NEW Release! Onkyo HT-S5300...Any Good? - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Now i wish I waited alittle before I jumped the gun on my purchase

That is an extremely good value for money. While the speakers may not be the best its a great starting point

I'm still crying over the fact that I bought an Onkyo HTiB a few weeks before they released a model with HDMI and true HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM

just received an email from onkyo informing me that my subwoofer that is part of my 5300 system may be defective, plugged in my serial number and YES it does in fact have a defect. ya know what? F this company, I'm tired of sending things in to get repaired and losing enjoyment out of what should have been a solid system. The goddamn regional repair center that they use are CLUELESS and wanted to charge me for a warranty repair on the amp until I contacted Onkyo and had them clear it up with them. Wasted my time, my money for long distance phone calls and my patience, last purchase from Onkyo EVER!

heres the stupid link http://www.onkyo.ca/001_modelreturn_entertype.cfm
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
Huh I got the same email but my sub isn't under recall though that might be a database issue
Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 PM

can this system use video from one source and audio from another ie iPod port or aux in bcuz it also switches video signal. TIA
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
According to the site, my subwoofer has the "open" problem and they're sending me a box to ship it to them to get "fixed". As far as I'm aware my sub works fine, so I'm not sure what they are fixing.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 AM

Hi guys, can i pair a front speaker rated 8ohms at 110watts to this receiver? i am so desperate to replace the front speaker as i listen a lot to music. if yes, can i played music at high volumes?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggy1 View Post

can this system use video from one source and audio from another ie iPod port or aux in bcuz it also switches video signal. TIA

It can from an audio only source like CD or Tuner. I'm not sure about the Port, though.... Aux will not likely work either as it can be a video input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

According to the site, my subwoofer has the "open" problem and they're sending me a box to ship it to them to get "fixed". As far as I'm aware my sub works fine, so I'm not sure what they are fixing.

Same for me. They've obviously had enough issues they're trying to get ahead of it..... Hopefully the new sub is a little beefier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjefferson View Post

Hi guys, can i pair a front speaker rated 8ohms at 110watts to this receiver? i am so desperate to replace the front speaker as i listen a lot to music. if yes, can i played music at high volumes?

I don't see why it would be a problem... The 130w that Onkyo rates the R580 at is running 1 ch @ 6ohms. Multiple channels at 8ohms should be well below that....80-100w I would guess.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Sub-Woofer Speaker Driver Replacement Program
07/19/11 - Onkyo USA has determined that there is a high probability that the voice coil of certain subwoofers in the Home Theater and Speaker systems listed below may open; consequently, the subwoofer will stop functioning.

For our valued customers, Onkyo USA has a speaker driver replacement program for the affected subwoofers. It is important that you check the model and serial number of your subwoofer.

Please click on the following link for more infomation on whether your subwoofer is eligible.
http://www.onkyousa.com/001_modelreturn_entertype.cfm

If you are eligible for this program, an Independent Onkyo Regional Service Center will send you material and instructions to return your subwoofer.

You can also contact Onkyo USA Customer Support during normal customer support hours (M-F 9am-8pm and Sat-Sun 10am-4pm ET) to see if your subwoofer falls under this speaker driver replacement program. Call toll free 1-855-460-1618 or local (201)785-2654.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM

I got my box from Onkyo. The repair center is in Illinois. I'm not sure it pays to ship something to get repaired when it works fine though.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post

I don't see why it would be a problem... The 130w that Onkyo rates the R580 at is running 1 ch @ 6ohms. Multiple channels at 8ohms should be well below that....80-100w I would guess.

