Official BDV-E770W Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 195 Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I have gone into inputs and gone to tv. It comes up with the black and blue background and just sits there with no audio. I've gone through the choices of music, news, etc and notta.

I did notice I get an error, "not in use" when I try sometimes. Is that a cable problem or something with my receiver or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 195 Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu View Post

Yeah I have gone into inputs and gone to tv. It comes up with the black and blue background and just sits there with no audio. I've gone through the choices of music, news, etc and notta.

I did notice I get an error, "not in use" when I try sometimes. Is that a cable problem or something with my receiver or what?

Any chance the 3.5mm jack on PC is analog only and not outputting digital audio? The end of the cable (that would go into theater) should glow red if the fiber has a digital signal on it. (At least mine does when it's connected to TV digital audio out). NOTE: Don't look directly into end of the connector at laser output!
post #63 of 195 Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Hmmm still not working. I am not sure if its a bad cable or what.

All I am trying to do is blay blu ray movies and pc games from my computer to a projector. I want the sound from my pc for movies/games to play through my speakers.

If I got a rca to 3.5mm would it decrease quality/performance? Should I look at something other options?
post #64 of 195 Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujzeptu View Post
Hmmm still not working. I am not sure if its a bad cable or what.

All I am trying to do is blay blu ray movies and pc games from my computer to a projector. I want the sound from my pc for movies/games to play through my speakers.

If I got a rca to 3.5mm would it decrease quality/performance? Should I look at something other options?
Just for information - when I connected my laptop to TV (Sony 60 in LCD - not a projector) via HDMI the sound looped back to home theater via Audio Return Channel (ARC). You have to enable this in theater under System Settings for HDMI.
post #65 of 195 Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Alright so I fail.

I was trying from an analog output on my pc. Once I tried from the digital (rca on my pc) it worked great. Now I need an rca cable 75 ohms.

Can I just use the yellow video RCA cables sine their ohms are rated high enough? Do you HAVE to have the orange cable to do audio?
post #66 of 195 Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone figured out the connection to PC via DLNA yet? The 770W "sees" the files on my PC and displays the right folders and files with the correct names, but when I click on a file (whether a photo, movie, or song), the system seems to try acquiring the info and then... nothing. No picture displayed and no song or movie played! Is there anything in the setup that I need to change?
post #67 of 195 Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Anyone figured out the connection to PC via DLNA yet? The 770W "sees" the files on my PC and displays the right folders and files with the correct names, but when I click on a file (whether a photo, movie, or song), the system seems to try acquiring the info and then... nothing. No picture displayed and no song or movie played! Is there anything in the setup that I need to change?

I found the same issue. Apparently Sony set this up to only recognize media in FAT32 file system and not NTFS which mine (and prob yours) are. I don't know if you can set up a FAT32 partition on a NTFS drive and move the files there - haven't tried that or investigated pros and cons.
post #68 of 195 Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post

I found the same issue. Apparently Sony set this up to only recognize media in FAT32 file system and not NTFS which mine (and prob yours) are. I don't know if you can set up a FAT32 partition on a NTFS drive and move the files there - haven't tried that or investigated pros and cons.

I'm a computer novice and admit I don't know how to do that. Let me know if you try it and it works though. Thanks.
post #69 of 195 Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 AM

So if a TV is connected to the 770W with component cables, how could one listen to the audio on the TV speakers and not the receiver speakers (like late at night when baby and mom are asleep and all hell will break loose if they wake up); I don't see any audio out jacks on the back of the receiver...?!!!
post #70 of 195 Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

So if a TV is connected to the 770W with component cables, how could one listen to the audio on the TV speakers and not the receiver speakers (like late at night when baby and mom are asleep and all hell will break loose if they wake up); I don't see any audio out jacks on the back of the receiver...?!!!

