How To Connect Sony HDX-285 to Directv HD Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the hdx-285 only has ONE HDMI output which I will use to go from Sony receiver to TV. The hdx285 has no hdmi inputs which is a bummer bc i would like to connect an hdmi cable from the HD receiver to the Sony receiver but it won't work bc if no hdmi inputs on the 285. What is the best possible way to connect my directv HD receiver to my hdx285 to my HDTV for the best experience???? Something tells me to use optical audio in some way but I found another problem with that. The optical audio on my directv receiver is an OUTPUT AND my optical audio on my 285 an OUTPUT so how do I get around that????

I am so confused, can someone offer me advice how to connect all three of these together????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed932 View Post

I am so confused, can someone offer me advice how to connect all three of these together????

i thought that the 285 had optical in

connect component cables from your receiver to your TV, and your tv should have an optical out. run an optical cable from your TV to the sony
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Wait. I don't think my tv has an optical audio port. It's the samsung ln52b550. And I wanted to use the HDMI out from the Sony to the tv not component. I'm still confused how I can get this to work. I apologize
post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Wait. I believe it does according to http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...etail&tab=spec

It says optical link - yes

if you could give me a simple instructions on how to hook all 3 up I'd appreciate it. I didn't quite understand your last post. Thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Since your receiver has no HDMI In, this means no way for you to get audio AND video routed through that receiver from your Dtv box.

Therefore, you'll have to run cables(preferably HDMI or component) for the video portion, from your Dtv hi def box output directly to your TV's HDMI or component input.

For the audio, run an digital optical or digital coaxial cable from your Dtv box output to your surround receiver's input. Which one you run will depend on which kind of output that Dtv box has, it could have one or both.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 07:36 AM

there should be a digital audio out (optical) label on the back of your tv. my port has a little red glow to it.

if you want to use HDMI from the receiver to your TV go for it. i only said that b/c my cable box usually won't work with HDMI so cable company uses components.

HDMI from cable box to TV
optical audio from TV to sony receiver

pretty sure that's all you would need. go into your tv settings and turn the internal speaker off.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

K I understand it a bit better. However...

I can pretty much conclude that I need an HDMI cable from DTV to my HDTV (both u and highdefdrifter said it)

however u 2 have different steps for the optical.

Highdefdrifter says to connect and optical audio cable from THE DTV to THE Sony receiver

YOU say to connect an optical audio cable FROM the TV to the Sony Receiver

who is right lol?????

I'm kind of thinking I need a 3rd connection to make a triangle between the 3. You and highdefdrifter say I only need two connections.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM

ah yeah i like his idea better. for video to the TV use HDMI cable from the DTV to the TV

for audio use an optical cable from the DTV to the Sony

you won't need a 3rd connection cause the Sony isn't outputting anything to the TV. it's taking the sound from the DTV and dispersing it through it's speakers.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page