HTiB connection question; each component thru tv->receiver, or to receiver direct? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm getting an Onkyo 3200, and was wondering if there's any difference, in terms of quality, between the following 2 hookup methods:

1) X360, PS3 and HD DVR with HDMI going to the TV for video (see pass-thru on the 3200), and audio (optical for the game systems, coax or RCA for the DVR) going directly to the receiver, or

2) everything to the TV, (game systems via HDMI, DVR via optical or HDMI, whatever direct TV has), and the TV to the receiver via optical

Basically, do you lose any quality going through the HDTV (panasonic G10) to the receiver, instead of hooking them up individually?

I've seen similar questions posed before, with no one answering, so I'll cross my fingers. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If you run everything into the TV first the 5.1 signal going out to the receiver will downmix to 2.0 or 2.1, usually. Only the TV's internal tuner will output 5.1. Connect all of the audio into the receiver first to get 5.1 for your movies/games/TV.

You can also connect all of the HDMI cables to the receiver and just have one HDMI going out to the TV for video...the receiver just acts as a switch in this case. The video input on the TV would remain the same and you'd just switch the inputs on the receiver. Otherwise you should have a good universal remote because, if you're connecting all the HDMI cables to the TV, you'll need to switch the input on the TV and you'll have to switch the input on the receiver as well. That would get confusing with only the factory remotes.

You're cutting it close with the inputs on the 3200 and the components you have...are you sure you won't have something else in the future?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, that's good to know. As far as the 3200, I agree about the inputs, however i've had trouble finding a well rated HTiB that's 5.1 (I can't do 6.1 or 7.1 right now because of my apartment layout) with better connections, although if anyone knows a better HTiB, I'm open to suggestions
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Get a 7.1 and leave off the rear two speakers. The receiver can be adjusted to 5.1, and you can use the extra speakers in zone two or throw them up on Craigslist.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Forgive my ineptitude, but I didn't know you could switch a 7.1 system to 5.1; this means I could upgrade to the onkyo 5200 (my preferred HiTB); is it clear how to switch to 5.1? I imagine it's not just as easy as leaving the 2 rear speakers unhooked. Thanks for the info, appreciated as always
post #6 of 7 Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I just downloaded the manual for the 5200, which states that switching speakers A and B on will turn off the rear surround speakers, converting speaker set A to 5.1. If this is true, it wouldn't matter if speaker set B (2-channel speakers), and the rear surround speakers weren't actually plugged in, would it?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
You could do that, or go into the audio menu and turn off the "surround back" speakers permanently. Might also make the surround modes work better, too. But it's a simple, 10 second (if that) adjustment.

As far as I know, any 7.1 system can be set up like that. Definitely all the Onkyos.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page