Just bought a SONY HTSS370 HT system in a box.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey.

I was looking for an inexpensive home theater to go with my 50" Panasonic S1 and decided to buy the HTSS370 setup by Sony.

For the price, you get the 5 sats, a decent sub, and tons of hook ups, and its loaded with inputs for the price point: two optical inputs, 1 coax input, 3 hdmi inputs, and 1 hdmi output. I had no interest in a built in blu-ray player, because I am using a PS3 for that, and couldnt find a system that had as many inputs as this unit for the price, that also had the blu-ray player. So I went with this stand alone unit.

It sounds pretty good, but I am a surround sound newb. I first hooked the entire unit up via hdmi, all my devices would pass through the sony reciever, and it would all output to one hdmi input on the tv. I quickly cahnged this when i realized I would loose all my independent input settings on the tv. So, I hooked it up to audio only, utilizing the optical outputs on all my devices. Now I have the ability to use my independent inputs, and use the surround system, without it being so intrusive.

The Auto Calibration with the Mic was quick and easy! My dog didn't enjoy it though...

I am using D.C.S. Movie mode....but am a little confused. Is that the best option for 5.1 surround? I don't see a Dolby Digital, or DTS option....Just D.C.S., and Prologic II, among some other custom ones like "sports". Is D.C.S. the way to go? It sounds like the best one.
redwolf4k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nah DCS is just Sony's proprietary Cinema soundfields, you don't really need to use those unless you really like one (or more) of them. If you stick with AFD standard or whatever, you will get pure DD/DTS decoding or multi-LPCM over HDMI as it is transmitted.
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #3 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Newbie
 
chkngreez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The system you bought will decode dolby digital and dts, you need to make sure your sources are set up to output these formats. Also, if you are watching something that is not broadcast in DD, such as certain cable or satellite channels or shows, then you wont have the option to select DD.
chkngreez is offline  
post #4 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see....I am ahving a problem setting my TWC box to "bolby digital" because when I do, it stops sending the HDMI feed of sound...so i loose the sound to the regular tv speakers....when left set to HDMI...the sound coming from the coax output to the surround system sounds different...not surround.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #5 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Member
 
TheJoelster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just literally bought this unit as well. It comes next week. Are you using the S-Air at all?

How are you liking the unit so far? I didn't need the blu-ray player either (have a PS3) so I thought this would be an inexpensive first home theater system to invest in.. Love to hear your thoughts!
TheJoelster is offline  
post #6 of 207 Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Hey.

I was looking for an inexpensive home theater to go with my 50" Panasonic S1 and decided to buy the HTSS370 setup by Sony.

For the price, you get the 5 sats, a decent sub, and tons of hook ups, and its loaded with inputs for the price point: two optical inputs, 1 coax input, 3 hdmi inputs, and 1 hdmi output. I had no interest in a built in blu-ray player, because I am using a PS3 for that, and couldnt find a system that had as many inputs as this unit for the price, that also had the blu-ray player. So I went with this stand alone unit.

It sounds pretty good, but I am a surround sound newb. I first hooked the entire unit up via hdmi, all my devices would pass through the sony reciever, and it would all output to one hdmi input on the tv. I quickly cahnged this when i realized I would loose all my independent input settings on the tv. So, I hooked it up to audio only, utilizing the optical outputs on all my devices. Now I have the ability to use my independent inputs, and use the surround system, without it being so intrusive.

The Auto Calibration with the Mic was quick and easy! My dog didn't enjoy it though...

I am using D.C.S. Movie mode....but am a little confused. Is that the best option for 5.1 surround? I don't see a Dolby Digital, or DTS option....Just D.C.S., and Prologic II, among some other custom ones like "sports". Is D.C.S. the way to go? It sounds like the best one.

I have the HT-SS370 and love it with my PS3 and Bravia TV.

