Sony Unveils HT-CT 500... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1482 Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything new on when the CT-500 comes out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1482 Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgorme View Post

Anything new on when the CT-500 comes out?

Patience (muhhahaha), 3 weeks and counting to launch !

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
post #183 of 1482 Old 06-10-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

Patience (muhhahaha), 3 weeks and counting to launch !

Ok,, Writer,,, which one of us will get the CT-500 first ,,,,,,,,,, (sorry, couldnt resist)

(EDIT TIME) Opps,, I just posted the above comment,,,, and afterwards I saw your post on the other page about moving and having to wait to get the CT-500,,, that sucks !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Davyo
post #184 of 1482 Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
This wait is killing me . I sit at home with my new Pioneer 60" plasma and two cheap HTIB speakers my friend let me borrow so I at least have sound for now. I really hope it comes out July 1st but my gut feeling is that it's a placeholder date. I hope that isn't true but something tells me we won't be seeing it until late July.
post #185 of 1482 Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Hey guys, while we're waiting on this thing to arrive, we are moving to a home that has a cathedral ceiling, and is open to the kitchen. In other words, there really isn't a back wall that's anywhere near the furniture. Since we're renting the place we don't want to be messing with drilling and installing rear speakers, so I've been thinking that one of these systems like the CT-500 would be best. It sounds like, from reading past threads, that the CT-100 is not only much more economical than the YSP-4000 (or the Yamaha 1100, which it sounds like has about the same sound quality as the YSP-4000 for a lot less), but most of you think it either sounds better than the YSP-4000 (or about the same). Is that right?

Assuming the CT-500 is an improvement on the CT-100, will it be good in a room that doesn't really have a back wall and that has a cathedral ceiling (or a great room)? Or should I spend more for a Yamaha? Another option is to buy Kef wireless for back speakers, but I really don't want to have to mess with outlets.

One thing I liked about the YSP-4000-- I'm not sure if the Sony has it-- is the ability to press a button and have the sound relocate to where you are. It is a good feature to use at night, for example, to keep the sound level down and yet still hear the TV.
post #186 of 1482 Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 AM

Hi guys,

I can't wait till this comes out too! Looks like the average price will be $499 from most places but a few online sites are offering it for about $100 less. If you do a search on Google Shopping for Sony HT CT500 you can see the results. Do you think it would be ok to purchase the system from the online retailers offering it for less or should I purchase it from a local retail outlet and pay full price? Would you purchase the extended warranty?

Thanks for your replies!
post #187 of 1482 Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey guys, while we're waiting on this thing to arrive, we are moving to a home that has a cathedral ceiling, and is open to the kitchen. In other words, there really isn't a back wall that's anywhere near the furniture. Since we're renting the place we don't want to be messing with drilling and installing rear speakers, so I've been thinking that one of these systems like the CT-500 would be best. It sounds like, from reading past threads, that the CT-100 is not only much more economical than the YSP-4000 (or the Yamaha 1100, which it sounds like has about the same sound quality as the YSP-4000 for a lot less), but most of you think it either sounds better than the YSP-4000 (or about the same). Is that right?

Assuming the CT-500 is an improvement on the CT-100, will it be good in a room that doesn't really have a back wall and that has a cathedral ceiling (or a great room)? Or should I spend more for a Yamaha? Another option is to buy Kef wireless for back speakers, but I really don't want to have to mess with outlets.

One thing I liked about the YSP-4000-- I'm not sure if the Sony has it-- is the ability to press a button and have the sound relocate to where you are. It is a good feature to use at night, for example, to keep the sound level down and yet still hear the TV.

i just sold my ct-100 for a yamaha ysp 1100. there's no way the ct-100 sounds better than the ysp 1100. big difference in sound quality, surround effect, and overall volume.

psn id- jibbyjeep
post #188 of 1482 Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbyjeep View Post

i just sold my ct-100 for a yamaha ysp 1100. there's no way the ct-100 sounds better than the ysp 1100. big difference in sound quality, surround effect, and overall volume.