Hi myared, HDMI cable connection is the only way get audio to Tv. There is an Audio Output menu with options to set either to Speakers, HDMI or Speaker+HDMI.
post #71 of 195 Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi myared, HDMI cable connection is the only way get audio to TV. There is an Audio Output menu with options to set either to Speakers, HDMI or Speaker+HDMI.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid to hear... You would think Sony would at least put a simple analog audio out (or even better, a digital audio out), but noooo. Thanks JChin.
post #72 of 195 Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM

My TV is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and digital optical cable. I get sound thru the surround speakers when I turn the TV and receiver on but as soon as I change channels on the TV it reverts to the TV speakers. If I switch the receiver off and back on, the sound is again thru the surround but again reverts to TV when I switch channels. What's up?
post #73 of 195 Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat408 View Post

My TV is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and digital optical cable. I get sound thru the surround speakers when I turn the TV and receiver on but as soon as I change channels on the TV it reverts to the TV speakers. If I switch the receiver off and back on, the sound is again thru the surround but again reverts to TV when I switch channels. What's up?

Hi tomcat408, appears to be a HDMI Control feature thats causing it.

Try either turning Off HDMI Control on the Tv or receiver.
post #74 of 195 Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Not using it with satellite - cable via Com cast/Motorola STAB/DR DEX. The frustrating thing is it doesn't happen with every channel change - just some times. But very annoying since it locks up the BLVD and you have to power cycle it to get sound back. I thought it happened once when I changed the TV input to an internet app but have not been able to reproduce. I put a trouble ticket in at Sony support and their initial response was to try turning off "Control for HDMI" on BDV which was not the answer I was looking for and responded accordingly. They now want to torture me with phone support. I think they are aware of the issue but when or if it will be addressed is the question. Will post more info from them here if I get any.

jff6791, I'm not sure if you're still having the audio cut off issue...

Now that I've had both the BDV-E770W and the KDL-60EX700 for a while, I've run into the same issue on rare occasions. I found out that when that happens, the E770W is set to "Home". All I do is hit the Function button on the E770W remote to return the set to TV and the audio comes back. There is no need to power the E770W down and then up again. Hope this helps.
post #75 of 195 Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

jff6791, I'm not sure if you're still having the audio cut off issue...

Now that I've had both the BDV-E770W and the KDL-60EX700 for a while, I've run into the same issue on rare occasions. I found out that when that happens, the E770W is set to "Home". All I do is hit the Function button on the E770W remote to return the set to TV and the audio comes back. There is no need to power the E770W down and then up again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. When mine mutes the display still reads TV and you can select any of the other functions but they are also muted - e.g. tuner shows a active station but no audio. You also can't open the DVD drawer with either remote or front panel. The cable box is definitely triggering the problem when shifting between different resolution inputs. Are you using a STB or DVR with your setup?
post #76 of 195 Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. When mine mutes the display still reads TV and you can select any of the other functions but they are also muted - e.g. tuner shows a active station but no audio. You also can't open the DVD drawer with either remote or front panel. The cable box is definitely triggering the problem when shifting between different resolution inputs. Are you using a STB or DVR with your setup?

DishNetwork DVR.
post #77 of 195 Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I finally hard wired both the E770W and the KDL60EX700 to my router and what do you know, they now both "see" and play the photo and song files I have on my computer. I did not change any settings. I noticed one thing different from before the hard wire set up; my PC detected both the TV and AVR (which did happen when connected through Wi Fi) but also asked if I wanted to allow them access (which did not happen when I was connecting to the PC through Wi Fi). Go figure... Also, for some reason, both the TV and AVR are still not detecting the movies I have on the PC, including those in AVCHD! Will post if I figure that one out.
post #78 of 195 Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I finally hard wired both the E770W and the KDL60EX700 to my router and what do you know, they now both "see" and play the photo and song files I have on my computer. I did not change any settings. I noticed one thing different from before the hard wire set up; my PC detected both the TV and AVR (which did happen when connected through Wi Fi) but also asked if I wanted to allow them access (which did not happen when I was connecting to the PC through Wi Fi). Go figure... Also, for some reason, both the TV and AVR are still not detecting the movies I have on the PC, including those in AVCHD! Will post if I figure that one out.
Yeah that file system info was either old or bogus - it came from the KDL60EX700 thread on this site. Seems Sony set this up to only recognize video files in MPEG format - this from Sony Support Forum and that's what I'm finding also. Try this: server software. Not free (after trial) and not HD but can stream video files from your PC in most formats. Also adds access to other web material that sony doesn't have at moment.
post #79 of 195 Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah that file system info was either old or bogus - it came from the KDL60EX700 thread on this site. Seems Sony set this up to only recognize video files in MPEG format - this from Sony Support Forum and that's what I'm finding also. Try this: server software. Not free (after trial) and not HD but can stream video files from your PC in most formats. Also adds access to other web material that sony doesn't have at moment.
I actually copied all my AVCHD movies to a hard drive which I connected to the TV via USB. Works great. Thanks for the tip though.
post #80 of 195 Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Picked up a BDV the other day...

