post #31 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoelster View Post

Thanks for your thoughts on the HTS-S370 I get my unit tomorrow so I am excited to get them set up. How do you like the look of the speakers? Are they bulky? Does the sub sound pretty good? Your using a wired setup for your rear speakers?

The speakers are nice actually, the satellites are about 6 or 7" tall, and the face is about 2.5" wide or so, and about 2.5" deep. The center is wide, but small and light..it can fit anywhere. The speakers have the fiber or cloth on the face, not the cheaper painted metal mesh, so they are pretty nice looking. They are not bulky at all.

The sub is a good size for this setup, multi directional design as well, the sub fires from the bottom. I think it sounds great, Its sounds clean and tight , even with higher volume.

My rear speakers are wired. I am not sure how long the rear wires are however. I had to extend my right surround speaker wire, about 5 feet, but it had a rather long run.

After everything was in place I did the auto-calibration with the supplied mic. I set up a stool where I sit in the middle of the couch, and placed the mic there. I did the auto-calibration, checked the results, and then listened carefully with a few audio sounds on a calibration disc. Everything sounds even, I think it worked well. It was also pretty accurate auto-detecting the distances of the speakers from the calibration position.

It sounds great, you won't be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Perfect. Thanks for the link. From the link:

"- Even if [Audio Multi-Output] is set to [On] on a CECH-2000 series system, bitstream audio recorded in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD format cannot be output on the system."

Does this apply to me? I have a Ps3 Slim.

Yessir. You can't output bitstream audio [of the HD formats] over HDMI if you want the analog stereo outs to work. You have to set it to decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and output as multi-LPCM. That's what that wording means to me anyway.

Quote:

Also, before I make this swtich, I want to make sure that under HDMI audio settings, that I turn on:

Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and all the LPCM 5.1?

You can't set it to bitstream the first three formats, but I think it should still be able to decode them to LPCM going by my interpretation of the above warning about the Slim.
post #33 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok great. Thanks.
post #34 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Yessir. You can't output bitstream audio [of the HD formats] over HDMI if you want the analog stereo outs to work. You have to set it to decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and output as multi-LPCM. That's what that wording means to me anyway.

You can't set it to bitstream the first three formats, but I think it should still be able to decode them to LPCM going by my interpretation of the above warning about the Slim.

So does that mean I don't need to check DTS-MA and Dobly TrueHD in the audio settings under HDMI? Do I just need to turn on LPCM 5.1?

When I have it do it automatically, it only selects lossy DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, and then all the LPCMs. It does not enable dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD.

But that is for Bitstream I am guessing? As long as I have LPCM 5.1 enabled, and I output LPCM from the ps3....it should be correct? Or do I have to turn the rest on too?

Thanks.
post #35 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So does that mean I don't need to check DTS-MA and Dobly TrueHD in the audio settings under HDMI? Do I just need to turn on LPCM 5.1?

When I have it do it automatically, it only selects lossy DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, and then all the LPCMs. It does not enable dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD.

But that is for Bitstream I am guessing? As long as I have LPCM 5.1 enabled, and I output LPCM from the ps3....it should be correct? Or do I have to turn the rest on too?

Thanks.

That stuff only applies to Bitstream streaming. You should not select Bitstream anyway because the SS370 does not decode DTS-MA and TrueHD anyway. It does not apply to LPCM, so let the PS3 do the decoding.
post #36 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh... and yeah, the question is:

"Who would want to use the TV speakers anyway?"

My system is also in a living room and use the SS370 all the time. System sounds than TV speakers at all volume levels so why even use the TV speakers?
post #37 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

[quote=redwolf4k;18647010]So does that mean I don't need to check DTS-MA and Dobly TrueHD in the audio settings under HDMI? Do I just need to turn on LPCM 5.1?

You do need to select the formats even with LPCM 5.1.
post #38 of 207 Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

had this unit for a few months now. It's connected to the HD projector, and does provide the sound to match the 120" screen. Mind you, the woofer/bass if far too over powering (especially living in a condo), so had to take it down to -2.5 i think, otherwise no complaints.

