Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
after reading these threads, need help picking

onkyo ht-s6100 $500 or

onkyo tr-rs606 referb $240
energy c-c50 $113.99
energy c-50 $69.99 pair
energy esw8 $99.00 or esw 10 $185

i need a receiver that has 3 or 4 HDMI inputs, 1 out for video and audio. it will be connected to a comcast HD box, 1080p lcd and ps3, need only 5.1.

also i noticed that the energy sub doesnt use a rca cable for connection to the receiver. how will it connect can i use a receiver w a pre amp out?
is there also another receiver a should consider?

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Separate.

First off, you can still get the C-C50 from wwstereo for $80. I would take the following for $320 shipped if you want to save money:
2 pair from the Audio Advisor seller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
One of these: http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/
and one of these from the Audio Advisor seller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

They will be exponentially better than the speakers included with the 6100. You better grab these quick as availability has been getting less and less. You'll have a hard time putting together inexpensive 5.1 speakers that are this good after they sell out.

I wouldn't take the ESW-10 for $200. If you're going to spend more on the sub then look at the PA-120 on eBay for $230 shipped, it's probably a good upgrade.

You connect the ESW-8 with an RCA cable from the sub pre-out.

post #3 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks
what are your feelings about the receiver?
post #4 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

$250 for an Onkyo 606 seems like a good price to me. Anything else around $250 will have it's own compromise. The only glaring thing missing is pre-outs for an external amp should you want more power in the future - that may or may not be important to you. On the other hand, it does have a lot of HDMI inputs and some very good features.

I don't have an Onkyo so I can't comment too much. All I can really say is make sure it has enough connections for the devices you have/will have in the future.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrow7 View Post

after reading these threads, need help picking

onkyo ht-s6100 $500 or

onkyo tr-rs606 referb $240
energy c-c50 $113.99
energy c-50 $69.99 pair
energy esw8 $99.00 or esw 10 $185

i need a receiver that has 3 or 4 HDMI inputs, 1 out for video and audio. it will be connected to a comcast HD box, 1080p lcd and ps3, need only 5.1.

also i noticed that the energy sub doesnt use a rca cable for connection to the receiver. how will it can i use a receiver w a pre amp out?

thanks for the help

WHAT YOU HAVE SPEC'D looks good to me but how do you hook a 7-1 reciever up as a 5-1??? I want the 4 hdmi inputs
post #6 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

WHAT YOU HAVE SPEC'D looks good to me but how do you hook a 7-1 reciever up as a 5-1??? I want the 4 hdmi inputs

It's simple, you just hook up 5 speakers and a subwoofer. The receiver has an automatic setup and will detect that only 5 speakers are being used.

Just to make it clear, the receiver comes with a microphone that you plug in and place it in the prime seating position at ear level. It sends a series of tones through the speakers and automatically equalizes each one for presence, loudness, and distance. In other words, the speaker that is further away should be louder and have less delay than the one that is closer.

The extra rear surround speakers that aren't connected won't make any sound so the receiver will "know" that they aren't there. The only effect this has is that the receiver won't give you the option to use settings like Dolby Pro Logic IIx, which turns 2-channel audio into sound you can hear through 7 speakers. It will just give you the equivalent which is Pro Logic II for 5 speakers.
post #7 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
And you can shut off the back surrounds manually if it came to it (like older 7.1 receivers.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

also i noticed that the energy sub doesnt use a rca cable for connection to the receiver. how will it can i use a receiver w a pre amp out?

Sure it does. Here's a large picture of the back of the subwoofer. You connect it to your receiver's "sub out" to the line in/sub in jacks. You can use a single cable or get a Y adapter in order to use both inputs.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/ViewLarg...REAR-Large.jpg

Afro GT
post #9 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=ickysmits;15873892]It's simple, you just hook up 5 speakers and a subwoofer. The receiver has an automatic setup and will detect that only 5 speakers are being used.

