post #61 of 207 Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheHaggis View Post

I just bought the HT-SS370, great HT for the price. I also have a Wii connected by component cables. Unfortunately the A/V are too short to split them from my Samsung HDTV and the receiver, they're too far apart.

Two questions:
-If I'm using a component cable would that be considered a digital signal and therefore would an optical cable output the sound from the TV through the Sony reciever?
-I know you said RCA can be split, but can you split the component cables A/V to TV/reciever ?

I'm curious to know if he got his to work splitting the RCA.

thanks.

Hi EnterTheHaggis, first off just to make sure we're on the same page. Component A/V cables has green, blue, red for video and red & white for audio. Composite A/V cables has yellow for video and red & white for audio. And both of these are analog A/V cables and not digital.

Depending on your Tv you have a few options of connections. But as samsurd2 mention SS370 does not have video Input, only audio Input (which you may know this already)

Options depending on your Tv, so read the Tv manual:
1. connect Wii (video and audio) to Tv, then connect a optical cable from "Digital Audio Out" or RCA cables (red & white) to SS370. Go into Tv audio menu and set Tv speaker to OFF or audio out to Surround or Home Theater". If this option does not work then use option 3.

2. connect Wii video to Tv, audio (red & white) using 2 RCA Coupler (plus extra RCA audio cables) to SS370 "AUDIO IN - TV" or "AUDIO IN - SA-CD/CD. This would only allow Wii audio from SS370 speakers and no audio from Tv speaker.

3. connect Wii video to Tv, split the audio (red & white) using 2 RCA splitter adaptor (plus extra RCA audio cables) and run one set to Tv and the other to SS370. This way it can have audio from Tv speakers or from SS370 speakers when you wnat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 207 Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Not sure how you have a Wii connected by "component cable" since the SS370 has no component video inputs . . .

per my previous message:

"I have the Wii currently hooked up with component cables directly to my TV"
post #63 of 207 Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks guys, I'm an idiot. Your suggestions to just turn off internal speakers and run a separate RCA cable from the TV audio out to the Sony Receiver has worked like a charm.
I guess I just wasn't thinking.

It's great to hear the Wii sound coming from all directions

thanks again.
post #64 of 207 Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Hi all,
Brand noob here soaking it all in. Great site. Amazon has the combo in my title for $480 (with an HDMI cable thrown in). After reading this thread and another on the BDP-S370 I purchased a set for $370 from a brand new seller that listed on that site.
I think $480 is still a great price for an entry-level HTIB and BD player.
Actually, I'm a little nervous about my purchase since the price was so low. I hope it's not a tailgate special. Well, we'll see Monday.
post #65 of 207 Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM

I had this unit for a while and eventually decided to replace the center channel speaker (since it sucks). I picked one up from Amazon and hooked it up; everything sounded much better.

Then one day I noticed that the center channel was only spitting out hiss. So I hooked up the old center speaker and it worked (though still crappy quality). Then I went ahead and re-connected the new one, and it was working again!

But the problem persists. So I do my usual procedure of swapping and it works again...but only for a while apparently.

What's going on here?

EDIT: I should have checked this out a little more thoroughly. I had some weird settings going on with the sound field. Tested and works now. The fact remains that the center channel speaker that comes with this unit is a pathetic excuse for a speaker.
post #66 of 207 Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM

How would you compare this system to the Onkyo 5300?
post #67 of 207 Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

The HDMI pass through setup IS nice, but I cannot use it, because when sending the HDMI output from the receiver to the Tv, the TV only utilizes one of its inputs, which means I can only use one set of picture settings. This got annoying fast because I need zero over scan with my PS3, but I need 2.5% over scan with my digital cable box, due to varying content and channels. This is why I am using optical cables for the cable box, and the ps3.

On top of that, it was bugging out my cable box when it switched from PS3 to the box, or vice versa. The cable box would get caught in the wrong resolution, like 480p when it should be on 1080i. Its a SA8300 HDC running Mystro from TWC. I found the only way to keep my independent input settings and for the cable box to not be so buggy, was to use the surround system as audio only.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the surround system though, its really my preference.

I suppose I COULD wire JUST the ps3 with HDMI, and output HDMI to the tv to another input, then all my other devices would run directly to the tv, and optical/coax to the receiver. This would allow me to use HDMI audio with the Ps3, and keep my independent inputs on the tv, but then I would be juggling changing the input on both the TV, and the RECEIVER, would would be annoying to me as well.

It seems the only way I could have my cake and eat it too, is if the receiver had 3 independent HDMI outputs....but lets be serious, lol.

Am I really missing that much on the PS3 sound by not going HDMI? It sound amazing to me now.

Despite all of that, it sounds great, even when utilizing 5.1 via optical and coax.