Thank you for this, i will replace my previous toplist in searching speakers and decided to go to monitor audio.bx2 for front and bx-centre for center maybe my current front will be my surround if budget limits me.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I got my box from Onkyo. The repair center is in Illinois. I'm not sure it pays to ship something to get repaired when it works fine though.
a friend of mine sent his in even though it worked fine and when he got it back there was a dent and scratch on one of the corners. they must have damaged it at the distribution center while working on it...

good thing they sent him 2 subwoofers back though, the second one didn't have a scratch on it
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldirtdog View Post

a friend of mine sent his in even though it worked fine and when he got it back there was a dent and scratch on one of the corners. they must have damaged it at the distribution center while working on it...

good thing they sent him 2 subwoofers back though, the second one didn't have a scratch on it

sent mine in also... should receive it back in a day or 2... will post outcome
Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 AM

I sent mine in last Thursday and they got it this past Monday. Then yesterday I received the subwoofer back. They got it on Monday and shipped it back same day. What work did they do?

I hooked it up and tested it. It worked fine. I wonder what kind of work did they do or didn't do any work, since the shipping was on the same day as they received it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:23 AM

got mines the day before yesterday.. it seems like all they did was add CA Glue smh
Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM

I got mine back yesterday. It was about a week turnaround including shipping. It doesn't look like they did anything. They even reused the duct tape I used to seal up the box and plasic bag I put the subwoofer in.

I sent my receiver in for the firmware upgrade so I can't test it. It never had problems to begin with. It's been 2 weeks since I sent my receiver in with no status update from Onkyo (even after a few emails). I'm getting pretty tired of using my TV speakers...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebob11 View Post

I got mine back yesterday. It was about a week turnaround including shipping. It doesn't look like they did anything. They even reused the duct tape I used to seal up the box and plasic bag I put the subwoofer in.

I sent my receiver in for the firmware upgrade so I can't test it. It never had problems to begin with. It's been 2 weeks since I sent my receiver in with no status update from Onkyo (even after a few emails). I'm getting pretty tired of using my TV speakers...

was there a recall on the receiver as well that I missed?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post

was there a recall on the receiver as well that I missed?

Other than the original wrong speaker MPCM bug, I'm not aware of any.

There's another issue I have occasionally where the receiver misidentifies Dolby digital audio as Dolby II. This is with PCM sources. The workaround for that is to switch to another input and back.

If the turnaround time for the sub is only a week, I guess I can send it in. I've had the shipping box lying around for a few weeks.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 PM

So it looks like Onkyo lost my receiver when I sent it in for the firmware update. The tracking number they had on record for sending it to the E. Syracuse was faulty so there is no tracking. I called the service center and they don't have anything on record for service for it. I was on the phone with FedEx for over an hour and they can't find any record being shipped to the service center from my location.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with sending something in for repair? Any advice?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 AM

Guys i just replace my front speaker and it seem's they're sound much better now compared to the included one.By the way,can i add a pre amp to our receiver?if so how can this be done? there is no pre out in the back.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorton007 View Post

Yes they did add the latest decoders...It also looks like it no longer has the hdmi pass through like the older models had...

Was this verified? Is it true that this receiver does not offer HDMI pass through? Perhaps I'm confusing pass through with processing. I want to be able to simply send the HDMI signal through the receiver without subjecting it to any processing. That is still possible, right?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I put off sending back my subwoofer so long (nearly 4 months) that the shipping label that came with the box expired. I finally got around to calling Onkyo and they sent me another label so I'm going to ship it out tomorrow (to beat the holiday shipping rush). From what I've been told, they are simply replacing the speaker drivers in the subwoofer. I really hope they still have drivers left considering I took so long.

Anyway, for those who went through the process, do they send out any kind of notification or tracking number when they ship it back or does it just "appear" on your doorstep?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshotmedic View Post

just received an email from onkyo informing me that my subwoofer that is part of my 5300 system may be defective, plugged in my serial number and YES it does in fact have a defect. ya know what? F this company, I'm tired of sending things in to get repaired and losing enjoyment out of what should have been a solid system. The goddamn regional repair center that they use are CLUELESS and wanted to charge me for a warranty repair on the amp until I contacted Onkyo and had them clear it up with them. Wasted my time, my money for long distance phone calls and my patience, last purchase from Onkyo EVER!