This depends on what size of the room you had it setup in and how you had it set up. If the CT100 was always displaying Dolby Prologic II all the time for everything, of course the sound is going to suck! If set up properly, the CT100 can get REALLY LOUD and sound great. Mine does (and is setup properly), if you go to max volume in the room mine is set up in (10x10) you'll go deaf and probably be bleeding out your ears. I also have the CT100 hooked up to a PS3/bluray player and Blurays sound SOOOO much better than DVD's, it's like night and day. I can't even raise the volume over 30 without the neighbors complaining...
The CT500 is going to be even louder than before and give us even more options to tweak and play with!

Note to myself and others:If I could go to these peoples houses who say the CT100 sucked and set it up the way I have mine set up, their minds would be changed no doubt about it. I have to agree a bit with jibbyjeep that the Yamaha YSP's sound pretty extraordinary but I won't budge on any of their soundbars until they at least allow LPCM above 2.0, Blurays have spoiled me

PSN- da1writer
post #189 of 1482 Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i just sold my ct-100 for a yamaha ysp 1100. there's no way the ct-100 sounds better than the ysp 1100. big difference in sound quality, surround effect, and overall volume.<<

Agree ....
post #190 of 1482 Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 PM

1. Does the CT100 or the forthcoming CT500 have Yamaha's ability to press a button on the remote and have the sound directed to where the remote is? I like that idea for viewing later at night.

2. Has anyone heard if Yamaha is coming out with updated models? I think the YSP4000 is a few years old.

3. We live in a home where where there is no back wall in the family room. It seamlessly transitions to the kitchen and so the "back wall" is about 30' from the TV. Would the YSP4000 or the CT100/500 be preferable? It sounds like neither of these is going to be optimal in a room like this, but would one be better?
post #191 of 1482 Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, while we're waiting on this thing to arrive, we are moving to a home that has a cathedral ceiling, and is open to the kitchen. In other words, there really isn't a back wall that's anywhere near the furniture.

I have the same "design" to my family room. Would love to know if this (or any sound bar) is effective in these types of rooms.
post #192 of 1482 Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. Does the CT100 or the forthcoming CT500 have Yamaha's ability to press a button on the remote and have the sound directed to where the remote is? I like that idea for viewing later at night.

2. Has anyone heard if Yamaha is coming out with updated models? I think the YSP4000 is a few years old.

3. We live in a home where where there is no back wall in the family room. It seamlessly transitions to the kitchen and so the "back wall" is about 30' from the TV. Would the YSP4000 or the CT100/500 be preferable? It sounds like neither of these is going to be optimal in a room like this, but would one be better?

1. The CT100 doesn't but I don't know too much about the CT500 due to it not being out yet. I love my CT100 but if your interested in that feature, go for the yamaha...
2. Wait... I could have sworn this was the CT500 thread... maybe we need to change the thread title to something else because it's getting invaded by Yamaha owners...
3. There are people in the CT100 thread who have no back wall and still really enjoy the unit. As stated in answer one, if you have the money, just go buy the Yamaha 4000, it has HDMI inputs. Man, I really thought this thread was about the CT500, maybe I'm in the wrong thread....

On a side note: If you go for the Yamaha, don't bother with a bluray player, your not going to use it to it's full ability. Stick to a DVD player because NONE of the Yamaha YSP's can do HD Audio tracks or 5.1/7.1 LPCM. Only the CT100/CT500 can bring out the full potential of blurays and are the only soundbar that can output the HD audio tracks (via PCM). Not many prior CT100 owners have heard HD Audio tracks from it because they never owned a Bluray player, thus saying the sound sucked because they were using a DVD player, You can really hear the difference between the two players. Bluray players really make the CT100 standout/shine and it's HD Audio tracks are way louder and room filling then old audio tracks (DD 5.1, DTS). People like to argue over this fact but this time I will bow out though people, sorry.

