Bose V30 & PS3 in PS2 Compatibility Mode Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an original PS3 connected to by HDMI to a Bose V30 which is connected by HDMI to a Panasonic TH-50PZ81B. This has worked well for many months (and for what it's worth I have been very happy with the V30). Today I tried to play a PS2 game, and the image will not display properly, as pictured. (The menu is to show the HDMI connection.) No settings on the PS3, TV, or V30 seem to change this. I have bypassed the Bose and the image displays correctly if direct from PS3 to TV. I have also tried a spare HDMI cable, showing that the problem occurs if the picture is sent through the V30. I have made no changes to my set-up, although Sony does provide software updates from time to time. Interestingly, the problem seems not simply to be upscaling because DVD's play just fine - it is only PS2 games where this is happening. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen or what (presumably obscure!) setting needs to be checked?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 PM

I have a similar setup and I have the exact same problem.

Bose V30
PS3
Panasonic TH-58PZ600

Ever since I upgraded to PS3 firmware 3.15, I cannot get video for any of my PS2 games through the Bose system, although I do get audio. PS3 games work just fine. When I plug the PS3 directly into my TV using an HDMI cable, I get video and sound just fine with both PS3 and PS2 games.

It seems that the firmware update has caused some sort of video incompatibility issue. We need to make them aware of this so they can fix it in the next update, because before this update, everything worked just fine for me.

If you find a work around, let me know.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsardaukar View Post

I have a similar setup and I have the exact same problem.

Bose V30
PS3
Panasonic TH-58PZ600

Ever since I upgraded to PS3 firmware 3.15, I cannot get video for any of my PS2 games through the Bose system, although I do get audio. PS3 games work just fine. When I plug the PS3 directly into my TV using an HDMI cable, I get video and sound just fine with both PS3 and PS2 games.

It seems that the firmware update has caused some sort of video incompatibility issue. We need to make them aware of this so they can fix it in the next update, because before this update, everything worked just fine for me.

If you find a work around, let me know.

I am sure I tried this before, but I fixed it by turning off PS/PS2 upscaling and smoothing in /Settings/Game Settings. Once I had turned it off, PS2 games played fine. I was also able to turn the same settings back on and games still played fine. Something about forcing the Bose to process the video differently seems to have fixed it. All unsatisfyingly random, but it does work for me now. Hope that helps anyone else affected.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

For what its worth you were actually better off keeping the AVR bypassed because the TV will do a better job at the ADC, from coaxial to HDMI, then the receiver; Partly because the TV will still need to upscale the image to the native resolution.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page