Sony HT-SS360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-11-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Before you read any further, I've never dealt with audio systems before, so please bear with me as I try to explain this

I just recently purchased this system (yesterday, actually) and have it all set up and working. One thing that I noticed is it seems to have a high pitched sound coming from the receiver at times. It doesn't start as soon as I turn the system on, but randomly starts happening within 30mins up towards 2 hours. The sound keeps until I turn it off and on again. It sounds like the sharp buzzing sound that sometimes comes from a TV or CRT Monitor (hopefully that makes sense ).

I tried removing cables from the back (one by one) to see if one of them were causing the issue, but it continued to make the high pitched/buzzing sound when everything was unplugged (other than the power cord, of course).

I removed it from my shelf thinking it may of been heat related but still did the same thing sitting out in the open.

Did I perhaps get a defunct receiver? Or is that sharp pitch sound supposed to be there? (I hope not! It's quite noticeable ).

I read about Ground Looping? But I don't really think that pertains to this situation, since it's a new and simple set up.

Has anyone else who uses this model notice something like this with their receiver?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas. I just hope I don't have to get it replaced after just paying for it a day before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM

I have a SS370 (bought 3 days ago) and have a similar situation. I don't hear it too much from where I sit though, so decided to ignore it. The sound from the system overpowers it ;-). I think it is fairly normal when you have many compoments close together. You could try setting things farther apart, usually inconvenient. The other thing I read about is cleaning your plugs. Anyway, if you can't hear it while watching movies, then don't worry about.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I ended up taking it back. No matter how far away other electronics were from it, it continued to make the sound. And unfortunately, it was quite noticeable, even with the volume at a decent level.

I was going to trade it in, but they didn't have any others in stock. I ended up swapping it for a Samsung HT-AS730. I read mixed reviews, but hopefully it works out. If not, then I may just stick for regular TV sound for now haha. Audio is not my strong suit!
post #4 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Maybe try the SS370... It is working great for me... I even think the sound has gone away.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the HTSF360 has the same buzzing sound? The Samsung was just waaaay to advanced for me. The store we have here doesn't appear to sell the SS370, but they do have a SF360. What's the main difference between the SS360 and SF360?

Thanks!
post #6 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstablefears View Post

What's the main difference between the SS360 and SF360?

Thanks!

I believe the only different is the SS360 has satellite speakers where as the SF360 has floor-standing speakers, hence the SS and SF.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

I believe the only different is the SS360 has satellite speakers where as the SF360 has floor-standing speakers, hence the SS and SF.

Thanks! Are Satellite speakers better than floor-standing speaker? Or no real difference in quality?
post #8 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking of buying this HTIB as a replacement for my dying HT system. But for a little more money, I can get the Onkyo HT-S3300 which offers much more for just a little more money.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Thanks! Are Satellite speakers better than floor-standing speaker? Or no real difference in quality?

By the specs the speaker cone size are the same. Only difference is the speaker housing. I would think pro & con is the Satellite gives more placement choices then floor-standing.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Does anyone know if the HTSF360 has the same buzzing sound? The Samsung was just waaaay to advanced for me. The store we have here doesn't appear to sell the SS370, but they do have a SF360. What's the main difference between the SS360 and SF360?

Thanks!

Yeah the SF has taller rear speakers, that's it, the only difference. I've found that the SF models are typically sold in Canada while the SS are typically sold in the US. Not sure why but that's just what I've noticed.

As for the buzzing, it sounds like it's an issue with the transformer/power supply inside the unit. Could be a design flaw or could just be the one you got.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Yeah the SF has taller rear speakers, that's it, the only difference. I've found that the SF models are typically sold in Canada while the SS are typically sold in the US.

Interesting. You can definitely get both systems in Canada (I've been watching the prices of both, waiting for a sale) but the HF360 seems to come in about $200 - $250 more than the SS360. That seems like a pretty big difference for just a different "form factor" for the front and rear speakers, doesn't it? Could they actually be better speakers? Does anyone know for sure that the subwoofer and receiver are the same?
post #12 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g011um View Post

Interesting. You can definitely get both systems in Canada (I've been watching the prices of both, waiting for a sale) but the HF360 seems to come in about $200 - $250 more than the SS360. That seems like a pretty big difference for just a different "form factor" for the front and rear speakers, doesn't it? Could they actually be better speakers? Does anyone know for sure that the subwoofer and receiver are the same?

Yes they are the same, the receiver will be the STR-KS360 on both of them. Go on Sony Support and download the manual, it should be the same manual for both models.

I always imagined the taller speakers were slightly better, but the difference might not be that big in reality other than better looks and placement (the taller speakers always come with the stands I believe, the smaller ones I think you have to get the stands separately for them?).

I also made a mistake in saying it was just taller rears, in the SS/SF it seems all the speakers are either small or tall. I was confused with the HDX/HDZ Bravia Theatres which often have tall fronts but the rears are either small or tall depending on the variant you buy.

Where are you seeing the SS360 for sale? At big box stores or small shops? Because I'm wondering if the SS aren't some grey market US imports? I don't think I've seen the SS at FS, Best Lie, etc. but I could be wrong.

You can get the SS360 new in the US, for about $250 right now, if you're looking for a comparison point. The replacement SS370 (which I haven't seen in Canada yet but may be on Sonystyle.ca?) is typically going for $350 in the States at most places, so I'm guessing the $250 is more a clearance price on the 360.

Cheapest I think I've seen the SF360 in Canada was $300 but I don't think that sale is on anymore and typically it's $350-$400.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM

I am loving my SS370.. really impressed! Highly recommended! The receiver on the SS370 is different from the 360.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Where are you seeing the SS360 for sale?

Nowhere yet, but I've got a bunch of places bookmarked and check the prices daily.

Quote:

I don't think I've seen the SS at FS, Best Lie, etc. but I could be wrong.

FS has both the HTSS360 ($399) and the HTSF360 ($649) on their site now. BestBuy had the SF up until a few days ago; Visions has the SS listed as well. I have my eye on eBay as well, but all of those come from the US.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

I am loving my SS370.. really impressed! Highly recommended! The receiver on the SS370 is different from the 360.

Correct. The SS370 has several differences. However the question about differences above was more about the differences between SS and SF models, not one model year to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g011um View Post

FS has both the HTSS360 ($399) and the HTSF360 ($649) on their site now. BestBuy had the SF up until a few days ago; Visions has the SS listed as well. I have my eye on eBay as well, but all of those come from the US.

Hmm the SF360 is intentionally overpriced on FS though because they like to claim huge savings when they package it with something. For example, right now they have it packaged with the 40EX500 for a combined price of $1300, meaning the price they are giving you the SF360 for if you were to add it to the price of the TV alone, is $350. However since the "regular price" is said to be $649 they can kick in that missing $300 as "savings". It's just a ploy, the SF360 should never actually sell for $649. In reality I'd imagine their cost difference is ~$50 between the two.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:

As for the buzzing, it sounds like it's an issue with the transformer/power supply inside the unit. Could be a design flaw or could just be the one you got.

I am also experiencing the intermittent buzzing definately coming from the back of the amp. sounds like a sharp high pitched plasma buzz. isn't always there. Has anyone had luck exchanging their unit for another? Is it a problem with all of them, or just some defective ones? I am really impressed with this System considering the price and hdmi switching. S370
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page