Sony BDV-E300 / BDV-E500W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any info on these new Blu-Ray HTIB systems? Heard June for a release date. I'd buy one today if they were available now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It says June on Sony's site too. Can't wait either!
post #3 of 38 Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Okay it's June. Where are these bad boys?
post #4 of 38 Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 PM

June is OVER!!
post #5 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM

It looks like it's now available through sony's website...
post #6 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Bought it. Ships tomorrow. Should have it by Friday. I'm stoked! Will post a review ASAP.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Please do I'm curious as too the speaker connections , are they priority or wire terminal ?.
Thanks .
I tried to access on line info / techs don't even list the models as available in US ! ?.

Strange Sony doesn't seem to have their act together .
post #8 of 38 Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks Herbacide! I want to find out how many hdmi inputs this system has.
post #9 of 38 Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure they have two hdmi inputs. Back in March when they were originally announced, some site had a pic of the rear panel. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it again.
post #10 of 38 Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM

Which one did you get Herbacide? The 300 or 500? Let us know how you like it because I was interested in the 500
post #11 of 38 Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM

Liked: 11
Also interested in a review.

Is the owners manual online yet?

From the technical specs for the E300:

Quote:

Inputs and Outputs
* Analog Audio Input(s) : 2 (AUDIO TV)
* Coaxial Audio Input(s) : 1 (Sat/Cable)
* Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s) : 1
* Composite Video Output(s) : 1
* D.C.A.C. (Auto Calibration) : Yes (Mono Mic.)
* DIGITAL MEDIA PORT : Yes (1)
* HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1 (Upscale to (1080p) for DVD)
* Optical Audio Input(s) : 1(TV)
* Speaker Terminal : 2 (Front); 1 (Center); 2 (Surround); 1 (Subwoofer)

post #12 of 38 Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #13 of 38 Old 07-21-2009, 02:58 PM

I'm assuming Herbacide didn't like his unit or is having problems . As he never returned to post anything one way or the other .

I for one am REALLY GLAD I went Onkyo 6100 far superior connectivity and sound .

It wasn't even close , Hands Down Onkyo far superior IMO ...
post #14 of 38 Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM

After waiting for this since March/April I'm disappointed that the BDV-E500W has no HDMI inputs.

By the way here's a new review at cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...-33539823.html

This comment about adjusting the audio on the fly surprised me. Can someone confirm this?

"Checking the other results we found the subwoofer volume was much too loud, but that's true for most autosetup systems, and the BDV-E500W's center channel speaker volume was too low. We determined that as we listened to Blu-ray movies, but unfortunately, the BDV-E500W doesn't offer an easy way to make level adjustments "on-the-fly." No, you have to stop the disc to enter the manual setup. With a lot of Blu-rays, you then have to restart the disc and make your way back through the FBI warning and movie trailers to get back to the movie. "

I'm actually now tempted to get the Samsung BD3252 which not only has 2 HDMI inputs but also Wi-Fi and support for streamed movies. Plus it also has the wireless rear speakers. See Gizmodo 7/21 for details:

http://gizmodo.com/5319541/samsung-b...a-deal-for-800

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/21/s...the-ht-bd3252/

What are your thoughts?
post #15 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Man, I could've sworn these units had 2 hdmi inputs and wi-fi for BD live when they announced them back in March. I even remember seeing a pic of the back panel and thinking, 'that's perfect for my setup'.

Was the feature set possibly downgraded during the somewhat lengthy production phase?
post #16 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onpoint View Post

Man, I could've sworn these units had 2 hdmi inputs and wi-fi for BD live when they announced them back in March. I even remember seeing a pic of the back panel and thinking, 'that's perfect for my setup'.

Was the feature set possibly downgraded during the somewhat lengthy production phase?

Same here, I could have sworn that it had HDMI inputs. Since the HT-SS360 has HDMI inputs I hoped this BDV-E500W would have them too.

What I'd really prefer is a similar setup with HDMI inputs but with a separate Blu-Ray player (in case one or the other breaks).

