Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 791 Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_lew View Post

I just bought a set from Costco that was bundled with the Sony S550 Blu Ray player and S2300 system. I set up my living room and the blu ray player is now connected with HDMI (Blu ray hdmi to receiver, another HDMI connected from receiver to the Pana 32 inch LCD 720p tv). I want to make sure the S2300 is outputting the best sound when I am watching blu ray movies. I just did the auto calibration with the mic that came with it. I would like to know what are the best settings to get the best audio for the blu ray movies. I am not familiar with bitstream and the other settings everyone talked about here. I basically just plugged everything in and did the auto calibration and that was it. I watched The Dark Knight last night with the received volume at +23 and it sounded awesome. Bass was amazing (I think the auto calibration set it at +7 for the sub). I did notice that the dialogue was not as loud as I wanted to be. I believe this was coming from the center speaker. Can someone please help me figure out how to set my system so that I can receive the best audio? I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

You can adjust the center channel level to help improve dialogue, i have mine set at +2. Btw your +7 setting for the sub is kinda high imo, i have my sub set at +2 and it thumps real good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 791 Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viziodood View Post

You can adjust the center channel level to help improve dialogue, i have mine set at +2. Btw your +7 setting for the sub is kinda high imo, i have my sub set at +2 and it thumps real good.

Thanks for the reply. I thought everyone ignored my post. Lol... The auto calibration set my center channel level at +2 and it was not as loud for the dialogue. Now I have it set at +9 and it sounds way better. Maybe it was just the Dark Knight that had quiet dialogue. I will try setting my sub level lower. It's been thumping the ceiling (upstairs was complaining). Thanks again!
post #183 of 791 Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm thinking about getting this system to get the HD lossles audio codecs with my blu ray player, but I want to know if people here think it would be worth it if it's replacing an old Sony HT-DDW660 5.1 HTIB.

Does that upgrade sound good? Would I hear a really nice improvement in sound?
post #184 of 791 Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Hey folks,
I am buying the HT-SS2300 as part of the BB deal with the Sony TV. I forgot to check a couple of things on the receiver:

- Does this support Speaker A,B and A+B?
- Does this need banana plugs since I have better speakers at home which have the wire jack thingy.

Thank you
post #185 of 791 Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^ RTFM. You can download it here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HTSS2300_EN.pdf
post #186 of 791 Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 PM

I know this thread is for the Sony HTIB and I have one and love it but I have a question about Two HDTV's

I just got a Samsung LN46A500 46" for 999.99
What do you think of this TV?
I was looking at the Vizio SV420XVt (42" with 120HZ refresh rate.) for 999.99
Do you think the Vizio would be a better choice? It does have 120hz refresh rate.
Also is there anyone that would suggest maybe another tv in the 1000 price range that would maybe be better than both of these tvs and it doesnt matter if its a 40 i just dont want to go smaller than 40.
I noticed with the 46 samsung that, I just got, it tend to look a little motion blurry when playing games that are native 720p but the 1080p native games like MGS4 looks awesome. I also think native 720p games look much better on smaller tvs.
anyhow, please someone help me out.
post #187 of 791 Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_lew View Post

Thanks for the reply. I thought everyone ignored my post. Lol... The auto calibration set my center channel level at +2 and it was not as loud for the dialogue. Now I have it set at +9 and it sounds way better. Maybe it was just the Dark Knight that had quiet dialogue. I will try setting my sub level lower. It's been thumping the ceiling (upstairs was complaining). Thanks again!

I did the auto calibration when i first got the system just to see how it does. I just went back and tuned everything to my liking. I have my center channel on +4. There has been a lot of talk about the dialog in the dark knight blu-ray being too low. I didn't think it was too bad, i haven't watched it all but i had it cranked up to about 25 during one of the action scenes. It's pretty bass heavy though. i had to crank down the SW level a little.
post #188 of 791 Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 PM

I've been following this thread and hope someone can help me as I am relatively new to all this. I just purchased a Sony BDP-BX1 Blu-Ray player and the HT-SS2300 as a home theater system. My understanding is the BX1 is identical to the Sony BDP-S350 player, but I have seen conflicting statements as to whether the BX-1 can actually decode True HD. I have a 10 year old Sony 5.1 receiver, and my concern is I wont hear a dramatic improvement in audio with the SS2300, or that I won't be able to take advantage of the HD audio formats on Blu-Ray. I have not setup the system yet as it is a Xmas gift, any opinions if this was worth the upgrade?
post #189 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 AM

Thanks samsurd2....
post #190 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi guys, I'm really a newbie and still confused after reading this thread (sorry). I have the HT-SF2300, PS3, HD Cable Box, and Sony 52 inch LCD. Everything is hooked up using HDMI's. I'm also not understanding why my sound is screwy.

