NEW Release! Onkyo HT-S5300...Any Good? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 784 Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone done the firmware update and had less issues with HDMI handshaking after the firmware update than they did before? Have a screwy Magnavox that doesn't like to talk to the receiver over my long HDMI run (~20ft) but it will talk to all 4 of my components (Cable, X360, HD-DVD, and Blu) individually if I bypass the receiver. So I have to use a shorter ~12ft that looks terrible because it is stretched taught, but it works. And even still it has weird handshaking issues. Noticed minimal ticking with the iPod dock, but that isn't a big deal, and never use PCM because everything is bitstreamed. So the only thing I'm looking to gain is less handshaking issues. Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

I'm thinking he's talking about the S3300, not the S5300.

Must be. I think the $299 deal on Amazon mentioned was the 3300 system which is 5.1. Not sure all the differences, but that one I see by tigerdirect in amazon for 299. The 7.1 HTS5300 is on sale for $400.
post #633 of 784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histreet View Post

Holy cow- WHERE??? I was going to get it for $400 (still listed at 599 at most places like tigerdirect)

I ordered a refurbished HT-S5300 for $260 shipped from Club Onkyo on Thanksgiving. Maybe that's what he meant. They also had the 3300 for ~$200. Both are sold out now.
post #634 of 784 Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Alright, so I'm a bit confused. After reading through this thread, it seems that some people have been showing that their new purchases still need the update, while others show that they don't need the update.

I checked with one of the serial numbers that was listed on the styrofoam that showed through the outside of the box, and it said that there was no update necessary. I then checked with the other serial number, and this time it said that there was an update. I just purchased this setup 3 days ago too! I would have figured they had this taken care of by now?

What confuses me though is in the thread, someone suggested using 300, with the intro with the lightning bolt and the moving streak of light, to determine whether or not it was having the problem. I used my PS3 Fatty, set it to Linear PCM. I then went to the Audio Setup, chose HDMI, and let it auto select all compatable formats. I think it was Dolby DTS, something else, and a huge sweep of Linear PCM formats. I then loaded up 300, selected the Linear PCM language from the Blu-ray's popup menu, and listened to the audio. It seemed to work exactly as expected.

Am I missing something? Has anyone received a false positive, where Onkyo states that there is an update, but the receiver already has the update? I'd hate to send the receiver in already to get it "upgraded", especially when I'm extremely OCD with my equipment, and would hate to get it back scratched up already!

Thanks!

**edit** I just checked the SN on the receiver itself, and it matches with the serial number that DOESN'T need an upgrade according to online. So why in the world would the other serial number that was on the styrofoam in the box show that it did, in fact, need an upgrade? The serial number that I saw was on a sticker on the rear of the receiver, towards the bottom.
post #635 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM

What is the deal with the surround channels reversed? Does that mean that the left/right surround channels are being output over the surround back channels?
post #636 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post

What is the deal with the surround channels reversed? Does that mean that the left/right surround channels are being output over the surround back channels?

It means that for the rear speakers the left channel sounds come out the right speaker and vice-versa.
post #637 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

That actually brings to question why mine may be telling me that it needs the "upgrade", but it doesn't sound like it does.

Does the PCM "swap issue" affect the Surround speakers, or the Surround Back speakers? I'm only hooked up usng 5.1, so I'm only using the Surround speakers. Would that possibly be the case?
post #638 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM

I think it affects both pairs of back speakers. I run in 5.1 mode and heard the problem until I had it fixed.
post #639 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Couldn't one just connect the left surround speaker to right surround on the receiver and do the same for the rear surrounds? Sounds like an easy fix? Just reverse them. Left to right and right to left.
post #640 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post

Couldn't one just connect the left surround speaker to right surround on the receiver and do the same for the rear surrounds? Sounds like an easy fix? Just reverse them. Left to right and right to left.

If all you use is PCM 5.1/7.1 that would work fine, but if you also use Dolby 5.1:7.1 or all stereo then you'd need to swap the speaker wires every time you switch between PCM 5.1/7.1 and other modes.
post #641 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

If all you use is PCM 5.1/7.1 that would work fine, but if you also use Dolby 5.1:7.1 or all stereo then you'd need to swap the speaker wires every time you switch between PCM 5.1/7.1 and other modes.

Yes good point.
post #642 of 784 Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 PM

Got this today! It's crazy, I called today for tracking info and they said it literally just left... guess it got here quick. Anyways I got it all setup around the room have a few questions.