heres the stupid link http://www.onkyo.ca/001_modelreturn_entertype.cfm

I actually admired the fact that onkyo notified me about the sub. I had tvs before that had known issues and I was the one that had to contact the company. For my first real surround setup I think the receiver is great but will replace the speakers when I get the cash. Any tweaks and adjustments for a great sound people can recommend?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I shipped last Tuesday. Apparently there were closed Friday since even though it "out for delivery" by Thursday, it didn't get delivered until Monday. I have no idea what state it's in now. It could be on it's way back or sitting in a pile of boxes in a warehouse.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I shipped last Tuesday. Apparently there were closed Friday since even though it "out for delivery" by Thursday, it didn't get delivered until Monday. I have no idea what state it's in now. It could be on it's way back or sitting in a pile of boxes in a warehouse.

Hopefully that gets sorted.

I wasn't even aware of this, I went to the site and sure enough my sub was on the list. There sending me a box, hopefully it will turn out fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm beginning to get a bit worried. They received it on Monday (they signed for it). Based on posts here and from what Onkyo told me on the phone, the repair is very simple and should be done the same day (they're just replacing the driver) assuming they have the part.

As such I would have expected it back today, but I haven't gotten any shipping notification. I called Onkyo the other day, but they told me I have to call the repair center (which is a different company). I meant to do that today, but forgot.

I haven't had the subwoofer since November 22nd so it's coming up on almost 2 weeks. This is why I don't like sending things back when they aren't broken. I don't understand why they can't send someone out to my house to repair it. That's what Sony did with the recall against my TV.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I'm beginning to get a bit worried. They received it on Monday (they signed for it). Based on posts here and from what Onkyo told me on the phone, the repair is very simple and should be done the same day (they're just replacing the driver) assuming they have the part.

As such I would have expected it back today, but I haven't gotten any shipping notification. I called Onkyo the other day, but they told me I have to call the repair center (which is a different company). I meant to do that today, but forgot.

I haven't had the subwoofer since November 22nd so it's coming up on almost 2 weeks. This is why I don't like sending things back when they aren't broken. I don't understand why they can't send someone out to my house to repair it. That's what Sony did with the recall against my TV.

Take a breath everything will be ok. I'm sure if it gets "lost" in the mail Onkyo will set you up with a new one. In all seriousness mine took right around two weeks.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Take a breath everything will be ok. I'm sure if it gets "lost" in the mail Onkyo will set you up with a new one. In all seriousness mine took right around two weeks.

I ended up calling the repair place and after some initial confusion (since they said they don't do end user repairs on Onkyo products), they emailed me that is has been fixed and that they will be sending it back today and gave me a tracking number.

I was hoping to get it back by this weekend, but at least I know it's on its way.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Does anyone know why this receiver has a standby mode light it can never use? The manual says it will never fully power down when you press on/standby, and no matter what I do, when it turns off, it just leave the hdmi passthrough light on. The standby light never comes on like on my old S3100.

Furthermore it still feels hot even when off because of this. Is this thing just sitting pretending to be off, draining electricity like a mini space heater? Because that's what the manual seems to say.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post

Does anyone know why this receiver has a standby mode light it can never use? The manual says it will never fully power down when you press on/standby, and no matter what I do, when it turns off, it just leave the hdmi passthrough light on. The standby light never comes on like on my old S3100.

Furthermore it still feels hot even when off because of this. Is this thing just sitting pretending to be off, draining electricity like a mini space heater? Because that's what the manual seems to say.

For me the Standby light comes on when I turn off the receiver if I disable HDMI Control in the HDMI setup.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I ended up calling the repair place and after some initial confusion (since they said they don't do end user repairs on Onkyo products), they emailed me that is has been fixed and that they will be sending it back today and gave me a tracking number.

I was hoping to get it back by this weekend, but at least I know it's on its way.

Good to hear. I was going to say earlier that I was pretty sure they sent me tracking info for mine, but I wasn't 100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Speaker Systems , Onkyo