Am here with a question: Any ideas on how i can connect my headphones to this?

Again, this is in a condo, so there are times when the wife goes to bed early, so wanted to watch a movie using headphones...

is there any type of converter to output to headphones, based on the outputs this unit provides (optical, hdmi, analog)?

Thanx in advance.
post #39 of 207 Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

had this unit for a few months now. It's connected to the HD projector, and does provide the sound to match the 120" screen. Mind you, the woofer/bass if far too over powering (especially living in a condo), so had to take it down to -2.5 i think, otherwise no complaints.

Am here with a question: Any ideas on how i can connect my headphones to this?

Again, this is in a condo, so there are times when the wife goes to bed early, so wanted to watch a movie using headphones...

is there any type of converter to output to headphones, based on the outputs this unit provides (optical, hdmi, analog)?

Thanx in advance.

Not really, since the receiver only has output through HDMI. You are more likely to be able to plug your headphones to your TV. Does the TV have an headphone jack? If not, you can get one of these and plug it to the audio output of your TV:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3909621

And one of these:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...-to-1-8-Female

and plug the headphones that way.
post #40 of 207 Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

Not really, since the receiver only has output through HDMI. You are more likely to be able to plug your headphones to your TV. Does the TV have an headphone jack? If not, you can get one of these and plug it to the audio output of your TV:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3909621

And one of these:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...-to-1-8-Female

and plug the headphones that way.

thanx.

problem is, i don't use a tv. my video output is an HD projector (video only). I use this HTIB for the audio output. Can i use the analog (red/white) jack and convert it with one of the things you pointed out to connect my headphones?
post #41 of 207 Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

thanx.

problem is, i don't use a tv. my video output is an HD projector (video only). I use this HTIB for the audio output. Can i use the analog (red/white) jack and convert it with one of the things you pointed out to connect my headphones?

Unfortunately, there is no RCA (red/white) output from the SS370 receiver. What were you thinking of using as your audio output? The BD/PS3?
post #42 of 207 Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM

So I just bought the HTS-S370 and am coming across the issue of how I should be putting the settings both on the receiver and on the devices.

So here is my setup:

I have my HD-DVR, Xbox 360 Elite, and PS3 hooked up straight to the HTS-S370 via HDMI. I then have the HDMI out from the HTS-S370 going straight into the TV.

I notice when the HD-DVR is going I get sound only out of the front speakers nothing at all comes out of the two rears.

When I use the PS3 I get pretty good sound all the way around.

When I use the Xbox 360 I get some very soft ambient noises out of the front and very little in the rear.

Any ideas on setup so I can get the full surround sound experience? Thanks
post #43 of 207 Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Is the HD-DVR your cable TV source? Does it happen when you are watching recorded material only?

Anyway, to get surround sound through the HD-DVR I would select the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie sound field. Getting 5.1 or 2.1 Dolby Digital for the different networks depends on your cable provider and local network affiliates. For example, NBC on my area is DD2.1 even though I know most of their shows are 5.1 in other areas. This sucks, but the affiliate here does not have the capacity to send the 5.1 signal. However, Fox and CBS broadcasts shows like 24, CSI, etc.... in great 5.1. When you are getting only the front speaker, it is because they are sending 2.0/2.1 in your area. Of course, this also depends on the show. Some shows are not recorded on 5.1 and some are.

I leave the receiver on PLII Movie for cable and the receiver knows when the source is DD5.1 or DD2.1 on a per show basis and adjusts accordingly. When it is DD 5.1 the Pro Logic II switches off, when not, it kicks in. For the PS3 I select AFD-STD. I don't have an Xbox so I don't know what is going on there.
post #44 of 207 Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Is the HD-DVR your cable TV source? Does it happen when you are watching recorded material only?

