AVS Forum banner

Official BDV-E770W Thread

Tags
sony
63K views 194 replies 39 participants last post by  AutobahnSHO 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone! This is my first time starting a thread & reviewing anything on AVS Forum, so please be gentle...

Last month I purchased one of the last Sony HT-CT500 Sound Bars left in Phoenix, AZ at the local Fry's Electronics, hoping for a small footprint solution for my home theater needs.

I found that the soundbar produced enough volume and did a great job of integrating my inputs (PS3, DirecTV HDDVR, HDMI Laptop) but I didn't care for the lack of true surround sound, especially when watching movies and HD television programs.

So I went back to Fry's Electronics, and spoke with a salesman about the brand new Sony BDV-E770W . It was a $250 more than the Sony Soundbar, but it had tons more to offer: internet radio ( Slacker , Pandora ); Video On Demand ( Sony's Qriocity ), an XMB similar to the Playstation 3, and best of all... wireless surround speakers. The two wireless rear speakers (TA-SA200WR) use the Sony S-AIR technology to communicate with the main unit by means of a medium sized box & amplifier, and are the same size as the front left/right speakers and have a 167w max output.

I was immediately impressed with the amount of sound produced by such small speakers
, according to the Sony specifications it has 1000w total system output. If you see them in person, you will be surprised at how loud these little speakers can get.

Initial setup:

The first difficulty I encountered was the total lack of HDMI inputs.
It does allow for two digital audio inputs- an optical input for "TV" and a digital PCM input for "SAT/CABLE". Luckily my Sony Bravia TV ( KDL-46W3000 ) has several HD inputs, so I was able to use the component out for my DirecTV HD DVR HR22-100 , HDMI in from the Sony BDV-E770W, HDMI in from my laptop PC, and HDMI from my PS3. If DirecTV decides to start broadcasting everything in 1080p, I might need to get an HDMI input box, but until then I'm fine with 1080i.

It took about 2 hours to get everything unpacked, all the cables routed in my armoir, pair the S-AIR surround speakers with the main unit, and let the auto-configure microphone set the levels for each speaker. The XMB style interface is quite similar to my Bravia TV & the PS3 I own, so navigation was pretty easy. Configuring the WiFi was probably the biggest pain, and took me quite a few times through manual configuration and trial & error before it recognized my network. Perhaps this part of the setup would have been easier if it had better WiFi reception, as the included USB dongle is not very powerful.

After hooking everything up, I played a few minutes of the new Avatar Blu-ray and was amazed at how full the surround sound is, in addition to the superb downward-facing subwoofer. Sound quality gets a 10/10, and from what my ears can detect it remains clear and undistorted throughout the sonic range.

I haven't been able to test every internet feature yet, but Slacker radio works great, I especially like the selection of different genres available. Pandora isn't currently supported by this version of firmware, but I was told by a Sony Support rep via chat that it will be available in June. Hopefully Pandora will allow me to sign in and use my customized channels, I really enjoy the customization over the Slacker options.

Going forward I will be testing out more of the internet features, Qriocity, perhaps improving my wifi reception

Positives:

-Internet radio

-Bravia Sync works with my TV

-Amazing sound from a very small footprint

Negatives:

-Wireless USB dongle has very poor reception compared to my PS3

-Mirror finish on the front is a fingerprint magnet

-Pandora doesn't work just yet

Concerns:

-I'll have to keep an eye out for firmware update problems, as a few other early adopters have reported via the SonyStyle product reviews. I bought mine yesterday and checked for a network update, but thankfully it looks like it was updated prior to packaging or they have pulled the update.

-Getting my Logitech Harmony 520 remote to work with the receiver will take some time in order to get all the macros working correctly.

-Wireless reception is pretty lame and the best I can get is 30% strength from where it is currently located. I may set up a WiFi repeater node in the armoir where the TV & components are located.

I will do my best to answer any replies, or questions sent via PM, and I look forward to following this initial review with a follow-up review in a few weeks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just setup this unit and am very happy with one big exception. I have my DIRECTV HD DVR connected to the unit via an optical cable. While most of the time the audio is great and in sync, intermittently the audio will loose sync. Ultimately, the lip sync worsens until it's 5 or more seconds out of sync. Have you had this problem if you have a comparable setup? It appears this problem might be a result of no HDMI inputs and the need to use the optical input for audio for my HD DIRECTV receiver. It just seems unusual that sometimes the lip sync is fine and then for no clear reason becomes very out of sync? I've only noticed this on DIRECTV... the sync is fine on Blu Ray and Netflix.

Thanks,

Andrew

#3 ·
Yes I have noticed this, but I thought that it is something limited to my particular setup. I also have optical audio going from the DirecTV HDDVR to the Sony BDV-E770W, but for the video output I am using component cables from the DirecTV to my Sony Bravia TV. I have not tried using HDMI to the TV, but I suppose that could resolve the issue.

