HTR-6230 No Audio for PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble getting sound out of my Home Theater speakers when I am using the PS3. Here's my setup: I have HDMI cables running from both my Cable Box and PS3 into the HTR-6230 receiver, then one HDMI out into the TV. I also have an Optical cable running from the TV into the receiver. When I switch to DVD input, I get video on the TV, but no PS3 audio through the speaker system. I do get PS3 audio through the TV speakers. My suspicion is that I need a separate audio cable running from the PS3 into the receiver. If this is the case, can I run an optical cable from the PS3 into the Optical port labeled "CD," or do I need to go in to the coaxial port labeled "DVD?" The TV audio works fine through the receiver, by the way. Thanks for your help!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you watch OTA TV from an antenna you don't need the optical cable from the TV to the 6230. You won't get 5.1 from anything except the TV's internal tuner because of copy protection.

I'm pretty sure your receiver doesn't handle audio over HDMI so run two digital cables (optical or coaxial) from the PS3 and the cable box to the 6230.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 PM

NEVER run any video or audio cables into your TV from your components. They should all be run into your receiver. If your receiver does not allow audio over HDMI, you will need to run optical/coaxial digital audio cables to your receiver. MAKE SURE that your PS3 is then set to send audio over optical and NOT HDMI, as it WILL NOT DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. It's an either/or situation. If your receiver is capable of audio over HDMI, make sure your PS3 is set to HDMI and not optical.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Actually, the PS3 can send audio over both hdmi and optical simultaneously as of firmware 3.0, as far as I know.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelzhan View Post

as far as I know.

"as far as I know"
AKA: AFAIK, FYI.
LOL.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 AM

This is the exact same problem I have and no one has answered the question. I have Cablebox and PS3 as my 2 HDMI inputs to receiver (Yamaha HTR-6230). I have an optical cable from the TV back to the receiver to get sound for the HTS. I would think since both the PS3 and the Cablebox go HDMI to the TV via the receiver and I can hear the Cable through the HTS that I should be able to hear the PS3 through the HTS also when I change to that input... I can still only hear through the TV.... I think I'm not setting the right sound on the PS3 or the receiver, so the TV can't send it back through the optical wire or there is a handshake problem... I can't see why sound wouldn't come back through to HTS the same way as the TV. I guess I'll switch the HDMI inputs and see if the same problem exists or if there is a bad HDMI input (but I can still hear sound through TV). Did anyone ever fix this?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoritz89 View Post

This is the exact same problem I have and no one has answered the question. I have Cablebox and PS3 as my 2 HDMI inputs to receiver (Yamaha HTR-6230). I have an optical cable from the TV back to the receiver to get sound for the HTS. I would think since both the PS3 and the Cablebox go HDMI to the TV via the receiver and I can hear the Cable through the HTS that I should be able to hear the PS3 through the HTS also when I change to that input... I can still only hear through the TV.... I think I'm not setting the right sound on the PS3 or the receiver, so the TV can't send it back through the optical wire or there is a handshake problem... I can't see why sound wouldn't come back through to HTS the same way as the TV. I guess I'll switch the HDMI inputs and see if the same problem exists or if there is a bad HDMI input (but I can still hear sound through TV). Did anyone ever fix this?

The question was answered twice, actually. Maybe try to read the post next time. You are confused about how your AVR works. The sound from the PS3, etc, does not come back from the TV to your receiver. It doesn't work that way. The TV is not allowed to do that due to copy protection. The audio is carried through the HDMI cable to your receiver. From there, the receiver should process the sound, and pass the video on to the tv. Now, some receivers are not capable of processing audio via the HDMI input. Those receivers can only handle video signals through HDMI, while the audio track MUST come to the receiver through another seperate cable. So, if your receiver doesn't process HDMI audio, this is what you need to do: run an optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver. A digital output from the TV is for one purpose only: getting audio from OTA (antenna) broadcast television to your receiver. So if you don't use an antenna to watch shows, there is absolutely NO REASON that you should have an audio cable going from your TV to your receiver.
HTH.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM

I was searching online because im having the same problem as sirrah1979. I have the same exact home theatre system and have an optical audio cable coming from the TV to the optical in on the receiver. What is a little confusing is that multiple people have said that the optical out is of no use. My cable box is using HDMI as is my bluray player. I can get surround from the cable box but when I switch inputs on the home theatre system to the bluray input no sound is present. What is even more confusing is that when I pull the optical cable while on the cable source the sound doesnt work anymore. Can anyone explain this?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Hi all,

I have to chime in here - my father-in-law purchased the HTR 6230 to use with his LG LCD LED TV, PS3, cable box and Roku Player. I spent quite a bit of time consolidating everything into the receiver before discovering that the HTR 6230 DOES NOT decode HDMI audio. No way around it.

Here's the work around that I found, and it is truly a work around, not a viable solution -

Connect all AV devices into the TV, run a single optical out into the DTV optical in. There are only two optical ins for the 6230, and only the DTV optical input will attempt to decode surround sound. You then can swap around your TV inputs to get sound piped to the receiver.

This works. It ain't pretty, and certainly is not ideal. If you are stuck with this receiver though, it's probably your best bet.

I'm going to try returning this receiver because I think it's absurd to offer HDMI inputs without full HDMI functionality. But that's just me as a consumer wanting technology that's actually worthwhile.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Hook the digital optical cable from the PS3 into the Yamaha's CD digital optical input. Connect the HDMI out from the PS3 to the Yamaha's DVD HDMI input. Connect the HDMI output from the Yamaha into the HDMI input of your TV. This should allow you to view the video when you click DVD and hear audio out of your speakers when you click CD. Its not an ideal setup but the only way that it seems to work for me.

The issue I have is that I can't seem to figure out why my rear surround sound speakers do not work.

Initially when I setup the AV reciever I was getting audio from all channels. I ran a test and found that each channel would produce a static noise that indicated that it was recieving a signal.

Today I was playing a game and realized that the rear surround sound speakers are not working. When i went to the test there was no static sound generated on the rear channels.

I checked speaker settings under the manual setup and the surround speakers are not turned off.

The rear speakers are connected through a rocket fish and the rocket fish is working. I can't figure out what setting needs to change.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM

It's easy. Reassign the audio inputs. Here's how:

Hook your PS3 to your AV receiver with both and HDMI and an optical. Put HDMI into (1)DVD and the optical into (3)CD. Now, the receiver is preprogramed with (1)DVD assigned to a coaxial. So now you must reassign it. Turn on the unit, and using the remote, press AMP and then press MENU. Instead of AUTO SETUP, scroll to MANUAL SETUP. Select 2INPUT MENU, then select INPUT ASSIGN. Change IN(1) from DVD to CD (or whatever you're not using). Change IN(3) to DVD. Hit RETURN to exit out. And you're done!

Mine works wonderfully now. The PS3 and blurays sound amazing! Hope that helps!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page