Bose Lifestyle Series vs Similar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am looking to spend roughly $3k (at the high end) for a new system. I was at the mall the other day and was bored so I stopped in the Bose store and had a listen in their little theater setup where they showed you the lifestyle series speakers (jewel speakers). I must say, for all the bashing of Bose on this forum they weren't that bad and sounded nice....until I heard the price tag. I've heard many systems at my friends places that sounded much worse. They also have a very nice looking system. Also, it is clear the jewel speakers are not paper coned and not plastic so I'm not sure why I read that a lot.

In any event, I am not convinced I couldn't get as good of a system for less. I was wondering if there are some good speakers for around the same size that would be cheaper. I like the Onkyo receivers and I've read a few threads about the Mirage V2's but am unsure since I haven't heard them myself.

Basics:

This is for my living room, I want the speakers to be mounted on the wall, it is a townhouse where first floor is very open with kitchen to the dinning room to the living room (all open). The living room space i about 20wx15l (length from TV to back wall and width from side wall to dining room open area).

Any suggestions for speakers and sub?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

There are a lot of things that come into play here. First I'll say that I don't think Bose sounds bad, but I definitely don't think it's worth the money they charge. Secondly, remember that their little demo room is specifically engineered to make their products sound good. It may be an entirely different story in your house.

You would do well with an Onkyo receiver. Remember also that a lot of Bose's "high-end" stuff still will not give you lossless audio, so if you watch blu-ray, you'll be missing out.

As far as tiny speakers go take a look at orbaudio.com. I haven't heard them myself, but I've read a lot of good about them. Let me point out, though, that these tiny speakers can sound really good, but it will be a lot easier (and maybe cheaper) to get good full sound to fill up your room from more conventional speakers that are a bit bigger.

As for subwoofers, take a look at subs at the following sites.

http://********** (MFW-15)
http://www.hsuresearch.com/
http://www.svsound.com/index.cfm
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/Products.html

ANY subwoofer from any of these manufacturers will blow away a Bose "sub."

Steve

post #3 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Those orbs look nice and I think I'll be getting those

I forgot one other question... I am getting FIOS and I read a few places that you can't run the FIOS box into the Onkyo without the Onkyo being turned on? Is this true and does this cause any issues?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwalke2 View Post

...you can't run the FIOS box into the Onkyo without the Onkyo being turned on?

If by run the box into the Onkyo, I assume you mean use the Fios box, as in you're watching TV? If so then I think that's correct. I have an Onkyo 605 receiver myself, but I never tried watching TV or anything without it being on.

Steve

post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, ok, this is what I thought...not a big deal then

Thanks fireman, I looked into those speakers a lot more and they seem perfect. They good rave reviews too.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm happy if I was able to help. Let us know when you get your new setup up and running. We will want to hear what you think of it.

Steve

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page