Newbie, need some advice on HTIB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i have been looking to get a HTIB system. I have come accross the blu-ray receivers and the AV receivers. I've seen systems from $250 and up. If someone can help me understand the real difference between systems, that would be great, and suggestions are welcome.

This is what i have:

50" Samsung HDTV
PS3
Dish network HDTV/DVR box.
room size is 15x24 set up short way

If someone can give me the ideal setup with these components, that would be great, ideally under 400 bucks if possible. Im looking for a 5.1 system. I have seen the Onkyo HT-S3300 and the samsung HT-C6600 to give you guys an idea of what im looking at right now.

The blu-ray player and internet connectivity most blu-ray receivers offer i consider a bonus, and not a necesity since i have the ps3, but if for the same money i can get the bluray, i would get that if the sound/specs are reletively equal.

One main difference and concern i have seen is the bluray systems only have 1 HDMI, if any, but about 1000watts, while the AV receivers with similar price have multiple HDMI inputs and about 500 watts. Keep in mind i want to get the most out of my bluray, so i would want the TruHD and stuff like that you get with the HDMI cables.

Also guys, is there a loss of sound quality between wired speakers and wireless ones?

Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 PM

I'm actually happy with the HT-S3300 I bought last week after having to return the 1st one as the audio died after an hour. For $300 it's not a bad system for a smaller space and it has the 3 HDMI in and does all the codecs you are interested in. It doesn't compare to my 7.1 system at home (TX-SR805 + Klipsch) but it does the job in a small apartment while I get relocated.

I picked mine up at Fry's knowing that if I really didn't like it after a couple of weeks I could return it w/o any problems. The main selling point for me in the $300 price range was the HDMI switching. Get a harmony remote and you'll be all set.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 171
For $400 the best system you can get is the Onkyo HT-S5300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120168

Honestly those all in one blu-ray and HTIB are extremely extremely over stating their watts. Do not use that to decide you are going with them
post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

what about the heat factor, i've been reading ppl complain that the onkyo runs hot. Also, if i can get good quality sound with the inputs i want (HDMI) from a blu-ray player, i might as well go with that since they look nicer too, they are not too bulky. I really dont need all the inputs the A/V receivers have.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekman13 View Post

what about the heat factor, i've been reading ppl complain that the onkyo runs hot. Also, if i can get good quality sound with the inputs i want (HDMI) from a blu-ray player, i might as well go with that since they look nicer too, they are not too bulky. I really dont need all the inputs the A/V receivers have.

You don't need an All in one set up!!!!! The PS3 is a perfect Blu-Ray player and infact the player many member here use to play blu-rays me being one of them

These all in one set-ups you will basically be ready to throw out when one part of them breaks, they are disposable so be ready to throw out your $400 investment when you could still be using the onkyo.

HT-S5300 accepts HDMI audio!!!!! It also has the latest codecs for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

The problem with the systems that "look nicer" is their audio quality is CRAP! You are buying a HTIB for good sound not to have something looking nice on your shelf.

Heat will not be that big of an issue as long as the receiver has an inch or too around it to breathe.

You may not feel you need the inputs now but you most likely down the line. With the PS3, then comes the HD cable box, then the HTPC, than the iPod. etc etc
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

For $400 the best system you can get is the Onkyo HT-S5300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120168

Honestly those all in one blu-ray and HTIB are extremely extremely over stating their watts. Do not use that to decide you are going with them

Would you still recommend the S5300 over the S3300 if you didn't want the 7.1?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

So looking thru some more reviews and receivers, i saw the Denon DHT-590BA, which is about 400 bucks on amazon, but then i saw the DHT-591BA, which i guess is the newer version. I do not have a 3-D tv, and i dont think i will buy one for a while IF i do. Other than that feature (HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4) is there any other diference? Is it worth me spending the extra 200 and getting the newer version?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Time View Post

Would you still recommend the S5300 over the S3300 if you didn't want the 7.1?

Yes!

I have a 7.1 receiver and I only use a 5.1 set-up and you can run the s5300 as 5.1 and the receiver and speaker set with the s5300 is better than the s3300's
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekman13 View Post

So looking thru some more reviews and receivers, i saw the Denon DHT-590BA, which is about 400 bucks on amazon, but then i saw the DHT-591BA, which i guess is the newer version. I do not have a 3-D tv, and i dont think i will buy one for a while IF i do. Other than that feature (HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4) is there any other diference? Is it worth me spending the extra 200 and getting the newer version?

you need a TV with 3d hdmi v1.4 ports to appreciate the difference. So you are not missing anything.

with the hdmi 1.4 comes the feature of 3d and Audio Return Channel on your HDMI cable, so pretty much just need to run one HDMI cable to the tv for video and audio. But your TV needs to support ARC itself meaning it has the v1.4 hdmi ports

The Denon DHT-590ba is a great buy at $400 with not need for 3d
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page