Sony Unveils HT-CT 500... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1482 Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched through the forums and didn't see anything, so I apologize if this is old info. I know the CT100 has a large following here so I thought it was worth mentioning:

Sony unveils HT-CT500 soundbar/subwoofer combo

Courtesy of Crave - CNET News:

"When CNET reviewed the Sony HT-CT100 in the spring of 2008, we hailed the $300 single-speaker audio system as one of the best values in its class. For 2009, Sony will be offering a step-up version, the HT-CT500. The $500 system retains the same basic two-part design (soundbar plus subwoofer), but supersizes it with a wider speaker unit and more powerful onboard 400-watt amplifier. The overall system delivers a 3.1 effect, thanks to the left/center/right speakers mounted in the soundbar.

Unlike the HDMI-only HT-CT100, the 500 supplements its three HDMI inputs with two component jacks and several audio inputs as well--and those analog inputs can be upconverted to HDMI output, so you'll need just a single cable running to your TV. Other niceties include an icon-based onscreen menu system and the ability to wirelessly transmit audio to other products that utilize Sony's S-AIR feature. Look for the HT-CT500 to hit stores in June 2009."

I was seriously considering purchasing the CT100 when I get my new 120Hz 46" Samsung in a few weeks. Now the question is... do I wait a few months for the new CT500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1482 Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich3210 View Post

I searched through the forums and didn't see anything, so I apologize if this is old info. I know the CT100 has a large following here so I thought it was worth mentioning:

Sony unveils HT-CT500 soundbar/subwoofer combo

Courtesy of Crave - CNET News:

"When CNET reviewed the Sony HT-CT100 in the spring of 2008, we hailed the $300 single-speaker audio system as one of the best values in its class. For 2009, Sony will be offering a step-up version, the HT-CT500. The $500 system retains the same basic two-part design (soundbar plus subwoofer), but supersizes it with a wider speaker unit and more powerful onboard 400-watt amplifier. The overall system delivers a 3.1 effect, thanks to the left/center/right speakers mounted in the soundbar.

Unlike the HDMI-only HT-CT100, the 500 supplements its three HDMI inputs with two component jacks and several audio inputs as well--and those analog inputs can be upconverted to HDMI output, so you'll need just a single cable running to your TV. Other niceties include an icon-based onscreen menu system and the ability to wirelessly transmit audio to other products that utilize Sony's S-AIR feature. Look for the HT-CT500 to hit stores in June 2009."

I was seriously considering purchasing the CT100 when I get my new 120Hz 46" Samsung in a few weeks. Now the question is... do I wait a few months for the new CT500?

Woah....
Hold the phone!
I never heard anything about this?!?! Davyo! This is probably why the CT100 is so dicounted and being sold out at alot of websites and stores. This is the new model of Sony's CT family!
I'm so psyched! I have no idea how I'm going to convince my wife to let me have this!
Excellent find mich3210, I know this is going to make alot of people happy who were upset that the CT100 wasn't loud enough! 400 Watts! Wow! I already think the CT100 is loud enough but the CT500 is going to be even louder!
Davyo, What's your thoughts, you think you'll grab it!
It's going to be really hard to convince my wife !

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
post #3 of 1482 Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Wow, this changes my thinking a bit . I knew they would be bringing something out new this year but I didn't expect it to be this big of an upgrade (at least on paper). I am still getting a ZVOX for our secondary room but I will definitely be following this new model closely.
post #4 of 1482 Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

Woah....
Hold the phone!
I never heard anything about this?!?! Davyo! This is probably why the CT100 is so discounted and being sold out at a lot of websites and stores. This is the new model of Sony's CT family!
I'm so psyched! I have no idea how I'm going to convince my wife to let me have this!
Excellent find mich3210, I know this is going to make a lot of people happy who were upset that the CT100 wasn't loud enough! 400 Watts! Wow! I already think the CT100 is loud enough but the CT500 is going to be even louder!
Davyo, What's your thoughts, you think you'll grab it!
It's going to be really hard to convince my wife !

HAHA... That was the reaction I was hoping for! I think I'll wait a few months and make due with the speakers on the TV until this hits the stores.
post #5 of 1482 Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I will sooooooo be getting the CT-500 the second it gets released !!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure I will be doing a pre-order once that option is on the table.

Not only do the up-grades look nice but it also has "on-screen menus",,,,WOW,,,,, I am truly happy.

Words cannot express how much I am looking forward to grabing one of these !!!!!!!!!!

Very very cool.

