Onkyo HT-S3300 or Yamaha YHT-493BL or 393BL - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Home Theater In A Box > Onkyo HT-S3300 or Yamaha YHT-493BL or 393BL

Home Theater In A Box

golo's Avatar golo
03:00 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 10
04-24-2010 | Posts: 68
FYI I am a Home Theater noob

Onkyo HT-S3300 aound $300

http://http://www.onkyousa.com/model...ss=Systems&p=i

Yamaha YHT-493BL around $400

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...4&CTID=5000800

Yamaha YHT-393BL around $340-350

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...6&CTID=5000800

I am only going to be using this for my medium sized bedroom for watching TV and movies and games on my PS3... I am not a big audio person.. first home theater ever so I don't need the better more expensive systems... I am trying to pick from the choices above...these are the differences I have found between the two yamaha models... the 393BL has smaller woofers at 2-1/2" compared to the 2-3/4" woofers of the 493BL.. that is the only difference.. is that worth the 50-60 dollar difference???

As for the Onkyo it has a passive sub compared to the active sub on the yamaha... also the onkyo has audyssey..I don't see the yamaha having this.. is that really important or does the yamaha have something similar? seems the onkyo has more features.. maybe i only think this because the yamaha page isnt as detailed... any advice?? thanks.. crazyrob.. I'm expecting to hear a good response from you

Or is there a better option for a ~$400 or so price range... again this will always be a bedroom set.. I'll get a bigger better system once I get my house...

thanks again in advance...

Edit: after reading some more it seems both yamaha systems above are using the HTR-3063 receiver which is only $230 so are the yahama speakers worth that much to add $100-110 for the 393BL speakers or $160-170 for the 493BL speakers? is the yamaha receiver better then the onkyo receiver? and if so, is there a better speaker set I can get for around the same price instead of the yamaha speakers? that way i can just buy the receiver by itself and better speakers.. i have a bunch of hdmi cables... how much is the speaker wire and/or other items i will need to buy.. i am planning on getting that stuff from monoprice.. or should i just save the money and get the HT-S3300 since I don't plan on upgrading this system to better speakers or sub since I am only going to use it for a bedroom only... hmm i found the 393BL for $320 shipped.. should I just get that or the S3300... man i get OCD over buying things when there are so many options.. LOL
m_vanmeter's Avatar m_vanmeter
09:46 AM Liked: 21
post #2 of 10
04-25-2010 | Posts: 5,433
I was wrong with the following statement, the S3300 DOES handle bitstreamed HD audio codecs over HDMI....sorry for "my" confusion

only the Onkyo S3300 will handle audio over HDMI cable, and it only plays the signal decoded by the blu-ray player as LPCM. So, as long as you are OK with using a separate optical or coaxial audio cable to get the digital sound from the player to the HTiB receiver then you are good with any of the three.

If you want a system that has the capability to fully handle digital audio (including the lossless blu-ray HD audio codecs) over HDMI, you will need to move up the the Onkyo S6200. [/size]

afrogt's Avatar afrogt
03:10 PM Liked: 417
post #3 of 10
04-25-2010 | Posts: 23,408
Quote:

only the Onkyo S3300 will handle audio over HDMI cable, and it only plays the signal decoded by the blu-ray player as LPCM

You might want to look at the 3300 again. Its does TrueHD and DTS-MA decoding.
http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S...ss=Systems&p=f

Special Features
Three 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.4a) supporting 3D video and Audio Return Channel
Total 660W with a Powerfull 8-inch Subwoofer
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio Decoding
4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
Audyssey Dynamic Volumeā„¢ to Maintain Optimal Listening Level
crazyrob425's Avatar crazyrob425
05:24 PM Liked: 202
post #4 of 10
04-25-2010 | Posts: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You might want to look at the 3300 again. Its does TrueHD and DTS-MA decoding.
http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S...ss=Systems&p=f

Special Features
Three 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.4a) supporting 3D video and Audio Return Channel
Total 660W with a Powerfull 8-inch Subwoofer
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio Decoding
4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level

My sony says the same thing but doesn't have DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD codec's. They just say Blu-ray audio decoding
aesculapian's Avatar aesculapian
08:21 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 10
05-04-2010 | Posts: 2
The receivers are comparable for what I need. The big question is, who makes better speakers, Yamaha or Onkyo?
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa
08:51 PM Liked: 59
post #6 of 10
05-04-2010 | Posts: 10,026
Probably about the same (subpar.) Neither company is known for their speakers.

Both may have made some decent ones back in the day, but they never included any of them in their HTIBs.

That aside, I don't think you can go wrong with either Yamaha or Onkyo for a starter system. Just pick the one with the features you want. These systems are way more alike than they are different.
golo's Avatar golo
09:03 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 10
05-04-2010 | Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculapian View Post

The receivers are comparable for what I need. The big question is, who makes better speakers, Yamaha or Onkyo?

I went to Fry's last night and listened to Onkyo HTiB's and other set ups... I am definitely going to buy the receiver alone and some different speakers... seperate speakers is the way to go.. might spend a little more but worth it IMO
Eayes's Avatar Eayes
12:17 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 10
05-05-2010 | Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by golo View Post

I went to Fry's last night and listened to Onkyo HTiB's and other set ups... I am definitely going to buy the receiver alone and some different speakers... seperate speakers is the way to go.. might spend a little more but worth it IMO

That's what I ended up doing after looking at a lot of HTiB and soundbars. For me I'm so glad I did and am extremely happy with the results.
aesculapian's Avatar aesculapian
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 10
05-05-2010 | Posts: 2
How do you get the receiver by itself?
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa
12:30 AM Liked: 59
post #10 of 10
05-06-2010 | Posts: 10,026
Receivers are sold separately as well as packaged with speakers. Just about any store or online retailer that sells the HTIBs also sells the receivers.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Subscribe to this Thread