Onkyo HT-S3300 audio dropouts and popping noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone

I was hoping someone might have a solution to the following problem I've been having, that I can't find an answer to. When I search for this, all I encounter is posts on other forums of other people having the same problem without resolution or a similar problem, but not one pertaining to mine specifically. I also encounter contradictory answers about what others believe the problem to be.

My setup is...

A new Onkyo HT-S3300 HTIB package. I believe I have the HT-R380 AV receiver. I have it hooked up to my Panasonic TV and the receiver is also hooked up to my ATT U-verse box, all done via HDMI. I also have a Panasonic blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI to the receiver as well, in case you need to know this.

Also, I have the U-verse box set to stream audio in "Stereo" and not "Surrond Sound", which is an option ATT provides. I mention this since ATT's surround sound feature is known to have a dropout in audio approximately every 15-20 seconds when you select this option. I know this because a lot of other customers have complained about this on the U-verse forums. Although I have only heard one instance about this happening on with the stereo option.

My dilemma is...

Ever since I've had the Onkyo system, I keep hearing these popping noises from the speakers and the audio will drop out as well for a couple seconds or sometimes a little longer when watching TV broadcasts. If I recall correctly it also happens when I watch movies on my blu-ray player. But it only seems to happen at the beginning of watching images display on screen (such as trailers), along with the image dropping completely as well and going to black.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Also, could anyone tell me why when I watch many HD programs (not commercials), why the aspect ratio ratio of a certain program is scaled down to that of standard definition channels (or similar aspect ratio)? I have the U-verse box set up to display programming in 1080i in "System Options", but this still occurs.

The audio dropouts/popping and image down-scaling issue was never a problem before I had the Onkyo AV receiver, and just had everything hooked up directly to the TV.

I notice on my other HDTV (one without an AV receiver) that some HD stations that broadcast content, such as old 90's films, have the black bars on the side with the stations logo, and is to be expected on both HDTV setups I have. But some programs I watch in HD have the HD label, and these broadcasts are scaled down on AV receiver setup, yet not on the one without. Shouldn't programming with this label always fit the screen without the black side bars? You can see the HD label I'm referring to, in this image I pulled from the web:

Big thanks to anyone who has answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
first, you need to be positive that the noise you are hearing is present on each of the HDMI inputs on the a/v receiver. If it is one source causing the problem it is probably the source equipment that is the problem. If the noise is present on several HDMI inputs than you probably need the receiver replaced while under warranty.

As to the black bars, many HD movies that are shown "full scale" are not 16:9 (1.78 to 1) ratio, they are a wider movie aspect ratio like 2.35 to 1. To avoid cutting off the left and right sides of the image, they use narrow letterbox black lines top and bottom to display the full movie image.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you for answering my questions! I'll be sure to check if each HDMI input on the receiver is having problems and go from there.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page