(Many thanks "Mich3210" for posting this find)
(And thanks again "Writer" for PM'ing me the info)

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I will sooooooo be getting the CT-500 the second it gets released !!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure I will be doing a pre-order once that option is on the table.

Not only do the up-grades look nice but it also has "on-screen menus",,,,WOW,,,,, I am truly happy.

Words cannot express how much I am looking forward to grabing one of these !!!!!!!!!!

Very very cool.

(Many thanks "Mich3210" for posting this find)
(And thanks again "Writer" for PM'ing me the info)

Cheers
Davyo

Geeze,, Im so excited about the up-coming CT-500 I have to reply to my own post.

Perhaps a bit of my excitement was pre-mature,, with reguards to the Sony press release that mentions "Icon based on-screen menus",, would that mean on-screen menus displayed on ones display (ie:,,plasma, LCD ect) or does that mean the menus are displayed on the subwofter same as the CT-100.

Idealy, the menus would be displayed on one's plasma or LCD ect., that would be most cool and not many companys offer that feature and usually call that feature "OSD", (on-screen display).
However if "Icon based on screen menus" just means just mean's displayed on the sub that wouldnt really be anything to be excited about.

Ok, now that's going to bug me as to what Sony/the press release means.

Opinions ???

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, it's a GUI on your TV screen:

You can go to sleep after you finish running every bit of kanji through google translate:
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...0903/09-0302B/
post #8 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 AM

I actually saw this back in January at the Sony Booth in CES.

Soundbar is slimmer compared to the CT100. When I inquired about the unit, I got the "We are not sharing info at this time".

PSN-RacerRex

CT-100 settings courtesy of Da1writer
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=745
post #9 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits View Post

FYI, it's a GUI on your TV screen:

You can go to sleep after you finish running every bit of kanji through google translate:
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...0903/09-0302B/

Nice find ickysmits... the OSD looks like a nice added feature, as do the additional inputs. Looks like the release date is planned for June 25th (at least in Japan).
post #10 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

I'm as excited and intrigued as Davyo when it comes to Sony's CT500! Can't wait for this to come out, I'll find some way to get this despite what the wife want, lol! This is too good to pass up! Makes you also wonder, they don't give out too much details in regards to sound beside 400watts. What's under the hood? Could this be Sony's answer to the people who thought the CT100 was too "quiet" or is this something to counter Yamaha's later soundbars ie will the Sony CT500 be the First soundbar with TrueHD and DTS-MA support?
I know I'm jumping the gun on that, we really need a spec sheet because They don't give out too much detail in regards to the CT500. What is written at the bottom of the CT500's sub? I can't really make it out, but I'll just be happy for a new unit to try and I'm sure I'll like it as much as my CT100, maybe even more!

I'd like to add that the onscreen menu does look pretty cool, thanks ickysmits for the find! I also noticed that it says multiple composite inputs so that answers a few peoples issues (some people don't have devices that are HDMI). This looks like a great successor to the CT100 totally, can't wait for it's realease hopefully in June!

PSN- da1writer
post #11 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Hmm, so this is being offered at $499? I wonder, is this replacing the CT100 or just expanding the line? I was waiting for the CT100 to come back down to $199 or so to pull the trigger, but this makes me want to wait and see if an upgrade is worthwhile.
post #12 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Hmm, so this is being offered at $499? I wonder, is this replacing the CT100 or just expanding the line? I was waiting for the CT100 to come back down to $199 or so to pull the trigger, but this makes me want to wait and see if an upgrade is worthwhile.

You may be interested in this thread then, I also sent you a PM !
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126247

PSN- da1writer
post #13 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the note. I saw that on fatwallet the other day at $199, but it had sold out. Now at $169, it's a great deal......... but shipping is $65 to Northern California, which kind of kills it. Especially for a "Used/Demo" unit, I'm still not sold yet.
post #14 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Would like to thank joecap for this, it's a translation of the CT500 announcement.
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Sorry about that Marauder, I did just add another post to my created thread though... may just need to wait for the CT500 !

PSN- da1writer
post #15 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 PM

I appreciate the heads-up anyways. I'll keep my eye out for more deals.

I was comparing the dimensions to the CT100 and came up with this:

CT500 spkr inches 33.7 x 2.0 x 2.0
CT500 sub inches 8.3 x 14.7 x 14.3

CT100 spkr inches 31.5 x 2.7 x 2.6
CT100 sub inches 9.7 x 6.3 x 14.2

So it looks like the speaker bar is slightly wider and the sub is about twice as wide. I took the CT100 specs from the Best Buy website.
post #16 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM

I am very excited about this unit as well!

