How do I test surround sound? Rear speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have NO CLUE what I am doing!

Got my Onkyo HT-S3300 on Monday. Good thing it was a rainy day, spent most of the day setting things up. At the end both front speakers, and subwoofer worked.

Spent an hour today, removed the DVD/ VCR unit from the mix, and got the center speaker working.

Can't get the Onkyo setup menu up on the TV screen unless I disconnect the HDMI cable.

How do I test the rear speakers to see if they are working? Watching Jeopardy with my 83 y.o. Dad doesn't do it, lol! I tried tuning in MTV (first time I EVER used that channel) but nothing came out the rear speakers. I am using the Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit; had both the receiver and transmitter from that connected, with the solid red light, which means they are communicating, so that bit is fine.

Second q: can I connect the DVD/ VCR player from 2002, with no HDMI connections, to this mix at all? Owner's manual says it is Dolby Digital, and Compact Disc Digital Audio. If yes, er, HOW? I had the cable going from the FIOS set top box into this DVD/VCR unit, then a cable out of this and into the TV, and that is when I could not get the TV setup menu to acknowledge the HDMI cable from the Onkyo receiver at all so no center speaker. Removed all that to get the center speaker working.

Sitting on the floor with 3 remotes, 3 manuals, and 3 boxes (set top box, dvd/vcr, and Onkyo receiver) is NOT fun, although my 5 dogs through it was was great I was down there, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 181
So what are you using to watch TV? do you have a cable box or tivo/dvr?

Not all channels and shows are broadcasted in 5.1.

The best way to test your 5.1 is a movie with a good action seen. Master and Commander or Avatar are good films for that.

You make sure you have the rear surround speakers turned on and I would suggest getting a db meter and test tone disc to properly set up your sound. How to do this should be in the manual.

What are the connections at the back of your DVD/VCR? If it has component outputs I would use those for the video, and then if it has optical audio out I would use that to get the audio to your receiver.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks.

To watch TV: I have Verizon FIOS, and the set top box for that. I did not spend the extra money to use their TiVo or recording / playback option (I don't remember what they call it) as I have my own unit.

My dvd /vcr unit has the component connections, and I have the ribbon cable to do that. But from the experience earlier this week, I can't connect this to the FIOS box, it has to go directly to the TV I guess? And only the audio line connects to the Onkyo receiver. Hmmm, will try that.

LOL I can't watch Master, Commander, Avatar or any of my other dvd / vhs tapes until I get that darn thing set up!

AND just think -- after I get all THIS done, then I need to add in the stereo system to listen to my CDs!
post #4 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Check the settings of your FIOS box it may only output 2.0 audio but you could turn the 5.1 option on
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what the FIOS box does 2.1 or how to turn on the 5.1, will have to look into that.

Spent 2 hours tonight, finally have the dvd /vcr player connected and working.

The dvd /vcr player only uses 3 wires: red, white and yellow, so that is what I had to use; couldn't use the 5 wire component ribbon. (there were a ton of options how to plug 3 little wires in, gosh!)

Don't think I have Dolby turned on on that unit yet, though. Too tired to check that; will be the next step.

Oh, got the FM antenna on the Onkyo receiver so the tuner part works as well.

Taking me ages, but I doing it myself!
post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2B View Post

I don't know what the FIOS box does 2.1 or how to turn on the 5.1, will have to look into that.

The dvd /vcr player only uses 3 wires: red, white and yellow, so that is what I had to use; couldn't use the 5 wire component ribbon. (there were a ton of options how to plug 3 little wires in, gosh!)

Don't think I have Dolby turned on on that unit yet, though. Too tired to check that; will be the next step.

First, your FIOS is producing 5.1 sound. However, your are passing it through your old DVD/VCR with analog stereo output-two wires are for sound (L/R) and the third is for video, negating the surround capability of the FIOS set top box. Bypass the DVD/VCR player and send the output to the receiver with an HDMI cable and listen to an action show from CBS, ABC, etc. like CSI. To get the digital affect of the DVD/VCR you will have to use a digital cable such as an optical (toslink) or conventional digital cable. Currently you have only an analog stereo output connection from your DVD/VCR player.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2B View Post

First, your FIOS is producing 5.1 sound. However, your are passing it through your old DVD/VCR with analog stereo output-two wires are for sound (L/R) and the third is for video, negating the surround capability of the FIOS set top box. Bypass the DVD/VCR player and send the output to the receiver with an HDMI cable and listen to an action show from CBS, ABC, etc. like CSI. To get the digital affect of the DVD/VCR you will have to use a digital cable such as an optical (toslink) or conventional digital cable. Currently you have only an analog stereo output connection from your DVD/VCR player.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yes this is how I have done it. I have the cable from the wall to the set top box, and then the HDMI cable out of that and in to the TV.

THEN, the dvd/vcr unit has the separate connections to the Onkyo receiver for the sound and to the TV for the video, but never connects to the FIOS set top box.
Means I can't record a broadcast, but that is fine w/me.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Set-top box's HDMI out should go to the receiver and then the receiver's HDMI out to the TV

Most TV's do not output 5.1 audio from their audio outs just 2.0

What is the model number of your DVD/VCR I'll see if I can find the manual to tell you the proper way to hook it up.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I did start a separate thread on just that issue.

It is Symphonic WF802. It is old, 2002.

I have the set top box - receiver - TV as you said.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Why don't use Android or iPhone App "Surround Test" from CCL Software Co. Limited. Easy to test surround performance.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah sing View Post

Why don't use Android or iPhone App "Surround Test" from CCL Software Co. Limited. Easy to test surround performance.
It's been three and a half years. I suspect he figured it out by now.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
biggrin.gif
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page