Just bought a SONY HTSS370 HT system in a box.. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Home Theater In A Box > Just bought a SONY HTSS370 HT system in a box..
ES_Revenge's Avatar ES_Revenge 07:13 AM 10-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataswon View Post

Greetings -

I have recently purchased the Sony HTSS370 and so far love it. My first question is, in a show of 'hands', where do you all prefer your sub-woofer's placement to be? Up front or in back near the rear speakers?

It all depends on your room. What works in one person's room is not necessarily going to be good for you. You should experiment with placement yourself and see what sounds best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataswon View Post

I ask as this system's sub-woofer speaker wire is not that long, I cannot stretch it out to the rear of the room without cutting the existing wire. I am not thrilled with the idea of cutting the existing wire and splicing in speaker wire...any other option to extend that wire or just deal with it up front....?

It's just speaker wire, there's no harm in splicing in wire. It's not really a big deal. What you should actually do is just cut the factory wire off about 6" to 1' after the connector and splice larger wire in--14 or 12 gauge, preferrably. Then not only will you have better wire than the tiny stuff they provide you with, you'll also be able to make it as long as you want.

mango259's Avatar mango259 02:34 PM 10-11-2010
does anyone know how the sub in this unit compares to the sub in the ht ss360?

and the speakers... yea they look different, but why? are they better or worse?

Trying to decide between the htss360 and the htss370.
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 01:28 PM 10-12-2010
Other than the configuration of the enclosure, specs appear to be identical.
nataswon's Avatar nataswon 11:47 AM 10-24-2010
Thanks - yea, I know it's just splicing wire, i was having a senior moment there..
talon1's Avatar talon1 07:42 PM 11-12-2010
Hi i just recently got this system. I have everything setup but the auto calibration mic cant reach my seating position. What can I do. Do I just change the settings to where I think they sound best without the auto calibration? Any help would be appreciated!
JChin's Avatar JChin 08:50 PM 11-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon1 View Post

Hi i just recently got this system. I have everything setup but the auto calibration mic cant reach my seating position. What can I do. Do I just change the settings to where I think they sound best without the auto calibration? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi talon1, get a 3.5mm mono extension cable that has a male at one and female at the other end. May find this a "radio shack" or online at "cables to go".
talon1's Avatar talon1 11:38 PM 11-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi talon1, get a 3.5mm mono extension cable that has a male at one and female at the other end. May find this a "radio shack" or online at "cables to go".
Thanks so much for the reply, JChin, Ill do that!

p.s. This is a great sound system in case anyone was thinking about buying. The wires are a tad short, though, but nothing you cant fix yourself. Highly recommend it
JustinAiken's Avatar JustinAiken 04:08 PM 11-18-2010
Hey everyone,

I have this system coming in a few days...

I have a Sony Bravia TV, and a HTPC running XBMC on top of Linux.

I ordered a s/pdif output bracket for my motherboard; my video card only has DVI out, no HDMI.

Right now I have a DVI->HDMI cable from the HTPC to the TV for video, and crappy speakers plugged straight into the TV.

What will be the best way to hook up the HTSS370 to this? Is it true that if I use an optical cable (either coxial spdif or TOSlink) that I won't be able to get true-HD? Will I have to buy a video card with HDMI out?
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 11:50 AM 11-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken View Post

Hey everyone,

I have this system coming in a few days...

I have a Sony Bravia TV, and a HTPC running XBMC on top of Linux.

I ordered a s/pdif output bracket for my motherboard; my video card only has DVI out, no HDMI.

Right now I have a DVI->HDMI cable from the HTPC to the TV for video, and crappy speakers plugged straight into the TV.

What will be the best way to hook up the HTSS370 to this? Is it true that if I use an optical cable (either coxial spdif or TOSlink) that I won't be able to get true-HD? Will I have to buy a video card with HDMI out?

It's true that you won't get TrueHD/DTS-MA except via an HDMI connection. Whether one can actually hear the difference between HD audio and legacy audio has been discussed ad nauseum. OTOH, the quality of the non-HD audio that you'd get via a coax or optical cable is supposed to be somewhat better than pure legacy audio. Also be aware that Sony gear is likely to cough up a fur ball when it comes to DVI-to-HDMI cables. See "Notes on connecting cables" on page 21 of the user manual.
JustinAiken's Avatar JustinAiken 02:07 PM 11-19-2010
Okay, guess I'll just hook the HTPC straight to the TV for now, using the receiver only for audio - shouldn't be too big of deal, as I only have one source for video/audio.