Sounds decent, love the wireless rears, decently priced HTIB.

I have a Samsung plasma, xbox 360, and a Motorola DVR DCX3400. I'm thinking it's pretty much impossible to get Dolby Digital out of the Xbox/360 in this setup, unfortunately.

In order to get DD out of the cable box, I have to use a digital coax (who came up with that name for a glorified RCA cable, lol).

Regarding DLNA

What a PITA this is. Soooo picky. Anyhow, this is what I've found.

Microsoft Windows 7 DLNA is pretty crappy. Works ok with the Xbox, does not with my samsung TV nor the BDV. All devices see it, but only the Xbox/360 will actually play any of the media.

Before I got the BDV I successfully streamed media to my Samsung TV using
http://www.serviio.org/ Once I got the BDV, I wanted to use that as my streaming server (figured the DD would work better, plus the interface is a little nicer).

None of the profiles that came with servvio seemed to work with the Sony, so I created a profile using some help from the support forum

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=664#p3682

and it works! I haven't thrown everything at it yet, but it seems to play avi, mp4, divx, and h.264 so far.

It's unfortunate the DLNA is so darned picky, I can't create a single media server that 'just works'. Once I select the profile for the Sony, the TV's DLNA doesn't work anymore but I'm happy enough with it working for the Sony.
post #81 of 195 Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 PM

I tried Serviio but had no luck. The Bravia set or BDV theater would not recognize server. Help FAQ at site was no help. Ended up with Mezzmo . Not free (after trial) but it works.
post #82 of 195 Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM

It didn't work as well as I originally thought. Tried WMP12, Servvio, Mezzmo, and Tversity. None of them played all the files I wanted, or allowed FF/REW all the time.

Decided that my Samsung TV + Serviio did DLNA much, much better than the Sony BD.
post #83 of 195 Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM

735 firmware update is out..anyone put in on yet?
post #84 of 195 Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I have the same symptoms. When it happens and I switch to the HDMI source on my TV, it is showing a message on the screen that says "Mode Not Supported". I called last night and after an hour of trying different things (the normal resetting and going through the easy setup) was told by a sony help tech/operator that it has an internal memory error and he gave me an order number to return it to Larado, TX for repairs. He came to this conclusion when he found out that it took > 1 minute to shut down from standby. He said it should take but about 2 seconds to do this but it wouldn't/couldn't clear it's corrupt memory chip. Now I don't really believe that this guy on the phone was any kind of tech but just reading from a list so I think they know they have some bad memory chips and are still selling them in case someone doesn't notice for what ever reason.
I'm going to exchange mine with Best Buy tonight and see if I have better luck. I remember seeing at the bottom of the serial number label a line that read "September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010" so I'm going to try to find one outside of these date, although I feel like that is very unlikely. If not, I'm going to look for one with the serial number the furthest away from my current number, 88436**, to see if I can get one that was built out side of the affected chips. If this doesn't work, I'll just change the serial number on the service ticket and send it back.

Over all, I'm very pleased with the sound and performance from this model besides the obvious annoyance of the loss of sound. The reviews for simular systems spoke bad of their sound, which is the main point of a sound/theater system so I decided I'm going to be persistent with this and try to get a good one rather than settle for something less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtick View Post

735 firmware update is out..anyone put in on yet?

I put it on last night with no noticeable change in anything. It would be nice if sony would publish what each update was 'fixing' and let you skip them if you don't have a problem.
post #85 of 195 Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK. View Post

... He came to this conclusion when he found out that it took > 1 minute to shut down from standby. He said it should take but about 2 seconds to do this but it wouldn't/couldn't clear it's corrupt memory chip...

Interesting. Mine takes like 2 minutes or so to shut down from standby. I will NOT, however, have my unit opened up for any repairs just because of that (mine is past the free return period). I do lose audio on rare occasions and most of the time all I have to do is get the E770W back to TV mode and audio comes back.