PSN- da1writer
post #193 of 1482 Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Can anyone tell where the subwoofer speaker placement within the box is? I was wondering if I could lay this on it's side on a shelf inside my media console. Obviously not a good idea if it's side firing.
post #194 of 1482 Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM

On a side note: If you go for the Yamaha, don't bother with a bluray player, your not going to use it to it's full ability. Stick to a DVD player because NONE of the Yamaha YSP's can do HD Audio tracks or 5.1/7.1 LPCM. Only the CT100/CT500 can bring out the full potential of blurays and are the only soundbar that can output the HD audio tracks (via PCM). Not many prior CT100 owners have heard HD Audio tracks from it because they never owned a Bluray player, thus saying the sound sucked because they were using a DVD player, You can really hear the difference between the two players. Bluray players really make the CT100 standout/shine and it's HD Audio tracks are way louder and room filling then old audio tracks (DD 5.1, DTS). People like to argue over this fact but this time I will bow out though people, sorry.>>

All I know is that when I tested the CT100 and the Yammie.. a blue ray sounded WAY better bit streamed from the PS3 coming out of the Yammie than outputted from pcm to the CT.. more fuller, clearer and powerful sound .. plus we had handshake problems with the CT that were unimaginable with the Yammie... connections mean nothing .. sound quality does .. this time I will also bow out
post #195 of 1482 Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Wow, Blu-Ray doesn't support Dolby Surround?

I don't think any soundbar can use any type of surround sound to it's full ability, can it? They do their best, but they're in front of you.
post #196 of 1482 Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM

I live in a apt. was looking for a sound system to go with my samsung 750 direct tv and ps3 system in my living room that is 20x13 rectangular shaped and my tv set up is placed in corner. i was looking into the ct 500 and the is 100 any opinions?
post #197 of 1482 Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Has anyone heard if the CT500 will support headphones? A major limitation to me of the CT100 is the complete inability to utilize headphones on the unit (no audio out connections). If the CT500 has an audio out connection (and maybe even supports the Dolby Headphone spec like a lot of receivers do), this would be a sure purchase for me.
post #198 of 1482 Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazura View Post

Has anyone heard if the CT500 will support headphones? A major limitation to me of the CT100 is the complete inability to utilize headphones on the unit (no audio out connections). If the CT500 has an audio out connection (and maybe even supports the Dolby Headphone spec like a lot of receivers do), this would be a sure purchase for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16664104

PSN- da1writer
post #199 of 1482 Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

1. The CT100 doesn't but I don't know too much about the CT500 due to it not being out yet. I love my CT100 but if your interested in that feature, go for the yamaha...
2. Wait... I could have sworn this was the CT500 thread... maybe we need to change the thread title to something else because it's getting invaded by Yamaha owners...
3. There are people in the CT100 thread who have no back wall and still really enjoy the unit. As stated in answer one, if you have the money, just go buy the Yamaha 4000, it has HDMI inputs. Man, I really thought this thread was about the CT500, maybe I'm in the wrong thread....

On a side note: If you go for the Yamaha, don't bother with a bluray player, your not going to use it to it's full ability. Stick to a DVD player because NONE of the Yamaha YSP's can do HD Audio tracks or 5.1/7.1 LPCM. Only the CT100/CT500 can bring out the full potential of blurays and are the only soundbar that can output the HD audio tracks (via PCM). Not many prior CT100 owners have heard HD Audio tracks from it because they never owned a Bluray player, thus saying the sound sucked because they were using a DVD player, You can really hear the difference between the two players. Bluray players really make the CT100 standout/shine and it's HD Audio tracks are way louder and room filling then old audio tracks (DD 5.1, DTS). People like to argue over this fact but this time I will bow out though people, sorry.

It is the CT-500 thread. I'm 90% sold on the CT-500, mainly because I don't want to spend so much for the YSP-4000 when it has the Blu Ray issue. I'd rather spend less now and wait until something worth splurging on comes out, then the CT-500 can go to the bedroom. Basically, the main thing I want is to get for now is decent surround sound without rear speakers in a family room that is open to the kitchen area. The back wall is 35' away. It was my understanding that the Yamaha NEEDS that back wall to give you anything approximating surround sound, whereas I wasn't sure about the CT-500. I knew some of you guys have used the Yamaha's and compared them closely with the CT-100, thus the questions here.