And as soon as I see a good deal on a low profile video card with HDMI out that I could send the audio through, I'll jump...

I'm pretty sure I"ll be able to hear a difference between TrueHD/DTS-MA and the lesser
chopchop0's Avatar chopchop0 08:48 PM 11-19-2010
Quote:

Okay, guess I'll just hook the HTPC straight to the TV for now, using the receiver only for audio - shouldn't be too big of deal, as I only have one source for video/audio.

And as soon as I see a good deal on a low profile video card with HDMI out that I could send the audio through, I'll jump...

I'm pretty sure I"ll be able to hear a difference between TrueHD/DTS-MA and the lesser

What do you think of that system? I was originally looking at an onkyo HTIB, but I realize that the slimmer sony receiver will fit better with my media center.
JustinAiken's Avatar JustinAiken 12:52 PM 11-20-2010
Not sure yet, it won't be here until Tuesday.

I know I picked it over the Onkyo or others because I did a recent Sony credit card offer for $200 of Sony rewards, so the system only cost me $58.
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 11:15 AM 11-21-2010
Quote:

JMO but it'll probably be only 'cuz you want to.
LividUser's Avatar LividUser 10:54 PM 12-20-2010
I have in the other room one of these HT-SS370 system sitting was a christmas gift (yes I already know what it is it isn't wrapper and I answered the door when it came) I checked the specs for it and it says the maximum output is 1080p/24, to my (admittedly limited) understanding thats 1080p at 24FPS, the native resolution and speed for bluray movies.

I though don't watch bluray movies, but I do play games, my concern is that the specs say it's maximum output is 1080P/24 but games can output between 30 and 120 FPS (depending on the game/system/ect). I just talked to someone on the sony site and all they could do is say it's maximum was 1080P/24, and judging from the conversation I'm guessing they were just reading it off the specs page and didn't actually know anything about the item (pretty typical for support these days).

Can someone tell me what this thing can really output at? I'd love it if it could do 1080P at 120 (for the off game that can do it and because my TV supports that as it's maximum) but if it can only do it at 24 then I'll exchange it for something a little beefier. (I've already noted my concern and they have no problem exchanging it as it was purchased from costco and there just a few blocks away). Also, is there a way to check this for certain on the user end? (I tried to check on the tv but it only gives resolution, not refresh rate of the signal)
rubendariohh's Avatar rubendariohh 11:07 AM 01-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

I have the HT-SS370 and love it with my PS3 and Bravia TV.

I don't understand what you mean by the HDMI connections being intrusive. The receiver knows when you are using the "TV" or the PS3 and should switch automatically. You are definitely missing out by using optical for the PS3. The PS3 should not be connected to the receiver via optical. HDMI is the way to go. The PS3 is able to decode DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD and sent it LPCM to the receiver only via HDMI, not optical. You have to make sure that DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD are selected in the audio options on the PS3 and that you set up the PS3 to send the BD signal on Linear PCM. The Receiver unit will show LPCM in the display even though the PS3 is handling all the decoding. Optical can't handle the bandwidth. If you want to check what the PS3 is decoding and sending LPCM to the unit, you can check by pressing "triangle" on the PS3 controller and then "i" for info. The information is shown in the upper right corner. As I said, the receiver will only show that is receiving LPCM.

However, an optical cable is optimal from the TV to the receiver unit, since DD 5.1 and 2.1 can be sent through optical cable, and most stations broadcast in those formats. The best Sound Field setting for playing BD movies and games from the PS3 is AFD-STD since this reproduces sounds as they were meant to be reproduced. When playing broadcast TV, I select PL-II movies and the unit detects if a station is broadcasting DD 5.1 or 2.0. If it is 2.0 the PL-II kicks in to give surround, if it is 5.1 only DD 5.1 is reproduced. If you have a cable box with coax, then coax can be used from the box instead of the optical from the TV or cable box.

I don't like the Movie-DCS and, but this is a matter of taste. I like to hear the sounds as they were meant by the source material, as I mentioned above. Movie-DCS does work with 5.1 DD and 2.0 or ay signal, and it applies PL-I if needed. Like I said, I mostly don't use for BD/DVD playing and select AFD-STD. However, I do use Movie-DCS for Netflix streaming since Netflix is not streaming DD 5.1 still and I find that it works well for these movies.

