Question for Wireless Rear Speakers on Sony HTS-S370 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-07-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am purchasing the Sony HTS-S370 this weekend but I need the rear speakers to be wireless. I am renting a townhome with hard wood floor and there is no way for me to hide a cord going from my entertainment center to the other side of the room. Plus the wife is not a big fan of cords.

I know Sony's website says that this unit is S-Air ready. I have heard good and bad about the product but it really is the only option I have. What do I need to buy to make the rear speakers wireless meaning not having to drag a cord from one side of the room to the other?

I saw a few things at Amazon and wasn't sure which I actually needed! Also anyone used the S370 with S-Air and if so what's your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rocketfish makes a universal wireless speaker set-up kit (RF-WHTIB) sold at Best Buy
post #3 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
First, for S-AIR, you have to buy the EZW-T100 transmitter that plugs into the back of the receiver.

Then you have to buy a compatible S-AIR speaker system or amp. It's recommended you get a WAHT-SA10 (not AIR-SA10) as this is a separate amp that can drive any rear speakers. The only thing that isn't ideal about the WAHT-SA10 is the fact that it comes with the transmitter for older S-AIR compatible receivers, not the one you need. It is fully compatible with the newer transmitter though. So, you still have to buy the EZW-T100 separately. Note the WAHT unit has been discontinued, but is still available from some retailers. The AIR-SA10 is a totally different product and is a self-contained speaker unit designed more for adding 2nd/3rd room audio than it is for surround sound in the main room.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Would the Rocketfish work with the Sony speakers? Doesn't Sony use their own type of cords?

Also why did Sony discontinue the only seperate amp? Are they going to come out with a new one?

So if this is the case bottom line I would need get get the EZW-T1000 transmitter which goes into the back of the receiver and the WAHT-SA10 which plugs into the rear speakers? Is that correct?
post #5 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just get the Sony 770 Blu-ray HTIB. It's $600 shipped on Amazon and the 370 + Wireless adapter will probably run you $150 or so. Spend $100 more and get a much better setup.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have my PS3 for blu-ray though, which is why I figured not to go to this unit...

Plus I still would have to buy the two S-Air products right?
post #7 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoelster View Post

I have my PS3 for blu-ray though, which is why I figured not to go to this unit...

Plus I still would have to buy the two S-Air products right?

No, the S-Air stuff comes in the box. If you use your PS3 for games and Blu-ray it may not be worth it, but if it's just for Blu-ray...the Sony HTIB is probably a better buy (plus you can sell your PS3).
post #8 of 24 Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ya my ps3 is for both games and bluray... That's why I didn't go for a bluray htib.. Would the rocketfish work instead of the s-air? Will Sony come out with a new wireless receiver since there's is discontinued?
post #9 of 24 Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am having a heck of a time finding a WAHT-SA10 I bought it from two places and they both e-mailed back and said they were out of stock and had no idea if/when they would get these in.. Any one have any idea of where to buy one?

Could I use the AIR-SA10 to make the rear speakers wireless? Why would Sony advertise wireless rear speakers but not even have the transmitter you need to do it?

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!
post #10 of 24 Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM

For what it's worth I use the Rocketfish and love it, works great. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work but I guess you might need to check with them.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't the Rocket Fish just work with standard speaker cable? And doesn't Sony use a proprietary cord?

I am still having 0 luck finding a WAHT-SA10?? Any ideas??
post #12 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM

The rocketfish works with speaker wire going to the transmitter that's hooked to the receiver which then communicates to the unit that is hooked via speaker wire to the rear speakers. You still run wires to the rears just not across the room from the receiver. It looks to me that the sony works the same way with the exception I think of how the front unit is connected to the receiver, you still run speaker wire from a rear unit to the rear speakers.

Seems like you should probably talk to Sony about what is or is not compatible in their line with their various air products. All I can tell you is I have the rocketfish, and for me works great.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the Rocketfish and it seems like the perfect solution.

Does anyone know if the HTS-S370 is compatible with the Rocketfish instead of bothering trying to find the necessary S-Air products???
post #14 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the Rocketfish and it seems like the perfect solution.

Does anyone know if the HTS-S370 is compatible with the Rocketfish instead of bothering trying to find the necessary S-Air products???