The only thing keeping the YSP-4000 in the game is the ability to localize the sound to one area, but I'm guessing it might not work without the back wall. That's probably a topic for another thread.
post #200 of 1482 Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 PM

A friend of mine is offering to sell me his almost new YSP-900 for 350, so I am kind of torn if I should wait for the CT-500.

I was planning to mate the YSP-900 with the PA-120. Any input guys? Should I pass on the Yamaha and wait.....
post #201 of 1482 Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Does anyone know if the CT500 can be hooked directly to the bottom of a 52" XBR6, or do I have to either put it on a table top or hang it directly on the wall under the TV? I'd love to get one of these for the TV, but I have a feeling the wife won't go for it if its sitting on the table under the TV.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!"
post #202 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post

A friend of mine is offering to sell me his almost new YSP-900 for 350, so I am kind of torn if I should wait for the CT-500.

I was planning to mate the YSP-900 with the PA-120. Any input guys? Should I pass on the Yamaha and wait.....

i've got the same set up, but with the ysp 1100. you won't be dissapointed.

psn id- jibbyjeep
post #203 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbyjeep View Post

i've got the same set up, but with the ysp 1100. you won't be dissapointed.

I won't deny that the YSP's sound amazing but the CT100 sounds great as well. The CT100 thread doesn't have over 2000 posts for no apparent reason. The CT100 is loved by many and only a few (you are one of them) who had a bad experience with it due to certain reasons . The CT500 is suppose to be louder and have alot more options this time around, so I'm most definitely getting the CT500 whenever my move is over. Please... can we keep this thread from deviating from the main title.

I know you love your YSP but this thread is about the CT500. Just because you had a bad experience with the CT100 doesn't mean others have or will. My CT100 is super loud [I only watch Blurays in HD Audio Format], room filling [10x10 room], and I love it and the CT100 thread reflects that so do many others. Back on topic please, yamaha invaders are the reason I try to not stop in this thread...

PSN- da1writer
post #204 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

I have a SONY KDL-46XBR2 without a surround sound system. Would a bar like this or the CT100 improve my sound quality significantly? I am really curious how much better the sound quality is compared to the tv's speakers.
post #205 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrerno View Post

I have a SONY KDL-46XBR2 without a surround sound system. Would a bar like this or the CT100 improve my sound quality significantly? I am really curious how much better the sound quality is compared to the tv's speakers.

I'm sure your XBR's speakers sound good for tv speakers, the ct100 will only improve the sound imo. I have it in a 14x14 bedroom, and it sounds very good with dvd's or ota HD channels. I don't have a BR player in the bedroom just a standard sony dvd player, but i'm sure it sounds great with blu-rays too. You will not get true surround sound with it, what you will get is a wider louder expanded stereo soundstage. Depending on your room size, the sound it outputs ranges from good - great.
post #206 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM

The CT100 thread doesn't have over 2000 posts for no apparent reason>>

Hey Da .. 1000 posts are from folks who can't get it to function properly and the other 1000 are your kind and I must say, patient. replies to fix it...
post #207 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post

The CT100 thread doesn't have over 2000 posts for no apparent reason>>

Hey Da .. 1000 posts are from folks who can't get it to function properly and the other 1000 are your kind and I must say, patient. replies to fix it...

lol, I know....

PSN- da1writer
post #208 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM

where are the inputs for the ct500 are they on the sub like the ct100??
post #209 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post

the ct100 thread doesn't have over 2000 posts for no apparent reason>>

hey da .. 1000 posts are from folks who can't get it to function properly and the other 1000 are your kind and i must say, patient. Replies to fix it...

So true, good one! :d
post #210 of 1482 Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhuong View Post

where are the inputs for the ct500 are they on the sub like the ct100??

Yes. All inputs are on the sub.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page