Usually when it gets out of sync I will see a flicker on the TV, about a microsecond long and then the video is behind the audio. To fix it I will hit pause on my DVR, wait a second or more, and resume play. This fixes it 99% of the time, and if it is still out of sync, I do it again and that definitely resolves the problem. I suspect that the separate audio/video cables are not exactly synchronized, and the DirecTV unit does not do a very good job of matching the speed of the audio to the speed of the video.

#4 ·
I'm using HDMI for video: HDMI out from my DIRECTV HD DVR into my Sony LCD. The problem really becomes intolerable after about 10 minutes of watching...it must have something to do with using HDMI or component for video and optical for audio into the Home Theater System. It's a shame since the unit has good surround, but if it's always out of sync for external sources, it only works for Blu-Ray and Netflix. It seems other users of similar systems without HDMI inputs have the same issue. Do you think the only solution is to get a unit with HDMI inputs?

Thanks,

Andrew

#5 ·
I suspect that including an HDMI input would eliminate the audio & video being out of synch, but it happens rarely enough for me that I can live with it. Have you tried to pause/play? Did that have any effect?

I know that the OS has been a major problem for other users attempting to upgrade, so I assume this could be an item that they might be able to address within their software. If it were me, I would try to contact Sony support before giving up completely on the unit, unless you're totally fed up with it, that is.

-Aron

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_friday /forum/post/18799411

I am currently using a HDMI cable from my PS3 to my TV, and I have the TV's audio-out (optical) connected to the optical audio input on my BDV-E770W.

Hi freaky_friday, with this setup what audio format does the E770W display, DD 5.1 or 2CH Stereo?

Reason I ask is because when a source is connected via HDMI, the KDL-46W3000 will output 2CH Stereo from Digital Out (Optical).

#9 ·
I just got the BDV-E770w yesterday. I have encountered a few problems:

1) When I connect my iPod touch 2nd generation to the unit using the front usb port, I get no sound and the muting light flashes on and off.

2) I get great sound from the speakers using Netflix, Slacker etc., but no sound while viewing TV from my Dish box.->I currently have the tv hooked up to the BDV-E770w with HDMI. Do I also need to connect the tv to the BDV-E770 using the digital coaxial port?

Any help would be much appreciated!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonk123 /forum/post/18848124

I just got the BDV-E770w yesterday. I have encountered a few problems:

1) When I connect my iPod touch 2nd generation to the unit using the front usb port, I get no sound and the muting light flashes on and off.

2) I get great sound from the speakers using Netflix, Slacker etc., but no sound while viewing TV from my Dish box.->I currently have the tv hooked up to the BDV-E770w with HDMI. Do I also need to connect the tv to the BDV-E770 using the digital coaxial port?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi smonk123, not sure about queston 1. But for question 2 if the Dish Box has optical out jack, connect an optical cable from it to E770w. This way you can still have Tv sound without E770w On.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, I think the USB port is only compatible with an external hard drive, thumb drive, or the wireless adapter. I haven't tried the external hard drive yet, and I wonder about its compatibility with anything other than FAT32 file systems (e.g. NTFS, HFS, etc).

If you want to use your iPod, I suggest getting this adapter . Yes, it's expensive but I think it will do the job.

#13 ·
As an update to my prior post:

I connected the tv to the bdv e770 via the digital optical port and can now play tv through the speakers.

I changed the hdmi settings and it solved the flashing mute issue that occurred when playing blu ray and using the iPod through the usb port.

However, I am still having problems playing the iPod touch 2nd gen through the usb port. I have gotten it to play once and every other time the iPod shows up under the music menu and the iPod charges, but, does not play. Has anyone else had iPod problems??? The manual says that the iPod touch 2nd gen is compatible.

#15 ·
Has anyone here put the new firmware M04.R.624 on the unit? I did and now my internet is gone. I keep getting a 169.254.xx.xx ip which means it no longer receives an ip from the dhcp server inside of my router. I believe it corrupted the winsock inside the unit which is easy to fix on a pc, but sony told me there is no way of resetting it myself. Anyway, sometimes I can connect and stream netflix but within 5 mins, it drops and that's it. I called sony and spoke to tier 3 support. They told me they are getting a lot of calls of this happening with this firmware and they told me to return the unit to them for replacement. They said the firmware is bad yet they leave it up on their site for d/l. Just wondering if anyone else has put this firmware on and is having this issue?

I also got rid of the USB dongle for wifi. Sold it on ebay for $85 and bought an Asus WL-330Ge wireless adapter for $40. It powers off the rear usb port and you just connect the lan cable to the back of the receiver. You setup the security info by connecting it to your pc first. It couldn't be easier to program. You then go into settings of the sony receiver and choose wired setup instead of usb. That's it! It is more powerful than the usb dongle. My router gives me an RSSI number from -41dbm to -50dbm and a quality of around 52. The lower the dbm and the higher the quality the better. The usb gave me a -60dbm and a 39 in quality. Before my firmware update (that killed my internet), I used to get the "loading" a few times while playing a movie on netflix (so annoying!!), with this adapter I never got it any more.