Now I'm torn between the Sony BDV-E500W and the Samsung HT-BD3252 which has more features.
post #17 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Why wouldn't you consider the HTS-S360? What about the specifications make it "lower-end" as compared to the BDV-E300? As far as I could tell, the BDV-E300 < HTS-S360 + BDV-S360 in terms of specifications, with the only compromise being that it takes up more room and needs to be connected one-to-the-other.

A comparable device with a "lower-end" price (combined with the BDV-S360) is generally considered a Good Thing.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Why wouldn't you consider the HTS-S360? What about the specifications make it "lower-end" as compared to the BDV-E300? As far as I could tell, the BDV-E300 < HTS-S360 + BDV-S360 in terms of specifications, with the only compromise being that it takes up more room and needs to be connected one-to-the-other.

A comparable device with a "lower-end" price (combined with the BDV-S360) is generally considered a Good Thing.

You're right, I guess I mispoke when I called it "lower-end". I was mainly focusing on a set with tall-boy speakers (per the wife due to looks and lack of space on top of TV console) and rear wireless speakers. The HT-SS360 does not have either of these features.

I know these have different sets of features but I keep on going back and forth between something like the HT-SS360, HT-CT100/HT-CT500 and BDV-E500W....
post #19 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM

You wife likes "tall-boy" speakers? I think my wife would have me sent the HTS back if it has speakers like that.

I didn't consider the HTC-T100 because I don't believe a soundbar can really do the same thing as six speakers.

And the BDV-E500W is nice, surely, but again, check the ports. From the specs:
Quote:

#
Inputs and Outputs
* Analog Audio Input(s) : 2 (AUDIO TV)
* Coaxial Audio Input(s) : 1 (Sat/Cable)
* Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s) : 1
* Composite Video Output(s) : 1
* D.C.A.C. (Auto Calibration) : Yes (Mono Mic.)
* DIGITAL MEDIA PORT : Yes (1)
* HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1 (Upscale to (1080p) for DVD)
* Headphone Jack : Yes (3.5mm @Surround Unit)
* Optical Audio Input(s) : 1(TV)
* Speaker Terminal : 2 (Front); 1 (Center); 2 (Surround); 1 (Subwoofer)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665806556

Again, no HDMI inputs.
post #20 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

You wife likes "tall-boy" speakers? I think my wife would have me sent the HTS back if it has speakers like that.

I didn't consider the HTC-T100 because I don't believe a soundbar can really do the same thing as six speakers.

And the BDV-E500W is nice, surely, but again, check the ports. From the specs:http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665806556

Again, no HDMI inputs.

Well, tall-boy speakers are less bulky than most floor-standing ones. I know here are small speakers one can put on a stand but most of the reasonably-priced (<$120) stands I saw were ugly. I guess to each his own, eh?

I agree with your hesitation about soundbars. I'd probably go with the HT-SS360 and not connect the rear speakers instead of buying the soundbar.

Yes, no HDMI inputs as I pointed out earlier. Bummer. That's why I said I'm starting to consider the Samsung HT-BD3252.

In the meantime I'm still looking around for some non-bulky (for me) floor-standing speakers and an A/V receiver with a rear wireless speaker option. I would have considered the Polk VM series (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/floorstanding.php#vm) but at $1000/pair that's way out of my budget.
post #21 of 38 Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Anyone know when the E500 will be available in stores?
post #22 of 38 Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Any one using a Harmony remote with this? I'm not seeing it in the Harmony database.

Jim
post #23 of 38 Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got one... pretty happy with it so far. The calibration mic worked nicely and setting up the S-Air rear speakers was easy enough. Keep in mind that if you plan to buy the wireless rear speaker module (WAHT-SA10), you also need to buy the S-Air adapter (EZW-T100). Together, they run about $200, which is basically the price difference between this unit and the 500w. Also note the S-Air adapter adds about 2" of depth to the unit.

