NEW Release! Onkyo HT-S5300...Any Good? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 784 Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this system for a few weeks now and am very happy with it. They've sounded great on everything I've used so far. It's my first ht system at all and I was really focusing on something that would get me a full receiver with a complete speaker system that i could upgrade I'm the future and this really fit the bill.

I was a little disappointed to learn that there is practically no 7.1 content available, so I've decided to set up my system with front high surrounds. I have a question about the setup though. On the back there is the rear surround hookups that are labeled front high, and then the zone 2 hookups are also labeled front high.

Since I mow this receiver isn't supposed to be able to handle rear surrounds and front highs, I'm just a little curious as to where I should hook up those front highs. Should I plug it in the rear surround plugs or the zone 2 plugs or does it even matter. I like the idea of plugging it in the zone 2 plugs so that my wife could listen to mimic through her iPhone while I watch tv on mute so I'm hoping that it doesn't make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 784 Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 PM

I don't think it matters which one you use. You just have to make sure the hardware settings menu matches which one you used.
post #453 of 784 Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepelutivruski4 View Post

Attachment 175112

Attachment 175113

Attachment 175114

so my HT 5300 is up and running and i took some quick pics and put them up.

if u look closely on the reflection of the TV, you'll see i have no pants on.

my review so far of this HTiB would probably be a 4.5 out of 10. yeah you get what you pay for and for $500 this is still a steal.

music sounds absolutely terrible. low mids are absent and there is no articulation in percussion and thus it all lacks energy.
i did some tweaking and i got it to sound reasonable. by tweaking i mean i switched the front 2 speakers to some Ushers that are together more expensive than the entire HTiB. I then used the provided front speakers and placed them as the side-surround speakers which get more use from 5.1 than the rear-surround channel.
Classical music sounds OK, Rock music is horrible, Electronic music is tolerable at best. well i should say that guitars and Synth sound pretty good. distorted guitars have great bite. i won't go too far into this because this isn't why i chose to invest in the Onkyo HT5300. However if you want this for music you've already wasted too much time even putting the thought of this HTiB in your head.

if u have any questions; don't hesitate

I play tons of video games, and movies and that is why i wanted this. In this department i am overwhelmed with joy. I've put in a few video games and movies that support lossless 7.1... just the thought of the things i've heard puts a big grin on my face. i may have reviewed it a bit too harsh.

again any questions in regards to my experiences or what i've used to benchmark the lossless 7.1 i would be more than happy to answer.

also, if u have any suggestions on how i can get my music to sound less stuffy and bring out more articulation in percussions(including latin jazz piano ) please please suggest.

i have listened to everything from compressed codecs to 24/96 lossless from ipod and that media server next to the sub. and it all lines up the same for me.

Thanks for sharing pictures.
Great job.
post #454 of 784 Old 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM

hey all,
little off topic but does anyone know if any of the same problems mentioned in this thread occur in the HT-S6200? It's currently on sale and is only $30 more than the HT-S5300 so I figure if it performs a little better def. worth it. I'd really like to do anything possible to avoid having to ship the receiver back as soon as I open it. Thanks in advance.
post #455 of 784 Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The 6200 used an older signal processor.
post #456 of 784 Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Just a note, I've sent my receiver back in to get the firmware update. I had it for a couple weeks and watched 3 blu-ray movies and the video went blank for a couple seconds in 2 of the 3 movies and then was fine the rest of the time. Watched a couple standard DVD's and not issues. All run through my slim PS3. I mentioned the video issue in my notes for the firmware update. The technician called me 3 times trying to repeat the issue and couldn't do it. At least they gave it a try. So I told him to go ahead and do the firmware update and I'll see if it occurs again. Should have it back in a week to do some more testing. Works great otherwise. Played many PS3 games with no issue and don't have a heat issue as its pretty much sitting on a table. I'll let you know if the firmware fixes anything on the video loss or if it re-occurs.
post #457 of 784 Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM

Does the Onkyo S5300 speakers sound good when watching tv shows?
Thanks.
post #458 of 784 Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Probably sounds about the same as movies. Depends on what you watch.

