want to hook up xbox360, ps3, wii, and cable TV to surround - how? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey all -

so all i wanna do is hook up my 360, ps3, wii, and cable TV so it ALL plays in surround sound - what's the simplest way to do this?

i'm not an audiophile - i live in a small apartment. i just want decent surround sound for my gaming and movie watching. if something's only supposed to come out of the left speaker, i only want it coming out of the left speaker.

please help! thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

A little more detail please....

What kind of TV do you have?
Do you have a receiver and speakers? If so, what kind?
If not, you need a receiver and speakers. How much can you spend?
How small is your apartment? Measurements like 10' x 10', for example.
post #3 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You need an inexpensive (read not cheap) HTIB (home theater in a box). You would connect all components to the main receiver and after its configured it would automatically select Dolby Digital 5.1 for dvd's,ps3,360 etc. Wii and cable tv viewing would automatically default to the Dolby Prologic II setting.
post #4 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have a Sony Bravia with two HDMI in's and an optical out

Currently the PS3 and digitial cable go into HDMI while the 360 goes into the HD/DVD in

I don't have a receiver, speakers, anything. I'm starting from scratch.

The living room is about 10 x 10 I'd say. It's an apartment, so booming sound is not important. And I'm not an audiophile by any means.

I was hoping that this was possible to do via HTIB. But the more I research, the more I get confused.

Also, can't stand cords running everywhere so "wireless" rear speakers would be awesome.

Let's say my budget is $600 for now...
post #5 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

You need an inexpensive (read not cheap) HTIB (home theater in a box). You would connect all components to the main receiver and after its configured it would automatically select Dolby Digital 5.1 for dvd's,ps3,360 etc. Wii and cable tv viewing would automatically default to the Dolby Prologic II setting.

might you recommend one? and i thought HTIB didn't have a receiver, which was the problem.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Look at HTIB's from Yamaha and Onkyo. They come with decent receivers.
post #7 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Look at HTIB's from Yamaha and Onkyo. They come with decent receivers.

would this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3200...1477091&sr=8-1

i'm confused about HDMI pass thru - that's a good thing for me?

sorry - i know it's probably like talking with an 8 year old here - i'm just totally clueless on the audio front

thanks!
post #8 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes that would work. Obviously being a lower end model it wont upconvert video signals. HDMI passthrough sends an audio/video signal via HDMI to your tv when the receiver is in standby mode.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Right on...

There's a nice little combo deal on Energy Take speakers and a Polk subwoofer here -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.309853
The Take speakers would be great for a small room. The Polk sub probably isn't the best in the world but I think it would do fine for you. Do a search for reviews, it's a very popular set of speakers. You probably can't really let loose with too much bass in an apartment anyway...

Then look for a Pioneer VSX-519V-K -> http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-51.../dp/B001U6YGN0
It looks like you can preorder it from Amazon or you should be able to find it somewhere else for the same price. It has enough power for those Takes and has some decent features.

If you really want to spend more money then spend a few bucks more for a receiver with more features. I think the Onkyo 507 or RC-160, look at Yamaha, Denon, Harman Kardon too if you want.

If you want wireless then pick up a Rocketfish for 100 bucks. Here's a review -> http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ar-speaker-kit
It's not ideal...read the review, but those Energy Take surround speakers aren't power hungry and would probably do fine with the Rocketfish. It buy that one from Best Buy so you could easily return it if your not happy with it or it doesn't work right.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes that would work. Obviously being a lower end model it wont upconvert video signals. HDMI passthrough sends an audio/video signal via HDMI to your tv when the receiver is in standby mode.

i think i'm gonna go for this - so cheap. so i hook everything up to the back of the receiver and then run an hdmi from the receiver to the TV, right?

not sure what you mean by it won't upconvert video signals? when i play a blu-ray on my ps3, it'll look just how it should, right? and will it still upconvert dvds?
post #11 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits View Post

It might be OK but I really think an extra $80 gets you better speakers and a receiver with better features. For one the Pioneer can handle the audio from your PS3 if you let it do the decoding, you can get HD audio via LPCM. Second, the Pioneer has a subwoofer pre-out so you can always use a powered sub - the Onkyo 3200 is always stuck with that passive sub.

The Onkyo 3200 is just such a basic package with very few features.

Although the receiver doesn't have the most recent codecs I'm sure he can set his ps3 to pcm output and enjoy all the benefits of lossless audio.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangesodakid View Post

i think i'm gonna go for this - so cheap. so i hook everything up to the back of the receiver and then run an hdmi from the receiver to the TV, right?

not sure what you mean by it won't upconvert video signals? when i play a blu-ray on my ps3, it'll look just how it should, right? and will it still upconvert dvds?

It might be OK but I really think an extra $80 gets you better speakers and a receiver with better features. For one the Pioneer can handle the audio from your PS3 if you let it do the decoding, you can get HD audio via LPCM. Second, the Pioneer has a subwoofer pre-out so you can always use a powered sub – the Onkyo 3200 is always stuck with that passive sub.

The Onkyo 3200 is just such a basic package with very few features.

Especially with speakers, the lack of reviews can be the most telling. There are no professional reviews of the 3200.
Here are a few of the Energy speakers from a quick search:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...classic-review
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...ke_classic.htm
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...ers/608energy/
http://www.ecoustics.com/ah/reviews/...classic-review
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...er-system.html
post #13 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Icky you make a good point that I just verified reading the Onkyo user manual. You CANNOT get HD audio with this Onkyo HTIB. This unfortunately is a deal breaker and not recommended. Icky has some good suggestions and I will also see what I can find that won't break the bank.

post #14 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You ended up there because I deleted my post so I didn't have that "last edited by..."

Quote:

Although the receiver doesn't have the most recent codecs I'm sure he can set his ps3 to pcm output and enjoy all the benefits of lossless audio.