Anyway, to get surround sound through the HD-DVR I would select the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie sound field. Getting 5.1 or 2.1 Dolby Digital for the different networks depends on your cable provider and local network affiliates. For example, NBC on my area is DD2.1 even though I know most of their shows are 5.1 in other areas. This sucks, but the affiliate here does not have the capacity to send the 5.1 signal. However, Fox and CBS broadcasts shows like 24, CSI, etc.... in great 5.1. When you are getting only the front speaker, it is because they are sending 2.0/2.1 in your area. Of course, this also depends on the show. Some shows are not recorded on 5.1 and some are.

I leave the receiver on PLII Movie for cable and the receiver knows when the source is DD5.1 or DD2.1 on a per show basis and adjusts accordingly. When it is DD 5.1 the Pro Logic II switches off, when not, it kicks in. For the PS3 I select AFD-STD. I don't have an Xbox so I don't know what is going on there.

The HD-DVR is the cable source yes. I know for sure recorded shows are not coming out of the back speakers at all. I haven't really seen any live broadcasts take advantage of 5.1 hwoever I will try your suggestion on the Dolby Pro Logic II.

Any idea what I should do to get my 360 Elite in full 5.1 goodness? Ideas on what setting it should be at? Thanks
post #45 of 207 Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM

You can also try Movie-DCS for some recorded shows, but I find that PLII works well for me.

I use my PS3 at AFD-STD for games and movies in order to get the sound as it was recorded. Have you tried this for the X360. I am not very familiar with it. Are there any Audio settings in the X360 that need to be changed? DD5.1 games in the X360 should work fine with the SS370 on AFD-STD. I will look at an X360 manual and see what I can find.
post #46 of 207 Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM

From what I have looked at there is pretty limited audio setup on the Xbox 360 settings. I will have to keep messing with the settings as a lot of 360 games I get ambient noise but not a real "surround sound" feel.
post #47 of 207 Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoelster View Post

The HD-DVR is the cable source yes. I know for sure recorded shows are not coming out of the back speakers at all. I haven't really seen any live broadcasts take advantage of 5.1 hwoever I will try your suggestion on the Dolby Pro Logic II.

Any idea what I should do to get my 360 Elite in full 5.1 goodness? Ideas on what setting it should be at? Thanks

Is your DVR a Scientific Atlanta XXXX HD/HDC box? I was unable to get true 5.1 surround via its HDMI output. However, you can leave your setup how it is (sending your hdmi feed from the box to the receiver) but, in addition, you can run an optical cable from the DVR's optical output, into the reciever, then, consult the receiver's instruction manual on how to give the optical cable sound priority, when using the receivers input that is associated with the tv. Then you go into the DVR's settings menu, and change "digital audio: HDMI" to "Digital Audio: Dolby 5.1". This will send DD 5.1 (when available in the tv show/movie) to the receiver, and you can leave the receiver in AFD Standard.

That should solve the DVR problem, if you really must have 5.1 when the DVR is playing it, and 2.1 when its not.

Otherwise using PLII as suggested is fine as well.
post #48 of 207 Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Is your DVR a Scientific Atlanta XXXX HD/HDC box? I was unable to get true 5.1 surround via its HDMI output. However, you can leave your setup how it is (sending your hdmi feed from the box to the receiver) but, in addition, you can run an optical cable from the DVR's optical output, into the reciever, then, consult the receiver's instruction manual on how to give the optical cable sound priority, when using the receivers input that is associated with the tv. Then you go into the DVR's settings menu, and change "digital audio: HDMI" to "Digital Audio: Dolby 5.1". This will send DD 5.1 (when available in the tv show/movie) to the receiver, and you can leave the receiver in AFD Standard.

That should solve the DVR problem, if you really must have 5.1 when the DVR is playing it, and 2.1 when its not.

Otherwise using PLII as suggested is fine as well.

How about selecting "Digital Audio: Dolby 5.1" while still using the HDMI? Does that work? I don't know why it wouldn't.
post #49 of 207 Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about selecting "Digital Audio: Dolby 5.1" while still using the HDMI? Does that work? I don't know why it wouldn't.

It didn't for me, when you choose DD 5.1, it turns off the HDMI's outputs sound.
post #50 of 207 Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 PM

I thought that this system would be a great little update to my old
AV nakamachi receiver and speakers!