Not sure how I'm going to afford this unit since I already have the excellent CT100, but I just want to upgrade so bad!

I can already see Da1 writing up instructions .....
post #17 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Same here jokerfish. I have no clue how I'll be able to afford it. I honestly doubt that it'll cost a whole $500, and I really hope for all of our sakes that it doesn't. I guess the 150 watt increase and increase in features and inputs justifies a price increase. I myself am still inside my 30 days of buying the CT100, so I'm still trying to decide if I should return them and wait for the new ones or just keep the CT100 and try to sell it for 150 or so in June when the unit comes out. What are you all gonna do? I know da already said he was upgrading no matter what. Joker, you sound like a for-sure as well. I really want the upgrade, but $500 opens up a whole new price range of products we hadn't considered seeing as how we all paid about $300 for the CT100. Who knows what kind of HTIB or soundbar combos we could get for that much... Something to think about.
post #18 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0151&langId=-1

Add more dynamic sound to your TV without the clutter of a traditional surround sound system. The HT-CT500 sound bar and subwoofer is a simple surround sound solution for your bedroom or small footprint apartment. This 3.1-channel speaker system comes with a built-in A/V receiver, 5 HD inputs (3 HDMI™ and 2 component) and icon based GUI with video upscaling to 1080p from analog standard definition sources. This sound bar is also equipped with S-AIR™ wireless technology for multi-room listening.

Icon based GUI
Icons appear on-screen and give simple feedback on use and set up features.

Analog Video Upscaling to 1080p via HDMI
This type of technology is usually only found in A/V receivers, gives customer the same benefit without the traditional receiver. Better image = more enjoyment and new life to standard definition sources.2

3 HDMI inputs ( 5 HD inputs total)
Offers simple solution for consumers to access, connect and manage HD sources

S-AIR – Multi-room listening ready
Add on accessory simple to use and inexpensive allows people in other rooms to listen to music from the system

Analog upconversion to HDMI
Only need one HDMI cable to connect to the TV. Without this feature any non HDMI connected devices would have to have additional cables sent to the TV i.e. component2

TV stand mount – W series only
Display the sound bar with TV, reduces footprint

400 W power
Plenty of power to support movies, video games and music

HDMI blending
Access or adjust system setting while watching movies or TV

Digital Media Port control on screen
On-screen navigation and control gives the user additional versatility when using digital media port.

BRAVIA Sync
Dimensions (Approx.) : 37.7" W x 3.5" H x 2" D (957 x 90 x51mm)
Weight (Approx.) : 2.86 lbs (1.3kg)

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #19 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0151&langId=-1

Add more dynamic sound to your TV without the clutter of a traditional surround sound system. The HT-CT500 sound bar and subwoofer is a simple surround sound solution for your bedroom or small footprint apartment. This 3.1-channel speaker system comes with a built-in A/V receiver, 5 HD inputs (3 HDMI and 2 component) and icon based GUI with video upscaling to 1080p from analog standard definition sources. This sound bar is also equipped with S-AIR wireless technology for multi-room listening.

Icon based GUI
Icons appear on-screen and give simple feedback on use and set up features.

Analog Video Upscaling to 1080p via HDMI
This type of technology is usually only found in A/V receivers, gives customer the same benefit without the traditional receiver. Better image = more enjoyment and new life to standard definition sources.2

3 HDMI inputs ( 5 HD inputs total)
Offers simple solution for consumers to access, connect and manage HD sources

S-AIR - Multi-room listening ready
Add on accessory simple to use and inexpensive allows people in other rooms to listen to music from the system

Analog upconversion to HDMI
Only need one HDMI cable to connect to the TV. Without this feature any non HDMI connected devices would have to have additional cables sent to the TV i.e. component2

TV stand mount - W series only
Display the sound bar with TV, reduces footprint

400 W power
Plenty of power to support movies, video games and music

HDMI blending
Access or adjust system setting while watching movies or TV

Digital Media Port control on screen
On-screen navigation and control gives the user additional versatility when using digital media port.

BRAVIA Sync
Dimensions (Approx.) : 37.7" W x 3.5" H x 2" D (957 x 90 x51mm)
Weight (Approx.) : 2.86 lbs (1.3kg)

That's a really good sign that it is already up on the sonystyle site. Who knows, we may see this before June in the US. Looks even more promising after reading the specs.
post #20 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Look good. Problem is what should I do with my CT100?
post #21 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrider View Post

Look good. Problem is what should I do with my CT100?