Call Sony about the AIR products.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked at the manuals for the HTS-S370 and Rocketfish kit. The proprietary speaker plugs on the HTS-S370 don't present a problem. The wires for the Surround speakers that are plugged into the HTS-S370 receiver unit just connect to the Rocketfish Transmitter unit instead of to the Surround speakers. For the Surround speakers themselves, regular speaker wire connects them to the Rocketfish Receiver unit that you'd place at the back of your room.

The only potential issue I see is that Rocketfish says that their rig is compatible with speakers with impedances from 4 to 16 ohms. My Rocketfish set-up works fine with some old 6 ohm surround speakers. According to the HTS-S370 manual, the HTS-S370 Surround speaker impedance is 3 ohms. Others more knowledgeable than I am can comment on whether or not that's a real issue or not.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone can tell me if there would be an issues with the rear speakers working with the Rocketfish because the rear speakers are 3ohms I would really appreciate it. It would save me from looking for the discontinued S-Air transmitter!
post #17 of 24 Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Your welcome.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone can tell me if there would be an issues with the rear speakers working with the Rocketfish because the rear speakers are 3ohms I would really appreciate it. It would save me from looking for the discontinued S-Air transmitter!

The transmitter is not discontinued it's the amp with the older receiver included that is discontinued

The biggest problem with the Rocketfish kit is that, from the specs, it is essentially equivalent to a car head unit amp, not a real amplifier. It will barely output 25W into 4 Ohms and at that with a [relative] lot of distortion. So with movies that take advantage of full-range surrounds, at moderate listening levels, you're probably going to notice the deficiency of the amp in that thing. For stuff like background chatter, birds singing, dogs barking, I'm sure it will be fine; but for stuff like explosions, car chases, etc., you may notice the shortcomings of the product.

That said I'm not really sure how much power the SS370 will do, all channels driven, either; but even if it's near the 25w mark as well, it will probably do so with significantly less THD.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

The transmitter is not discontinued it's the amp with the older receiver included that is discontinued

The biggest problem with the Rocketfish kit is that, from the specs, it is essentially equivalent to a car head unit amp, not a real amplifier. It will barely output 25W into 4 Ohms and at that with a [relative] lot of distortion. So with movies that take advantage of full-range surrounds, at moderate listening levels, you're probably going to notice the deficiency of the amp in that thing. For stuff like background chatter, birds singing, dogs barking, I'm sure it will be fine; but for stuff like explosions, car chases, etc., you may notice the shortcomings of the product.

That said I'm not really sure how much power the SS370 will do, all channels driven, either; but even if it's near the 25w mark as well, it will probably do so with significantly less THD.

Thanks for your post. I do understand I am going to loose quality going wireless, I get that but right now its my only option other then running a cord directly through the middle of my room and the wife won't have that!

With that being said do you think trying to hunt down the old Transmitter would be worthwhile or just go with the Rocketfish? Which will give me the better quality out of the two knowing full well wired would be the best alternative.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With that being said do you think trying to hunt down the old Transmitter would be worthwhile or just go with the Rocketfish? Which will give me the better quality out of the two knowing full well wired would be the best alternative.

Again just so there is no confusion (I've read reviews where people bought the wrong stuff)...

The transmitter you want is the new transmitter so you don't need to find the old transmitter (you can't use it anyway). However the discontinued WAHT-SA10 comes with both the old transmitter (that you can't use) and the rear speakers amp (i.e the "receiver").

What you are after specifically is the receiver/amp from the WAHT set and the new transmitter which is sold separately, the EZW-T100. But the thing is you can't buy a new/in-box WAHT-SA10 without the old transmitter, so it's just like a piece you will get that you won't use. However perhaps it would be possible to get the amp from the WAHT set, used somewhere, without the transmitter...

Anyway someone is selling a used set (with the old transmitter you can't use) for $150 on eBay right now BIN. The transmitter you need seems to be on Amazon for $40, which is not a bad deal. In total it would be around $200 for you to add the Sony S-AIR stuff. How much does the Rocketfish kit cost?

There is another set on eBay where the guy is actually selling exactly what you would buy (the WAHT-SA10 kit + the new T100 transmitter) but that one is up at around $200 as it is, and it's a bidding auction with time left (will probably go up).