HTIB speakers are never stellar. The ones from Onkyo, Yamaha and the like are serviceable for some, especially over the really cheap HTIBs.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #459 of 784 Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM

All righty. Thanks.
post #460 of 784 Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Deleted
post #461 of 784 Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Anyone have this issue from the SUB?
Quote:

Subwoofer on/off
I saw this issue all the time on our initial subwoofer, and almost not at all on the replacement subwoofer. So I'm guessing it was a defective initial sub unit. But figured it was worth mentioning in case you got a lemon sub. I can set the receiver volume at (say) 30, and the sub is off, which is suppose to mean that the sub has no input signal to play. I can increase volume to 35, and the sub turns on. I can then decrease the volume back to 30 or even lower (now that I have forced the sub to turn on)... and can hear the sub producing bass sounds. So clearly there was signal being sent to the sub at that 30 volume, but the sub was (initially) ignoring it and staying off. I called Onkyo, and they said it was a defective subwoofer.

Coming from this review in Amazon.
post #462 of 784 Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM

I haven't, but the sub isn't on all the time especially if you use direct mode. The EQ modes tend to force the sub on by boosting or simulating the sub signal. You can also adjust the sub output DB on the receiver.
post #463 of 784 Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM

onkyo is giving me HORRIBLE customer service. I've called them multiple times trying to figure out where the hell my shipping box and label are and i keep getting the run around. Each time I call I get some depressed sounding csr who can't understand their own systems. I live in Canada and its the first thing I mention when I call. This seems to confuse them, I get transfered back and forth from tech support to customer service and no one can tell me for sure if a box has been sent or if they will send me one. One girl said she'd check with her manager if it was OK to send one because I live in Canada! How can they sell **** in Canada and have authorized dealers if they are totally incompetent and uneducated to provide the support! The support number is exactly the same for Canada and the U.S. so thats not the issue.
I like the system, but I want it fixed NOW! I'm tired of waiting and using band-aid methods to get my surrounds working properly. I'm started to really hate Onkyo. It will be the last time I buy any of their products. If some major failure should occur I'll probably just throw it in the garbage and take the loss.
post #464 of 784 Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Im looking into this same HTIB
post #465 of 784 Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 PM

ordered one on newegg on the 17th. it just got here today and yeah it needs a firmware update, checked the serial on onkyo's website. oh well at least i haven't set it up yet.

plus, my t.v. isn't coming till the 23'rd anyway. it'll give me some time to break in the new plasma.
post #466 of 784 Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Has anyone gotten Zone 2 working? I have Atrium 55 speakers connected to Zone 2 and for the life of me I can't get sound to them in Zone 2 mode. I've tested the speakers so I know they work. They even work as Front High through the same connection. But when I change to Zone 2 mode (in Hardware) I get no sound from the speakers. I've tried most of the modes as well as digital input (spdif). Am I missing something? I've set the Zone 2 source accordingly and made sure the sound was not muted. Ideas?

This was a highly anticipated feature for me. I ran speaker wires to the outside and mounted the speakers outside in hopes of being able to enjoy music on my deck... So far I'm disappointed as I've spent the last two days trying to figure it out.
post #467 of 784 Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Are the speakers hooked up to the zone 2 outputs on the receiver when you select zone 2 in hardware? That's the only thing I can think of. I think the manual also mentioned that zone 2 didn't work under a certain specific circumstance, but I don't remember what that was and the manual isn't nearby.
post #468 of 784 Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

Are the speakers hooked up to the zone 2 outputs on the receiver when you select zone 2 in hardware? That's the only thing I can think of. I think the manual also mentioned that zone 2 didn't work under a certain specific circumstance, but I don't remember what that was and the manual isn't nearby.

I have them connected to the "FRONT HIGH OR ZONE 2 SPEAKERS" connectors. Upon looking at the manual one more time I find that circumstance that you're referring to: "Only analog input sources are output by ZONE 2 LINE OUT and FRONT HIGH OR ZONE2 L/R speaker terminals. Digital input sources are not output." Wow, if I'm reading this correctly it means that in order for Zone 2 to work it has to be from an analog (RCA white/red) input source. This sucks. I was planning on using my Media Server connected through SPDIF to the receiver and be able to remotely control music from my deck.

