Spherex XBOX speakers/sub on standard AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title states:

I'm going to jump to a full 5.1/7.1 HD AVR soon, and I'm wondering if I can save some money in the meantime by reusing my speakers (with RCA -> banana adapters) and my sub (AVR sub out mono RCA -> dual mono RCA stereo in on Spherex)?

Anyone done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

300 views and no input
Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure. The speakers were popular a few years ago and they were designed by API Canda, which also branded Mirage...and was similar to the original Omnisat speakers. Mirage does small speakers well and the xbox system got good reviews because of that. You can cut and strip the RCA and secure them right into the receiver...or use bananas. Read how other people handled them -> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...&vReviewShow=1

I'm not sure about the sub because it was an all-in-one system that you plug all your components into. It has analog inputs so maybe you can plug a RCA cable from the receiver to the sub.....not sure if the way it was intended to be used would cause some problem with that though.

I only know about the sub because I remember that Parts Express was blowing them out without an amp for 20 bucks a while ago (100 for the whole system) -> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=309-402
People were attaching inexpensive amps for a bargain system.

I say go for it!...you have nothing to lose. Worst case the sub would be too troublesome and you have to replace it at the same time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Get a good receiver and replace the speakers/sub over time. ...but don't replace the speakers with other satellites.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Main thing I'm worried about is blowing the new receiver hooking the old sub up... but I believe most sub-outs are just LFE mono out... so if I hook that up to the RCA inputs on the Spherex sub... it should just filter the low-frequency to the sub...

Well we'll see what happens anyway...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you have to worry about blowing the receiver. It has line-level inputs just like any sub. There's no volume or crossover knob on the sub but you'd take care of that inside any decent modern receiver.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Hi guys.
Anybody here wants to sell their Spherex 5.1 System?
Thanx in advance,
Spiktsu
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM

I hate to bump an oldie, but I'm curious as to how this worked out for you OP. Did you go through with it and were you able to hook up the sub in any way. I'm about to purchase a modern Onkyo receiver and I wanted to continue using these wonderful Omnisat speakers. I was considering just hooking up the 5 surround speakers without a sub, but I'm interested in how that turned out for you.

If anyone else has had the same experience with this, please let us know how it went.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Just like to follow this up by saying that I got this to work great with a new Onkyo receiver. I used a splitter at the sub-in and just connected a standard gold lead stereo rca cable to the split and the aux in on the Spherex sub. It sound fine and saved a few dollars in the process.

As for the speakers, I just cut the tips off one end of the rca cables and ran the pos/neg directly in. Worked great.. except for the fact I struggled with the length of one of my surround cables and getting it in the receiver.