With the receiver turned on, set to "AFD Auto" watching an HD broadcast I get all the speakers
on the front panel to light up and it displays Dolby Digital. Sound is great as well.

Here is the problem, watching a DVD or BD in my PS3 with the receiver still set to "AFD Auto" I have yet to get any surround sound. The display on the receiver only shows the left and right fronts with the subwoofer. The center and rear surrounds disappear. If I select PL II Movie I get surround sound but the sound is somewhat muted and bass is weak. The PS3 is set for Linear PCM, is this the problem? I've tried changing the receiver from "tv/amp" to just "amp" and that made no difference. What am I missing?
PLEASE HELP lol...
thanks, Mike
post #191 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnminty View Post

Hi guys, I'm really a newbie and still confused after reading this thread (sorry). I have the HT-SF2300, PS3, HD Cable Box, and Sony 52 inch LCD. Everything is hooked up using HDMI's. I'm also not understanding why my sound is screwy.

With the receiver turned on, set to "AFD Auto" watching an HD broadcast I get all the speakers
on the front panel to light up and it displays Dolby Digital. Sound is great as well.

Here is the problem, watching a DVD or BD in my PS3 with the receiver still set to "AFD Auto" I have yet to get any surround sound. The display on the receiver only shows the left and right fronts with the subwoofer. The center and rear surrounds disappear. If I select PL II Movie I get surround sound but the sound is somewhat muted and bass is weak. The PS3 is set for Linear PCM, is this the problem? I've tried changing the receiver from "tv/amp" to just "amp" and that made no difference. What am I missing?
PLEASE HELP lol...
thanks, Mike

With LPCM selected on my PS3, I cannot even change the options for sound as it says 'not used'. If you are able to change these settings, on your remote go to Movie-->Cin B. That tends to give the best surround for pretty much everything.

post #192 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnminty View Post

PLEASE HELP lol...
thanks, Mike

That happens to me before with HT-7200DH until I found what was wrong. If you set up the audio setting in PS3 with "TV+AMP" it will output 2.1 and nothing more. So what I would try is to change SS2300 to just "AMP" and in PS3 select automatic for hdmi in audio output setting and you should have all the 5.1 and 7.1 selected. Hope this helps cuz this similar situation happened to me before and this is how I solved it. Thanks
post #193 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

I am having some similar problems as stated above. I have this receiver hooked up to ps3 and tv via hdmi. When watching the Dark Night everything was fine but the dialogue was somewhat low, also depending on the scene it would go from widescreen format to full screen which was pretty annoying. I dont know if it's something I am doing wrong or if its just the way they recorded the movie. I am using linear pcm and got true hd output. My other concern is how do I listen to mp3's (loaded on my external hard drive and hooked up to the ps3) in surround sound. All I get is the 2 front channels and sub. I tried using a regular audio cd and at first it did the same thing, but then i changed the settings on the ps3 for the lowest hz 2.1 and 5.1 linear settings and it worked because this allowed me to use the surround function on the receiver to change the sound effects. Normally during video games or watching blu rays these options display as "not used." I am also having a hard time getting guitar hero III to play in surround sound as well, but I tried CoD WaW and it works fine. Just wondering if anyone knows whats going on here. Help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #194 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_town_boi View Post

I am having some similar problems as stated above. I have this receiver hooked up to ps3 and tv via hdmi. When watching the Dark Night everything was fine but the dialogue was somewhat low, also depending on the scene it would go from widescreen format to full screen which was pretty annoying. I dont know if it's something I am doing wrong or if its just the way they recorded the movie. I am using linear pcm and got true hd output. My other concern is how do I listen to mp3's (loaded on my external hard drive and hooked up to the ps3) in surround sound. All I get is the 2 front channels and sub. I tried using a regular audio cd and at first it did the same thing, but then i changed the settings on the ps3 for the lowest hz 2.1 and 5.1 linear settings and it worked because this allowed me to use the surround function on the receiver to change the sound effects. Normally during video games or watching blu rays these options display as "not used." I am also having a hard time getting guitar hero III to play in surround sound as well, but I tried CoD WaW and it works fine. Just wondering if anyone knows whats going on here. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't seen it but I hear that the Dark Night has some IMAX 16:9 scenes mixed in w/ the regular film, and that would what's causing the format change. As far as the low dialouge, turn up the center speaker like suggested earlier and that will help. I can't comment on mp3 as I've never used the feature. The 'not used' is normal...for True HD on the PS3 as it decodes the channels and sends the signals as decoded to the receiver and that cannot be changed.

post #195 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Maybe you can try turning off the dynamic range in PS3. I turned that off and the dialogue was much louder than before.
post #196 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Figured out my problem with the mp3s. It seems the only way to get output from all channels is to deselect all audio options from the ps3 menu leaving only the default (grayed out) options and using multi st sound effect on the receiver as this is the only one that sounds good. If anyone else had this problem and found a different solution please let me know
post #197 of 791 Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogonzz View Post

Have any of you with this system tried using other speakers, besides the ones included in the set?