QUOTE]

Ok now I am getting the idea. So now I have the wish list as a Onkyo 606 and a couple of Energy C100 for the left and right speakers and I use my infinity for the center chanel. The Onk is 499 at one call and the C100s are 118.99 each at Vann's. Now I need to find speaker stands, sub woofer, rear speakers, stands and flat wire to hook up. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
You can get the 606 for far less than $499. That's list price. Check amazon.com

You can find the answers to all your other questions by reading the last 10-15 pages of this thread. Its been covered multiple times, over and over.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30450&page=233

Afro GT
post #11 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=generallee;15874444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits View Post

It's simple, you just hook up 5 speakers and a subwoofer. The receiver has an automatic setup and will detect that only 5 speakers are being used.

QUOTE]

Ok now I am getting the idea. So now I have the wish list as a Onkyo 606 and a couple of Energy C100 for the left and right speakers and I use my infinity for the center chanel. The Onk is 499 at one call and the C100s are 118.99 each at Vann's. Now I need to find speaker stands, sub woofer, rear speakers, stands and flat wire to hook up. Any suggestions?

Which Infinity center speaker do you have? Is it from the Infinity Primus line?

It’s always best to match the front three speakers at least because different manufacturers have different sound characteristics. Imagine watching a movie and a car goes from the left side of the screen to the right. The audio will match the picture and you’ll hear the sound from the front left – to the center – and then the right front speaker. If the speakers are too different the transition will sound strange, maybe even distracting. [The surround speakers don't matter so much]

Maybe we can help you use that Infinity speaker…

...or use the Energy C-C50. The woofers might be a little bit smaller than the C-100's, but it would be a much better match.
post #12 of 38 Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

any other suggestions for a receiver? the referb onkyo 606 for $250 is sold out.
would like 5.1, 3 or 4 HDMI inputs/1out for video and audio for around $350.
thanks
post #13 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

You really have to jump quickly on those 606 refurbs when they come around.

About the only thing in that price range (that I can think of)that fits your requirements is the Marantz SR4002 or 5002.
Refurb SR4002 - $260+ship: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...urround/1.html
New SR4002 - $300+ship: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...und-NEW/1.html
Refurb SR5002 - $320+ship: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...urround/1.html

Your PS3 can only decode internally the lossless BR audio anyway so you don’t actually need a receiver that can decode TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc… The Marantz can handle the decoded lossless audio sent from the PS3 via LPCM.

I’m not completely sure the difference between the 4002 and 5002 but I think the main thing is that the 5002 can “upconvert” analog connections so you only need to connect one HDMI. You would need to run a separate component cable for analog sources on the 4002. You should double check with owners in the receiver section, however.
post #14 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=ickysmits;15874558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

Which Infinity center speaker do you have? Is it from the Infinity Primus line?

It’s always best to match the front three speakers at least because different manufacturers have different sound characteristics. Imagine watching a movie and a car goes from the left side of the screen to the right. The audio will match the picture and you’ll hear the sound from the front left – to the center – and then the right front speaker. If the speakers are too different the transition will sound strange, maybe even distracting. [The surround speakers don't matter so much]

Maybe we can help you use that Infinity speaker…

...or use the Energy C-C50. The woofers might be a little bit smaller than the C-100's, but it would be a much better match.

Thanks for answering. I don't know about which Infinity I have . It just says Center Channel 002460 on the back and it is 100 watt. I pulled off the grill and it has 3 speakers. It is about a 2001 model and cost then about 200. I looked on line for a Energy CC100 but did not see any deals

I have some Boze bookshelf speakers but they are too big to use as surround. The woofer might be OK for now. My old system was a Pioneer but had no video inputs. I would like to have some nice small speakers that I could have on a small stick stand. Are the little Boze double cubes any good for the surround. I could put mount them over the doorways. Any suggestions?

I also do not find any good places for a refurb 606...any pointers
post #15 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=generallee;15876831]
Quote:

Thanks for answering. I don't know about which Infinity I have . It just says Center Channel 002460 on the back and it is 100 watt. I pulled off the grill and it has 3 speakers. It is about a 2001 model and cost then about 200.

Do any of the pictures below look like the center you have?