As for quality, while I can't comment on the wireless quality of either, the amp in the WAHT kit is definitely better than what is in the Rocketfish kit.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I ended up making the purchase. My HTS-S370 comes in tomorrow. So I am going to have to wait a few days to set up the rear speakers Wirelessly.

So just to make sure I got the right stuff:

- WAHT-SA10 (Wireless Rear Amp)
- EZW-T100 S-Air Transmitter

With those two items I should be able to get my HTS-S370 to transmit to my rear speakers? Sorry I know this is rather basic questions but Sony's website is lacking in information in a big way!
post #22 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Hi. I posted the review below on the Sony STR-DN1010 AV Receiver thread, but I though it would be relevant here as well:

I needed a 7.1 channel AV receiver. I wanted to go wireless with my rear surround speakers. I wanted to add a low-cost (even if low quality) wireless speaker system in two other rooms. And I wanted the receiver to work with the HDMI-CED system in my Panasonic Plasma (its Viera Link). Because I watch broadcast TV and Panasonic's Viera-Cast for Netflix, I wanted an HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver so I could use the Audio Return Channel to pump the TV sound through the receiver.

Although not as highly rated as AV receivers in the same class, I went with the Sony STR-DN1010. First, I knew (from various postings on the web) that Sony's HDMI-CEC system Bravia Sync would work with my Panasonic Plasma and its Viera-Link system. While my Panasonic Plasma might work with any HDMI-CEC system, I could not confirm this through web postings, and I did not want to take the chance. Second, the Sony STR-DN1010 offered their S-Air technology. I was dubious of buying into a proprietary system. However, I liked the fact that this system did not require plugging a transmitter box with cables into the back of my receiver, and it was cost effective to wirelessly connect my rear speakers and to wirelessly connect two rooms ($34 for EZWT100 transmitter cartridge, $100 for S-Air WAHT-SA20 wireless rear amplifier , 2 x $60 for AIR-SA10 wireless speaker system = $254). Third, it was HDMI 1.4 compliant, so it offered Audio Return Channel capabilities. Finally, I was able to buy it at a decent discount ($370).

I am pleased with the sound the STR-DN1010 puts through my Energy Micro 5.1 Speakers. The Bravia Sync integrates flawlessly with my Panasonic Plasma's Viera Link. (It also integrates flawlessly with my new Sony BDP-S1000ES Blu Ray Player). It has enough power to drive my speakers. It has sufficient HDMI inputs to connect all my equipment. It has an easy-to-operate GIU and an easy-to-operate remote. I have not had any trouble with the STR-DN1010 losing its hand-shake with other equipment.

My experiences with the S-Air components are mixed. On the pro side: All S-Air components set up easily. The wireless rear amplifier (which is in the same room as the 1010 receiver) never loses its connection. On the con side: First, the wireless rear amplifier does not power my surround-sound speakers sufficiently; I have to use the manual speaker settings on the STR-DN1010 to crank up their volume. Second, the remote wireless speaker systems (AIR-SA10) in the other two rooms often drop their connections. I live in an 800 sqf apartment with woodframe plaster walls. You would think the system would be strong enough to deal with that. To make matters worse, for some reason the wireless rear amplifier required that I pair it with the STR-DN1010. Evidently, once you pair one wireless S-Air component, you have pair all of them. And this increased the regularity with which the two wireless speaker systems drop the signal. I would say: don't expect your S-Air to pass its signal through any walls.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Nice post but it makes me glad I went with the Rocketfish gear.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 PM

Hi guys,

Can someone help out a half competent girl?

I have the Sony DAV-HDX576WF surround sound system with the clock radio and the rear speakers with S-Air.

my transceiver is the EZW-RT10. its in the main unit, and the two remote units. i also have some kind of "extension cord" type thing for the main units transceiver, so it sits on top of the TV table, pointing up.

the rear speakers aren't even 10 feet away, in plain line of sight of the main unit, and yet they drop out all the time. my router is above it, but i can't do anything about that really.

this is a joke though, really poor design. what freq does s-air work at? 900mhz? 2.4ghz? 5ghz? i think my router (dlink dir 655) is 2.4 only, but i'm not sure.

the clock radio is around the corner, open air, but not direct line of sight. it barely ever works, and is useless imo.

can i buy new transcievers or something? what do i want, and where can i get them?

thanks!!!! Trish
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page