I'm using Sony's mp3 streamer (TDM-NC1) from a previous purchase. Ideally, it'd be nice if this unit had a second DM port, since a lot of people apparently have Ipods, but it's not a big deal to unplug one accessory and plug in another, if needed.

Music sounds great. The sub provides plenty of bass, and Sony doesn't disappoint in offering a variety of sound modes. The lone optical input is being utilized for my cable box, which also sounds good with the digital decoding.

I was a little disappointed this unit didn't ship with Wi-Fi for BD Live. I'm guessing Sony reached a limit on features in maintaining their price point. I don't use BD Live that much, but may end up springing for another WAP at some point - unless the mp3 streamer can be used as a bridge.

Also if you buy this system, try to find a usb drive without a light. Or wrap its light in electrical tape. It's a little distracting to see an orange light blinking behind the unit during movies.
post #24 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM

I too finally bought a BDV-E500W. I decided to go for it when I saw one for < $600 ($200+ savings).

Set up was pretty easy. I probably took more time configuring my Harmony 550 universal remote.

While HDMI inputs would have been great I'm doing ok with the input audio options (digital coax for cable box; audio RCA for Wii).

I'm no audiophile but just wanted better sound than the TV speakers had to offer. I find the dialogue clear and the sound full. I think it is a big upgrade over the built-in speakers of my TV. So far so good. The wireless speakers work very well -- no interference from my cordless phone.

I would have preferred the HT-SF360 (which is only available in Canada and the UK) since it does not have a built-in Blu-Ray player.

How did you remove the label on top of the unit? It does not seem to want to peel off easily.
post #25 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Haha... yeah that label. Might've gotten lucky peeling mine off. Maybe try it from different sides, like the side behind the crease.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM

My unit just arrived from Amazon. It's very cheap there, under $500.

I like it a lot. For a no frills Blu-Ray player/Home Theater System, it works, sounds and plays very well for being so modestly priced. It's a perfect unit for a small room as I bought it for a bedroom.

Setup was easy, the calibration was super simple and I started watching movies immediately.

The sound quality is good enough for me, but again, I'm not a super audiophile type of person.

It looks nice, too. It's rather large with a small, white ambient light slit when the unit is on.

I also bought the TDM-IP50 port and it works with my iPhone (movies and music) although the picture quality of the movies played from the iPhone isn't that great (expected I guess). Just be sure to connect the unit with an Ethernet cable and update the firmware.

I guess you can connect a USB flash drive for whatever reason, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
post #27 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM

You must have bought the BDV-E300 if it were < $500, right? I decided to go for the BDV-E500W to get the tallboy speakers (no space to put speakers on top of my TV console) and the wireless rears.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambler View Post

...Just be sure to connect the unit with an Ethernet cable and update the firmware...

Do you know what's included in the firmware update?

Also, are you using a wireless bridge?

On a side note, it was the BDV-IS1000 (1st gen blu-ray HTIB) that had the two HDMI inputs. That system had a slightly higher price point, golfball sized speakers, and some people had fits trying to get the S-Air connected.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onpoint View Post

Do you know what's included in the firmware update?

Hmmm.... there's a firmware update already? I didn't bother checking through the device when I installed it since I didn't see any new firmware for both BDV-E500W and BDV-E300 at http://esupport.sony.com. I chatted with Sony support and the tech said that there are no updates.

Just to double check I went ahead and connected the unit to the internet and checked for updates but there were none. My firmware from the factory is 13.1.005.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 AM

This is odd... I saw a Sony BDV-T10 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...#ProductDetail

It looks like the BDV-E300 but I don't see it at www.sonystyle.com. I only found it on eBay and Walmart.

Actually I did find a data sheet (7/2009) at Sony's website (http://www.docs.sony.com/reflib/docg...egion_id=1&DL=) but no product page.

Is this a Walmart-only product? I didn't think Sony made those.

( The BDV-E500W manual actually also lists BDV-T20W as another version but I also haven't seen that. I didn't find anything on Google either. )
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page