I have some sony tower speakers I was thinking of trying...perhaps the bigger center channel as well...

considering my old receiver is a 500 watt, I think this 1000 watt receiver should handle them fine...

I just purchased the HT-SS2300 as part of the combo kit from Costco. I used the speakers I already had from my DAV-C990 set. My old HTIB unit fried, so I had to replace it, but I liked the old speakers as they aesthetically are higher quality than the ones included in the HT-SS2300 set. All I had to do is spice the new connectors on to the old speaker wires. The only "issue" I found is that after performing auto-calibration, the subwoofer was detected as "phase out". The manual says this means the polarity may be reversed, but the sub seems to be performing fine.
post #198 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epounds View Post

I just purchased the HT-SS2300 as part of the combo kit from Costco. I used the speakers I already had from my DAV-C990 set. My old HTIB unit fried, so I had to replace it, but I liked the old speakers as they aesthetically are higher quality than the ones included in the HT-SS2300 set. All I had to do is spice the new connectors on to the old speaker wires. The only "issue" I found is that after performing auto-calibration, the subwoofer was detected as "phase out". The manual says this means the polarity may be reversed, but the sub seems to be performing fine.

Did you notice a difference in sound quality from the stock speakers to the others you used?
post #199 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 AM

I finally picked up the SS2300 this past weekend, and I must admit I was blown away by the sound quality. I did not expect it to be as good as it is.
It is a considerable improvement over my previous system.

And with blu-rays, the difference is night and day. It literaly felt like you were almost at the movie theatre ;-)

I didn't find the auto-calibration mic to be too useful, the settings it ended up with were a bit off to my liking; so just ended up adjusting them manualy.

All in all, great system. Those of you contemplating purchasing it will not be dissapointed.
post #200 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's the way The Dark Knight was recorded. the "full screen" scenes were filmed with an IMAX camera. So it'll go from 1:78:1 aspect ratio to 2:40:1. I didn't mind it. I thought the imax scenes were great!

Make Sure you have DRC set to OFF. This will affect the dialogue and make it sound low if its on.
post #201 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Did you notice a difference in sound quality from the stock speakers to the others you used?

I never hooked up the speakers that came with the SS2300. I can only compare how the speakers sound with the old 990 unit hooked up versus the new SS2300, and the new unit sounds great. The only thing I'm thinking about playing with is swapping out the old sub with the new one.

On a different topic, the one think frustrating about the SS2300 is the lack of a headphone jack. I'm surprised they would engineer a special jack for the auto calibration mic, but would leave off a way to plug in headphones.
post #202 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I finally picked up the SS2300 this past weekend, and I must admit I was blown away by the sound quality. I did not expect it to be as good as it is.
It is a considerable improvement over my previous system.

And with blu-rays, the difference is night and day. It literaly felt like you were almost at the movie theatre ;-)

I didn't find the auto-calibration mic to be too useful, the settings it ended up with were a bit off to my liking; so just ended up adjusting them manualy.

All in all, great system. Those of you contemplating purchasing it will not be dissapointed.

I agree 100% with you, it's a great compact system. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and i'm very happy with my SS2300, some of my friends were kinda turned off by the size of the center speaker but when i played a blue ray they were impressed.
post #203 of 791 Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLV975 View Post

I read earlier in the thread that you where having problems with the hdmi output on the ss2300 when using your ps3.
I had the same problem that's why my screen was going Red and changing all sorts of weird colors like the pics you posted earlier on. I took the unit back to bestbuy and got a new one and same thing happened.
I finally took it back to BestBuy and we swaped out there display receiver with mine to test it out and it worked fine in the store so at this point i was like WHAT?!!!
Long story short it ended up being that my cable was a cheap hdmi cable. I bought the rocketfish HDMI cables and they work great no more color problems with the weird color stuff anymore. You may want to try picking up a nice cable for your PS3 to the Receiver and one from the Receiver to the TV. It may fix your issue. Oh and one more question about the audio on the PS3.
When I set it to Linear PCM will it display dolby,trueHD, or something like that on my receiver?
Thanks for all your help on the audio side man.
Good luck with your video problem.

