Do Low-end HTIBs always have digital audio delay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-16-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3 year old HTIB, and Insignia HTIB102 (info, manual). About $200 maybe 3 years ago. Not quite the lowest end: is 6.1 and also has an extra output for an active subwoofer (which I have hooked up). I used it for a while, then for a year or so have not used it cause I could not (with limited time and patience) hook it up to my then DVR from Time Warner.

I switched to Dishnet Thursday, and got their highest-end DVR the VIP-722 (info, pix, manual).

At first, to get things going, I ran both the component video and RCA analog from the DVR to the TV directly. So far, so good.

So I decided to dust off my HTIB receiver, not to use its DVD any more, just its speakers. So then I ran the toslink optical output of the DVR thru a converter to convert the toslink digital audio into coax digital audio (the only kind of digital audio input in the HTIB; I note I had to adjust a default setting of the HTIB listening for analog audio). (The video was still directly from the DVR to the TV, since this HTIB has no component video inputs and is hence no kind of general-purpose receiver). Sadly, the audio trailed the video by about a half a second. This was quite distracting when watching people speak.

I switched from toslink to digital coax directly (no toalink-->coax converter) and got the same result.

Then I switched back .... took an RCA L-R audio pair and ran from the analog audio to the HTIB's analog audio input, and changed the default input to analog. It ran fine (obviously not utilizing full 6.1 but hopefully subwoofers), there was either zero delay or at most 0.1 second (I could not tell for sure, it was probably zero).

I note that I have a new Sony Blu-Ray player ready to set up, and could to test it. But, this is an insanely busy week for me, so unless there is concrete reason to believe it may behave any differently than the new Dishnet DVR, I am hesitant to do this right now. (THe observant reader may wonder how I was going to get the second audio feed into the HTIB: I found a toslink 3:1 manual switch for about $15 (you can get IR-controlled ones for $110 or something like that).

So is there any solutions here? I did not see anything in my HTIB manual that indicated I could remove audio delay. And, since video does not go thru it (only out of it), I can't have it adjust a delay on the video coming thru it to match the audio. I do note 3 years ago when we used it with standard def DVDs the sound and video were in great synch.

Is this somehow the sorry state of trying to use an external source for digital video then run the digital audio thru an HTIB: the digital audio will lag for some inexplicable reason (why even have external digitial audio inputs in an HTIB if you are going to screw it up that way?).

If there is no way to adjust my HTIB, then I would love suggestions for a lower-end receiver. I still want to use my existing speakers (they are fine for my needs), but then be able to plug in 2 HDMI input streams (OK, or 2 Component video inputs and 1 component video output plus 2 toslink/coax digital audio inputs and just about any kind of output (I have an older HDTV).

Thanks in advance for any help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW, the TV if it matters is a Mitsubishi WS-48313, 2003 vintage.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page