Also, does anyone have an issue with the rear s-air speakers cutting in and out all the time? I don't loose a signal from the s-air transmitter, the light is a steady green and the s-air icon is on on the receiver as well. It just cuts in and out randomly, while watching tv, dvd or streaming netflix. It is only 10ft away and it is a clear view. I tried changing all the audio settings but it still does it!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonk123 /forum/post/18856489

As an update to my prior post:

I connected the tv to the bdv e770 via the digital optical port and can now play tv through the speakers.

I changed the hdmi settings and it solved the flashing mute issue that occurred when playing blu ray and using the iPod through the usb port.

However, I am still having problems playing the iPod touch 2nd gen through the usb port. I have gotten it to play once and every other time the iPod shows up under the music menu and the iPod charges, but, does not play. Has anyone else had iPod problems??? The manual says that the iPod touch 2nd gen is compatible.

what firmware version are you running? You may have to upgrade it, but I would only put on M04.R.588, not the newest M04.R.624 as I have stated above with my issue.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18800535

Hi freaky_friday, with this setup what audio format does the E770W display, DD 5.1 or 2CH Stereo?

Reason I ask is because when a source is connected via HDMI, the KDL-46W3000 will output 2CH Stereo from Digital Out (Optical).

I have mine setup this way as well. All my components connect to my tv via hdmi and my wii through component jacks and rca jacks then I run an optical cable from optical out from my tv to the bdv-e770w. All output in 5.1. If you think about it, if you run hdmi to your tv and optical from your DTV receiver to the bdv unit, I think it is quite possible to have lip sync issues as you are dividing the 2 sources (video and audio). You would be sending video one way and audio the other. You would think this would not be an issue these days, but I guess one is more likely to run faster than the other as it does in many peoples cases. I bet if you turn your tv volume up you will see and hear the audio matching the video through your tv speakers. If you do as I do, connect everything to your tv via HDMI or whatever else you must use and then just take your optical audio out from your tv and run it to the sony BDV unit. I do not have any lip sync issues at all, but maybe this is why my rear speakers cut in and out? It shouldn't effect it though as when I stream netflix or watch a dvd the optical out from the tv has nothing to do with those two sources of playback. Sony has no answer for this issue either. They blame my tv of course.

#19 ·
i get lip sync issues as well. i have had audio via optical and HDMI, still doesnt sync. this is my set up:

Comcast HD -- HDMI -- Sony KDL-55HX800 (slot #1)

BDV-E770W -- HDMI -- Sony KDL-55HX800 (slot #2)

1.) i set the hdmi to have return audio from the TV to the BDV via #2 while using video feed with #1. lip sync issues.

2.) i've also set it up to have comcast receiver to 770W, sync issues.

3.) and tried from TV to 770W via optical, still sync issues.

no matter what combination i try, i get sync issues. this is a problem, probably a firmware issue.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmullin /forum/post/18922831

I am trying to get my E770W to recognize my computer to allow me to use PlayOn. I talked to Sony and they said I would need to hook both my computer and the E770W directly to my router, not via wireless.

Does that sound right? Has anyone else tried to do this?

That is not correct at all. If it will work wired, it will work wireless as well. If you figure out how to do it, please tell. I would love to be able to play video from my pc to the E770w. I tried that utility on sony's site called send to pc, but it does not seem to work with the E770W, at least not for me.

#21 ·
so i switched back to the usb dongle, got a linksys dual band router and now connect with wireless N at 5ghz. the signal has dropped from 100% to 85% with N, but the stream is so solid. I was getting the loading message again and again with the wireless adapter that I had tried, so gave this a try and now it is great. if you want to stream netflix, i recommend a dual band router but only if your mini system is no more than about 40ft away from the router. otherwise, stick with the 2.4ghz band. linksys and d-link both have good routers.

#22 ·
picked this up last night - so far so good.

one thing I can't figure out is the dlna streaming which is driving me nuts because I have a PS3 RIGHT NEXT to this device that's doing the dlna part perfectly (using PS3 Mediaserver)

has anyone used this successfully - any tips?

#23 ·
also, there appears to be some limitations on the USB connectivity - I threw my 500GB myBook external hard drive on there and after about 60s the system locks up.

as far as I can tell the dlna has no functionality - there's some "PC to TV" thing but I couldn't get it to work and again the documentation is awful.

#26 ·
more to add - rear speakers are cutting out on any non-5.1 sound signal, whether that signal comes from inside the box (netflix, dvd) or outside the box (optical, audio cable)

I ran a 5.1 signal from my ps3 via optical to the bdv e7700 and the signal was strong.

since more and more things are going in the direction of 5.1 this shouldn't be an issue.

I also seem to remember this happening on the samsung device that I had for about a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.