Sony's "New" HTS-S360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 368 Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised there isn't any threads about this. I'm planning on getting it to hook it up to my PS3. Does any one own it? If so, post your impressions. I couldn't find any reviews for it, has any one read anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 368 Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

I too am looking at the Sony s360. I have a soney s350 blueray and the 360 seems to interface nicely. Also, the slim design of the receiver is a must for me because of limited shelve space. Here's my problem: The speakers are hardwired with a sony proprietary clip to connect to the reciever. My house is prewired for surround sound thru the attic. I contacted sony to see if they have adapters or sell male/female clip sets I can attach to my existing wiring. They don't. It appears the only option they offer is use the supplied wiring and run it across the floor! BTW cutting the speaker's wires voids the warranty.

I'm open to other brands but must have the slim reciever height and don't need another dvd or blueray that is included with most of the slim ITB systems.

Suggestions/solutions anyone?
post #3 of 368 Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivey1 View Post

i too am looking at the sony s360. I have a soney s350 blueray and the 360 seems to interface nicely. Also, the slim design of the receiver is a must for me because of limited shelve space. Here's my problem: The speakers are hardwired with a sony proprietary clip to connect to the reciever. My house is prewired for surround sound thru the attic. I contacted sony to see if they have adapters or sell male/female clip sets i can attach to my existing wiring. They don't. It appears the only option they offer is use the supplied wiring and run it across the floor! Btw cutting the speaker's wires voids the warranty.

I'm open to other brands but must have the slim reciever height and don't need another dvd or blueray that is included with most of the slim itb systems.

Suggestions/solutions anyone?

post #4 of 368 Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 AM

I have a sub and amp already that I got free for helping a friend hook up his new home theater system. I was wondering if this receiver will let me use my this sub/amp instead of the supplied one?
post #5 of 368 Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick22587 View Post

I'm surprised there isn't any threads about this. I'm planning on getting it to hook it up to my PS3. Does any one own it? If so, post your impressions. I couldn't find any reviews for it, has any one read anything about it?

+1, was thinking of the same option, but worried about the amount of wires
post #6 of 368 Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I have the same questions you guys do. It looks like not a lot of people own it. The only thing stopping me from buying it is that there isn't any reviews on the damn thing.
post #7 of 368 Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I saw it last week at Frys - slick looking.
post #8 of 368 Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM

What did it sound like?

Paul
post #9 of 368 Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
mivey1,

The easy solution there is to simply splice the supplied Sony speaker wires into your existing wires (no cutting required, simply twist & tape them with electrical tape and hide them or if you are handy with a soldering iron you can go that route). The ends that go into the speakers are just bare wire, the proprietary connection is at the receiver.

Not sure if you plan to use your own speakers or not but the issue there is that the Sony systems are designed to be used with the speakers that it comes with as they have uncommon Ohm ratings, the center is 1.5 Ohm and the rest are 3 Ohm. So any normal 6-8 Ohm home speaker will not perform as it should and could possibly damage the Sony receiver (probably would not but possible).

TheLunitik,

You can use an amp or powered sub with the Sony as long as it has the proper speaker level inputs, just don't expect much in the way of sound quality at higher DB levels. The Sony receiver does not have any line level pre-outs.

Jason
post #10 of 368 Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 AM

Finally found a review of this system outside of SonyStyle website....this posted on Amazon.com yesterday:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Great sound, good price and easy set up., May 17, 2009
By D. Chandler - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

When I recently bought a new Sony 40" LCD TV I discovered the TV speakers were better than my old cheapie surround sound system. I then bought this Sony HTSS360. I'm a long way from an audio expert but I know good sound when I hear it and this system has it all the way from the high to the low pitched sounds. I can now hear even faint sounds/sound effects I never knew existed with my old sound system. Between the new TV and this surround sound system all my existing DVD's are like watching all new movies. It may be a little on the subjective side but my movies appear to have better color and clarity than when the feed was direct from my DVD player. Very easy to set up and play using one remote with the Bravia Sync. In my case just two HDMI cables, sat box and DVD player, to the receiver and one HDMI out to the TV, easy.
post #11 of 368 Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM

I know this is a sound system but what if you need or want to use headphones. Is there anyway to do this with this system?
post #12 of 368 Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
One way I know of to utilize headphones would be by using a speaker level to line level adapter and then a headphone mix-amp. The SQ would probably be pretty poor but technically speaking it should work. Or if your TV has HDMI and a headphone jack you should be able to run the audio into the TV via HDMI from the Sony and then use the TV as your headphone amp.

Jason
post #13 of 368 Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM

hi all, i own the HTSS2000. i am very ahppy with it but i'm thinking of upgrading to HT-SS2300 . from what i understand, HT-SS2300 is 1080p/ 24 compatible. I thought my old system was compatible but appartanly not. so what is this HTS-S360 ? is this next in line ? is this the new model. What is the difference b/w the two previous versions?

to Mivey1, i had the same problem too with my HTSS2000. you dont have to buy anything new. you simply connect the Sony wire with the clip to the back of the receiver as you normally would. but instead of connecting the wires to the back of the speakers, you connect to your the existing wires already installed in your home and tape them together w/ electric tape.
post #14 of 368 Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Also does it do HDMI audio processing like the SS2300?
post #15 of 368 Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 PM

I've had my HT-SS360 for a couple weeks now, and overall I'm very happy with it. It's a great value for around $300!

The sound is great for the room I have it in (surprisingly, I have to keep the sub turned down), and the HDMI switching works very well.

I had speaker wire already run along my walls for the surround speakers, so I purchased a full set of connectors from an eBay seller (bogue_engineering) that I twisted onto the ends of my existing wire, then sealed with heat shrink tubing. I mounted the rear speakers using inexpensive Monoprice wall mounts. Everything looks and works very well.