Anyway I'm running PS3, and DIY HTPC (i5 core 650) Asuteck P7H55-M pro
4 gig ram.which has dual tuner
digitial/analog receivers. using builtin intel HD graphics and Realtek latest drivers

It runs directly HDMI out to Sony XBR4 -46 LCD without problems

Hooked up PS3 to "BD" input, and that works. But when I connect HTPC hdmi to SACTV. passthru with the correct HDMI input on the TV it doesn't work.

Initially I got a synch of TV passthru to LCD, but I can't seem to get
it to see the HDMI output HTPC at all.

I have the Bravia Sync from TV on and working

?Any suggestions (The TV is on the other side of the room from HTPC)
but I have a well built HDMI cable

I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't use REaltek HDMI output
because its not supported on the board (*you have to get an ASROCK
mobo.

So now I got to move the HTPC and connect toslink .

Mahalo!
post #51 of 207 Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM

hi guys..so i just got this surround sound system today, we got it for $225 and we get a $125 mail in rebate, i was wondering what i need to do to get this to sound good..this is my first surround sound system and i am completely stupid with it..can someone explain, starting from scratch how to get it to sound good? i have all the speakers hooked up and all that, but i dont think im getting the sound from it that i could be getting? it seems pretty quiet and the woofer seems a little week and i am in a very small room..i havent done the calibration with the mic yet..the back speakers seem pretty quiet..ill try the calibration tomorrow and see if that helps..my setup is the htss370, xbox 360, samsung blu-ray player, 55" c650..any help with this system to get it to sound loud and give some rumbling bass would be nice..im scared of busting out the speakers by turning it up (i dont have it that loud but its just a fear of mine ill blow them out)
post #52 of 207 Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgee View Post

I thought that this system would be a great little update to my old
AV nakamachi receiver and speakers!

Anyway I'm running PS3, and DIY HTPC (i5 core 650) Asuteck P7H55-M pro
4 gig ram.which has dual tuner
digitial/analog receivers. using builtin intel HD graphics and Realtek latest drivers

It runs directly HDMI out to Sony XBR4 -46 LCD without problems

Hooked up PS3 to "BD" input, and that works. But when I connect HTPC hdmi to SACTV. passthru with the correct HDMI input on the TV it doesn't work.

Initially I got a synch of TV passthru to LCD, but I can't seem to get
it to see the HDMI output HTPC at all.

You may have an EDID issue with the PC when the receiver is switched to a different input. If you have the input selected on the receiver and the TV, and then boot the PC (from cold/off) do you get the PC image to come up? If so you will probably have to do some EDID tricks to get it to work consistently even when you change inputs on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgee View Post

II was a bit disappointed that I couldn't use REaltek HDMI output
because its not supported on the board (*you have to get an ASROCK
mobo.

Not sure what you mean there. If you're using an H55 motherboard with an i3/i5 CPU supporting Intel built-in graphics then you should definitely be able to get HDMI audio output. You probably haven't installed the right drivers or selected the right device in Windows, if you aren't.
post #53 of 207 Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM

So - what is the best way to get the audio and video from my Wii going?
I have the Wii currently hooked up with component cables directly to my TV, but my kids really want to hear the Wii through the better speakers. I have my Vizio TV running optical out to the HTIB, but it does not pass the Wii audio on through. Is my only solution to split up the audio/video output from the Wii; having the video run to the TV and the audio to the HTIB? Then we will only get sound if the HTIB is on and switched properly. My BD player runs great through the HTIB even when utilizing the TV speakers (simpler sometimes for my wife and kids) without the HTIB even turned on.

I love this system, but am looking for a better way to connect the Wii.