P.S. The SS2300 is a great system and sounds awesome. At a price you cant beat for what your getting. I got lucky however because I got it for 199.99 on Black Friday.

Just out of curiosity, I borrowed a friends Rocketfish cables and it did not help with the color thing. What are your video settings on the PS3? I think I've tried every combination but perhaps I missed one?

post #204 of 791 Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM

I got the HT-SS2300 a few days ago with a 46 in Sony Bravia and a Sony bluray player (the package at CC)... anyway I have my cable box and PS3 hooked up via HDMI to the receiver (the 360 I have an optical cable- the 360 is hooked up to the TV via component cables)... when I switch from SAT to BD (my PS3) I noticed while playing a game that the screen would go blank for a second or two- this happened in the middle of a game- not just in the beginning- I would be in the middle of a race and the screen would go blank (no sound either) then everything would be fine after a second or two of blackness...
is there something I should do about this... when I switch back to SAT the screen my go blank for a second in the beginning then it is fine- never went blank in the middle of a show...
I did not read all the posting in this thread- I would appreciate any help...
post #205 of 791 Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Can someone explain to me why is it when i play guitar hero world tour on my xbox 360 the sound does not come out through all of the speakers?.....sound only comes out of the front and sub. Only with that game though. I play other games, such as gow2 and prince of persia and it sounds great. I do notice that when i first turn it on it is on dolby digital surround sound 5.1 for the game cinamatic intro, but as soon as i start playing a song it auomatically switches to the front speakers only. The game box says that it is dolby digital. Any answers would be apreciated. Thanks
post #206 of 791 Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 AM

I believe this is normal; when I switch inputs I get a blue screen for a split second before the signal from that device goes through.
post #207 of 791 Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 AM

Last night I decided to switch out my front speakers with my older sony 30" tower speakers. I did not notice a big difference in sound quality.

Low notes were more noticable, and in some action scenes it felt as if the same signal sent to the sub was being sent to front speakers...very boomy.
need to do more testing with different movies, sound fields, volumes.

I'm sure some of you audiophiles out there could notice the difference easily, but Im not as skilled ;-)

This just further amazes me; the sound quality of the original speakers. They don't look like much, but they're pretty decent
post #208 of 791 Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

I got the HT-SS2300 a few days ago with a 46 in Sony Bravia and a Sony bluray player (the package at CC)... anyway I have my cable box and PS3 hooked up via HDMI to the receiver (the 360 I have an optical cable- the 360 is hooked up to the TV via component cables)... when I switch from SAT to BD (my PS3) I noticed while playing a game that the screen would go blank for a second or two- this happened in the middle of a game- not just in the beginning- I would be in the middle of a race and the screen would go blank (no sound either) then everything would be fine after a second or two of blackness...
is there something I should do about this... when I switch back to SAT the screen my go blank for a second in the beginning then it is fine- never went blank in the middle of a show...
I did not read all the posting in this thread- I would appreciate any help...

Anyone else experience a complete dropout of signal while playing a PS3 game? It only happens a few times and only for a second or two, but it is enough to drive me crazy- I have new 1.3 HDMI cables???
post #209 of 791 Old 12-18-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

Anyone else experience a complete dropout of signal while playing a PS3 game? It only happens a few times and only for a second or two, but it is enough to drive me crazy- I have new 1.3 HDMI cables???

This actually happens to me once and a while when watching blu-rays. Not sure about games, since i haven't really played enough for this to happen. It usually happens within the first 10 minutes of starting a movie. It'll lose picture and sound for about a 2 seconds, then it comes back, its almost like i switched to another input. I've mentioned this before in my other posts. Is this what's happening?

This hasn't happened in awhile...but it has happened several times before and only with the PS3. Does it happen often on your system? What kind of HDMI cables are you using?
post #210 of 791 Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano617 View Post

This actually happens to me once and a while when watching blu-rays. Not sure about games, since i haven't really played enough for this to happen. It usually happens within the first 10 minutes of starting a movie. It'll lose picture and sound for about a 2 seconds, then it comes back, its almost like i switched to another input. I've mentioned this before in my other posts. Is this what's happening?

This hasn't happened in awhile...but it has happened several times before and only with the PS3. Does it happen often on your system? What kind of HDMI cables are you using?

I just got done watching The Dark Knight- no problems- it does not blank out during Blurays (at least so far, but it seems random while playing games, it did dropout while I was playing Wipeout HD... it drives me crazy because it seems so random and it is for a split second of total dropout and then everything is fine... I use HDMI 1.3 cables I bought from monoprice.com...
Reply Home Theater In A Box