If you get movies through PSN on your PS3 then using HDMI instead of Fiber Optics is ESSENTIAL.

Optical audio cannot carry lossless/uncompressed 5.1 audio, only HDMI can do that. Optical can only carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio.
HDMI = yes AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 5.1
Optical = No to AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 2.0.

The limitation is the optical connection and has been this way since the PSN 5.1 audio tracks started.
post #68 of 207 Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 PM

The only way to connect my 42PJ350 to my SS370 is with a an optical cable. So over the air broadcasts that are presented in 5.1 (such as NFL games) wont be presented in true 5.1? ...or would I have to use the PROLOGIC 2 mode?

I dont have DIRECTV yet... when I do get it... (btw... I am going to be using an HDMI with this one) are those going to be presented in true 5.1? ...or would I have to use the PROLOGIC 2 mode?
post #69 of 207 Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Has anyone noticed an loudl buzzing sound coming from the back of the receiver, its a sharp loud buzzing like that of a plasma buzz. Doesn't happen all the time, and seems to reset after powering the system off.. It doesn't happen right away but within 5-10 mins of use. Listening at lower volumes its very noticible. I'm wondering if my unit is defective or if it's just part of the design.. I noticed the previous model seems to have the sam problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19155930

I'm trying to decide if I should exchange it for another one? within the 30 days.
post #70 of 207 Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceSpeeder View Post

The only way to connect my 42PJ350 to my SS370 is with a an optical cable. So over the air broadcasts that are presented in 5.1 (such as NFL games) wont be presented in true 5.1? ...or would I have to use the PROLOGIC 2 mode?

If you're receiving an ATSC broadcast with DD/AC-3 audio then yeah it should pass it through the optical out to the receiver. However the TV may have a setting for PCM or DD, so make sure it is set to DD output.

Quote:

I dont have DIRECTV yet... when I do get it... (btw... I am going to be using an HDMI with this one) are those going to be presented in true 5.1? ...or would I have to use the PROLOGIC 2 mode?

Nope if you are using HDMI you can get bitstreamed DD straight from there as well. Sounds like you're all set

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post

Has anyone noticed an loudl buzzing sound coming from the back of the receiver, its a sharp loud buzzing like that of a plasma buzz. Doesn't happen all the time, and seems to reset after powering the system off.. It doesn't happen right away but within 5-10 mins of use. Listening at lower volumes its very noticible. I'm wondering if my unit is defective or if it's just part of the design.. I noticed the previous model seems to have the sam problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19155930

I'm trying to decide if I should exchange it for another one? within the 30 days.

Probably defective power supply or something (switching noise maybe?). I would exchange it for another one, you're in the return period so why not?
post #71 of 207 Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM

HT-SS370 vs. Onkyo 605 & Polk RM101 sats, center and sub.

I currently have the Onkyo/Polk set up and it's nice and all, but I have a Sony TV and I would like a matching audio set up. Plus the Onkyo produces too much heat and I would like a slimmer receiver and a more compact speaker set up.

Set up:
PS3
Wii
Cablevision HD box
Sony 46VE5
Above mentioned Onkyo/Polk audio setup

What do you guys/ladies think?

Thanks
post #72 of 207 Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

If you're receiving an ATSC broadcast with DD/AC-3 audio then yeah it should pass it through the optical out to the receiver. However the TV may have a setting for PCM or DD, so make sure it is set to DD output.

Nope if you are using HDMI you can get bitstreamed DD straight from there as well. Sounds like you're all set

In what mode should I set my SS370? I have it on PROLOGIC2MOVIE mode but how do I get the original mode it should be broadcasted in. I just set my TV speakers in off & it has no options but I think the SS370 detects this. because when I shut the TV off... it shows the PROLOGIC2MOVIE logo... but when I turn on the TV it shows the DD logo... So... does that mean it is the true format the SS370 should be in?
post #73 of 207 Old 09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

In what mode should I set my SS370? I have it on PROLOGIC2MOVIE mode but how do I get the original mode it should be broadcasted in. I just set my TV speakers in off & it has no options but I think the SS370 detects this. because when I shut the TV off... it shows the PROLOGIC2MOVIE logo... but when I turn on the TV it shows the DD logo... So... does that mean it is the true format the SS370 should be in?

"A.F.D. AUTO" should do the trick, if it has that. You may have to keep hitting the AFD button on the remote or receiver until it says "AUTO" instead of one of the other modes. I'm not sure the exact operation of the S370 but it's similar for other Sony receivers, so that should work.
post #74 of 207 Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

"A.F.D. AUTO" should do the trick, if it has that. You may have to keep hitting the AFD button on the remote or receiver until it says "AUTO" instead of one of the other modes. I'm not sure the exact operation of the S370 but it's similar for other Sony receivers, so that should work.