ALPHA5 HCS II

CC2

ENTRA CENTER TWO

ALPHA CENTER

DELTA CENTER

HPS CENTER

Infinity BETA C250

Infinity BETA C360

INTERLUDE 25C

INTERMEZZO 3.5C

KAPPA Center

MINUETTE (CENTER)

Primus PC250

PRIMUS C25

PRELUDE MTS CENTER

TSS-CENTER1100
post #16 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yes The CC2 When I looked at the Infinity site I identified it as a CC2
post #17 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

So it’s THIS ONE and it has a control knob in the back to voice match it with other speakers? It would be interesting to hear how well that voice matching feature actually works. Go for the Energy C-100’s then and try your center speaker out with them. If it doesn't work you can (hopefully) find a C-C100 or C-C50 from Energy.
post #18 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So it's THIS ONE and it has a control knob in the back to voice match it with other speakers? It would be interesting to hear how well that voice matching feature actually works. Go for the Energy C-100's then and try your center speaker out with them. If it doesn't work you can (hopefully) find a C-C100 or C-C50 from Energy.

Thanks for your help. The voice matching says that if too brilliant move to minus or if too dull to jack it up +++. Now I have to spec some surround speakers and a woofer. The surround from Energy needs to be angled down because my chair is only 1.5 ft from the wall (lazy boy). There is a doorway right behind my chair on the side wall so I guess I could put one surround there. The other option would be to move it forward and put it on a stand under the window. I am more inclined to mount them in the corners of the room. Which speakers do you suggest for the surround? Woofer?
post #19 of 38 Old 02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you can’t really go wrong with a pair of Energy C-50’s, especially for the price, if you’re going with the C-100’s in front. They’d be a good match. To mount them on the wall you’d use something like this: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATMAC

You can see the threaded insert the mounts screw into on the back of the C-50.

Or, you can find stands on Amazon or many other websites for around 50 bucks a pair or more.

The C-50's really aren't that big and could easily be mounted on the wall. This picture will give you some perspective on their size:

For a subwoofer you could go cheap and get an ESW-8 for $100, or you could go for more impact with a PA-120 for $230 on eBay, or you could go for a great sub from HSU, SVS, or eD for $400+. It’s kind of up to you and what you want to achieve and are willing to spend. A good sub is important and makes a big difference.
post #20 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

The mount looks solid but does it tilt down? Also what stands whould be good to hold the C100s next to my 60 in Sony projection. Your help has really helped. Thank you

Ok now my Outlay looks a bit different than buying the OKYNO HTIB which was $699.
oky 606 449
p-120 229
C-100 119
c-50 69
mounts 50
stands 50
$966
Can I use my old Boze acustamass woofer for a while to save and buy the p-120 later? also does the p-120 have a grill cover? I still have to pease my wife
post #21 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the mount swivels so you can point the speakers where you want. From the description:

Quote:

Macro Mount mounts to wall or ceiling with standard hardware, and allows flexible aiming of your speakers. An allen key for adjustment is included, and tilt/pivot adjustments can be made while speaker is mounted. Just aim and tighten, and you get maximum sonic realism by pointing the sound exactly where it needs to be for convincing home theater surround sound. Macro Mount attaches to your Connoisseur speaker with a 3/8" 16 thread insert, making it fast and easy to install. Choose black or white finish.

As far as stands go for the front, anything will work and are available on Amazon and several other website/stores. The designs vary widely so it’s really up to your preference. You could even make something if you're looking for a simple project to tackle. Ultimately it's just a thing to elevate speakers - heck, you can even use a stool or a platform for plants if you want.

Though I’m not too familiar with Bose, I don’t think it’s even a proper subwoofer anyway – it’s always referred to as a bass module. It might not be able to handle subwoofer duty. Also, I don’t think you can use it because it has proprietary connections. Someone else can correct me if I’m wrong.

The PA-120 does show a grill cover in the pictures on the eBay store. Any other questions you have about it can be answered on the owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088734

Good luck, that $267 difference is a small price to pay for such better quality.
post #22 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the mount swivels so you can point the speakers where you want. From the description:

As far as stands go for the front, anything will work and are available on Amazon and several other website/stores. The designs vary widely so it's really up to your preference. You could even make something if you're looking for a simple project to tackle. Ultimately it's just a thing to elevate speakers - heck, you can even use a stool or a platform for plants if you want.

