NEW Release! Onkyo HT-S5300...Any Good? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 784 Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just put a Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's BD by Eagle Vision in my Panasonic BD-60. Went to the disc set up and selected DTS HD Master. The Onkyo switched like it's supposed to. However, during the first 2 songs there were about 5 or 6 audio drops. I says to myself, that ain't right. That didn't happen through the 605 and I had played it 4 or 5 times. Then I put in a Stanley Jordan by Inakustik. No selection required on those BDs, they just come up in DTS HD Master. Anyway, played as it should through several songs. Put ol' Jeff back in there, selected DTS HD Master again and we're on the 5th song with no drop outs. I dunno, just weirdness I guess

And for your viewing pleasure here's Tal Wilkenfeld from the video. Ahhh, sweet Jeebus. On my 82" Mits it's like she's in the room with me. And the girl can play that bass I'm tellin' ya.
LL

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 784 Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xported View Post

Okay, I just hooked up my Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player through my receiver and it worked just fine with HDMI. So far it appears only my PS3 is not liking the receiver, which really blows because it's my Blu-Ray/DVD player. I'm going to attempt to use my XBox 360 next.

Has anyone hooked up their PS3s to this receiver yet? If so, which model? (20 gig, 60 gig, 80 gig, New "Slim", etc). My PS3 is the 80 gig model.

i have the 80GB Metal Gear solid one.
the one with backwards compatibility and SACD. it works great for me. on the first try.
post #183 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 AM

Hi guys, does the receiver have a cooling fan inside?
post #184 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM

Update on my PS3 and the receiver. Well, my PS3 officially does not like the receiver. I thought it was doing well in HDMI Input #4, but just now I went to turn it on and got nothing... no picture, no sound. Just the blue screen the Onkyo sends to the TV. None of the other inputs will work with the PS3. If I do get it working, it's only temporary. So now the question is, would any PS3 not like my receiver or is it just mine? I'm going to hook my fiend's up next week when he comes over. His is one of the later older "fatter" PS3s, so it's newer than mine. If his works, I suppose I'll keep the home theater. If it doesn't, I don't know what I'm going to do. I got this HTiB to use primarily with the PS3 which is my Blu-Ray player. Right now, it's appearing to be a PS3 issue for whatever reason, because my HD DVD player and Direct TV work just fine hooked up via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Time to test the XBox 360 on it and see if that gives me any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkett375 View Post

Hmm...I had some problems with the first input, too, but I was using my cable box. It was only displaying 480p and messing up if I changed the channel to something using a different resolution. I looked in the settings and I had it set to upconvert instead of auto, switched to auto, and it worked magically. Maybe something in the upconversion that the first port doesn't like? Just a wild guess/shot in the dark kind of thing...

Does this Onkyo upconvert? I didn't think it did, but I could be wrong. Where is this in the settings? I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: UPDATE

Okay, hooking up my XBox 360 via HDMI through the receiver made something click. The XBox 360 had the same symptom as the PS3 except the XBox 360 was outputting sound (The PS3 wouldn't). I began thinking why the XBox 360 and PS3 were not working but my DirectTV receiver and HD DVD player were. That's when the light bulb turned on. My XBox 360 and PS3 are set to 1080p. My DirectTV and HD DVD players are outputting 1080i because they do not support 1080p. When I changed my 360 and PS3 to 1080i, wouldn't you know, they work. It would now appears my Onkyo receiver is the one causing issues. 1080p signals are screwing it up. 1080i doesn't look bad, but I shouldn't have to gimp my settings just because the stupid receiver doesn't like 1080p signals, especially since the receiver is supposed to support 1080P! So if anyone else is having HDMI issues, try setting your devices to 1080i or lower and see if you get a picture. I'll call Onkyo later today and see what they say, but I'm thinking this set is going back for a new one. How is 1080p working for everyone else?

(And yes, my TV supports 1080p)
post #185 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xported View Post

Update on my PS3 and the receiver. Well, my PS3 officially does not like the receiver. I thought it was doing well in HDMI Input #4, but just now I went to turn it on and got nothing... no picture, no sound. Just the blue screen the Onkyo sends to the TV. None of the other inputs will work with the PS3. If I do get it working, it's only temporary. So now the question is, would any PS3 not like my receiver or is it just mine? I'm going to hook my fiend's up next week when he comes over. His is one of the later older "fatter" PS3s, so it's newer than mine. If his works, I suppose I'll keep the home theater. If it doesn't, I don't know what I'm going to do. I got this HTiB to use primarily with the PS3 which is my Blu-Ray player. Right now, it's appearing to be a PS3 issue for whatever reason, because my HD DVD player and Direct TV work just fine hooked up via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Time to test the XBox 360 on it and see if that gives me any problems.

