of stock often, or are they gone forever now? I'm not familiar with audioadvisor.

If anyone would to be so kind as to answer a few questions in regard to some other options:

are the primus 152 held in as high regard as the 150's?

How would the HSU VT-12 compare to other options? Space isnt really not a big factor for me... so I could do bookshelf or floorstanding, but im sure my girlfriend would enjoy the size of the vt-12's

Athena was bought out by Klipsch and from what I've been able to gather they aren't going to continue the Athena line. That could change but for now it's what's on the shelf. When they are gone, that's it.

I have dealt with Audioadvisor many times and would recommend them.

The Infinity Primus line is a great value and a quality choice at the price. I personally prefer Athena as I have them on both my systems but either way you go, you're getting a good speaker at the price.

The HSU VT-12 is a great package for it's size. If you can go bigger then do it. Those late night infomercials for Extenze don't lie, SIZE MATTERS. Especially when it comes to speakers. If you want to keep it Smallish on a budget get a decent size bookshelf from Athena, Polk or the Primus line, don't go with the satellite size like the VT-12s unless you have to unless it's for a bedroom type system.
Jakeman02 is offline  
post #27 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I'm pretty sure the Athenas are gone as they were on clearance and being discontinued.

The Infinity Primus is a good choice too. Also look at the Beta 20's, which are only $20 more than the Primus.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Either one of those bookshelves would blow away the HSU speakers. The HSU sub is very good though.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #28 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Member
 
asalerno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice, I think you are all right about the bigger being better, just had to hear it -

so far im between the primus, athena (if i ever find them?) or possibly the floor standing polks that tend to go on sale quite a bit at frys - r50s i think?

which sub do people like better - hsu stf-1, stf-2, or that vx-10?

(and should i just get a matching center to the speakers? I would assume that would provide the best sound)
asalerno is offline  
post #29 of 127 Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jakeman02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asalerno View Post

Thanks for the advice, I think you are all right about the bigger being better, just had to hear it -

so far im between the primus, athena (if i ever find them?) or possibly the floor standing polks that tend to go on sale quite a bit at frys - r50s i think?

which sub do people like better - hsu stf-1, stf-2, or that vx-10?

(and should i just get a matching center to the speakers? I would assume that would provide the best sound)

The STF-2 is definitely a big step up and the choice of those three.
The STF-1 is a better performer than the VX-10 but imo the price difference is to wide for the difference. You could have 2 VX10s shipped for the price of 1 STF-1. If you're on a budget and can't step up to the STF-2 I'd go for the VX10 and put the price difference $150ish in savings toward a future upgrade. Or go for the ED A2-300 which is $315 shipped. Some people are put off by the rugged finish ED uses but they are a great value sub, especially for HT. For music HSU will have the edge, very clean and musical subs for HT the ED will go deeper in the frequency range with more output.

Yes you'll want to match your center with at least your 2 fronts and preferably the rears also but that doesn't matter as much as the fronts.
Jakeman02 is offline  
post #30 of 127 Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Member
 
asalerno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The more research I've been doing, the more I'm liking floor standing for the fronts - How do you think Bic HT-75's or Polk rti8's would be for the fronts (with a matching center, respectively?) in comparison to the other choices?

I feel better about the bics or polks verses the beta 20's or athena's because I can start with just 2.1, then add on later (and the beta's and athena's are discontinued)
asalerno is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off