1. I set this up to my PS3 to test it out. How do I know which formats are compatible? Also people keep talking about Linear PCM, what do I have to do about that?

2. Is it possible to change the volume of individual speakers? Also is there a way to calibrate these things properly? I'm very happy with the quality I've gotten out of them so far, but I know there's a lot more I can do to make it sound great.
post #643 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

Well "maxjive" said

"Since I don't use PCM on any devices, I'll never have to worry about it either"

And my PS3 will use PCM then I think the system will misbehave with me, right?

Yes, unless you A. get a newer version which has the firmware fix already or B. buy it and send it back to Onkyo for the firmware fix.
post #644 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

Well "maxjive" said

"Since I don't use PCM on any devices, I'll never have to worry about it either"

And my PS3 will use PCM then I think the system will misbehave with me, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by histreet View Post

Holy cow- WHERE??? I was going to get it for $400 (still listed at 599 at most places like tigerdirect)

I was also wondering how this compares to the Yamaha HTIB YHT393BL that has its own receiver with same HDMI inputs but is $300 or less? I know the Yamaha is half the watts and 5.1 but is that a $100 difference?

Noob question, sorry. For setup- PS3 and cable bo, (optical for sound, DVI output Moxi box with an HDMI cable for video with DVI adapeter but optical for sound) go to the HDMI input and the optical in and then one HDMI out to TV? I am just confused about how it works with the cable only having a DVI out and not HDMI. I know DVI doesn't do sound so I have no idea other than what I am describing unless I need the video cable bypassing the receiver going right to the TV.

Thanks

That's the difference, $100 more for 7.1 and twice the wattage. It only matters if you care about it. Most people watch tv with the tv speakers and it doesn't bother them one bit!
post #645 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_mckenz View Post

That actually brings to question why mine may be telling me that it needs the "upgrade", but it doesn't sound like it does.

Does the PCM "swap issue" affect the Surround speakers, or the Surround Back speakers? I'm only hooked up usng 5.1, so I'm only using the Surround speakers. Would that possibly be the case?

It's only the rear two (or front high depending on setup) 7.1 speakers that are affected, not 5.1 sides.
post #646 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshirtkyd View Post

Got this today! It's crazy, I called today for tracking info and they said it literally just left... guess it got here quick. Anyways I got it all setup around the room have a few questions.

1. I set this up to my PS3 to test it out. How do I know which formats are compatible? Also people keep talking about Linear PCM, what do I have to do about that?

set your PS3 to bitstream

2. Is it possible to change the volume of individual speakers? Also is there a way to calibrate these things properly? I'm very happy with the quality I've gotten out of them so far, but I know there's a lot more I can do to make it sound great.

Yes, it's in the audio setup which you can access through the menu using your remote. Your can assign both speaker distance (affects timing) and speak db (which affects volume).
post #647 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjive View Post

It's only the rear two (or front high depending on setup) 7.1 speakers that are affected, not 5.1 sides.

That's incorrect. I run my setup in 5.1 and the back two (the sides in this case) were swapped when using multi-channel LPCM until I got the firmware update.
post #648 of 784 Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjive View Post

Yes, it's in the audio setup which you can access through the menu using your remote. Your can assign both speaker distance (affects timing) and speak db (which affects volume).

Thanks man! I have a lot of calibrating to do, I'm new to all of this, but it sounds amazing!
post #649 of 784 Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I've now had this for about 3 months, and after some growing pains, I really love it. Also set up a 3D adapter with it (PS3, Xbox, cable STB, and HTPC all 3D capable), and it works great. I don't even have HDMI 1.4 cables, and it outputs correctly. Apparently, if your cables are high speed, you're fine. the bass is awesome ( only one complaint from my neighbor... ).

I'm sure if I got better speakers, the sound would be richer, but that doesn't bother me. To those that have asked, the front speakers have a plastic top, but the rest of the casing is wood.

I'm happy I made this purchase.
post #650 of 784 Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM

I've only had one problem with it. Every now and then when switching between audio formats the sound goes out completely and it won't register that there is incoming audio. It seems to affect Dolby only and I've primarily seen in with my PS3. It doesn't happen that often though and Switching inputs and back fixes this.
post #651 of 784 Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to buy a HTiB system for my family, and I really like the Onkyo HT-S5300 and 6300, but I had a few concerns before hand.

