Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 195 Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtick View Post

what firmware version are you running? You may have to upgrade it, but I would only put on M04.R.588, not the newest M04.R.624 as I have stated above with my issue.

I am running M04.R.624 and luckily so far have not encountered internet issues. I just am unable to connect my ipod touch 2nd generation. Has anyone updated to the newest firmware??? My system is prompting me that there is a new version available. I am afraid to update since it seems people have had issues after updating firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 AM

I see the new update online. I turned off the auto update feature inside the unit to not be notified of any updates. I am not updating this thing ever again. What a hassle to send it in to texas and wait to get it back. On 624 my internet would not work at all. I don't know what went wrong, but if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. The new version, 708, states that it improves connectivity with the ipod touch. I want to upgrade as there appears to be new features and bug fixes, but the risk outweighs the reward. If you do upgrade, let us know how it went for you. Also, do you upgrade with a CD or do you download it directly to the unit?
post #33 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Hello, I'm totally new when it comes to HTiB, so I have some basic questions regarding to this BDV-E770W home theater system.

This unit only has one HDMI output, and no inputs at all. So how would I go connecting a PS3, an Xbox 360, and a Wii with this setup and still retain high quality HD 5.1 surround sound and video quality (except for the Wii of course)?

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs, so right now I connect the Xbox and PS3 to the TV each with a HDMI cable, and the Wii with A/V cable. So with E770W, I just connect the HDMI out to the TV's 3rd HDMI input, and then somehow through magic, the audio output from the Xbox and PS3 will end up to the surround sound speakers? I'm confused.

Lastly, from your experience, how much does the rear-speaker-wireless S-Air setup affect home Wi-Fi network? Do you notice notable internet speed drop/disconnect? How's the sound quality compares to wire connection?

Thanks very much! Appreciate the help!
post #34 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 PM

More or less, yes...everything connects to your TV. You connect the HDMI on the back of the sony unit to another HDMI input on your TV, that is for the dvd only. You then run an optical cable from your tv out (your tv should have this) to the sony receiver optical in. You choose the TV mode on the sony to watch everything but the DVD. When you watch a DVD, obviously you would choose the DVD mode on the sony receiver. Doing it this way will put everything in surround. It works fine for me this way.

I have no problem with the wireless slowing me down at all. I got a new router so I connect to the tv at 5ghz and all other wireless devices connect at 2.4ghz. It's a linksys dual band router, about $150 at target. It will give you 2 SSID's when you look at your tv. Just choose the 5g connection and you that will improve your speed nicely on netflix, as long as your tv is not too far away from your access point. The range on 5g is a lot less than 2.4ghz, but 5ghz is wider so can handle more. Mine is only about 15 ft away, so 5g works perfectly!
post #35 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I see the new update online. I turned off the auto update feature inside the unit to not be notified of any updates. I am not updating this thing ever again. What a hassle to send it in to texas and wait to get it back. On 624 my internet would not work at all. I don't know what went wrong, but if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. The new version, 708, states that it improves connectivity with the ipod touch. I want to upgrade as there appears to be new features and bug fixes, but the risk outweighs the reward. If you do upgrade, let us know how it went for you. Also, do you upgrade with a CD or do you download it directly to the unit?

For past updates I used my wireless connection to download directly to the unit. What version are you running (when you got the unit back from Sony)?
post #36 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM

I am running version 588. It is the same version I was running before I put in 624, which ended my internet. I did 1 upgrade when I bought it and upgraded to version 588 which was successful. I don't remember what version was on it before 588, but I did the upgrade from a cd. I heard of too many people killing their units doing it wirelessly, but it shouldn't be a problem as it downloads first, then installs.
post #37 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

More or less, yes...everything connects to your TV. You connect the HDMI on the back of the sony unit to another HDMI input on your TV, that is for the dvd only. You then run an optical cable from your tv out (your tv should have this) to the sony receiver optical in. You choose the TV mode on the sony to watch everything but the DVD. When you watch a DVD, obviously you would choose the DVD mode on the sony receiver. Doing it this way will put everything in surround. It works fine for me this way.

I have no problem with the wireless slowing me down at all. I got a new router so I connect to the tv at 5ghz and all other wireless devices connect at 2.4ghz. It's a linksys dual band router, about $150 at target. It will give you 2 SSID's when you look at your tv. Just choose the 5g connection and you that will improve your speed nicely on netflix, as long as your tv is not too far away from your access point. The range on 5g is a lot less than 2.4ghz, but 5ghz is wider so can handle more. Mine is only about 15 ft away, so 5g works perfectly!

Thank you for your reply downtick!

