HT-S3300 audio return channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just set up my new HT-S3300 with my Panasonic Viera TV and Panasonic Blu-Ray and I have the RIHD setup working quite nicely. However, I am unable to get Audio Return Channel working. My TV gives me the option of sending the audio output to either the TV speakers or the home theater, but with the audio going to the receiver, I get no sound at all. I have the TV/CD audio selected on the receiver (in fact, it gets selected automatically when I switch my TV to the tuner mode).

I have a Panasonic 42PZ85U TV. I'm not sure if this supports HDMI 1.4. Do I need HDMI 1.4 for the audio return channel to work? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

I have a Panasonic 42PZ85U TV. I'm not sure if this supports HDMI 1.4. Do I need HDMI 1.4 for the audio return channel to work? Any ideas?

Yes you do. That is a 2008 model TV, it definitely doesn't have the 1.4 HDMI.

But why not connect an optical cable from the TV to receiver for audio? I take it you use the Over The Air or QAM tuner in the TV and not a cable/satellite box?

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Actually I have cable, but its without any cable box, so essentially my TV is acting as the ATSC tuner. I looked at the user manual for the TV and it seems that it does support sending the audio channel back through the HDMI cable. I think that Panasonic might have implemented this before the HDMI 1.4 standard was accepted. They might be using some proprietary technology until then. The manual says that this feature works with Panasonic's receiver/home theater products only. I hoped that since Onkyo supported all other RIHD stuff, the audio through HDMI would also go through.

I guess I could try out the digital audio cable, but I don't have one handy and TV manual said that the digital audio is only going to be 2ch stereo.

One more question -- when using the audio return channel feature, do I need to make sure that the TV/CD digital audio setting on the receiver is set to some particular audio input?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by htib_today View Post

Actually I have cable, but its without any cable box, so essentially my TV is acting as the ATSC tuner.

It's a QAM tuner for cablebox-less cable. Although your TV should have an ATSC tuner as well.

Quote:

I guess I could try out the digital audio cable, but I don't have one handy and TV manual said that the digital audio is only going to be 2ch stereo.

That setup should get you 5.1 from the QAM tuner (and the ATSC tuner if you ever use an antenna.) The rest (like anything coming over HDMI) would be 2ch stereo.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

That setup should get you 5.1 from the QAM tuner (and the ATSC tuner if you ever use an antenna.) The rest (like anything coming over HDMI) would be 2ch stereo.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. The manual says this:

Code:
When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using DIGITAL AUDIO OUT of this
unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
This got me confused. I thought any audio from Digital Audio Out would be converted to 2ch stereo, not just the audio coming from external components. It still kind of sucks that they would do that, but I guess it's not important.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page