Also, the unit detects signal automatically, you can't select if you want DD, or DTS, the unit does from the signal and PL-I or PL-II are applied automatically, if needed and you have it selected as a sound field. Also, when you are using your external speaker or 5.1 you should not have the TV speakers working... I am probably misunderstanding something from your comment, but it seems like you are trying to run the TV speakers while the 5.1 system is on. The TV speakers should be OFF while the 5.1 is on.

I have this system and, like I said before, I am loving it. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have a Panasonic TC-P54Z1 TV, a PS3 and I just bought the HT-SS370 home theater. I'm trying to hook everything by HDMI in order to get advantage of the DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD, but is not working!
I connect the PS3 to the receiver through HDMI (into the HDMI 2 slot of the receiver for BD players), and then the Home theater to my TV through HDMI (from the TV Out slot of the receiver to one of the HDMI input slots of my TV). Then I turned on the PS3, I selected the BD input in the receiver and the HDMI 1 input in my TV and I get nothing! no Audio, no Video, nothing....did you have any advice?? thanks in advance for your support!
JChin's Avatar JChin 12:41 PM 01-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubendariohh View Post

I have a Panasonic TC-P54Z1 TV, a PS3 and I just bought the HT-SS370 home theater. I'm trying to hook everything by HDMI in order to get advantage of the DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD, but is not working!
I connect the PS3 to the receiver through HDMI (into the HDMI 2 slot of the receiver for BD players), and then the Home theater to my TV through HDMI (from the TV Out slot of the receiver to one of the HDMI input slots of my TV). Then I turned on the PS3, I selected the BD input in the receiver and the HDMI 1 input in my TV and I get nothing! no Audio, no Video, nothing....did you have any advice?? thanks in advance for your support!

Hi rubendariohh, its possible you're getting handshake issue.

Here are some suggestion to try:
- connect to the other two receiver HDMI ports
- connect to the other two tv HDMI ports from receiver (TV Out)
- test with a different HDMI cable (input and output)
- with tv and receiver on, reset PS3 by holding down power button for a few seconds until it beeps twice (not sure if this works with new slim model)
- turn equipment on in a certain order: tv first then receiver and last PS3 (give a few seconds in btw for each to power up fully)
- set PS3 resolution to a lower resolution like 1080i (reconnect back to tv to perform this setting)
rubendariohh's Avatar rubendariohh 11:37 AM 01-05-2011
Thanks for your suggestions Chin.
The issue was fixed after I reset my TV to its default settings.
Now all is working flawlessly. My PS3 is running at 1080p with True HD Audio.
Just a little advice: The speakers volume were to low after I calibrate the system with the mic, so I calibrated the system manually (in fact I use the MAX vol for all the speakers and the Sub, 6.0db)
dmk1974's Avatar dmk1974 01:34 PM 01-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubendariohh View Post
Thanks for your suggestions Chin.
The issue was fixed after I reset my TV to its default settings.
Now all is working flawlessly. My PS3 is running at 1080p with True HD Audio.
Just a little advice: The speakers volume were to low after I calibrate the system with the mic, so I calibrated the system manually (in fact I use the MAX vol for all the speakers and the Sub, 6.0db)
Did you by chance also adjust the treble and bass? I haven't yet found a sweet spot yet on my HT-SS370. I think I had them both at +20 maybe last I tried?
Montsegur97's Avatar Montsegur97 06:28 PM 01-05-2011
Just got one of these yesterday. No issues setting it up, have my Cable box and PS3 connected to it via HDMI, and then the receiver to the TV. My ps3 is one of the older fat ones (40gb), anyhow, through the cable box, no issues, the DTS sign shows up on the receiver and all the sound comes through. The ps3 though, I set the sound option to HDMI, then automatic, it initially showed LPCM 2 channel 44.1 and 48khz. So I checked out the manual settings and added the DTS, 5.1 and other Linear PCM options from 44, 48 and 96khz.

Tried playing a game, no surround sound, no DTS sign anywhere on the receiver, so I went back, manually set them to LPCM 2.0 channel 44.1, and 48khz. Go into the game, and the DTS only seems to appear under Pro Logic II movie.

Now, I went back to set it to automatic via HDMI, and now it's showing ALL sorts of options ticked off, from 5.1 to 7.1 LPCM 44.1, 48, 96khz, etc. and again, no DTS no nothing. So should I just leave it on Linear PCM 2.0 channel 44 and 48khz? Tried Transformers through those settings, sounds loud and clear, but I'm so new to these things not sure if I'm getting the full effect I'm supposed to be getting.