Thanks!
post #54 of 207 Old 07-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus7661 View Post

hi guys..so i just got this surround sound system today, we got it for $225 and we get a $125 mail in rebate, i was wondering what i need to do to get this to sound good..this is my first surround sound system and i am completely stupid with it..can someone explain, starting from scratch how to get it to sound good? i have all the speakers hooked up and all that, but i dont think im getting the sound from it that i could be getting? it seems pretty quiet and the woofer seems a little week and i am in a very small room..i havent done the calibration with the mic yet..the back speakers seem pretty quiet..ill try the calibration tomorrow and see if that helps..my setup is the htss370, xbox 360, samsung blu-ray player, 55" c650..any help with this system to get it to sound loud and give some rumbling bass would be nice..im scared of busting out the speakers by turning it up (i dont have it that loud but its just a fear of mine ill blow them out)

I was just reading your post (had not been around this thread for a while) and could not stop laughing when you specified that you had not calibrated the system... ehhhhhh.... what do you think you have to do to get the system to sound right?? I hope that by now you figured that out.
post #55 of 207 Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgreek View Post

So - what is the best way to get the audio and video from my Wii going?
I have the Wii currently hooked up with component cables directly to my TV, but my kids really want to hear the Wii through the better speakers. I have my Vizio TV running optical out to the HTIB, but it does not pass the Wii audio on through. Is my only solution to split up the audio/video output from the Wii; having the video run to the TV and the audio to the HTIB? Then we will only get sound if the HTIB is on and switched properly. My BD player runs great through the HTIB even when utilizing the TV speakers (simpler sometimes for my wife and kids) without the HTIB even turned on.

I love this system, but am looking for a better way to connect the Wii.

Thanks!

Hi mdgreek, what model Vizio Tv?

Most Tv models allows "Digital Audio Out" with HDMI and/or Component cable Input. But some doesn't allow it unless its using the Internal Tuner or Antenna Coaxial connection.

If your Tv is the latter then most also offers RCA analog (red and white) Output. Connect the red and white from Tv "Audo Out" to receiver "Audio In TV". Then go into your Tv audio menu and set the speaker to Off.
post #56 of 207 Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Most Tv models allows "Digital Audio Out" with HDMI and/or Component cable Input. But some doesn't allow it unless its using the Internal Tuner or Antenna Coaxial connection.

If your Tv is the latter then most also offers RCA analog (red and white) Output. Connect the red and white from Tv "Audo Out" to receiver "Audio In TV". Then go into your Tv audio menu and set the speaker to Off.

I'll give that a shot tonight - thanks. It is a Vizio 42UFHD (if I remember correctly - I'll have to check to make sure). It has optical out, but I think that only sends out the audio from the TV signal coming from my antenna (I ditched cable a year ago, my OTA is a better picture and most of what I want to watch anyways!)
post #57 of 207 Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

It is a VIZIO VU42L FHDTV10A - I was close
I looked at the manual on-line real quickly and what you said sounds right. It looks like I only get an output from the optical link when I have a digital signal; so that excludes the Wii. But it did say that the RCA outputs will pass through any audio coming through the TV as long as I switch OFF the internal speakers.

Thanks again for your insight!
post #58 of 207 Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgreek View Post

It is a VIZIO VU42L FHDTV10A - I was close
I looked at the manual on-line real quickly and what you said sounds right. It looks like I only get an output from the optical link when I have a digital signal; so that excludes the Wii. But it did say that the RCA outputs will pass through any audio coming through the TV as long as I switch OFF the internal speakers.

Thanks again for your insight!

I believe it should work as the Wii audio is only 2CH stereo. Report back with your result, good luck.
post #59 of 207 Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

I just bought the HT-SS370, great HT for the price. I also have a Wii connected by component cables. Unfortunately the A/V are too short to split them from my Samsung HDTV and the receiver, they're too far apart.

Two questions:
-If I'm using a component cable would that be considered a digital signal and therefore would an optical cable output the sound from the TV through the Sony reciever?
-I know you said RCA can be split, but can you split the component cables A/V to TV/reciever ?

I'm curious to know if he got his to work splitting the RCA.

thanks.
post #60 of 207 Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not sure how you have a Wii connected by "component cable" since the SS370 has no component video inputs unless you mean the Wii is connected to the TV by component cable. Anyway, component cables carry analog, not digital, signals. If you Search "component video splitter" you'll find such things do exist but what you're going to do with one isn't clear.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page