I don't understand what you mean by the HDMI connections being intrusive. The receiver knows when you are using the "TV" or the PS3 and should switch automatically. You are definitely missing out by using optical for the PS3. The PS3 should not be connected to the receiver via optical. HDMI is the way to go. The PS3 is able to decode DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD and sent it LPCM to the receiver only via HDMI, not optical. You have to make sure that DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD are selected in the audio options on the PS3 and that you set up the PS3 to send the BD signal on Linear PCM. The Receiver unit will show LPCM in the display even though the PS3 is handling all the decoding. Optical can't handle the bandwidth. If you want to check what the PS3 is decoding and sending LPCM to the unit, you can check by pressing "triangle" on the PS3 controller and then "i" for info. The information is shown in the upper right corner. As I said, the receiver will only show that is receiving LPCM.

However, an optical cable is optimal from the TV to the receiver unit, since DD 5.1 and 2.1 can be sent through optical cable, and most stations broadcast in those formats. The best Sound Field setting for playing BD movies and games from the PS3 is AFD-STD since this reproduces sounds as they were meant to be reproduced. When playing broadcast TV, I select PL-II movies and the unit detects if a station is broadcasting DD 5.1 or 2.0. If it is 2.0 the PL-II kicks in to give surround, if it is 5.1 only DD 5.1 is reproduced. If you have a cable box with coax, then coax can be used from the box instead of the optical from the TV or cable box.

I don't like the Movie-DCS and, but this is a matter of taste. I like to hear the sounds as they were meant by the source material, as I mentioned above. Movie-DCS does work with 5.1 DD and 2.0 or ay signal, and it applies PL-I if needed. Like I said, I mostly don't use for BD/DVD playing and select AFD-STD. However, I do use Movie-DCS for Netflix streaming since Netflix is not streaming DD 5.1 still and I find that it works well for these movies.

Also, the unit detects signal automatically, you can't select if you want DD, or DTS, the unit does from the signal and PL-I or PL-II are applied automatically, if needed and you have it selected as a sound field. Also, when you are using your external speaker or 5.1 you should not have the TV speakers working... I am probably misunderstanding something from your comment, but it seems like you are trying to run the TV speakers while the 5.1 system is on. The TV speakers should be OFF while the 5.1 is on.

I have this system and, like I said before, I am loving it. Let me know if you have any questions.
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #7 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The HDMI pass through setup IS nice, but I cannot use it, because when sending the HDMI output from the receiver to the Tv, the TV only utilizes one of its inputs, which means I can only use one set of picture settings. This got annoying fast because I need zero over scan with my PS3, but I need 2.5% over scan with my digital cable box, due to varying content and channels. This is why I am using optical cables for the cable box, and the ps3.

On top of that, it was bugging out my cable box when it switched from PS3 to the box, or vice versa. The cable box would get caught in the wrong resolution, like 480p when it should be on 1080i. Its a SA8300 HDC running Mystro from TWC. I found the only way to keep my independent input settings and for the cable box to not be so buggy, was to use the surround system as audio only.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the surround system though, its really my preference.

I suppose I COULD wire JUST the ps3 with HDMI, and output HDMI to the tv to another input, then all my other devices would run directly to the tv, and optical/coax to the receiver. This would allow me to use HDMI audio with the Ps3, and keep my independent inputs on the tv, but then I would be juggling changing the input on both the TV, and the RECEIVER, would would be annoying to me as well.

It seems the only way I could have my cake and eat it too, is if the receiver had 3 independent HDMI outputs....but lets be serious, lol.

Am I really missing that much on the PS3 sound by not going HDMI? It sound amazing to me now.

Despite all of that, it sounds great, even when utilizing 5.1 via optical and coax.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #8 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

The HDMI pass through setup IS nice, but I cannot use it, because when sending the HDMI output from the receiver to the Tv, the TV only utilizes one of its inputs, which means I can only use one set of picture settings. This got annoying fast because I need zero over scan with my PS3, but I need 2.5% over scan with my digital cable box, due to varying content and channels. This is why I am using optical cables for the cable box, and the ps3.