So what do you guys have checked off through HDMI on your ps3's? Just seeing a lot of people saying they leave it on AFD STD, but I never get sound from the rear speakers with that setting. As long as I leave it on Pro Logic II, and on manual LPCM 2.0 channel 44.1 and 48khz, it seems to be fine. Thanks in Advance.
dmk1974's Avatar dmk1974 08:58 PM 01-05-2011
Also, my subwoofer had an extra gasket laying on it when I opened the box. Is it something missing from the inside of the sub? Anyone know how to open up the sub?
LL
Blazing_angel_'s Avatar Blazing_angel_ 03:31 PM 01-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

Also, my subwoofer had an extra gasket laying on it when I opened the box. Is it something missing from the inside of the sub? Anyone know how to open up the sub?

You see that Litt hole right next to the speaker?
I believe that gasket thing just got loose from there
dmk1974's Avatar dmk1974 08:31 PM 01-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing_angel_ View Post

You see that Litt hole right next to the speaker?
I believe that gasket thing just got loose from there

That was my thought as well since the profile is about the same. I shined a light and looked down it and felt around with my hand and I didn't feel anything like it between the seams of joined plastic along the walls. The call to Sony tech support was useless (even after they looked at the photos I took of the part).

I took it back to Costco and exchanged it for another one. The new one didn't have any loose or missing parts and sounds great.
thomicimo's Avatar thomicimo 11:24 PM 01-07-2011
I am likely going to buy this to replace my JVC D4 DVD system because well I dont watch DVD's, I've just connected my HTPC.

I have my speakers mounted on the wall around my TV which is also on the wall, is this a bad idea with this sony system? (it has both the same amount and type of speakers as this system)

I just like the look of having the speakers mounted around the TV on the wall, it looks very clean, because I can also manage the speaker wires/TV power cords through the room behind it.

Also is 300CAD after taxes on sale a good price for this system?
John.'s Avatar John. 01:56 PM 01-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomicimo View Post

I am likely going to buy this to replace my JVC D4 DVD system because well I dont watch DVD's, I've just connected my HTPC.

I have my speakers mounted on the wall around my TV which is also on the wall, is this a bad idea with this sony system? (it has both the same amount and type of speakers as this system)

I just like the look of having the speakers mounted around the TV on the wall, it looks very clean, because I can also manage the speaker wires/TV power cords through the room behind it.

Also is 300CAD after taxes on sale a good price for this system?

Hey ! I bought the same system yesterday in Canada . I researched a bit and in my opinion this system is the best system in this price range . I dont think you will regret it at all . It has all hdmi inputs you need and most other systems in this price range rarely has any hdmi inputs .

I have not hooked mine up yet , but sounded good in the store .

I guess you got it on sale ? Its regular 299 onsale for 249 .

Yes hanging on the wall would be perfect
pinzg35's Avatar pinzg35 06:11 PM 01-13-2011
Question...I have my Sony blu-ray player hooked up to the HT-SS370 and am playing a blu-ray movie. When I select DTS under audio options and start the movie the DTS logo does not come on but the DDII does. Any idea why?
JChin's Avatar JChin 09:07 PM 01-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzg35 View Post

Question...I have my Sony blu-ray player hooked up to the HT-SS370 and am playing a blu-ray movie. When I select DTS under audio options and start the movie the DTS logo does not come on but the DDII does. Any idea why?

Hi pinzg35, is the LPCM logo indicator light on? It appears you're only getting 2ch stereo playing out to your 5.1 system.

What model is the BD player and what are the audio settings? And what BD movie are you playing?
pinzg35's Avatar pinzg35 09:20 PM 01-13-2011
yes, the LPCM logo is on. its the bdp-bx57. it's "the other guys" which isn't high action but in the audio selection, you can choose dts
JChin's Avatar JChin 09:27 PM 01-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzg35 View Post

yes, the LPCM logo is on. its the bdp-bx57. it's "the other guys" which isn't high action but in the audio selection, you can choose dts

Is the BD player connected to receiver via HDMI and HDMI logo indicator is on?

What is the BD player audio settings?

Leave the receiver Sound Field is "AFD Standard". Is the Receiver HDMI Control set to Off?
pinzg35's Avatar pinzg35 09:47 PM 01-13-2011
yes to both. the bd audio settings is set to auto and the soud field is set to AFD standard and the control is set off. now i don't even see a pro logic II logo
pinzg35's Avatar pinzg35 09:56 PM 01-13-2011
it does sound like i am getting 5.1 but the dts logo isn't on either is the dd
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop