Onkyo HT-S3300 -- No Surround Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my Onkyo HT-S3300, but I cannot get the surround sound working. Only the Front speakers work. At first, this was my error, i.e., I mistakenly set the speakers up to the "B" connectors. Finally realized my mistake, and I got some banana plugs, and set the Front speakers up in the correct place. But still no sound comes from the subwoofer or the rear and middle speakers. What I have now is a stereo and I'd love to get 5.1.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

I had similar issues 2 weeks back setting up mine. It takes some juggling.

Are you testing from the TV? Make sure you have the TV set to the proper input.

And on the Onkyo remote, press RECEIVER and then DISPLAY to be sure the signal coming IN to the receiver is 5.1

I had my FIOS connected by a cable running to my dvd/vcr unit and then out of that to my TV. My TV would not recognize my HDMI connection from the receiver until I removed that cable.

I had to bypass my unit. FIOS to Receiver to TV.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hi coden, what is the source, how is it connected and what is the material? And which listening mode is selected?
post #4 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2B View Post

I had similar issues 2 weeks back setting up mine. It takes some juggling.

Are you testing from the TV? Make sure you have the TV set to the proper input.

And on the Onkyo remote, press RECEIVER and then DISPLAY to be sure the signal coming IN to the receiver is 5.1

I had my FIOS connected by a cable running to my dvd/vcr unit and then out of that to my TV. My TV would not recognize my HDMI connection from the receiver until I removed that cable.

I had to bypass my unit. FIOS to Receiver to TV.

I am testing mostly from the TV and the receiver is set to Cable/Sat.

Cable is connected to the receiver with HDMI through cbl/sat and the final connection goes from the receiver HDMI out to TV.

I pressed RECEIVER and then DISPLAY and get Dolby D 2.0 as the signal coming in.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi coden, what is the source, how is it connected and what is the material? And which listening mode is selected?

I also have my Panasonic DMP-BD655 Blu-Ray setup to the receiver's BD/DVD input. In this case, the source is BD/DVD. The material is Kite Runner in 5.1. But 5.1 is not heard.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Do you have surround sound mode activated? Sounds like the receiver is set to stereo.

What type of cables are hooked into the receiver?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden View Post

I am testing mostly from the TV and the receiver is set to Cable/Sat.

Cable is connected to the receiver with HDMI through cbl/sat and the final connection goes from the receiver HDMI out to TV.

I pressed RECEIVER and then DISPLAY and get Dolby D 2.0 as the signal coming in.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Are you watching SD or HD channels? Some HD channel will only produce 2.0 and not 5.1. Most cable box has an audio setting where it can be set to stereo or surround sound (5.1).
post #8 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Are you watching SD or HD channels? Some HD channel will only produce 2.0 and not 5.1. Most cable box has an audio setting where it can be set to stereo or surround sound (5.1).

Connected is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD 8300. There are several connections to choose from. "Digital Audio" takes an RCA cable to send a digital audio signal to a surround-sound receiver or other digital audio device. "HDMI" supports both digital audio and video. I am using the HDMI connector.

I cannot be sure whether the stations I'm watching broadcast in 5.1.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you subscribe to HD channels?
post #10 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have my Panasonic DMP-BD655 Blu-Ray setup to the receiver's BD/DVD input. In this case, the source is BD/DVD. The material is Kite Runner in 5.1. But 5.1 is not heard.

Set BD655 to audio to output "Bitstream" and Secondary Audio to "Off".

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM

In your original post: I don't know why you used or needed banana plugs. I just used the thumb hook ups, put in the 5 speakers, right along that line. So I don't know if this impacts what you are hearing or not.

Take some time with adjustments. I FINALLY got 5.1 working while watching NCIS Los Angeles. Car exploded and practically knocked me out of my chair!

On the remote, press RECEIVER - SET UP

You should get the menu on the TV screen.

Scroll down to 10 - HDMI Set up

Press ENTER

This moves you to the right so you can access the options.
HDMI set as ON
Audio Return Ch set as AUTO
Power Control set as ON
TV Control set as ON

On the remote, press RETURN and this moves you back to the left column.

Scroll to 7 -Audio Adjust and press ENTER to move right again.

I don't (yet) understand all the options there. Just turn everything ON!

Now watch a program which is broadcasting in 5.1.

Use the remote: RECEIVER - DISPLAY will tell you what the receiver has coming in. If it shows 5.1, you should be on a good show to test with.

On the remote, press RECEIVER and then in the lower left scroll through the options for MOVIE / TV.

I sure hope this works! LOL. It did for me. But I really don't know what I did!

I don't have a Blu ray player so not sure on that piece.
post #12 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2B View Post

In your original post: I don't know why you used or needed banana plugs. I just used the thumb hook ups, put in the 5 speakers, right along that line. So I don't know if this impacts what you are hearing or not.

I used the plugs because that was the easiest way to set up the front speakers. All you have to do is tighten the turnscrews and plug 'em in. I don't know what thumb hookups mean, but I'm guessing they're the things you push on so you can then insert the bare wire. Did you know that all speakers EXCEPT FOR the Front Speakers "A" have those connections? And if you have B turned on (which will happen by default should you hook the left and right front speakers to the "thumb hookups"), you won't get surround sound (which of course I'm still not getting.)
post #13 of 32 Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I just checked, I must have moved them and don't remember. SO many changes I have made.

Well it sounds like time for you to phone the Onkyo toll free help line!

BTW, perhaps try one component at a time? Get the TV working, then add in the video player? Then you know the system works. I did TV first, then dvd/vcr.
post #14 of 32 Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

It's easy to forget which settings are which, and what I did yesterday. Oh well. I'm still plugging away (literally as well as figuratively). I did hone in on my cable box and my dishnet 722 DVR and what dya know. The HDMI does not do 5.1. You must use an optical TOS cable instead, or in my case, in addition to the HDMI connection. It's all too much. At least I now have a fine collection of PDF manuals.
post #15 of 32 Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:

i'm still plugging away (literally as well as figuratively).

Ha haa
post #16 of 32 Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

AArrrggghhhh...
The Onkyo has frozen up. The remote does nothing. I changed the batteries, but that's not it. The volume control doesn't work; setup is dead. I need to know how to do CPR. Oh. And it's stuck on CBL/SAT (so at least I can watch TV).

All ideas welcome!
post #17 of 32 Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AArrrggghhhh...
The Onkyo has frozen up. The remote does nothing. I changed the batteries, but that's not it. The volume control doesn't work; setup is dead. I need to know how to do CPR. Oh. And it's stuck on CBL/SAT (so at least I can watch TV).

All ideas welcome!

What do you mean Onkyo has frozen up? Or are you saying the receiver just not respond to the remote signal? Does any of the buttons on the receiver work? If just the remote, make sure none of the remote buttons got stuck in the down position which can cause no repsond from other buttons when pressed.
post #18 of 32 Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 AM

If the problem is the REMOTE only, then most likely you reprogrammed the receiver to a different remote.

Yes, I did THAT too!

If this is the problem, the fix is in the Owner's Manual, page 35 bottom right:
1. PRESS AND HOLD DOWN RECEIVER, and HOLD DOWN SETUP, until the remote indicator lights. (that is the light ON the remote!)

2. Use the number buttons to enter ID 1, 2 or 3. Doesn't matter which. You are assigning a number to THAT SPECIFIC REMOTE. Just pick a number. Default was 2, mine is now on 3.

Sigh.

This is what happened: you were in setup, and went to HARDWARE, and changed the number for the remote. Then you pressed RETURN and locked your remote out, lol.
post #19 of 32 Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to do the dreaded "reset" when you hold down the VCR button while pressing the OFF/Standby button. I thereby "cancelled" whatever I did. Today I go back at setting it up, but I may just keep all the defaults since I'm clueless anyway.
post #20 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Hey, did you get it all working?

Quote:

I did hone in on my cable box and my dishnet 722 DVR and what dya know. The HDMI does not do 5.1. You must use an optical TOS cable instead, or in my case, in addition to the HDMI connection.

So this is specific to the DVR? You can get the TV part working without the TOS cable, right?

I sure hope so; my dvd/vcr unit is old and doesn't HAVE a tos link. I still haven't had time to phone in and get help getting the Dolby working for that unit.
post #21 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Freedom, not to worry. I believe 5.1 is now working and without the optical cables installed after all! Technical writers need to clarify things a bit better so people like me don't go off in tangents.
post #22 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 PM

How did you get it to work, cause I cant get my rear speakers to work. Im running my PS3 into the Repeater, and then that into the TV (using all HDMI) But no matter what I do I cant get the rear speakers to work. Also I can actually have the 3300 repeaters settings. I cant access 4-6 which 6 being Level Calibration is pretty important. And when i hit display is shows Dolby 5.1 on the repeater.
post #23 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhallway View Post

How did you get it to work, cause I cant get my rear speakers to work. Im running my PS3 into the Repeater, and then that into the TV (using all HDMI) But no matter what I do I cant get the rear speakers to work. Also I can actually have the 3300 repeaters settings. I cant access 4-6 which 6 being Level Calibration is pretty important. And when i hit display is shows Dolby 5.1 on the repeater.

Hi Dan, make sure the receiver is set to using only speaker "A" (and not A and B).
post #24 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cant access 4-6 which 6 being Level Calibration is pretty important. And when i hit display is shows Dolby 5.1 on the repeater.

Don't understand, what do you mean by this?
post #25 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM

when u hit setup or whatever it comes up with the main settings directory's. 1-10 well for me no matter what 4-6 is greyed out and non accessible. So I cant mess with the Level Calibration. Also ive tried with A on only, B on only (no sound at all) and A + B but still same thing no rear speakers sound.
post #26 of 32 Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when u hit setup or whatever it comes up with the main settings directory's. 1-10 well for me no matter what 4-6 is greyed out and non accessible. So I cant mess with the Level Calibration. Also ive tried with A on only, B on only (no sound at all) and A + B but still same thing no rear speakers sound.

Ok, make sure Audio Tv Out and Speaker "B" is turned Off and also no headphone is connected.
post #27 of 32 Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Ok its finally showing all settings on the repeater accessible. Even though I didnt change anything I just turned it on when I got home. So I went to Level Calibration and it sends sound through the rear speakers, So I know they work. But when watching a DVD thru the ps3 It still doesnt produce sound in the rear speakers. I have Autio TV out off, speaker B off, and dont have any headphones to plug in anyways. So im guessing it has to with the ps3, or the repeater picking up the sound from the ps3. I also make sure in movie setup i select 5.1 surround. So...No idea what to do now.
post #28 of 32 Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Ok its finally showing all settings on the repeater accessible. Even though I didnt change anything I just turned it on when I got home. So I went to Level Calibration and it sends sound through the rear speakers, So I know they work. But when watching a DVD thru the ps3 It still doesnt produce sound in the rear speakers. I have Autio TV out off, speaker B off, and dont have any headphones to plug in anyways. So im guessing it has to with the ps3, or the repeater picking up the sound from the ps3. I also make sure in movie setup i select 5.1 surround. So...No idea what to do now.

Set up your PS3 up this way
http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd...with-your-ps3/

BTW's its a RECEIVER not repeater. All this repeater talk confused me
post #29 of 32 Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM

What about bitstream? cause i got a ps3 slim. Does using optical line and bitstream allow for use of true dolby hd?

also i finally got all speakers to work. but i dont think the bass is working like it should.

reason I called it a REPEATER was someone on reviews said the new models are repeaters not receivers. but i dont know for sure.
post #30 of 32 Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

What about bitstream? cause i got a ps3 slim. Does using optical line and bitstream allow for use of true dolby hd?

also i finally got all speakers to work. but i dont think the bass is working like it should.

reason I called it a REPEATER was someone on reviews said the new models are repeaters not receivers. but i dont know for sure.

Yes you can bitstream with the to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD with your PS3 slim but it MUST be done with an HDMI cable. Also your receiver needs to have the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA hd codec so it can decode the audio. And you only get that HD audio from Blu-ray's

optical cables only allow for regulate dolby digital but not the HD audio

Not sure what that reviewer was doing calling a receiver, a repeater.

Whats funny with the bass?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page