I dont see anything on the remote that says AFD.

Yea... there seems to be no AUTO mode on the SS370.
post #75 of 207 Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont see anything on the remote that says AFD.

Yea... there seems to be no AUTO mode on the SS370.

Hi Trance, on the remote press the "Sound Field" button (its next to the "Master Vol" button) repeatedly to cycle to A.F.D. There is also a Sound Field button on the receiver locate at lower middle area.
post #76 of 207 Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 AM

hi i bought this unit the other day and was wondering if i leave it in A.F.D STD is it right it will play the blu-ray films in there full hd sounds,thanks for any advice
post #77 of 207 Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesy68 View Post

hi i bought this unit the other day and was wondering if i leave it in A.F.D STD is it right it will play the blu-ray films in there full hd sounds,thanks for any advice

Hi homesy68, yes it will with via HDMI Cable connection and with the BD player (as long as the BD player can decode HD audio) set to output LPCM.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
post #78 of 207 Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi homesy68, yes it will with via HDMI Cable connection and with the BD player (as long as the BD player can decode HD audio) set to output LPCM.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.

thankyou for your help i was using the afd multi which when reading it looks like it turns 2 channel into 5.1,will givce it a try later and see how it goes thanks again JChin
post #79 of 207 Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Trance, on the remote press the "Sound Field" button (its next to the "Master Vol" button) repeatedly to cycle to A.F.D. There is also a Sound Field button on the receiver locate at lower middle area.

A.F.D. S.T.D or A.F.D. M.U.L.T.I. - which one would be the true format?

What do you guys have your setting set as? I never really changed anything but for setting my BASS & TREBLE +6 higher then default... would you guys recommend this?
post #80 of 207 Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A.F.D. S.T.D or A.F.D. M.U.L.T.I. - which one would be the true format?

What do you guys have your setting set as? I never really changed anything but for setting my BASS & TREBLE +6 higher then default... would you guys recommend this?

A.F.D. S.T.D will automatically detect the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2 channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding.
post #81 of 207 Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM

I set my BASS & TREBLE +6 higher then default... would you guys recommend this?
post #82 of 207 Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^If it sounds good to you, why do care what anybody else thinks?
post #83 of 207 Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

^If it sounds good to you, why do care what anybody else thinks?

Im new to this product & im just getting some opinions...
post #84 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 AM

Hi
First off, new to the forum and found this thread very helpful, so thanks to all the posters. Helped with some good ideas of how to setup my system (46" bravia tv, PS3, wii, HD box, HT ss370 receiver).

So setup everything tonight, and sound works, tv works, sync works, Ps3 works (no wii test yet - need to extend component video cables) but yeah heres the problem. My auto calibration repeatedly fails. I'm getting error 32 and error F33. Anyways, checked the manual, and the remedies don't work. I've experimented with the mike distance, and reconnected and checked both front speakers... no luck. I've even done the tone test and confirmed sound coming from all 6 speakers.

Anyways, so my questions are as follows:

1) Anyone had these same errors and fixed them?? Right now I think my auto calib. mike is broken, but don't really want to return the system just for a new calibration mike.

2) How much of a difference did the auto-calib make??

3) Anyone do a manual calibration with good results? It seems to me that my surround needs to be louder, and a bit more bass. setup is similar to the manual, C/L/R are surrounding tv. Rear speakers are roughly 9-10 feet from the tv, and directly behind couch.

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers
post #85 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM

hi, does the s370 have ACR
post #86 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuevad View Post

hi, does the s370 have ACR

Hi cuevad, yes this unit has ARC feature.
post #87 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 01:33 AM

thanks JChin, have you had any experience with the onkyo s3300 it seems like a toss up which one to buy i have a small rm ,a bestbuy blu ray that decodes dt-hd and dts-hd master,and a sam pn50c430
post #88 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuevad View Post

thanks JChin, have you had any experience with the onkyo s3300 it seems like a toss up which one to buy i have a small rm ,a bestbuy blu ray that decodes dt-hd and dts-hd master,and a sam pn50c430

Don't have either one but by the specs there both appears to be identical.
post #89 of 207 Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM

guess i will go by price the s3300 is on amazon for 270 but will take 2 -5 months to ship ,Thanks for your help
post #90 of 207 Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 AM

Greetings -

I have recently purchased the Sony HTSS370 and so far love it. My first question is, in a show of 'hands', where do you all prefer your sub-woofer's placement to be? Up front or in back near the rear speakers?

I ask as this system's sub-woofer speaker wire is not that long, I cannot stretch it out to the rear of the room without cutting the existing wire. I am not thrilled with the idea of cutting the existing wire and splicing in speaker wire...any other option to extend that wire or just deal with it up front....?

thanks,
Nataswon
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page