The PA-120 does show a grill cover in the pictures on the eBay store. Any other questions you have about it can be answered on the owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088734

Good luck, that $267 difference is a small price to pay for such better quality.

thanks again, i ordered the c100s from Vann's tonight but they did not list any c50s so I will go looking. Any suggestions. They also listed the okyno 606 for 20 bucks cheaper than One Call but it showed out of stock. The pictures on the web of stands don't show much and until I seee the speakers I won't know what would be appropriate. The Sony projection is on it's matching silver stand so I guess I need something silver. The other option would be to order an extra set of mount that you put in your earlier post and put them up high in the corners (Is that OK or should they be next to the tv,.

I have to run some wire so I was going to order some 14 gauge. Do you suggest that I order some banana plugs or just strip and hook up direct?
post #23 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The best place to get the C-50 is from the Audio Advisor seller on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Many here have reported that Audio Advisor is a reputable company. I’ve read that you can get free shipping if you buy them through Amazon but not direct through their store: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC50

Vanns does have a customer returned Onkyo for $387 if you don't mind the risk: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...kyo-tx-sr606-b
I've bought from Vanns and their customer service is pretty good if there's a problem. I would assume it would come with a full MFG warranty as they are authorized dealers for Onkyo.

Banana plugs are only useful if you know that you’ll be moving stuff around and want easy connect/disconnect. Also, if the wires are in a traffic area, the chances are that they’ll release easily and won’t damage your speakers and electronics if someone trips over them. Otherwise there’s no advantage to using banana plugs.

The Dolby website is a good place to start for speaker setup: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
post #24 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

went to audio advisor and put 219. worth of stuff in the cart. They said free shipping on over 199 but when I went to check out they added 91 for shipping. To save $$$ I speced c-50 for 69 and the Energy CW-8 woofer for 99 and a copule of mounts for 49.
Instead I emailed them about the shipping
post #25 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The C-50's and the sub are clearance items and don't qualify for free shipping per their terms:

Quote:
Factory Refreshed, Demo, Opened Box, Damaged, Closeout or Clearance items do not qualify for Free Super-Saver 7-10 Day Ground Delivery and will incur a shipping charge.

If they don't adjust your order, cancel it and buy them through Amazon - like I said.
post #26 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

thanks, did as you said and it worked. Also got the macromedia bracket for 32 open box from One call through amazon so saved another 15. I owe u a cigar 2c50 surrounds 69, woofer 99 2c100 119 2 brackets 32 $319 One Call has the OKY for 449 and Vann's shows 429 but out of stock. I want to buy new so maybe I can talk One call down. That will make my system about $150 more than the HTIB when I add in speaker stands.
post #27 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, you could have ended up with seven of the one on the left:

...and it only cost you $150 more? Consider yourself a very lucky.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Going through A was a wonderful idea. I got the items at NO shipping cost and today Audio A emailed me back saying that close out prices did not qualifyl '

their automatic system also notified me that the speakers had been shipped.

I know the CSW-8 is kind of small for a Sub woofer (I saw one at CC close out sale today for double the price) but maybe it will do for now. My room is only 12x14 so I don't need a huge boomer.

I was looking for some speaker stands and BB had some Stanus Euro that would hold a 10 speaker but they wanted $80 plus 7% tax so I am going to look online. Any suggestions?
post #29 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad it worked out for you!

For stands, of course Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=509308
and other people comment that they use here: http://www.standsandmounts.com/
and here: http://www.racksandstands.com/

You just need to figure out the proper height for you.
post #30 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I checked them out but they are not having any deals. There are some Sanus Euro stands for 51 silver and $44 white on ebay but I note that they are good for 10 lbs maximum and the Energy C-100's are 11 lbs and change. The 10# limit is probably because they are adjustable and the locking mechinism will slip. I guess if the white one's were purchased the slip mechinism could be jambed with white electrical tape. The Atlantic shown on Amz will support only 2 lbs so it is a NG.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page