On top of that, it was bugging out my cable box when it switched from PS3 to the box, or vice versa. The cable box would get caught in the wrong resolution, like 480p when it should be on 1080i. Its a SA8300 HDC running Mystro from TWC. I found the only way to keep my independent input settings and for the cable box to not be so buggy, was to use the surround system as audio only.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the surround system though, its really my preference.

I suppose I COULD wire JUST the ps3 with HDMI, and output HDMI to the tv to another input, then all my other devices would run directly to the tv, and optical/coax to the receiver. This would allow me to use HDMI audio with the Ps3, and keep my independent inputs on the tv, but then I would be juggling changing the input on both the TV, and the RECEIVER, would would be annoying to me as well.

It seems the only way I could have my cake and eat it too, is if the receiver had 3 independent HDMI outputs....but lets be serious, lol.

Am I really missing that much on the PS3 sound by not going HDMI? It sound amazing to me now.

Despite all of that, it sounds great, even when utilizing 5.1 via optical and coax.

Yes, you're correct, you'll need to hookup your PS3 through HDMI, so you'll pass HD MA and TrueHD. and the rest via optical and not lose anything....and still keep your TV's independant input settings.

-Best,
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #9 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks dsskid,

in your opinion, am I really missing out using Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical output on this particular receiver, vs TrueHD via HDMI? Or is the difference so minute, that it wouldn't be worth the trouble?
redwolf4k is offline  
post #10 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
scorrpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You say:
Quote:


I suppose I COULD wire JUST the ps3 with HDMI, and output HDMI to the tv to another input, then all my other devices would run directly to the tv, and optical/coax to the receiver. This would allow me to use HDMI audio with the Ps3, and keep my independent inputs on the tv, but then I would be juggling changing the input on both the TV, and the RECEIVER, would would be annoying to me as well.

But what you have now is:
Quote:


So, I hooked it up to audio only, utilizing the optical outputs on all my devices. Now I have the ability to use my independent inputs, and use the surround system, without it being so intrusive.

Don't you have to switch BOTH TV and Receiver with your current setup anyway - with video feeds going to TV and audio feeds going to the receiver?
scorrpio is offline  
post #11 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, Scorpio...your right. I have to switch the input on both the tv and the receiver anyway, regardless.

I will most likely re-route the ps3 via HDMI.

Running the HDMI through a reciever doesnt degrade video quality does it? I know with component cables, that it coudl effect overall quality, but with HDMI, if the signal gets to the tv, it looks great. Either you get it, or you don't, right?
redwolf4k is offline  
post #12 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Member
 
g011um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the "Bravia Sync" stuff solve the single input problem (when using a Sony TV, of course)? I'm thinking that when the receiver switches to the input for my Xbox 360, for example, the SS370 and the TV should "talk" and realize that I need game mode, is that correct?
g011um is offline  
post #13 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Panasonic Plasma. So I am not sure. I know that when I had the devices hooked up to the receiver via HDMI, and one HDMI out to the tv, that the receiver did not automatically switch inputs for me, at all. The only cool thing was my Panasonic Plasma knew when the receiver was powered on or off, and when it was on, my tv remote would control the receiver volume, not the tv volume.

Before I go re-wiring my entire setup, is TrueHD REALLY worth using on this receiver? The receiver is only a 5.1 system....wouldn't i need a 71. system to take advantage of TrueHD?
redwolf4k is offline  
post #14 of 207 Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I have a Panasonic Plasma. So I am not sure. I know that when I had the devices hooked up to the receiver via HDMI, and one HDMI out to the tv, that the receiver did not automatically switch inputs for me, at all. The only cool thing was my Panasonic Plasma knew when the receiver was powered on or off, and when it was on, my tv remote would control the receiver volume, not the tv volume.

Before I go re-wiring my entire setup, is TrueHD REALLY worth using on this receiver? The receiver is only a 5.1 system....wouldn't i need a 71. system to take advantage of TrueHD?

No, you don't need 7.1 to enjoy TrueHD. As a matter of fact, most TrueHD and DTS-MA material out there right now is 5.1 and not 7.1. Yes, you are missing out if you are not listening to the lossless quality given to you by these formats. After all, this is the way to experience HD and BDs at their fullest.