I programmed the system into my Harmony Remote using the HT-SS2300 codes. The SS360 seems to be just a cosmetic upgrade to the SS2300.

The auto-calibration with the included microphone worked fine, though it wasn't really necessary for my room.

Note that there is no on-screen display output to your television, so you'll need to look at the small LED display on the front of the receiver when navigating its menus. It's not too big of a deal, as you'll probably rarely need to use the menus after your initial setup & calibration.

The system does do HDMI audio processing, and for that reason does not pass audio through to your display device. I have an Xbox 360, a Playstation 3, and an AppleTV all connected through the receiver. 1080p video gets passed through without problems to my Sony SXRD television. The receiver does seem to remember your A.F.D. settings on a per-input basis.

I don't recall if there's a dynamic range compression feature, but I may look into it as the system is a little too loud for me to play games on late at night without disturbing others, even at low volumes (mostly subwoofer 'boom').
post #16 of 368 Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathos View Post

Note that there is to on-screen display output to your television, so you'll need to look at the small LED display on the front of the receiver when navigating its menus.

This is Sony's third upgrade on the same basic model in three years and they still have the pain-in-the-___ LED menus? The tiny screen and cryptic menu options makes it so hard when trying to fine tune the system. How hard is it to do this, Sony? I have friends who have on-screen menus with the DVD upscaling HTIBs so it can't be the HDMI causing the problem.

This is a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to hold on to my ss-2000 for a little longer.

post #17 of 368 Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Cnet.com just reviewed it. It looks like its a great buy for the price while giving great features.
post #18 of 368 Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 AM

i got these question to be answered by some one that owns the s360
does the s360 upscale video analog through hdmi to 1080p?
does it sound good while playing music?(read on cnet that was a issue)
is 5.1 and 7.1 a huge difference?
post #19 of 368 Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 AM

I just bought the sony HTS-S360 and waiting to take delivery of it tomorrow. I read the review on Cnet and they graded it well. It performs well with movies but not with music i guess, this according to Cnet.

Anyways, when i get things setup which should be this weekend i will chime in with my thoughts.
post #20 of 368 Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Liked: 11
Could someone please highlight the differences between the "new" HTS-S360 and the original HTSS360 discussed in THIS thread?
post #21 of 368 Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Could someone please highlight the differences between the "new" HTS-S360 and the original HTSS360 discussed in THIS thread?

If you are referring to the HT-SS2300, then check out this post I made in that thread.

Basically it has mostly been stripped down from last year's version, but it has also added some features. If you are choosing a HTIB receiver just from aesthetic looks to match the recently released BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 Blu-ray players, I would go for this newer receiver. If you have the older BDP-S350 or BDP-S550 players, then go for the older receiver. Sony made these receivers to compliment existing standalone Blu-ray players.
post #22 of 368 Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the info.

I still cannot get any information from Sony about a release date for the BDV-E300. Grrr...
post #23 of 368 Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Just ordered my hts 360... Ill post some impressions when i get it...

ps: big river has it at a very good price.. go check if your interested...
post #24 of 368 Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 AM

So I have finally received and set up the above referenced home theater system. I have it connected to PS3 and Philips Upscaling DVD Player (Model DVP5982) and old' Samsung LCD (Model LN-S3296D). All connections are via the HDMI cables.

For PS3 I have it set up the audio per instructions found elsewhere on this forum (Linear PCM). The receiver is left on AFD STD option and everything works (and sounds) great. As a side note - it took me a while to realize that not all Blu-Ray discs carry LPCM soundtrack. The only two I own right now (March of the Penguins and David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall) do not. Hence, I was initially upset' that the latter disc played only in Dolby TrueHD and I could not get the LPCM option to show. Well, go figure: I could not do it because it was not there to begin with.

Now, to the DVD setup (note: I know that I can use the PS3 to play the DVDs but sometimes I just find it easier to use the player plus I need this setup for playing DVDs issued for other regions). I thought that when I leave the receiver on the AFD STD option, it should get the sound from the source as it was encoded. In the case of a typical DVD, it would be Dolby Surround 5.1. However, when I play the movie, the display always (briefly) shows 2.0 CH message. The only time I get the surround mode is when I enable one of the sound fields available (such as PRO LOGIC II Movie).

Question: is this the proper way to view the DVDs? Do I need to enable one of the sound fields? Why doesn't the receiver automatically sense the soundtrack encoded on the disc when the AFD STD field is enabled. Any help in finding an answer to this question would be greatly appreciated!
post #25 of 368 Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

^^JMO but I'd check to see how the audio set-up in the Philips DVD player is configured.
post #26 of 368 Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Ok so I was just setting up my new htss360 and I am officially pissed..

how can they only provide less than 10 feet of speaker wire for your front surrounds and less than 6 feet for you center chanel...

and I am also short on one of my rear sorround speakers..

you guys think that sony would provide me with longer cables...

I have all my speaker set up but I cant hide the cables because they are to short, also I cant put my center channel up near my celing because of the 6 foot speaker wire...

damm im pissed..

sorry guys just venting..
post #27 of 368 Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 AM

How long are the cables for the rear speakers? (I need about 35 feet.) Are longer cables possible?
post #28 of 368 Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 AM

you out of luck buddy, the rear wires are only 30 feet long.. I also needed about 35 to be able to hide the wires..
post #29 of 368 Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM

it just keeps getting better.. they say they dont sell individula speaker wires for this system..

so now i would have to spend an extra 55 bucks to get all five wires so that i can use the rear wires (wich are longer) for the front wires...

post #30 of 368 Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM

So they do sell longer wires; $55 is worth it to me.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page