HTIB for Music - advice and preference appreciated - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know what everyone will say off the bat: HTIB are not great for music.

Granted. But we only have room (and budget) for one unit, we watch a lot of movies, and we also listen to a lot of music. I have decided to sacrifice some of the music audio quality to get the full home theater experience.

Within those parameters, I would like to get the best music quality possible. But I know they are limiting parameters. So of all the HTIB's in a box that aren't good for music, which are the best for music within that group?

Heard the best things about Onyoko & Yamaha for music so far but nothing definitive. I found a site about a year ago that actually rated HTIB for music but can't seem to relocate (it had an orange background and I think it was British.)

I want to pull the trigger quick. I am not enjoying the shopping experience and this is dragging out over months. I just want someone to tell me what to do

Other minor things I could take or leave:
-5.1 is preferable to 7.1
-Under $500 would be great but I am a little flexible
-She wants it in silver but I will get what I want and i just want it to sound good
-Ease of use, or she'll never use it
-Wireless rear speakers would be a nice perk and possibly worth paying for
-w/or w/o player doesn't matter to me but starting to see the bene of multiple HDMI i/o
-prejudiced against Sony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Denon DHT-590BA, Onkyo S6200, Yamaha YHT-591, with the Denon unit getting the nod.

Avoid HTiB's with tiny speakers, they sound very hollow for music since so much of the music is in the mid-frequencies and the tiny speakers are little more than tweeters in an enclosure.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

Denon DHT-590BA, Onkyo S6200, Yamaha YHT-591, with the Denon unit getting the nod.

Avoid HTiB's with tiny speakers, they sound very hollow for music since so much of the music is in the mid-frequencies and the tiny speakers are little more than tweeters in an enclosure.

The Denon DHT -590ba has tiny 3" drivers the mid range ain't the best

Speaker set like the Jamo S 406 HCS 1 5.0 would be great on music and movies you just need a reciever and to add a subwoofer down the line
post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11
I agree with the Jamo S 406 HCS 1, teamed up with a good receiver from accessories4less.com. Refurb but just like new. Onkyo is very reputable. Now if you really want an all in one stylish unit that sounds, gulp, decent with rear wireless speakers and HDMI inputs, and BluRay player, I can only suggest the Samsung HT-BD3252. Most here do not know a lot about it, and granted it has small drivers, but it really is good. Not great, just good. It also has Pandora radio for streaming music. The sub is about the best for massive market passive subs. Large cabinet, 6.5" woofer. I have one. I like it a lot. The first is better, I have Jamo 406 with Yammy V665, and like it too. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

This is awesome. I am going to do this this weekend. Thank you
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Denon 590 from Electronics Expo for ˜$300 and a 5.1 set of Jamo S413's from Vanns for $200.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page