Once again, HDMI from the PS3 or any BD player for both video and audio is the way to go to get the best sound and video quality. The SONY SS370 sounds amazing when playing lossless LPCM sent from decoded TruHD and DTS-MA.
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #15 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by g011um View Post

Does the "Bravia Sync" stuff solve the single input problem (when using a Sony TV, of course)? I'm thinking that when the receiver switches to the input for my Xbox 360, for example, the SS370 and the TV should "talk" and realize that I need game mode, is that correct?

You are correct.
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #16 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does the receiver and the Panasonic S1 tv both support higher then 48khz? I left those all unchecked when setting up the ps3 sound settings.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #17 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You guys are the best...

So I took the advice given here...

I wired my ps3 via HDMI, into the receiver, and HDMI out from the receiver to the tv. Then, I wired my Cable box directly to the tv via HDMI, and then via optical cable to the receiver. Now, when i switch inputs on the TV, the receiver automatically follows! Sweet!

For some reason, when I wire the cable box to the receiver via hdmi, it wouldn't automatically switch inputs...because I never turn my cable box off...out of convienience.

So...now I have the best of both worlds. I have my independent inputs on the tv, and, the receiver can now perform TrueHD and DTS-MA with the ps3. As a bonus, the receiver automatically switches inputs, when i change inputs on the tv, and, my panasonic s1 has a smart volume control that knows when to control the volume on th receiver via its remote, rather then the tv speakers, based on if the receiver is powered on or not.

Couldn't be more perfect.

Thanks everyone!
redwolf4k is offline  
post #18 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
wait...I still cannot get it right.

I have the ps3 setup through hdmi...i went to sound settings, turned everything on, then went to blu ray settings, and set PCM. now when I turn off the receiver, to use regular tv speakers, there is no voices lol.

The receiver displays LPCM when playing LOTR blu rays....and the PS3 info displays DTS-MA. It SEEMS right, although to me, it doesn't sound the same as DTS via optical did.

Again, when I turn OFF the receiver, and turn the volume up on my tv speakers, the voices are gone....whats going on there?

How can I fix that...

It's very confusing. It seems like the setup wont work unless i turn on PCM 5.1 in the sound options of the ps3, and when I do, i cant use my tv speakers anymore.

Blah~!
redwolf4k is offline  
post #19 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

wait...I still cannot get it right.

I have the ps3 setup through hdmi...i went to sound settings, turned everything on, then went to blu ray settings, and set PCM. now when I turn off the receiver, to use regular tv speakers, there is no voices lol.

The receiver displays LPCM when playing LOTR blu rays....and the PS3 info displays DTS-MA. It SEEMS right, although to me, it doesn't sound the same as DTS via optical did.

Again, when I turn OFF the receiver, and turn the volume up on my tv speakers, the voices are gone....whats going on there?

How can I fix that...

It's very confusing. It seems like the setup wont work unless i turn on PCM 5.1 in the sound options of the ps3, and when I do, i cant use my tv speakers anymore.

Blah~!

The PS3 setting should have nothing to do with the cable and TV settings. The problems with the voices has to be related to that side and nothing with the PS3. Anyway, why do you want to use the TV speakers at all? ;-)
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #20 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

The PS3 is able to decode DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD and sent it LPCM to the receiver only via HDMI, not optical. You have to make sure that DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD are selected in the audio options on the PS3 and that you set up the PS3 to send the BD signal on Linear PCM. The Receiver unit will show LPCM in the display even though the PS3 is handling all the decoding.