Are there any Digital (SPDIF) to RCA adapters? I already ran a SPDIF cable from the server room to the family room so I would prefer this adapter instead of running another line (analog). Onkyo gets negatives from me for this...
post #469 of 784 Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Bought this onkyo 5300 from fryes about 2 weeks ago. I never got the surround swap problem but I did have problems with video and audio turning on and of while watching movies. Called onkyo support and not to much help. I liked the system but it was new and giving me problems already so I decided to return it. Ought, never buy @ fryes, their costumer service sucks...anyways, I returned it today and went to best buy and bought me the denon 591 with Boston speakers. I'm really happy with it so far. Haven't done all the setup yet, but I can already tell by the sound of it that is way better than the onkyo I just had. The speaker fill the room with clear crisp sound. IMO with this denon system u get more bang for the buck than whith the onkyo one and all it issues. Just my 2 cents...
post #470 of 784 Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Well I've had my 5300 for over a month now, and happily report that my initial "overheating" and "handshaking" problems have subsided. I used to use a fan to cool the system when I got flashing blue/white noise screens (worked immediately), but I now believe those were handshaking issues switching from 720p to 1080i to 720p. Haven't had a problem in 3 weeks now and I use the system 4 hours a day. I guess it just needed to be broken in!

Very happy with the purchase, would buy again.
post #471 of 784 Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM

This is on sale at amazon.com right now for $399. Wondering if it's a permanent price drop because I really really wanna bite right now but am afraid that it will need the firmware upgrade. Do all of the old models need the firmware upgrade? I really dont want to buy it and then send it off to get fixed.
post #472 of 784 Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM

I would guess it's not permanent since no other retailers are selling it that low, but who knows.

Speaking of the unit, I have seen occasional glitches with it such as black screen or no sound on input change, but switching inputs fixes that and it rarely happens.

My biggest problem with the system is not with the system, but with how I have the speakers set up. I have no room for the back channels so I put the surround channels in the back, but they are so high up that the sound bounces off the front wall which kind of kills the surround functionality.

I really need a better way of directing the speakers down towards where I'm sitting.
post #473 of 784 Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 AM

i snagged one from newegg for 399 and a couple of days later it jumped back up to 450. glad i bit when i did. also mine needs a firmware update as well, the way i see it better to get it out of the way before you start putting it together.

i'd jump on that amazon deal while it's there if i were you.
post #474 of 784 Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldirtdog View Post

i snagged one from newegg for 399 and a couple of days later it jumped back up to 450. glad i bit when i did. also mine needs a firmware update as well, the way i see it better to get it out of the way before you start putting it together.

i'd jump on that amazon deal while it's there if i were you.

Ya i had $100 in amazon credit so I bought it with some 16 gauge wire.

So how does the firmware upgrade work, you have to send it in to somewhere? Do they send you a box for it? How long am I looking at to get it back, a few days or weeks? Do you only send in the receiver?
post #475 of 784 Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Babalu- View Post

So how does the firmware upgrade work, you have to send it in to somewhere? Do they send you a box for it? How long am I looking at to get it back, a few days or weeks? Do you only send in the receiver?

The firmware update can only be done at a service center (dumb idea if you ask me). The way it worked for me was that I called in and they sent me a box and packing material to send the receiver (only) in. The packing material in my case wasn't shaped correctly for the 5300's receiver, but I managed to get it pretty well secured in the box.

Repair time was about a week not including shipping time. I would have got it back sooner but I wasn't home when UPS tried to deliver it on a Friday and it requires a signature so I had to wait till Monday.
post #476 of 784 Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM

On sale at amazon at the moment...
post #477 of 784 Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 PM

Can anyone comment on some good wall mounts for these speakers? I had my house wired when the basement was finished and just have the wires hanging out the sheet rock right now. On Amazon they have a set of 6 mounts that supposedly will work. Anyone know much about these or others?

6 Black Deluxe Universal Speaker Mounts / Brackets for Walls and Ceilings 1UP by AV Axis
post #478 of 784 Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM

are you guys saying, when you buy this HTiB System you have to directly send it in for a couple weeks to get a firmware update?????
post #479 of 784 Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM

YMMV, you can go to http://www.us.onkyo.com/002_firmware_replace.cfm and plug in the serial number for your unit (after registering of course) and it will say if you need a firmware update or not. if you do need an update they are supposed to send you a box and fed-ex shipping label so you can send the receiver back to them (been waiting about 5 days for the box and label btw).

i was kinda hoping i would get one that was already updated, but alas it wasn't meant to be. i haven't heard of anyone getting one that didn't need to be sent in but of course, you hardly ever hear from someone when things go right, lol.
post #480 of 784 Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM

The site says my receiver is in need of a firmware update, but mine doesn't sound like it has the left/right speaker problem. Is it supposed to be reversed all the time?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Speaker Systems , Onkyo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page