It's also on the overview page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo View Post

Special Features
Total 660W with a Powerfull 8-inch Subwoofer
Three 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.3a Pass-Thru*)
4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level

* separate audio connection required

post #15 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

So what other entry level receivers decode pcm over hmdi? The energy pkg is nice but I agree with the sub. When's the last time Polk made a decent sub?
post #16 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Off the top of my head I think only entry level Pioneer and maybe Sony do that, at least in that price range. Denon 590 is entry level but not priced like the Pioneer.

It's hard to get excited about Polk subs but they might make some decent ones...but then you could get so much more for whatever that price would be. I don't know though, I think it would be fine for the OP in an apartment. I'm sure it would at least fill in what the Takes can't handle. I've never heard that combo though...
post #17 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just reading some of the reviews, trying to convince the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post

The typical Home Theater in a Box system offered at the big box stores will set you back between $500 - $1000. With that you generally get a combo receiver/DVD player, a powered sub, and 5 crummy (typically plastic) speakers. Let me suggest that you could spend $1000 on a system anchored by the (MSRP) $599 Energy Take Classic speaker system and come out MUCH better. Add an entry level receiver from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer and a $99 DVD player, and you will be in business - and much happier with the results.

Energy is known for manufacturing quality loudspeakers, and the Take Classic speaker system is no exception. The real surprise here is the pricing. It is priced right and packed with value that raises the bar for the competition.

The prices are off, reflecting MSRP, but you get the point.
post #18 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Off the top of my head I think only entry level Pioneer and maybe Sony do that, at least in that price range. Denon 590 is entry level but not priced like the Pioneer.

It's hard to get excited about Polk subs but they might make some decent ones...but then you could get so much more for whatever that price would be. I don't know though, I think it would be fine for the OP in an apartment. I'm sure it would at least fill in what the Takes can't handle. I've never heard that combo though...

i'm convinced. gonna head to bestbuy today to take a look at some stuff. i'm a "buy it now" guy - even if it costs me a little more.

how's this one look? it's in stock: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...&skuId=9245471
post #19 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

uppin' this - sorry. want to run to best buy today and get it hooked up!

how does that one i look posted? can i basically not go wrong with any receiver over $400?
post #20 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha is good, I like them.

If you're up in that range also take a look at the Onkyo 507 and Denon AVR-590 and AVR-1610. Those two have some nice Audyssey features you might like. Go to the Audyssey website and read about DynamicEQ, Dynamic Volume, and 2EQ & MultiEQ. For an apartment I think the Dynamic EQ might be useful if you need to keep it down at night as it optimizes fro low volume listening. Those Audyssey features really set them apart from the Yamaha...
post #21 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

haha ok here's my final plan, i think - tell me how this sounds:

this receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507...1513263&sr=1-2

these speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg...1513107&sr=1-2

and whatever i need to make two of the satellites wireless

thoughts???

thanks everyone!!!
post #22 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:

haha ok here's my final plan, i think - tell me how this sounds:

this receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507...1513263&sr=1-2

these speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg...1513107&sr=1-2

and whatever i need to make two of the satellites wireless

thoughts???

thanks everyone!!!

You really need a sub with the Synergys. They are good speakers though.
post #23 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 View Post

You really need a sub with the Synergys. They are good speakers though.

i was thinking i might be alright since i'm in an apartment and don't blast the sound
post #24 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I don’t have a good internet connection right now so I can’t look into too much for you but it doesn’t look like that one does the HD audio thing. It does have Audyssey but it’s $50 more than the Pioneer…it’s kind of in a grey area with some good stuff and lacking some good stuff but more expensive – if that makes sense.

Any of these satellite speakers need a sub. You can turn the level down so it doesn't thump too much but the little speakers will be a lot better with one.
post #25 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't have a good internet connection right now so I can't look into too much for you but it doesn't look like that one does the HD audio thing. It does have Audyssey but it's $50 more than the Pioneerit's kind of in a grey area with some good stuff and lacking some good stuff but more expensive - if that makes sense.

Any of these satellite speakers need a sub.

damn! i thought this was the one.

hmmm - i don't totally understand the HD audio thing. how important is it?

the pioneer isn't out yet and i'd really like to order this ASAP.

haha how about you just show me on amazon which one to get when you get a spare second? lol

thanks all!
post #26 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM

I do not have a home theater yet but I've been looking around to purchase soon myself. I can't help with a recommendation based on experience...

The 507 does decode audio via HDMI.
I do not believe it will do format conversion (composite/component to HDMI out) though. If this is true then you would just have to change the input on your TV to get the video for the Wii in addition to changing input on receiver.

The 607 model has format conversion and UpConversion to 1080i, 5 HDMI rear inputs and 1 front HDMI input (HD Camcorder). It also adds DPL IIz which may be cool for gaming with 7.1 (DPL IIz for 7.1 setup is 5.1 with 2 surrounds above the fronts on the ceiling). Here's a review hometheatermagDOTcom/receivers/onkyo_tx-sr607_av_receiver/

Both are a good price from amazon. The 507 is one of the least expensive receivers that do decode audio from HDMI. I've looked around quite a bit recently as I'm fixing to purchase something soon on a low budget and this is a requirement for me as well.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

hmmm - i don't totally understand the HD audio thing. how important is it?

It's not critical, IMO, but most report it's a step up from the legacy Dolby Digital and DTS codecs which are on DVDs.

It depends on if you want to get it now and not upgrade later, or if you want to go cheaper now and upgrade down the line. I wouldn't expect an OMG THIS IS AMAZING difference from just the HD audio, though. If you upgrade some other stuff, it might.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #28 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 PM

It's also a convenience not having to run separate cables for audio.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page