This does not work (for me). This results in 3.1 sound from the receiver. Not to mention, the HDMI sound won't properly pass to the tv speakers when the receiver is turned off.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #21 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboricua View Post

The PS3 setting should have nothing to do with the cable and TV settings. The problems with the voices has to be related to that side and nothing with the PS3. Anyway, why do you want to use the TV speakers at all? ;-)

Let me clarify a bit. When I am watching a blu ray movie, ps3 is connected to the receiver, via HDMI, and receiver to tv via hdmi, i have the option to turn off the receiver and the sound should pass through, and return to the tv speakers again. This doesn't work with the HDMI setup. I get partial sound for some reason. I would assume it is because the ps3 feeds the receiver 5.1 LPCM, because it is doing the decoding, but when the receiver turns off...the ps3 doesnt really know...so it continues sending 5.1....and the two tv speakers probablly kick on as front left and front right.

Thats just my guess.

I am going to have to switch back to using the optical output on the ps3, and let the receiver do the decoding. The ps3 has a great feature that allows 2 channel audio to output from the hdmi port while you use the 5.1 from the optical, allowing me to use the reciever or tv speakers at will. The thing that sucks is I loose all the auto-input changing, and have to juggle a few remotes.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #22 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

This does not work (for me). This results in 3.1 sound from the receiver. Not to mention, the HDMI sound won't properly pass to the tv speakers when the receiver is turned off.

LPCM from the PS3 through HDMI should give you 5.1 DTS-MA or TrueHD when playing movies if you have those decoders selected in the audio options and you make sure that the movies are set-up to those formats. Sometimes the movies default to 2.1 so you have to select TruHD or DTS-MA through the Audio menu on the movies. Other that that, there should not be any reason to get less than that from the system.
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #23 of 207 Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowboricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Let me clarify a bit. When I am watching a blu ray movie, ps3 is connected to the receiver, via HDMI, and receiver to tv via hdmi, i have the option to turn off the receiver and the sound should pass through, and return to the tv speakers again. This doesn't work with the HDMI setup. I get partial sound for some reason. I would assume it is because the ps3 feeds the receiver 5.1 LPCM, because it is doing the decoding, but when the receiver turns off...the ps3 doesnt really know...so it continues sending 5.1....and the two tv speakers probablly kick on as front left and front right.

Thats just my guess.

I am going to have to switch back to using the optical output on the ps3, and let the receiver do the decoding. The ps3 has a great feature that allows 2 channel audio to output from the hdmi port while you use the 5.1 from the optical, allowing me to use the reciever or tv speakers at will. The thing that sucks is I loose all the auto-input changing, and have to juggle a few remotes.

Alright... I guess that is what works for you. Enjoy.
Shadowboricua is offline  
post #24 of 207 Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I appreciate all the help, and I have learned a lot about home theater audio in the past few days. It's been so long since I toyed with home theater audio, that I didn't even know these new lossless formats existed.

I still cannot get the receiver to do everything I want it to do however. I can get DTS HD MA, and TruHD, to go to all 6 channels via LPCM, without an issue. However, my tv is in a living room, not a theater room. As you could imagine, I don't want all my content to be blaring through a surround system. That's why it is important for me to have the option of shutting the power off on the receiver, and having the HDMI bypass mode kick in.

It does kick in just fine, but when I have the PS3 set to LPCM 5.1 for the lossless tracks, then when the receiver is turned off and goes into bypass mode, the ps3 stays in LPCM 5.1, and the left and right speakers on the tv only get two of the 6 channels...no mixing. That makes the TV speakers useless.

Because of this, I am forced to downgrade the PS3 to an optical connection, and use DD/DTS 5.1 lossy. This way I can enable the multi-output mode for HDMI.

Is there no way to get the ps3 to drop down to 2 channel once the receiver is turned off? I tried simple stuff like power cycling the ps3 with the receiver off, etc, to see if it would kick into 2 channel when the receiver is off, but no luck. It's not just blu ray payback, it is video games as well. Using LPCM render's the bypass mode to be useless, which is simply not an option for me.

I have spoken to a few people about this outside the forum, and one opinion was to not even bother, as there is "no way I could hear a difference between DD/DTS 5.1 and lossless via LPCM with this caliber of a system." Opinions?

