Sony HT-SS370 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a little research I picked up a Sony HT-SS370 last night. I'm trying to find ways to extend the speaker cables without jeopardizing the sound quality. Since the Sony speaker cables are proprietary extending the wires isn't as easy. My question is would it be okay to splice the proprietary plug end to the extending cables? Also, I believe the Sony wires are around 22 gauge, would it be okay to splice it to 18 gauge wires or should I stick with 22 gauge. My other question is, since the sub woofer is hard wired, which sucks, would splicing the wire in 2 spots, one at the sub end and the other being the plug end, be okay? I have found some universal proprietary plugs that fit into the Sony unit on ebay that come with 18 gauge ends so I could go that route as well. But does using a say 16 or 18 gauge instead of the wire it comes with worth it?

Any advice is appreciated. Even if that advice is that I should take this HTIB back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 PM

I have this system, and i love the sound.
That does, however seem like a lot of trouble. I reccomend either
A) purcahsing sony's own longer speaker cable (if available)
B) trying out placement with the stock sub wire
C) Return

BTW Can you post a link of the adapter on ebay? i am dying to find one
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sony produces a wireless kit for that system, if you can find the transceiver card for the SS370 side (or just buy a kit that includes one, like the Altus A33's as they close-out) - available from sonystyle

as far as splicing in new wires, don't see why it wouldn't work, larger gauge will be fine (you'll be lower the wire impedance per meter, but if you're going over very long distances its a better overall situation) - just make sure you do a decent job

alternately, if you're really adventurous, you could open the Sony unit up and add in proper spring/screw terminals to the receiver (don't do this if you don't know what I'm talking about, please, would hate to see someone injured) - would let you do whatever you like with respect to wiring
post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Dammit, I bought a used Rocketfish wireless transmitter on ebay without doing my research.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone.

blazing_angel_...seems like I can't post a link yet but look up the seller "bogue_engineering" they sell the universal proprietary connectors.

I emailed the guy who makes these and he knows his stuff. Sony's do use the 4.2mm connectors so make sure you purchase those ones.

I'm going to splice the wires and extend. I've been reading around and it sounds like it will not effect the sound quality as long as I do a clean job and connect to the correct polarity.

I plugged in the stock wires for now to do a sound check. I did the auto-calibrate but it seemed like when you do that the sub's level stays at 0.0? Has anyone else noticed that? I turned it up to +4. Does anyone else have recommended calibrations for the speakers?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM

I have remodeled my home. For a guest room I bought a Sony HT-SS370. I sounds good for the price. The problem though is that I pre wired the room during construction with some decent speaker wire, GE Ultra Pro. 14ga if memory serves correct. Will this wire work with the Sony system and the proprietary connections? I want to use the wire I pulled in the wall because the speaker wire that came with the system isn't long enough. Thoughts on how to splice???
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 44
so I'm buying this box off some random guy on craigslist (great plan, I know ) but he doesn't have a TV (warning #2 ) or a car (warning #3 ) so I'm pretty sure this is destined to fail but it's $50 so I figure it's worth the risk.

I'm trying to figure out is there a way that I can author a DVD to put into the machine that will play automatically that will test all 6 speakers discretely? I'm not looking to do a whole ton of work so if it's a 25 step process then maybe I will just chance it.

or is there something I can do on my phone and run that in to the system? Seems like RCA audio wouldn't be able to fully test 5.1 but what do I know.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 0
well done,me too,I'm going to splice the wires and extend. I've been reading around and it sounds like it will not effect the sound quality as long as I do a clean job and connect to the correct polarity.[IMG]http://*******/Ffva1z[/IMG]thanks
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
so I'm buying this box off some random guy on craigslist (great plan, I know ) but he doesn't have a TV (warning #2 ) or a car (warning #3 ) so I'm pretty sure this is destined to fail but it's $50 so I figure it's worth the risk.

I'm trying to figure out is there a way that I can author a DVD to put into the machine that will play automatically that will test all 6 speakers discretely? I'm not looking to do a whole ton of work so if it's a 25 step process then maybe I will just chance it.

or is there something I can do on my phone and run that in to the system? Seems like RCA audio wouldn't be able to fully test 5.1 but what do I know.
Pickup an SPL meter and adjust that way. There are phone apps, (Apple has a nice one), but the best way to use those is to actually connect an HDMI cable from the phone to your receiver. Good luck on your Craigslist purchase.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Pickup an SPL meter and adjust that way. There are phone apps, (Apple has a nice one), but the best way to use those is to actually connect an HDMI cable from the phone to your receiver. Good luck on your Craigslist purchase.
typical w CL, someone swooped in and bought it beforeI could -thanks for advice.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page