I really like the Audyssey 2EQ, the HDMI upconversion and 1080p upscaling of the 6300, but the plastic speakers don't sound all that appealing and are even bigger than the 5300's speakers, which I've heard are a bit large.

I'm also not sure the extra features are worth an additional $100.

I've read that both systems tend to get very hot, with a somewhat high failure rate. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with that, or any suggestions. I'd rather not buy a system that I'm likely to have to replace from overheating.

The system is most likely to be used for DirecTV movies and HDTV, sports, video games, and occasionally music.
post #652 of 784 Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post

I've now had this for about 3 months, and after some growing pains, I really love it. Also set up a 3D adapter with it (PS3, Xbox, cable STB, and HTPC all 3D capable), and it works great. I don't even have HDMI 1.4 cables, and it outputs correctly. Apparently, if your cables are high speed, you're fine. the bass is awesome ( only one complaint from my neighbor... ).

I'm sure if I got better speakers, the sound would be richer, but that doesn't bother me. To those that have asked, the front speakers have a plastic top, but the rest of the casing is wood.

I'm happy I made this purchase.

Can you elaborate on how you have everything hooked up with the 3d adapter (Mitsubishi?)

What I am working on is basically the same. I have a Mitubishi 65638 TV with Mits 3D adapter and emitter, I have the Onkyo 5300 HTIB, N PS3 Slim 160gb and DirectTV HD.

What I am thinking is that everything goes into the Receiver via HDMI, then the HDMI output goes from receiver to the 3D adapter and then 3D Adapter to TV. This would allow the source switching to be done on the receiver and output to only one TV input and pass everthing through the 3D adapter allowing me the 3D from both the PS3 and DirectTV.

Are you having any issues passing 1080p through the receiver? Any flickering in picture and sound?

thanks.
post #653 of 784 Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Do you have to ship the whole package back to ONKYO or just the receiver?

I bought it around 11/2010. After checking the serial with Onkyo, it does require an firmware update. I just don't want to haul that big box over to Fedex. If it's just receiver, that's fine. How long does it take to service it?

Thanks.
post #654 of 784 Old 12-08-2010, 02:57 PM

You only have to send the receiver. The time it takes varies. For me it was about 2 weeks total time (including transit time). Others have said it took months.
post #655 of 784 Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM

I haven't checked mine yet to see if it need updated firmware. I've had it less than a week. Onky shows a service center about 4 miles from me. Does it need to be sent in or can it be dropped off at the service centers? After I confirm that it need the update of course.
post #656 of 784 Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Onkyo was having them shipped to regional repair centers (they sent a prepaid, pre-addressed shipping box). You might be able to bring it to the local repair center, but I'd recommend calling them and asking if they know how to do the firmware update and if they cover warranty repairs.
post #657 of 784 Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

You only have to send the receiver. The time it takes varies. For me it was about 2 weeks total time (including transit time). Others have said it took months.

When I register the system and try to get an update for it, which serial number should I use? There are two: one is on the receiver, the other one is on the speaker set.

Serial# on the speaker set:
0948SD0000000000A

Serial# on Receiver:
0948DD0000000000D

When I search for firmware update with the speaker set's serial number, it told me I need to update the firmware. But if I put the receiver serial number in, it said it does not need an update. How do we find out whether an update is really needed or not?
post #658 of 784 Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Easiest way is to test it with a multichannel PCM source. If you have a fat PS3 (or a slim set to output multichannel PCM), that's probably easiest to test with (using games) but any blu-ray player should work.
post #659 of 784 Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 AM

I had this HTiB delivered last Friday and I like it so far.

I've been researching HTiBs for a while and this one seemed like a good fit. Now I'm stuck with figuring out how to mount the speakers as my basement's fireplace and overall layout make it a bit more challenging to me.
post #660 of 784 Old 12-25-2010, 05:37 AM

I got the 5300 HTIB last month. I love it so far but now I have an issue and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I currently have my system setup as a 5.1. Anyways the subwoofer seems to randomly turn on and off during tv/games/movies. When it clicks on, it lasts for about 5 mins. Then soon after you hear this bass clicking sound, like as if there is a helicopter flying near your house. It makes that sound for about 5-10 seconds, and then the sub light goes from blue to red. This is very irritating, especially after I have had this product for less then 30 days.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Speaker Systems , Onkyo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page