If anyone stumbles across this thread and knows a fix for the above issue, or has any ideas, please let me know, I would be very grateful!
redwolf4k is offline  
post #25 of 207 Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
crazyfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a HTSS370 but I have problem to get 5.1 from my PC. I am using S3 Chrome 530 graphic card and connecting by HDMI to my HTSS370 but i can only get 2.1 sound from any 5.1 DVD or Blu-ray video file. I tried many programs such as power DVD 10 and kmplayer (tired AC3 filter and any other audio codec but no luck). Anyone please help me with that. I really want to get the 5.1 from my PC since i have many video files in my hard drive. Thanks a lot.
crazyfinger is offline  
post #26 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I still cannot get the receiver to do everything I want it to do however. I can get DTS HD MA, and TruHD, to go to all 6 channels via LPCM, without an issue. However, my tv is in a living room, not a theater room. As you could imagine, I don't want all my content to be blaring through a surround system. That's why it is important for me to have the option of shutting the power off on the receiver, and having the HDMI bypass mode kick in.

It does kick in just fine, but when I have the PS3 set to LPCM 5.1 for the lossless tracks, then when the receiver is turned off and goes into bypass mode, the ps3 stays in LPCM 5.1, and the left and right speakers on the tv only get two of the 6 channels...no mixing. That makes the TV speakers useless.

Everything you mention is correct operation. Your problem is that you insist on using the TV speakers. I'm pretty sure the SS370 has a volume knob, which would prevent things from "blaring" all the time as you put it. You can even turn the sub level down to off if you don't want to use the sub at times. If you stuck with using the system you wouldn't have a problem. It seems, however that there are a lot of people that for some strange reason, want to use TV speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Because of this, I am forced to downgrade the PS3 to an optical connection, and use DD/DTS 5.1 lossy. This way I can enable the multi-output mode for HDMI.

This, to me, senses no make at all. You have to downgrade your audio to lossy formats to use speakers (in the TV) which are also going to be poor. So it's a "double whammy" there--poorer quality source format and then poorer quality speakers to play it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Is there no way to get the ps3 to drop down to 2 channel once the receiver is turned off? I tried simple stuff like power cycling the ps3 with the receiver off, etc, to see if it would kick into 2 channel when the receiver is off, but no luck. It's not just blu ray payback, it is video games as well. Using LPCM render's the bypass mode to be useless, which is simply not an option for me.

Again this is correct operation, the only way around it is to go into the PS3's audio settings and set everything everytime you switch from the receiver to the TV (and vice versa). What may work (I'm not sure as I've never tried doing these shens) is leaving the PS3 to auto-detect the audio formats it can send. However it also may not work because IIRC the auto-detect isn't itself automatic, it's a manual option you go to when setting up your audio. It's worth a try though but no guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I have spoken to a few people about this outside the forum, and one opinion was to not even bother, as there is "no way I could hear a difference between DD/DTS 5.1 and lossless via LPCM with this caliber of a system." Opinions?

Actually it's pretty easy to hear the difference IMO. First time I tried going back and forth was with I Am Legend, the opening scene where he's driving the Mustang. If you have this movie, try it out and switch from the DD to the TrueHD track (outputting to the SS370 via LPCM) and you should easily hear the difference as well. I mean it's night and day between the two IMO.

So Dolby Digital 384-640 will be readily distinguishable IMO. DTS 768 (754 payload) might be a little harder to distinguish but I think you would still be able to. DTS 1536 (1509 payload) aka "DTS core" on a DTS-HD track might be where it gets tougher because on a 5.1 track that's a pretty good per channel bitrate. But for DD, it is pretty hard to not hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

If anyone stumbles across this thread and knows a fix for the above issue, or has any ideas, please let me know, I would be very grateful!

The "fix" is to stop using the TV speakers or try leaving the PS3 on auto (which probably won't work but worth a try). Otherwise you are stuck with changing it everytime in the PS3 setup menu. Or you could buy another PS3 and connect it to another input on the TV and set it up solely for use with TV speakers, lol.
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #27 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ES_Revenge, thanks for the.....sarcastic....advice.

