Onkyo HT-S5300 problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THIS is not a thread to complain about the sound, or the speakers. it is to complain about the shotty quality of the reciever. for some reason, (and others have had this problem), the HDMI signal will periodically cut out. sometimes not at all, sometimes just the sound, sometimes just the picture, sometimes both leaving you with a blue screen. Ive tried different HDMI cables, different DVR's, different power outlets from a different circuit, all to the same result. its very unpredictable. for a sub 500 dollar HTib, i dont expect much, but to be able for it to just WORK, nothing more. and sadly, as myself and others are experiencing, its not working. if someone cant post a solution to this problem, i will be contacting Amazon and requesting an RMA. So far everyone who has spoken with tech support has either been told they are doing it wrong, or, that forums are just silly and dont mean anything. if this is what I can expect from Onkyo, ill be switching with much haste to a different system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Update? Was this a problem with your cable/sat box?
post #3 of 18 Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM

That's bad I hope you can get a RMA then...

As for me, I've got this system yesterday and it's currently working fine for me, as I posted in this topic here.

Devices connected to it:
60GB PS3 via HDMI, 1080p
Nintendo Wii via Component, 480p
Tvix M-6500A via HDMI, 1080p
post #4 of 18 Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Onkyo Admitting their is an issue:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=185
post #5 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

im calling them tomorrow.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 PM

It's a pretty shoddy receiver. At first, I had all kinds of issues getting 1080p working (1080i or lower worked fine). Once I got that issue sorted out (Not convinced the issue won't return), I noticed the occasional sound drop, even from a stereo source. Now, I'm having the switched surround speakers issue with PCM that Onkyo themselves even acknowledges. Because I have a 3D TV, I want a receiver that supports HDMI 1.4, and this package sure seemed to fit the bill nicely. I also love the onscreen display. Nice touch, plus I think it sounds great. The glitches are just frustrating. I know if I attempt to exchange the unit, I'll probably just end up with another dud. It's not like only a few of us are having issues, it's A LOT of us.

Hopefully Amazon will allow me to get a refund. I have no interest in trying to get Onkyo to repair it. Going by other people's stories, it sounds like that is a massive headache in and of itself.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah I just boxed mine up to ship it back to Amazon. Somethings really wrong with the receiver.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM

i bought this system 3 weeks ago and have been having problems as well. i have 3 hdmi sources going into the receiver, and then one out to my tv. all of the hdmi connections through the receiver stopped working but if i hooked them straight to my tv, they would work just fine.

so a week ago i took the receiver to hhgregg (where i purchased the system) and since i was within their return policy window, they just swapped receivers from another system and took my original receiver back and packed it in the box to send it back to onkyo.

now fast forward a week to today, and i am back to having issues with the hdmi, i turned everything on today and nothing would work through the receiver (i get noisy video (snowy screen) and audio that both cut out every 4-5 seconds and come back).

so here i am again, going to call hhgregg in the morning but i am not too optimistic seeing that two receivers have failed, one in two weeks, one in one week.

if anyone has any more information about these systems it would help my frustration greatly!
post #9 of 18 Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Onkyo Admitting their is an issue:

just as a note, this is not the issue i am having, refer to my post in this thread discussing my problem.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had the video cutting out 2 days ago... but resetting my DVR fixed it. Nothing else was doing the cutting out. Apparently, a lot of people using a specific DirectTV box have had the issue as well.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Which D* receiver? SD, HD, and/or DVR and what's manufacturer's code...?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post

Which D* receiver? SD, HD, and/or DVR and what's manufacturer's code...?

I have audio dropping out on my HT-S3300 when I am connected to my DirecTV HD receiver D24 (non-DVR model). I am using all HDMI cables.

I have only noticed the drop outs so far when my DirecTV box audio Dolby Digital is set to on. When the sound drops out, the red Dolby light on the receiver goes out. I am also using the Audissey function. I've only had the unit about a week, so I am still playing around with the settings. The drop outs seem more frequent when first tuning to a station.

I have not noticed any drop outs yet when watching a blu-ray in Dolby.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Wanted to bump this thread because I am having this problem with the receiver now. Evey input I change to shows a blue screen. I tried resetting the receiver, and I tried reseating the HDMI cables... Still get a blue screen. I ran the HDMI cables to my TV directly, and that works, so I know it's not the HDMI cables. Everything was working just fine yesterday. My receiver doesn't run hot and is well-ventilated.

Any other ideas to fix this problem? I get the strange feeling I'll be sending this receiver back to the service center for repair...
post #14 of 18 Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post

Wanted to bump this thread because I am having this problem with the receiver now. Evey input I change to shows a blue screen. I tried resetting the receiver, and I tried reseating the HDMI cables... Still get a blue screen. I ran the HDMI cables to my TV directly, and that works, so I know it's not the HDMI cables. Everything was working just fine yesterday. My receiver doesn't run hot and is well-ventilated.

Any other ideas to fix this problem? I get the strange feeling I'll be sending this receiver back to the service center for repair...

I have to admit I don't like this at all, I'm looking into this HTIB and I have/had very high expectations of it...but it seems that the more I read about it the more I lean towards the s6300
post #15 of 18 Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

I have to admit I don't like this at all, I'm looking into this HTIB and I have/had very high expectations of it...but it seems that the more I read about it the more I lean towards the s6300

Well, just FYI, it's working again. I'm chalking it up to a gremlin. It's all good now. Very odd.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post

Well, just FYI, it's working again. I'm chalking it up to a gremlin. It's all good now. Very odd.

So.....you do recommend the s5300 after all?
post #17 of 18 Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

So.....you do recommend the s5300 after all?

I'm just saying that it works, I don't know how I fixed it or what caused the problem.

I do like it, though.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 PM

owned unit since 6-2010 came back from vacation and only tuner and i pod dock work,, HDMI input and out puts dont work ,, tv said connecting,,then just goes away. Cable HDMI box can be routed direct to tv all good. by passing the receiver was the answer, so im assuming there are issues with the PCB HDMI,,dont think its fuse related,,, any input on this,, Onkyo said I could trade it in,, but would also like to fix it since Ive been using it for over 3 yrs everyday,,,
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page