Does this Onkyo upconvert? I didn't think it did, but I could be wrong. Where is this in the settings? I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: UPDATE

Okay, hooking up my XBox 360 via HDMI through the receiver made something click. The XBox 360 had the same symptom as the PS3 except the XBox 360 was outputting sound (The PS3 wouldn't). I began thinking why the XBox 360 and PS3 were not working but my DirectTV receiver and HD DVD player were. That's when the light bulb turned on. My XBox 360 and PS3 are set to 1080p. My DirectTV and HD DVD players are outputting 1080i because they do not support 1080p. When I changed my 360 and PS3 to 1080i, wouldn't you know, they work. It would now appears my Onkyo receiver is the one causing issues. 1080p signals are screwing it up. 1080i doesn't look bad, but I shouldn't have to gimp my settings just because the stupid receiver doesn't like 1080p signals, especially since the receiver is supposed to support 1080P! So if anyone else is having HDMI issues, try setting your devices to 1080i or lower and see if you get a picture. I'll call Onkyo later today and see what they say, but I'm thinking this set is going back for a new one. How is 1080p working for everyone else?

(And yes, my TV supports 1080p)

Ok, as I didn't see anything in the menus about adjusting "Picture quality" I figured Onkyo merely passes the HDMI video portion through to my projector, and doesn't do any sort of "processing" to the signal.

But is this so, or am I wrong? Does the receiver manipulate the video signal from the Bluray before sending it on, or does it merely pass the signal along, untouched?
post #186 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Can anyone confirm if all the speaker cabinets are made of wood or is it just the subwoofer that is?
post #187 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM

I just got my system on the 10th. It sounds pretty good and i'm still playing around with the functions but overall i'm satisfied with the purchase.

The speakers are wood. (to answer the above post)
post #188 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDLP Guy View Post

Ok, as I didn't see anything in the menus about adjusting "Picture quality" I figured Onkyo merely passes the HDMI video portion through to my projector, and doesn't do any sort of "processing" to the signal.

But is this so, or am I wrong? Does the receiver manipulate the video signal from the Bluray before sending it on, or does it merely pass the signal along, untouched?

I'm pretty sure the receiver does just pass the video through to your display. If you're referring to the guy I quoted, I'm thinking he came into the wrong thread. I don't see any options on the receiver to change video quality settings. If you're referring to my comments, I changed the resolution output on the devices (XBox and PS3) themselves.

Yet another update to my issues: I did a hard reset on the receiver, and for now, and I stress for now, 1080p signals from my PS3 and 360 are working. We'll see if it's that way in an hour or two.
post #189 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmondDantes View Post

Can anyone confirm if all the speaker cabinets are made of wood or is it just the subwoofer that is?

Yes they are, and the 2 fronts and center have a nice, pleasing sheen to the tops and sides of them, which is slick.
post #190 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 02:26 PM

I picked up this unit from Amazon, but haven't set it up yet since I'm not sure where I should put the speakers because of the weird shape of my room. I have my TV next to a stair case (which precludes mounting it). My room really only has 3 walls since the 4th wall is partially missing because the room connects to another. Finally the back of the room has 3 windows which means I can't mount speakers there either. Here's a drawing of the room. The circle is where I keep a chair sometimes and the rectangle on the bottom is a couch. The "wall" behind the TV (top) isn't really a wall.

This basically means I have to mount the surround and rear speaks from the ceiling. The alternative is to mount the surround speakers from the ceiling and the rear speaks in front above the TV.

Any ideas where is the best place to put the speakers? Is the ceiling an okay place for the surround speakers?

