Is HT-SS370 replacement for HT-SS360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at the HT-SS360, which is on sale at Best Buy.

I found this on the Sony Style website: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666077692

I hate that they refer to it as a Blu-Ray Disc Surround System when there isn't a Blu-Ray player included.

Is this the newest version? Could that be why Best Buy has the SS360 on sale?

Haven't had much time to compare the two to see what improvements there are. Didn't see OSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
you are right about one thing, Sony could not be any more vague or obtuse about the specifications for this unit. While it will handle audio over HDMI, it does not decode the lossless HD audio codecs - the player must do that and output the decoded 5.1 audio as linear PCM over HDMI. The Sony PS3 does that, I don't have a clue about other blu-ray players, Sony included.

It is really sad to see a company which was once a true powerhouse in consumer audio and video rapidly destroy it's reputation with mediocre products, deceptive advertising, and terrible customer support. Very sad !
post #3 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM

I too almost picked up the ss360 about two weeks ago. It was on sale at Fry's for $250. After researching Sony Style website I saw that the ss370 was coming out this month (already available through website). My wife likes it because she hates speaker wires and this one is s-air ready (somewhat wireless). The only question I have is I liked the ss360 model because it included 3 analog audio inputs for older legacy type AV products. The new ss370 model site states in specs that it also has 3 analog inputs, but when you download the user manual, it only shows 2 analog inputs. One for TV and another for SACD/CD. I get around this by adding an AV multiswitch, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the clean new look... Which one is correct? I'm guessing the manual is and they made a mistake in the specs page...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077692#additionalImage1"
post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM

It doesn't come with the S-Air equipment from what I can tell so you would still have to buy that.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the back of this unit that they can share? I'd like to see the connections and whatnot.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigser View Post

It doesn't come with the S-Air equipment from what I can tell so you would still have to buy that.

That's why I said ready...

My wife likes it because she hates speaker wires and this one is s-air ready (somewhat wireless).
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

You can see it in the manual that's at sonystyle.com
post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM

I went to our local Sony Style store to maybe catch a glimpse of the new model. But the sales rep told me they didn't have it yet. The manual is probably the final say and what is written in the specs sheet on the website is probably incorrect.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-05-2010, 01:59 PM

I got mine a few days ago, I fully set it up and I'm liking it a lot. I had to get a Home theater in a box because my place is a bit small.

However, set up was easy, it came with a auto cal mic that handled the set up. I was going to get the ss360, but the 370 is better looking. All the speakers have a nice glossy finish and sub is a floor firing sub. It also comes with 11 sound fields, such as sports, news and game.

It also decodes some HD audio formats. I'm just need to figure out how to make my Blu ray player manage the audio decoding.

Video games sound realistic, I can tell where side gun fire is coming from and can hear enemy foot steps. Good purchase.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick22587 View Post

I got mine a few days ago, I fully set it up and I'm liking it a lot. I had to get a Home theater in a box because my place is a bit small.

However, set up was easy, it came with a auto cal mic that handled the set up. I was going to get the ss360, but the 370 is better looking. All the speakers have a nice glossy finish and sub is a floor firing sub. It also comes with 11 sound fields, such as sports, news and game.

It also decodes some HD audio formats. I'm just need to figure out how to make my Blu ray player manage the audio decoding.

Video games sound realistic, I can tell where side gun fire is coming from and can hear enemy foot steps. Good purchase.

My Best Buy just changed out the display from the 360 to the 370. I was able to get the 360 for $150.00 less than retail, which will go very nicely in my little den.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigser View Post

Is it possible to use the Rocketfish RF-WHTIB instead of Sony's system? I noticed that the wireless rear amp for the WHTIB outputs at 4 ohms minimum while Sony's speakers are 3 ohms...would that be a major issue at decent volume levels? I'm in an apartment and can't blare speakers too loud anyway.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

While it will handle audio over HDMI, it does not decode the lossless HD audio codecs - the player must do that and output the decoded 5.1 audio as linear PCM over HDMI. The Sony PS3 does that, I don't have a clue about other blu-ray players, Sony included.

Most Sony BD players are capable of doing this over HDMI. I'm not sure about the BDP-Sx00 generation but from the Sx50 generation the S350 could do it but only for TrueHD and not for DTS-HD; the S550 could do everything including analog output. After that the S360, S460, S560, and S760, could all do decoding to LPCM over HDMI (with only the S760 capable of analog output).

Not sure about the ES models but I'd imagine all of them could too.

The PS3 OTOH must do the decoding because it can't pass a bitstream. Well the new Slim ones can but the older "fat" PS3s can't do bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA, only decode them to LPCM over HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

It is really sad to see a company which was once a true powerhouse in consumer audio and video rapidly destroy it's reputation with mediocre products, deceptive advertising, and terrible customer support. Very sad !

This started to happen over a decade ago though, it's not really a surprise anymore!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page