Unfortunately, my TV does not have any optical outputs, it only has this Digital Audio Out (Coaxial):

So will this limit the audio quality?
post #38 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM

I am surprised your TV does not have an optical out. I suggest you buy a converter. They sell them on ebay for about $20. See ebay item number 330467164256. This should do it for you. The sony system as sophisticated as it is, really isn't. It is very limited with the inputs, but so is your tv with not having an optical out. My tv is like 3 years old and it has both, but my brand new dishnetwork DVR only has coaxial digital out as well, no optical! I don't get it. But whatever, this should work for you.

Also, they make these things that go both ways, so if you get one, make sure you get the one I listed above! And of course, you will need to buy a coaxial cable and a toslink optical cable.

Also, for your wii, they sell on ebay a cable that connects to your component video in connections on the back of your tv instead of the standard rca that the wii comes with. I bought one of those cables on ebay for $5 (see ebay item number 230526778487) . The video is a little better and if you use your wii a lot and your component jacks on the back of your tv are available, you should get that as well.
post #39 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks man, looks like that converter requires an external power source, lol... you should have seen the mess behind my TV stand, I've already got 2 power stripes down there.

Anyways, just to clarify, so you are saying that with this particular home theater system (E770W), I will not have sound output to the surround sound speakers if I just use the coaxial digital output?
post #40 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM

You will have surround using just the coaxial. I forgot that the 770 has coaxial input on the back. Non of my components other than my dishnetwork receiver have a coaxial out. Should work fine though. You would only need the converter if the sony did not have coaxial input, but if I remember correctly, I do think that it does have this input.
post #41 of 195 Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:

You will have surround using just the coaxial. I forgot that the 770 has coaxial input on the back. Non of my components other than my dishnetwork receiver have a coaxial out. Should work fine though. You would only need the converter if the sony did not have coaxial input, but if I remember correctly, I do think that it does have this input.

Great, thank you for your answers! Too bad I can't rep+ you.
post #42 of 195 Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Does anyone have intermittent no sound with the bdve770w?
post #43 of 195 Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasernat View Post

Does anyone have intermittent no sound with the bdve770w?

I do, out of the rear speakers only. I have no idea how to fix it nor does sony. I tried all 3 channels on the wireless, all options in the menus, and still the same.
post #44 of 195 Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I updated to the new version 708 via my wireless network and so far have not had any problems. I can now connect my ipod touch.
post #45 of 195 Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Hello,
I have a BDV-E770W system but I don't have the wireless transceivers. The sounds is pretty good with the front speakers, but would like to see how good the sound is with the sourround speakers connected. I have been looking at how much the wireless transceivers and the required TA-SA200WR amplifier costs but it doesn't seem like I will be able to purchase.

Has anybody looked at bypassing the wireless component and connect the rear speakers directly?

Thanks!
post #46 of 195 Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM

I've been using one of these htib's with a Sony KDL-60EX700 TV for a couple of weeks and when changing sources on the TV or channels on the cable box all audio cuts out. Have to power cycle the BDV-E770W to get it back which takes a while since it first goes into standby before finally shutting down. I'm using the Audio Return Channel function (page 19 of BDV manual) which uses a single HDMI cable to send audio from TV to BDV (and video from BDV to TV). I also have a single HDMI between Comcast Motorola DCX-3400 DVR and TV. I don't seem to have any audio sync issues but the intermittent cutting out is getting very annoying. Anyone else using this interconnection and having similar probs? Also - pretty sure I have the latest firmware (how do you find the current version?) since it did an update right after I powered it up the first time (on wired home network).
post #47 of 195 Old 10-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Help I am a complete noob!

I have the E770w setup and had a 65" rear projection tv. Well a week after buying the e770w my tv dies. Its not worth the replacement costs so I decided I finally want a projector like the Acer HD5360.

I am assuming I can connect the HDMI from the projector up to the 770w and all will work fine for netflix, blu rays, etc?

My second question is, what about movies from my pc for 3d blu ray? If I have HDMI from my PC video card to the projector then I need audio out of my pc. How do I connect the 770w to my pc for sound?
post #48 of 195 Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu View Post

I have the E770w setup and had a 65" rear projection tv. Well a week after buying the e770w my tv dies. Its not worth the replacement costs so I decided I finally want a projector like the Acer HD5360.

I am assuming I can connect the HDMI from the projector up to the 770w and all will work fine for netflix, blu rays, etc?

Hi mujzeptu, shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

My second question is, what about movies from my pc for 3d blu ray? If I have HDMI from my PC video card to the projector then I need audio out of my pc. How do I connect the 770w to my pc for sound?

The E770w has two audio input, optical input which is digital and analog (red & white) input.
post #49 of 195 Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

The projector will need to support ARC (Audio Return Channel) over HDMI 1.4 to make this work. It does work most of the time for me with a Sony flat screen - occasionally self mutes when changing channels on cable box but totally random to this point. If it continues I may have to switch to optical which both TV and E770 support.
post #50 of 195 Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 AM

It seems that this wouldnt' work well.
post #51 of 195 Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM

I verified on the 770w that if you are watching dvds/netflix it doesnt need audio out cabling. I just had video and it played through the speakers fine, so this should work for my projector the same.