Who wouldn't want the option of using the tv speakers?

think I ACTUALLY found the solution however. It involves using the standard PS3 hookup, the proprietary one that connects the yellow red and white RCAs. I THINK I can just use the red and white off of them to get standard audio to my Panasonic S1 plasma, then set the plasma to receive the HDMI input audio through the "Video 1 or Video 2" input.

This way, I can get the lossless audio formats to the receiver, AND , still use those crappy standard speakers, at will, via analog audio.

I just wonder if it will work.


Besides all that, the receiver is great. For the price of this unit, you get quite a lot of features that you usually cannot get for its price point:

The auto calibrator mic and auto setup,
3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, (the inputs accept LPCM for lossless audio.)
2 Optical inputs
1 Coax input
AM/FM Tuner
A decent sized passive sub that works very well.
5 decent quality satellites, that I consider to be better then average for this price point.

Decodes DTS/DD and accepts LPCM up to 5.1.


Hard to beat for $300-$350 bucks.
redwolf4k is offline  
post #28 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Member
 
TheJoelster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

ES_Revenge, thanks for the.....sarcastic....advice.

Who wouldn't want the option of using the tv speakers?

think I ACTUALLY found the solution however. It involves using the standard PS3 hookup, the proprietary one that connects the yellow red and white RCAs. I THINK I can just use the red and white off of them to get standard audio to my Panasonic S1 plasma, then set the plasma to receive the HDMI input audio through the "Video 1 or Video 2" input.

This way, I can get the lossless audio formats to the receiver, AND , still use those crappy standard speakers, at will, via analog audio.

I just wonder if it will work.


Besides all that, the receiver is great. For the price of this unit, you get quite a lot of features that you usually cannot get for its price point:

The auto calibrator mic and auto setup,
3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, (the inputs accept LPCM for lossless audio.)
2 Optical inputs
1 Coax input
AM/FM Tuner
A decent sized passive sub that works very well.
5 decent quality satellites, that I consider to be better then average for this price point.

Decodes DTS/DD and accepts LPCM up to 5.1.


Hard to beat for $300-$350 bucks.

Thanks for your thoughts on the HTS-S370 I get my unit tomorrow so I am excited to get them set up. How do you like the look of the speakers? Are they bulky? Does the sub sound pretty good? Your using a wired setup for your rear speakers?
TheJoelster is offline  
post #29 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

ES_Revenge, thanks for the.....sarcastic....advice.

Who wouldn't want the option of using the tv speakers?

Isn't the question who would want to use the TV speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

think I ACTUALLY found the solution however. It involves using the standard PS3 hookup, the proprietary one that connects the yellow red and white RCAs. I THINK I can just use the red and white off of them to get standard audio to my Panasonic S1 plasma, then set the plasma to receive the HDMI input audio through the "Video 1 or Video 2" input.

This way, I can get the lossless audio formats to the receiver, AND , still use those crappy standard speakers, at will, via analog audio.

I just wonder if it will work.

Seems like you are in luck TV-speakers-man you can do this as of firmware 3.0 (you couldn't before I guess they changed this a while ago though). There are slight restrictions on the HDMI if you do this however (max. multi LPCM output becomes 5.1 48kHz). Lucky again--most BDs are within that limitation.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...udiomulti.html
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #30 of 207 Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
redwolf4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Isn't the question who would want to use the TV speakers?



Seems like you are in luck TV-speakers-man you can do this as of firmware 3.0 (you couldn't before I guess they changed this a while ago though). There are slight restrictions on the HDMI if you do this however (max. multi LPCM output becomes 5.1 48kHz). Lucky again--most BDs are within that limitation.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...udiomulti.html

Perfect. Thanks for the link. From the link:

"- Even if [Audio Multi-Output] is set to [On] on a CECH-2000 series system, bitstream audio recorded in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD format cannot be output on the system."

Does this apply to me? I have a Ps3 Slim.

Also, before I make this swtich, I want to make sure that under HDMI audio settings, that I turn on:

Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and all the LPCM 5.1?
redwolf4k is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off