CT100 is going to be sold to a friend or I'm going to ebay mine. Problem is that I don't have the original box... it's going to be hard to find one that fits this too.
Maybe use the box that the New CT500 will be in (ie sell CT100 after getting CT500).

PSN- da1writer
post #22 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM

I want to do something similar. I have the original box as well, so that should be a plus.

Don't know if I can get this new one though......I want to see if the sound is improved and if the bass remains the same.
post #23 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

I'll probably sell mine when this one comes out. I hope it comes out sooner than June though.
post #24 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CT100 is going to be sold to a friend or I'm going to ebay mine. Problem is that I don't have the original box... it's going to be hard to find one that fits this too.
Maybe use the box that the New CT500 will be in (ie sell CT100 after getting CT500).

Yea "Writer" you should ALWAYS keep the box's, I have an area in my garage dedicated to storing original box's

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

That's a really good sign that it is already up on the sonystyle site. Who knows, we may see this before June in the US. Looks even more promising after reading the specs.

The fact the the CT-500 is already on the Sony site is a very good sign that it might be coming out sooner than June.
I have seen that happen before in reguards to Sony products.

I'm sure we all signed up with the the "notifiy when this product is available" on the Sony site but dont just wait for that email notice as I have see Sony products in the past that were in-store's, being sold, while still not listed as available on the SonyStyle site.

Cheers
Davyo
post #25 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea "Writer" you should ALWAYS keep the box's, I have an area in my garage dedicated to storing original box's

The fact the the CT-500 is already on the Sony site is a very good sign that it might be coming out sooner than June.
I have seen that happen before in reguards to Sony products.

I'm sure we all signed up with the the "notifiy when this product is available" on the Sony site but dont just wait for that email notice as I have see Sony products in the past that were in-store's, being sold, while still not listed as available on the SonyStyle site.

Cheers
Davyo

Aww... come on Davyo, I live in a apartment, space is already cramped ! I do keeps some of my boxes (packed down) but the CT100... I have no clue what I did with the box. Aw well, I'll most likely use the CT500 box, stripping the outside and packing a bit more inside.

I did do the notify thing though, hopefully with it showing up early on sonystyle.com, this means it may be coming out early for the US !

PSN- da1writer
post #26 of 1482 Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aww... come on Davyo, I live in a apartment, space is already cramped ! I do keeps some of my boxes (packed down) but the CT100... I have no clue what I did with the box. Aw well, I'll most likely use the CT500 box, stripping the outside and packing a bit more inside.

I did do the notify thing though, hopefully with it showing up early on sonystyle.com, this means it may be coming out early for the US !

Hey Writer (and others) if you need a CT-100 box check the Wal-Marts or BestBuys,, sometimes they will just let you have the empty box that the display/floor model came in.

Cheers
Davyo
post #27 of 1482 Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Writer (and others) if you need a CT-100 box check the Wal-Marts or BestBuys,, sometimes they will just let you have the empty box that the display/floor model came in.

Cheers
Davyo

Cool, I'll check that out when the time comes, and thanks for the PM Davyo ! I'm really excited about the CT500!

PSN- da1writer
post #28 of 1482 Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Being a toy train collector, boxes are important.. besides , if you have a warranty issue the original packing is the easy way to get the item off ..

I was ready to pull the trigger on the yammie 1100 but now I'll likely wait as I'd prefer this kind of tecmology over bouncing the sound due to the shape of my listening area.. IMO this S force technology need mucho power to be impressive .. hopefully theres enough out of the 500 .. what I'm leary about is that the ad states in so many words "good for a bedroom or small footprint area"

My thoughts are this thing will be released sooner than June.. Too long a delay in release would put a freeze on sales awaiting this thing.. folks see this and they ain't going to buy the 100...
post #29 of 1482 Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post

what I'm leary about is that the ad states in so many words "good for a bedroom or small footprint area"

My thoughts are this thing will be released sooner than June.. Too long a delay in release would put a freeze on sales awaiting this thing.. folks see this and they ain't going to buy the 100...

I wouldnt be leary over being able to use the CT-500 in a large room as the CT-100 does pretty good in a average sized room.

The up-coming release of the CT-500 might hurt CT-100 sales a bit but not much, the CT-500 is $200.00 more than the CT-100.

Also the general public wont really know about the CT-500 until its out,,only us AVS junkies and AV geeks that spend our lives on our PC's and Mac's for hours upon hours reading and researching new toys to buy know about the CT-500 at this time.

Cheers
Davyo
post #30 of 1482 Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would just craigslist it. Even if you kept the box it would be a pain to ship.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page