As far as from the pc, I went ahead and got a 3.5mm mini jack to toslink cable to run audio to the 770w.

My question now is, Can the 770w just take audio in and play it without "needing" video or anything running on the 770w? Can I just have it sitting idle taking audio in and playing on my speakers?
post #52 of 195 Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I verified on the 770w that if you are watching dvds/netflix it doesnt need audio out cabling. I just had video and it played through the speakers fine, so this should work for my projector the same.

As far as from the pc, I went ahead and got a 3.5mm mini jack to toslink cable to run audio to the 770w.

My question now is, Can the 770w just take audio in and play it without "needing" video or anything running on the 770w? Can I just have it sitting idle taking audio in and playing on my speakers?

You should be able to do this since you can listen to the FM tuner without TV or anything else being on or connected. Just select Audio with Function button on remote.
post #53 of 195 Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post

I've been using one of these htib's with a Sony KDL-60EX700 TV for a couple of weeks and when changing sources on the TV or channels on the cable box all audio cuts out. Have to power cycle the BDV-E770W to get it back which takes a while since it first goes into standby before finally shutting down. I'm using the Audio Return Channel function (page 19 of BDV manual) which uses a single HDMI cable to send audio from TV to BDV (and video from BDV to TV). I also have a single HDMI between Comcast Motorola DCX-3400 DVR and TV. I don't seem to have any audio sync issues but the intermittent cutting out is getting very annoying. Anyone else using this interconnection and having similar probs? Also - pretty sure I have the latest firmware (how do you find the current version?) since it did an update right after I powered it up the first time (on wired home network).

Updating this issue: I do have latest firmware and problem appears to go away by turning off "Control for HDMI" and "Audio Return Channel" in Audio Setup. Had to run an optical cable from TV to BDV for TV sound. There are some drawbacks to this workaround: (1) Lipsynch issues which can't be corrected by A/V synch setting in BDV (2) Have to keep a third remote around to control volume. (3) Renders the Bravia Sync pretty much useless - have to turn all devices on separately with own remote.
post #54 of 195 Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
jff6791, now you got me worried. I just bought a 770w and my KDL-60EX700 is on its way. I have in mind to have your exact initial connection scheme (HDMI from Dish Network receiver to TV, and HDMI with audio channel return from BDV to TV). Please tell me again what the problem was with that set up for you; you lost sound every time you changed the channel on your satellite box? Really? Also, what do you mean by "changing source on the TV"?

I would appreciate your input. I was really looking forward to making use of the Bravia sync functionalities between these two Sony products. Not sure anymore...
post #55 of 195 Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

jff6791, now you got me worried. I just bought a 770w and my KDL-60EX700 is on its way. I have in mind to have your exact initial connection scheme (HDMI from Dish Network receiver to TV, and HDMI with audio channel return from BDV to TV). Please tell me again what the problem was with that set up for you; you lost sound every time you changed the channel on your satellite box? Really? Also, what do you mean by "changing source on the TV"?

I would appreciate your input. I was really looking forward to making use of the Bravia sync functionalities between these two Sony products. Not sure anymore...

Not using it with satellite - cable via Comcast/Motorola STB/DVR DCX3400. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.
post #56 of 195 Old 10-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post

Not using it with satellite - cable via Comcast/Motorola STB/DVR DCX3400. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.

That would be great. Thanks. By the way, how recently did you buy your 770W and did you do any firmware updates? I got mine about a week ago. It did not say anything about a firmware update when I set it up. And how about the EX700; any firmware updates for it?
post #57 of 195 Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

That would be great. Thanks. By the way, how recently did you buy your 770W and did you do any firmware updates? I got mine about a week ago. It did not say anything about a firmware update when I set it up. And how about the EX700; any firmware updates for it?

Got both TV and theater about three weeks ago. They are both set up to check automatically for updates (see System Settings). The BDV detected an update right after it was powered up and the TV does this function while in standby (off). Both units are on wired ethernet.
post #58 of 195 Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Well, audio wont play.

I have a 3.5mm to toslink cable from my pc (or mp3 player) into the toslink input port and nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to play.

Is there some setting I need to check or anything special I have to do? Can others confirm this works? It says its a TV port, does that matter?
post #59 of 195 Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM

Can I use the HDMI 1.4 (with ethernet) connection from my my Sony KDL-60EX700 to my 770W (which is connected to the internet wirelessly through the supplied USB dongle) to connect the TV to the internet, and if so, how do I set that up? Would appreciate any thoughts.
post #60 of 195 Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Well, audio wont play.

I have a 3.5mm to toslink cable from my pc (or mp3 player) into the toslink input port and nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to play.

Is there some setting I need to check or anything special I have to do? Can others confirm this works? It says its a TV port, does that matter?
Select TV on the theater input - hit "function" on remote until it shows up on the front panel display.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page