New to the forum, help me build a home theater sound system for my room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to build a home theater system in my bedroom (11.5x10.5ft), but I know very little about home theater systems and such. Could somebody recommend me parts? I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 total (for everything I'd need) - but I don't want absolutely overkill for my not so large room. I will need some wall mountability (even if I have to buy the wall mounts separately).

The source primarily will be a PS3 for Blu Ray and gaming. I was thinking 7.1, but if 5.1 sounds better within the price range, then I'd rather get the better sounding system. I don't want to buy a home theater in a box, because I know these probably aren't the best if you're willing to mix and match parts.

So guys, can you help me out? Home theaters in a box or mix-and-match, I'll do whatever it takes.

EDIT: And I have a question. I'll want to use HDMI right? If I use HDMI from my PS3 to my receiver, and then another HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV, will there be *ANY* input lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post

I want to build a home theater system in my bedroom (11.5x10ft), but I know very little about home theater systems and such. Could somebody recommend me parts? I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 total (for everything I'd need) - but I don't want absolutely overkill for my not so large room. I will need some wall mountability (even if I have to buy the wall mounts separately).

The source primarily will be a PS3 for Blu Ray and gaming. I was thinking 7.1, but if 5.1 sounds better within the price range, then I'd rather get the better sounding system. I don't want to buy a home theater in a box, because I know these probably aren't the best if you're willing to mix and match parts.

So guys, can you help me out?

EDIT: And I have a question. I'll want to use HDMI right? If I use HDMI from my PS3 to my receiver, and then another HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV, will there be *ANY* input lag?

You need speakers and a receiver only?
post #3 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't try to cram 7.1 in a small room like that.

I think the Energy RC-Mini would be a cool little speaker for a small room.
Take a look at 4 of these -> http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...energy-rc-mini
one of these - > http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...rgy-rc-mini-cc
And a sub - > http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...product=ESW-V8

It might come out to slightly over $1k with a $300 receiver but I think it would be a nice little system.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

You need speakers and a receiver only?

I have a PS3 and a TV. I need everything and anything that would get me up and running with a decent sounding system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits View Post

I wouldn't try to cram 7.1 in a small room like that.

I think the Energy RC-Mini would be a cool little speaker for a small room.
Take a look at 4 of these -> http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...energy-rc-mini
one of these - > http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...rgy-rc-mini-cc
And a sub - > http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...product=ESW-V8

It might come out to slightly over $1k with a $300 receiver but I think it would be a nice little system.

Looks very nice. Would it work with surround sound just fine?
post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, you'd just need a receiver though. Maybe an Onkyo HT-RC160 from Newegg or Amazon for $330 - there's pobably some comparable receivers at the same price from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harman Kardon...

They are smallish speakers but they might do well in a small room. Search around the speaker section and participate in some of the discussions over there - you might get some other ideas or a better idea about what might be best for you in your room. The RC-Mini has a real wood veneer so the finish is nice...if you like them there's a thread dedicated to Energy and the folks are friendly.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a PS3 and a TV. I need everything and anything that would get me up and running with a decent sounding system.

Looks very nice. Would it work with surround sound just fine?

How about a Denon AVR1610 paired with the Energy take 5 speaker system. That is pretty closse to your budget without being a home theater in a box.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How about a Denon AVR1610 paired with the Energy take 5 speaker system. That is pretty closse to your budget without being a home theater in a box.

I've been hearing a lot about the Energy take 5 system. They look excellent and are high up on my list. Are they as good as I'm hearing about?

EDIT: And from what I'm seeing, the system goes for $200-300 on ebay. I could definitely fit this and a nice receiver into my budget.

EDIT 2: After further thought, those RC Mini's flat out look sexy. For a moment I was worried that I wouldn't really get the "movie surround sound experience" with 5.1. But then again I've always been a fan of bookshelf-type speakers over satellites (bookshelf never fails at providing a full, lifelike sound). And they come with a wall mount right? If that's the case, I don't think I could possibly resist!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been hearing a lot about the Energy take 5 system. They look excellent and are high up on my list. Are they as good as I'm hearing about?

EDIT: And from what I'm seeing, the system goes for $200-300 on ebay. I could definitely fit this and a nice receiver into my budget.

EDIT 2: After further thought, those RC Mini's flat out look sexy. For a moment I was worried that I wouldn't really get the "movie surround sound experience" with 5.1. But then again I've always been a fan of bookshelf-type speakers over satellites (bookshelf never fails at providing a full, lifelike sound). And they come with a wall mount right? If that's the case, I don't think I could possibly resist!

With the Take 5, it's the sub woofer that does the heavy lifting. You set the crossover to about 120hz and you get amazing dynamic range that kind of creates an audibl illusion that those satellites are covering that whole frequency range. Couple that with the Denon 1610 and the PS3 and you have a more than respectable home theater.

5.1 done right is more than adequete for a good home cinema experience.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With the Take 5, it's the sub woofer that does the heavy lifting. You set the crossover to about 120hz and you get amazing dynamic range that kind of creates an audibl illusion that those satellites are covering that whole frequency range. Couple that with the Denon 1610 and the PS3 and you have a more than respectable home theater.

5.1 done right is more than adequete for a good home cinema experience.

Would you recommend the Take 5 over the RC Minis? Any superior alternatives?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would you recommend the Take 5 over the RC Minis? Any superior alternatives?

I would say them iminis will handle more dynamic shifts better than the Take 5's, they are rated up to 150 watts.

Pardigm and NHT have well made affordable speakers. Try shopping on Audiogon for some slightly used models. You can save a lot of money there.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would say them iminis will handle more dynamic shifts better than the Take 5's, they are rated up to 150 watts.

Pardigm and NHT have well made affordable speakers. Try shopping on Audiogon for some slightly used models. You can save a lot of money there.

With my experience I don't know what to look for in home theater speakers, could you point me out on some models?

Still looking for more alternatives or options if anyone has any.

RC-Minis is on the top of my list but the system is expensive!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page