Also what would be the different between mounting the rear speakers in the back on the ceiling in the front on the ceiling?
post #191 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

I just put a Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's BD by Eagle Vision in my Panasonic BD-60. Went to the disc set up and selected DTS HD Master. The Onkyo switched like it's supposed to. However, during the first 2 songs there were about 5 or 6 audio drops. I says to myself, that ain't right. That didn't happen through the 605 and I had played it 4 or 5 times. Then I put in a Stanley Jordan by Inakustik. No selection required on those BDs, they just come up in DTS HD Master. Anyway, played as it should through several songs. Put ol' Jeff back in there, selected DTS HD Master again and we're on the 5th song with no drop outs. I dunno, just weirdness I guess

And for your viewing pleasure here's Tal Wilkenfeld from the video. Ahhh, sweet Jeebus. On my 82" Mits it's like she's in the room with me. And the girl can play that bass I'm tellin' ya.

I had a similar issue with The Matrix on Blu-ray and a BD-60. The first time I enabled the TrueHD track I noticed occasional audio drops over the course of a minute or so, but after switching to DD and then back to TrueHD they just vanished.

I haven't noticed any issues since then so hopefully whatever the problem was has been resolved.
post #192 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomambo View Post

Hi guys, does the receiver have a cooling fan inside?

No fan, its passive cooling
post #193 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 PM

I hooked it up tonight and simply placed the speakers around me to see if they worked. They did work, but the center speaker way overpowers the other ones. I had to turn it's db way down in the settings (or turn the others up) to hear the other speakers, especially the surround ones. Is it supposed to be like that?

Also the bass overpowers the treble at times.

I tested it with my old fat 80 GB PS3 (one with software PS2 BC) set to 1080p and it seemed to work fine for playing games or watching blu-rays on my Bravia KDL40-XBR4 with a minor glitch here and there when playing with the settings. I did notice the screen went black once when I was fiddling with the settings, but I got it back by switching to a different input on my TV and back. The only issue I've seen is that if use HDMI control on my TV to tell the receiver to switch the output to the speakers, the receiver switches the TV output on and then off again because my TV doesn't accept the HDMI audio formats that the receiver accepts. If I run the audio setup on the PS3 for the TV, then TV out works.

There's no fan, but the vent slots are huge. You can see everything inside the receiver. I'm afraid somethings going to get into the slots, they are so large. I used it for a bit and it didn't really get that hot, despite the warning on the receiver. It did click every now and then for some reason.

Finally the receiver's weight is not distributed evenly. It is much heavier on the left side than the right side. I have an Init glass shelf TV stand and I'm afraid to put the receiver on it out of fear it will crack or shatter the tempered glass. Anyone ever put a receiver on a glass shelf?
post #194 of 784 Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM

I am still waiting for the S5300 from a local Onkyo retailer in Puerto Rico.

I have a 60GB PS3, a Tvix M-6500A, a Wii and a PC with HDMI. Once the set arrive and tested, I will provide information as well.
post #195 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolik View Post

No fan, its passive cooling

Thanks for the info. I have my unit tested first by a friend in LA before I ship to the PH.. just wanting to make sure it has no defect out of the box
post #196 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

I picked up this unit from Amazon, but haven't set it up yet since I'm not sure where I should put the speakers because of the weird shape of my room. I have my TV next to a stair case (which precludes mounting it). My room really only has 3 walls since the 4th wall is partially missing because the room connects to another. Finally the back of the room has 3 windows which means I can't mount speakers there either. Here's a drawing of the room. The circle is where I keep a chair sometimes and the rectangle on the bottom is a couch. The "wall" behind the TV (top) isn't really a wall.

This basically means I have to mount the surround and rear speaks from the ceiling. The alternative is to mount the surround speakers from the ceiling and the rear speaks in front above the TV.

Any ideas where is the best place to put the speakers? Is the ceiling an okay place for the surround speakers?

Also what would be the different between mounting the rear speakers in the back on the ceiling in the front on the ceiling?

speaker stands are your friend in this case
post #197 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I hooked it up tonight and simply placed the speakers around me to see if they worked. They did work, but the center speaker way overpowers the other ones. I had to turn it's db way down in the settings (or turn the others up) to hear the other speakers, especially the surround ones. Is it supposed to be like that?

I tested it with my old fat 80 GB PS3 (one with software PS2 BC) set to 1080p and it seemed to work fine for playing games or watching blu-rays on my Bravia KDL40-XBR4 with a minor glitch here and there when playing with the settings. I did notice the screen went black once when I was fiddling with the settings, but I got it back by switching to a different input on my TV and back. The only issue I've seen is that if use HDMI control on my TV to tell the receiver to switch the output to the speakers, the receiver switches the TV output on and then off again because my TV doesn't accept the HDMI audio formats that the receiver accepts. If I run the audio setup on the PS3 for the TV, then TV out works.