I would be interested to know from other owners how long it takes their unit to shut down from the moment they press the power button and standby starts flashing.
post #86 of 195 Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Interesting. Mine takes like 2 minutes or so to shut down from standby. I will NOT, however, have my unit opened up for any repairs just because of that (mine is past the free return period). I do lose audio on rare occasions and most of the time all I have to do is get the E770W back to TV mode and audio comes back.

I would be interested to know from other owners how long it takes their unit to shut down from the moment they press the power button and standby starts flashing.

I got my replacement unit setup last night and did some testing. It's one built in May - July 2010, ser# 8831*** and it still does the same thing but seems less severe.
If I don't lock it up, it takes 20 seconds to shut down.
If I do lock it up, it takes about 76 seconds to shut down.

I didn't have time to do any extensive testing as my wife was getting a bit irritated with me but it seems it will only lock up if I go down in resolution so it seems to be having the problem when changing from 5.1 to 2 channel stereo. When I do lock it up, I do have control over the functions but changing from tv to something else and back to tv doesn't fix it but sound will return after about 12-16 minutes if I don't shut it down.

I'm like you in that I'm not real thrilled with the aspect of sending it in for repairs. For me that seems a lot like buying a "pre factory refurbished" system

When I was researching systems and decided on the sony, I was also looking at an Onkyo setup and a Denon, which both were a bit more pricey with having to buy speakers and a BD player but had a lot of features I felt like I would never need. Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to trade the devil I know for the devil I don't. I may try to get hold of some one at sony to see if they will make an extended warranty concession and send me a working factory refurbished system or else I'll turn all the best buy's inventory around me into defective returns
post #87 of 195 Old 12-24-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK. View Post

I put it on last night with no noticeable change in anything. It would be nice if sony would publish what each update was 'fixing' and let you skip them if you don't have a problem.
If you click on the file on sony's site, it tells you what it is improving on.

My issue is with the wireless speakers. They come in and out all the time, very annoying. I think it is my TV. I have tried 2 units and both do the same which leads me to believe my tv is not communicating well with the unit. I use the optical out on the tv to the optical in on the sony unit for the audio. Must be a problem there somewhere. My tv has not had a firmware update in almost 2 years. It is a hitachi 55" Plasma HDTV. I hope when I get a new lcd tv this does not happen, the audio fading in and out is quite annoying.
post #88 of 195 Old 12-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

My issue is with the wireless speakers. They come in and out all the time, very annoying. I think it is my TV. I have tried 2 units and both do the same which leads me to believe my tv is not communicating well with the unit. I use the optical out on the tv to the optical in on the sony unit for the audio. Must be a problem there somewhere. My tv has not had a firmware update in almost 2 years. It is a hitachi 55" Plasma HDTV. I hope when I get a new lcd tv this does not happen, the audio fading in and out is quite annoying.

I have the same issue with audio from the surrounds cutting out randomly and then coming back... My TV is a brand new Sony KDL-60EX700 with the latest firmware. I have it connected to the BDV-E770W with 1.4 HDMI with audio channel return.

I think this is a problem with the HTB and not the TV or the type of connection between it and the HTB. I'm afraid you might still have the problem even with a new LCD TV. Hope I'm wrong...
post #89 of 195 Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 PM

not many people seem to have this problem though. No idea what it could be. I spoke to sony many times about this, changed all settings, etc...and still nothing. the fact that i had this problem with multiple boxes tells me it may not be the receiver..any ideas what to try next?
post #90 of 195 Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Found it. Thanks.
Quote:

Could it be the source to your tv that is changing audio formats, ie cable/sat box or DVR? Does it do it when playing a bluray or DVD/CD? Just because 2 different units did the same thing doesn't implicate your TV. I haven't had the fade outs but some of my cable sources aren't broadcast in 5.1 so I only receive 2.1 but when I do watch a 5.1 source, it doesn't change. I don't see many people talking about the lose of sound that myared and I are experiencing but I do just use the receivers built into my tv, no set top box, so I do wonder if a cable/sat box may upscale everything to a constant resolution, which would mask the problem I have.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page