what would be good speakers to purchase for Onkyo TX-NR906 or TX-SR876? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first off I admit I dont know much about good speakers? I dont want to break the bank, but I am looking for good sounding 7.1 speakers for under $500, $300 would be even better :-) I was looking at just getting the Onkyo SKSHT750 but wanted to get soem feedback from you guys first.. I dotn care about size of speakers, just looking for speakers that do everything right and make you feel like your in the movie theatere, this is for a room that is 10x12 feet
thanks in advance for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Damn, that's a hefty receiver to put with a $300-$500 speaker budget. You haven't bought the thing yet, have you? I'd reroute some of the receiver funds to the speakers and get something like a TX-SR606 (or 706 if you need the preouts) and get a couple hundred more for nicer speakers (that'll have a bigger impact on your sound than an uber-receiver will.) Don't get me wrong, the 906 and 876 are nice, nice receivers, but it would make sense if your speaker budget reflected their pricepoints.

If the receiver is set in stone, though, look at The Speaker Company for some packages in that range. I'm kind of cool on Onkyo's own speakers, as they're a receiver maker that only makes speakers for their HTIB as a side project. Not exactly devoting a huge effort to making quality products in that area, if you know what I mean. Might also look at HSU or scour the web for some Polk or Klipsch packages.

Although I highly recommend reevaluating the receiver choice if you want that "movie theater" sound.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

ok so i ended up spending the money on nice speakers
I ended up getting this for my speaker setup

front and surrounds(i listen to lots of music to)
aperionaudio Intimus-5T-Tower-Speaker

center
aperionaudio Intimus-5C-Center-Channel-Speaker

subwoofer
aperionaudio Bravus-10D-Dual-10-Powered-Subwoofer

what reciever would you recommend for movie sound then?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 477
What's your price range for a receiver?

Afro GT
post #5 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

well i paid $1499 for the Onkyo TX-NR906 so anything at that price or less
post #6 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Onkyo TX-SR606 or 706. Or a Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or Harmon Kardon equivalent (look for ones with similar features/price.) All those companies make good receivers.

706 would work with an external amp if you ever go that route. Might give a little extra umph. 606 doesn't have the preouts, but does have HDMI audio to work with Blu-Ray players, etc.

Anything higher than that won't really get that much better sound. Might have a tad more power, but don't expect a day and night difference. Get a better receiver only if you plan to use the features, otherwise, the lower receivers will work fine.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Onkyo TX-SR606 or 706. Or a Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, or Harmon Kardon equivalent (look for ones with similar features/price.) All those companies make good receivers.

706 would work with an external amp if you ever go that route. Might give a little extra umph. 606 doesn't have the preouts, but does have HDMI audio to work with Blu-Ray players, etc.

Anything higher than that won't really get that much better sound. Might have a tad more power, but don't expect a day and night difference. Get a better receiver only if you plan to use the features, otherwise, the lower receivers will work fine.

I would definitely go with the onkyo 706 or something more powerful for those speakers. the towers say the have an 87db efficiency and are 6ohm speakers. More power will be needed to drive them loud compared to say speakers that are 90db at 8ohms.

Those look like awesome well made speakers.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

how would you configure Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver to go well with those speakers? i dont know the first thing about it :-(
post #9 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindustry View Post

how would you configure Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver to go well with those speakers? i dont know the first thing about it :-(

Oh yes, thats Onkyo's flagship model. That receiver will last you a very long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page