There's no fan, but the vent slots are huge. You can see everything inside the receiver. I'm afraid somethings going to get into the slots, they are so large. I used it for a bit and it didn't really get that hot, despite the warning on the receiver. It did click every now and then for some reason.

Finally the receiver's weight is not distributed evenly. It is much heavier on the left side than the right side. I have an Init glass shelf TV stand and I'm afraid to put the receiver on it out of fear it will crack or shatter the tempered glass. Anyone ever put a receiver on a glass shelf?

That's interesting. I had to turn up my center. How far are you turning the sub's dial? Mine's between noon and 1 o'clock -- anything beyond seems to be too much for my room.

I do also noticed the clicking. It always clicks too when switching from different menu options in the Setup menu, and when making adjustments under certain menu items.
post #198 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDLP Guy View Post

That's interesting. I had to turn up my center. How far are you turning the sub's dial? Mine's between noon and 1 o'clock -- anything beyond seems to be too much for my room.

I put it about half-way, but was constantly adjusting it. At one point I had it too high and it rattled the room. I turned it down after that.

It seems like the regular speaks prefer bass over treble. Almost as if the tweeters are underpowered. It could be the Audyssey thing making adjustments since this isn't always the case. There's too many audio settings and modes to tweak to know if I have things set up correctly. I didn't want to fiddle with them until I have my speakers in their final position.
post #199 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Mine's also on a wall mounted glass shelf. High up too, so I'm trusting the glass won't break under the weight.
LL
post #200 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, glass shelves are surprisingly strong. But check the shelf maker's documentation for weight limits and any recourse if it breaks in the warranty section.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #201 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

... It is much heavier on the left side than the right side. I have an Init glass shelf TV stand and I'm afraid to put the receiver on it out of fear it will crack or shatter the tempered glass. Anyone ever put a receiver on a glass shelf?

I have it on an OmniMount Tria glass shelf, it can hold up to 30lbs. Should be okay as long as you dont shift it or bang it or move it around.
post #202 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolik View Post

I have it on an OmniMount Tria glass shelf, it can hold up to 30lbs. Should be okay as long as you dont shift it or bang it or move it around.

I did some searching and found the specs on my shelf which claims the bottom and middle shelves can hold 100 lbs each. There was a label on the glass shelves (which I stupidly removed) that had weight limits on them and I could swear it was only 30 lbs, though another review I read said 50 lbs. I guess the tempered glass should be strong enough.

Is putting the receiver next to (a foot or two away from) my PS3 a bad idea considering the amount of heat both put out?
post #203 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is putting the receiver next to (a foot or two away from) my PS3 a bad idea considering the amount of heat both put out?

Not if there is adequate ventilation around both of them. Check their manuals, it should say how much each needs, but a foot should be more than enough distance. Heck, if both have enough air circulating on the other sides, they could probably be touching and they'll be fine.

post #204 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM

In case anyone was wondering, it's starting to look like doing a hard reset on the receiver fixed my 1080p not working issues. I haven't had any problems since the reset ::knock on wood::.

I do have a question about speaker stands. I was originally going to ceiling mount my surround and back speakers, but since they lack keyholes for doing that, I don't want to risk drilling holes into them myself and having them fall later down the line. I'm looking at the Sanus BF31 stands right now for my surround and back speakers. Before I pull the trigger, I'm not clear how the speakers stay on the stand without falling off. Do you simply allow the speaker to rest on the stand? I've tried doing some searching but I cannot find the answer. If anyone has these stands or similar, I'm very curious to know how the speaker is secured.
post #205 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can secure them with velcro stickers if you feel they won't sit securely.

They also make some speaker mounts for non-keyhole speakers that mount on the wall. Pinpoint AM-40s and Sanus WMS-2s are good choices, although they're pricier than the standard keyhole type mounts. But Amazon has them for good prices.

post #206 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

You can secure them with velcro stickers if you feel they won't sit securely.

They also make some speaker mounts for non-keyhole speakers that mount on the wall. Pinpoint AM-40s and Sanus WMS-2s are good choices, although they're pricier than the standard keyhole type mounts. But Amazon has them for good prices.

Velcro sounds like a good idea for the stands. Those Pinpoint AM-40s look really nice, but unfortunately wall mounting won't work with my application.
post #207 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM

I am new to the forum i have been looking over the thread for awhile and have recently bought the onkyo 5300. I have a ps3 slim 120, xbox 360 moderen warefare addition , a vizio 37 in, and a vizio blue ray player, and a i pod vid all hooked to it and everything seems to work great and every thing is in 1080p.
post #208 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 PM

I have to say, the manual for this leaves a bit to be desired. There are things that are duplicated for no reason that I can tell such as the instructions on how to adjust the bass. The section on the different audio modes is difficult to understand as well. My PS3 outputs PCM multichannel so I'd assume I'd want to use the "Dolby D" setting. Do I want the receiver to do "surround-sound processing" (whatever that is) or expand 5.1 to 7.1?

Speaking of 7.1, for Blu-rays that support that (not many) I would assume the blu-ray is coded for the two extra speakers to be in the back and not front-high. Is anyone using this in front-high mode? How does it sound?

Finally I think I might know why the bass sounds too loud. The default "Crossover" setting is 100 Hz (5-1/4 to 6-1/2" speakers). The manual says that this should be set based on the cone size of the smallest speaker in the setup. The surround and back-surround speakers have a cone size of 3-1/4" which means that (according to the manual), the crossover frequency should be set to 150 or 200 Hz. Does this sound right?
post #209 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I have to say, the manual for this leaves a bit to be desired. There are things that are duplicated for no reason that I can tell such as the instructions on how to adjust the bass. The section on the different audio modes is difficult to understand as well. My PS3 outputs PCM multichannel so I'd assume I'd want to use the "Dolby D" setting. Do I want the receiver to do "surround-sound processing" (whatever that is) or expand 5.1 to 7.1?

Speaking of 7.1, for Blu-rays that support that (not many) I would assume the blu-ray is coded for the two extra speakers to be in the back and not front-high. Is anyone using this in front-high mode? How does it sound?

Finally I think I might know why the bass sounds too loud. The default "Crossover" setting is 100 Hz (5-1/4 to 6-1/2" speakers). The manual says that this should be set based on the cone size of the smallest speaker in the setup. The surround and back-surround speakers have a cone size of 3-1/4" which means that (according to the manual), the crossover frequency should be set to 150 or 200 Hz. Does this sound right?

i would just leave your PS3 do its thing. just send the LPCM and set your receiver to receive "direct"

i have constantly read over and over that the dolby PLIIz is crap. i recently read a review from Cnet on PLIIz cuz they said they would re-review it in 2 years from when they first got their hands on it and they said the same thing.
it's just there, and hardly anything comes out of it ever.

i've never heard it and i'm sure those who have it up like so will swear by it because they don't have a choice. so it'll be sort of like a salem witch trial.

my personal opinion is that since nothing is printed in PLIIz those height channels are just 2 more speakers on your wall taking up space.
the rear speakers in traditional 7.1 aren't the most used things either, but if you throw in media mixed in 7.1 you'll be rewarded heftily. HANDS DOWN.

i've played a few video games in 7.1 and seen maybe about 3 or 4 movies in 7.1 and there is quite a bit of clever use of the rear speakers.

as for the sub being too loud. you have a 2 band EQ on the receiver you can turn down your bass if your subwoofer's dial is already all the way down.
the crossover is completely subjective it will vary from room to room.
i have my crossover set at 80Hz, but also because i am using usher speakers with 6.5" cone for the front and have the provided 2 way speakers set up as surrounds.

i have pictures of my setup in an earlier page of this thread.
post #210 of 784 Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepelutivruski4 View Post

i would just leave your PS3 do its thing. just send the LPCM and set your receiver to receive "direct"

This is where I'm a bit confused. When my PS3 is set to LPCM, do I want my receiver to be in "direct" or "multichannel" mode? I've been using Multichannel and it seems like I'm getting separation in the speakers, although it seems like the back speakers are a bit too loud when it comes to dialogue.

EDIT: After re-reading the instructions, Direct mode seems to be the mode I should have been using, unless I'm reading them wrong.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Speaker Systems , Onkyo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page